Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders & Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt to air free on Spike prior to UFC 106

Marcus DavisA welterweight battle between Marcus Davis and Ben Saunders, along with a middleweight bout between Kendall Grove and Jake Rosholt, have both been tabbed to air live on Spike TV just prior to the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 106.

The telecast is set to kick off on Spike at 9 pm ET just one hour before the start of the main card.

The event is scheduled to take place from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on November 21, featuring a main event between Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin.

Both Davis and Saunders will be looking to build some momentum with a victory, with Marcus recently dropping a close decision to Dan Hardy at UFC 99, and Ben catching a second round TKO beating at the hands of Mike Swick during the same event.

Grove will also be looking to set things straight following a unanimous decision defeat to “The Big Dog”, Ricardo Almeida during UFC 101, while Rosholt is fresh off of the biggest victory of his rapidly developing career, finishing Chris Leben with an arm-triangle in the second round of their UFC 102 meeting.

Below is a full list of the bouts expected for UFC 106:

Un-Aired Prelims

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann

Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson

Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno

Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos

• xtreme_machine says:

hopefully this would urn into a tradition and they would do the same for all PPVs

• edub says:

Very cool. Glad to see lil Nog and Cane get on the main card. I think Davis is lookin at another loss here. Ever since he lost all that muscle mass he hasnt looked as good. I would hope that isnt evidence he was using performance enhancers. But IMO it very well could be.

• bigbadjohn says:

• edub says:

bigbadjohn: Ya I’d say it probably is pretty good evidence, edub. I’d say its a bigger issue than anyone thinks and chooses to talk about.

I know John I just dont understand why no one ever brings it up! He gained all this muscle and most of his fights were outside of the US. The fact that on TUF he was under 170lbs, and 1 year later he’s looking around 185 on fight night I think should be discussed. He also came out and said stuff like I dont think GSP can match my strength when he was on his win streak made me start to notice the transition.

• Connor Cobain says:

• David Andrest says:

Connor Cobain: How the hell does Amir Sadollah get a main card fight and Marcus Davis gets on the prelim. Amir has only one win and that was his TUF finale where as Marcus has only had two losses in the last few years and his last was EXTREMEMLY close. At least this is a win for the Irish Hand Grenade and he can start getting his momentum again.

If you are looking for the honest answer to that question, It’s because Amir is the bigger star, and the powers that be feel as if more people would pay to see him fight.

• Vogairian says:

edub:
    I know John I just dont understand why no one ever brings it up! He gained all this muscle and most of his fights were outside of the US.The fact that on TUF he was under 170lbs, and 1 year later he’s looking around 185 on fight night I think should be discussed. He also came out and said stuff like I dont think GSP can match my strength when he was on his win streak made me start to notice the transition.After all this he gets a pretty serious injury lifting, and suddenly when he’s healthy enough to come back he doenst wanna lift as much anymore so he goes back to his old self. Its just extremely fishy to me.

• Rich S. says:

Great fights here..

It’ll be nice watching Davis/Saunders live for free… and I never realized just how stacked this card is, even without Lesnar/Carwin..

• danw84 says:

Amir is on the main card because he won The Ultimate Fighter. To throw him onto the undercard after one loss would imply quite a bit about the quality of their TUF winners.

• edub says:

Vogairian: Not positive, but I believe the fighters are drug tested in the UK. Not for sure, but looking it up it seems Chris Leban failed a drug test in the UK for UFC 89, which happened to be a card Davis faught on.

The UFC conducts their own testing for certain fighters. There is no sanctioning body that does it. I am of the opinion that alot more people are on performance enhancers than get caught. I mean if HGH is used correctly than it is impossible to test for.

• dpk says:

if a country or state doesn’t do its own drug testing, then UFC has Marc Ratner the former head of the Nevada State Athletic Commission oversee a testing program for the card. That doesn’t mean that he wasn’t on something, alot of athletes become experts on getting around testing.

• fanoftna33 says:

Davis seems to be getting knocked down a lot these last few fights, when he first started out he was a rock and couldnt be hurt. Remember his tuf fight against Guillard- he took everything Melvin had and that guy hits hard. I think Davis is getting into Wanderlei Silve territory where all the damage is catching up to him.

• Jew Jitsu says:

Why does Brock Larson continue to be put on the undercard. This guy is an animal that I would like to see fight!

• Angry Mike says:

Any rumors about Groves’ status if he loses? (which I think he will).

• Angry Mike: Any rumors about Groves’ status if he loses? (which I think he will).

If any TUF winner is one loss away from being cut, it’s Mac Danzig. Dude has dropped like 3 in a row since his TUF Finale win. Grove is 2-1 in his last three and still has a little wiggle room, I think.

• Makington says:

Dana openly hinted that he would probably cut Kendall if he lost before he beat Jason Day. Since then he is 1-1 (Day, Almeida) If he loses, although I think he will pull off a sub, I think he might be out of the UFC for a bit. Danzig I figured would already be cut. He lost to some legit competition, but 0-3 is terrible no matter how you cut it. If he does fight again in the UFC he will probably be against a nobody to give him a win.

The only TUF winner right now that has been cut is Travis Lutter, which after 9 seasons now, with something like 13 winners, is actually pretty good.

• Makington says:

BTW, @ Rich. I agree. When I heard how Lesnar/Carwin was canceled I thought the card was basically screwed, but now that I really look at each fight, it seems like a great card to me. Very glad they moved Johnson/Kos into this card.