Stefan Struve vs. Paul Buentello set for UFC 107

UFC 107A heavyweight battle between Stefan Struve and returning UFC veteran Paul Buentello has been made official for UFC 107.

The event will take place on December 12 from Memphis, Tennessee, featuring a headlining lightweight championship bout between B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez.

Buentelllo was previously expected to face off with heavyweight wrecking machine Todd Duffee at the event before an injury forced the fast rising prospect from the card.

Appropriately coined “The Skyscraper. the 6’10”, 240 pound Struve sports a professional record of 18-3 with 14 submissions to his credit. The towering Dutch submission specialist is currently riding a two-fight win streak with the UFC with both wins coming by submission, after having dropped his Octagon debut via TKO at the hands of Junior dos Santos in February of this year.

Making his first return to the UFC in close to four years, Buentello is known as a power puncher with a penchant for knocking his opponents senseless. He currently holds an impressive UFC record of 3-1, with his last bout coming in January of this year, stopping “Baby Fedor” Kirill Sidelnikov during “Affliction: Day of Reckoning” via TKO.

This one is a clear cut case of the old school “classic striker vs. grappler match-up” at it’s finest.

A full list of the bouts expected for UFC 107 are listed below:

Wiman
    Hendricks
    Palhares
    DaMarques
    Grant

• Dufresne says:

I’m loving that my first live UFC is going to have a championship bout, a former champ, and several other great fighters!

I’m calling BJ with a sub victory in either the 2nd or 3rd. Diego may be a great wrestler and hard to stop, or even slow down, but he’s never faced anyone with BJ’s flexibility and submission game.

I’m calling Mir by sub too, but I’m not as positive on this one. The last time we saw Mir go against a good striker (Vera) he got his face pounded pretty quickly. But Mir’s standup has been improving rapidly and there’s no doubt his ground game is far superior to Kongo’s (or lack thereof).

I think Florian will probably go to decision for the victory even though he prides himself on finishing fights. If that nasty head kick from Diego didn’t stop The Carpenter, I’m not sure that Florian will be able to knock him out, and Guida’s wrestling ain’t too shabby either.

As for the latest addition, I’ve got Buentello taking this by 2nd round TKO. Struve is big and has a pretty ridiculous ground game for a big man, but he has to get inside of those bombs Buentello is throwing.

Overall I’m liking this card a lot and can’t wait for it to get here!

• jding3 says:

Hopefully BJ Penn doesn’t get injured in this fight, like all the other UFC champs lol that would suck. it’s too bad this is the only championship fight we will see in a while but hopefully it’s a good one. Diego is an explosive fighter, but I can’t see him dismantling Penn. I gotta go Penn by UD. As much as i like Kongo I can’t see him beating Mir

• bigbadjohn says:

I don’t like Mir personally but he is one dangerous man. I’m putting my house on Frank here. Kongo should stick to kickboxing

• Bullylover says:

this card is going to be awsome and this matchup only stacks the card even more. Struve is an exciting fighter who always puts on exciting fights and is going to be a force in the future. As awsome as struve is i got to go with buentello here, the headhunter is one bad dude .Regardless of who wins this one its going to be a barnburner.

• Rich S. says:

Dufresne: Diego may be a great wrestler and hard to stop, or even slow down, but he’s never faced anyone with BJ’s flexibility and submission game.

Well, Diego out-jiu-jitsu’d Nick Diaz for 3 straight rounds.
    Alot of people forget that Diego is a SICK submissionist.
    In his last 5 fights or so, he has strictly focused on his striking, and when that doesn’t work he uses his wrestling. But, in his first couple fights in the UFC, he was rolling all over guys looking for submissions..
    Everyone just thinks of him as a wrestler, but he has some of the best BJJ around.. He just doesn’t use it anymore.. Sadly, that’s why he’s going to lose this fight.. He’s going to strike for as long as he can, and he can NOT hang with BJ in the striking..

As far as Struve/Buentello goes, that’s a great fight..
    I see it going one of two ways:
    1. Struve gets rocked, falls to the ground, and nabs a submission..
    2. Struve gets beat up on the feet and TKO’d ala Struve/Dos Santos..

• xtreme_machine says:

Buentello 1st KO

• edub says:

BJ Penn by whatever: Diego is great on the ground and good standing, but he’s just not on BJs level. No one in the world is at 155lbs.
    Cheick Kongo by KO: I might be wrong here just like with Sokoudjou but I just have a feeling were gonna see frank try to stand for too long and he’ll get clipped.
    Kenny Florian by SD: In what should be a great back n forth battle Ill take Kenny in a fight that might not have as much action, but will be along the lines of Diego vs Guida.
    Jon Fitch by UD: Both men were the only to control Brock Larson in the cage, but Mike Pierce’s name isnt GSP. So that means he loses a dec to Fitch.
    Paul Buentello by dec or late tko: I think Struve will waste some energy throughout the fight going for takedowns and the headhunter will just weather the storm and outlast his younger inexperienced counterpart.
    Wilson Gouveia by KO in FOTN: Pick em fight here. If both come to fight I think Belcher will outlast Gouveia, but I think at one point Belcher will get careless and get caught.
    Matt Wiman by dec: Close fight here. Matt Wiman is better on the ground and I think Nelson has more talent standing. It looks to me like when the going get tough Nelson loses steam and his technique fails him.
    Hendrix via Dec.
    Palhares via sub
    Garcia via ko
    Burns via dec.
    Ill put the my analysis for those on the preview article.

• Rich S. says:

Also, nice to see Toquinho back in action.. It’s been a while..