Dana White: Fedor ‘got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers’, time to see ‘Lesnar smash his head’

danawhiteUFC President Dana White has a long history of shooting from his hip and letting the world know exactly where he stands on the issues. Staying true to form, the outspoken face of the UFC recently had some interesting remarks in regards to Fedor Emelianenko‘s TKO victory over Brett Rogers during this past Saturday’s Strikeforce broadcast on CBS.

In a recent conversation with the L.A. Times, White had this to say, “The guy just got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers. Do you know what Brock or [UFC heavyweights] Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez would do to Brett Rogers?

“It’s time to bring this guy [Fedor] in, to see Brock Lesnar smash his head.”

Personally, I don’t know what Lesnar, Mir, and particularly Cain Velasquez would do to a guy like Brett Rogers, because they’ve never fought. To make the assumption that Rogers, who utterly embarrassed a former UFC champion in Andrei Arlovski recently, would just have his lunch money taken from him at the hands of a still developing Velasquez just reeks of a promoter doing his job, and doing it well.

As far as Lesnar smashing Fedor’s head is concerned, if it’s the same kind of smashing White claims Fedor received at the hands of Rogers where the 260+ pound knockout artist wound up flat on his back, it would likely be a smashing Fedor is willing to take.

• xtreme_machine says:

Then step up them and make the fight Dana

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

cory, your perspective is perfect.this is dana attempting to turn competition into success for his own business. I believe that it is within dana’s power to arrange a single fight, non title bout between the two, regardless of what company they fight for.of course, this will never actually happen. since dana couldn’t sign fedor, his recourse is now to undermine him and make him less, while preaching the strength of his own fighters.

• moosebaby02 says:

machine you mean M1 step up and make the fight.

• Angry Mike says:

Hyperbole can be an effective rhetorical device, but it needs to be used with some restraint. Dana has the hyperbole down cold, but restraint isn’t part of his repertoire.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is just Dana being Dana and talking out of his ass.
    Rogers from all I have seen would fare very well in the ufc and Dana knows this.
    Fedor likely would walk through an inexperienced Lessner, Velasquez almost at will.
    Fedor vs Mir might be a little more interesting giving Mirs newly develpoed striking and both of there grappling abilities.
    I think anybody who fights Rogers is going to have some facial trauma after the fight, we might as well say Carwin got his face smashed by prennial big fight loser Gonzaga, and now he gets a title shot, oh wait he fights for the ufc its ok if our guys get broken noses to subpar fighters and go on to title fights but if it is Fedor lets call him out.
    Dana needs to shut the hell up sometimes.

• HonorableAggression says:

I think fedor is completely over-hyped, but I have a lot of respect for him as a fighter and sorry but I’m not going to let anyone take away from his performance, that was a laser-focused right hand ko, and he showed a lot of tenacity and resiliency. I do think Fedor hasn’t looked like a world-beater his last few fights, but they are W’s all the same.
    I honestly think good boxing will take fedor down, thats why I was positive arlovski was gonna shock everyone, lol, but he does throw big looping punches that while fast leave him very exposed to counter shots to the head, I’ve seen him do it over and over his last few fights.
    Of course this is Dana just being obnoxious and an ass, whats funny about it to me is he’s like howard stern, everyone listens to what he says whether they hate him or love him, and it works to his advantage I think, unfortunately.

• Lerner17 says:

I think that a Fedor/Lesnar fight would be halfway decent, and for sure a money grabber if it were on PPV. Of course, with Brock not being able to stay healthy long enough to defend his title, and Dana’s unwillingness to have his guys fight anyone outside of the UFC, it will probably never happen. The thing is though, I believe that Fedor would either win or lose very closely to Brock

• Djangoplata says:

If Dana signs Fedor, Brock will come up with some other mystery illness and hide at home behind his wife until Fedor retires.

• jding3 says:

fanoftna33 says:
    November 10, 2009 at 2:29 pm (Quote)

This is just Dana being Dana and talking out of his ass.

Props to that. In all honesty I don’t think Velasquez would beat Rogers. I don’t think he has the striking or power to knock Rogers out. I think the only way Rogers beats Velasquez is if he outwrestles him similar to what Shields did to Mayhem.

As far as Carwin Vs. Rogers, that’s an interesting matchup since they are both huge guys. That one smells like a first round knockout for whoever lands the first big bomb.

• Vogairian says:

I don’t disagree with much of what Dana said here. Rogers tore through a bunch of unknowns/scrubs and then beat Arlovski with a sloppy barrage of punches and suddenly he became a real threat to Fedor. He’s nowhere near a top 5 HW like a few people said and he barely cracks the top 10 in my mind, people just wanted this fight to mean more than it ever did so Rogers was built up and sacrificed to Fedor.

As for Fedor getting his face smashed by Brock, I think we all know that’s just Dana talking up his own guy like any good promoter would do.

• 27jride says:

all this speculation is getting so old! Fedor signed up to fight in the minor leagues (and no one can argue that SF has top tier competition) for whatever reason, that’s just the way it is. Absolutely Dana can be an asshole but ultimately he’s trying to make the top fighters in the world fight each other (which is great for us fans) in his organization so he can make the money (which is great for him), can anyone blame him? Honestly, what’s he supposed to do? Go out there and say “hey that was a great fight! Wish those guys were fighting for me; fans should watch SF more often because they’re an up and coming threat to my business that I’ve worked very hard to build! All the while I’ve been providing you fans with the best MMA fights on the planet (and making tons of money) but I’m ready to hand things over and settle for mediocracy.” Of course he’s gonna say the shit he says…. and we should be happy because SF just proved that they have some serious inferiorities when it comes to producing a show!

• Connor Cobain says:

Honestly Im with Dana, Fedor did’nt do that great against Rogers. Yes he won by a big knockout but if he was against a more expirienced opponent he would of gotten beat. The way I look at it Shane Carwin and Rogers are very similar but I believe Carwin could of beaten Fedor. Lesner and Mir as well but im not so sure about Cain. The truth is that Fedor has beaten a couple of tough guys but the UFC has honestly better guys that COULD beat him.

• bigbadjohn says:

fanoftna, fedor would walk through lesnar? I’m a Lesnar fan (and a Fedor fan Obv, who isn’t?) and I’d like to see him be the first to beat Fedor but I wouldn’t put my hard earned dollar on it. if Brett can go 1 and a half rounds respectably and quite composed I don’t think assuming Fedor would so easily beat Lesnar is that well thought through of a theory (just hating).Arlovski was a pretty damn good match-up for Brett, a smaller pure Striker. On the other hand, your boy Mir who you are suggesting would be Fedor’s biggest competition was an extremely challenging match up stylistically for Brock, and after refining his approach the first time he absolutely embarrassed Mir. Punching is a very effective way to finish a fight but look upon the greats, great wrestling/grappling is probably the most effective tool to having a prosperous career in the bigs.

• fanoftna33 says:

Bigbadjohn, you make some good points about wrestling being effective.
    I am not a lessner hater, acually the opposit, I like what he brings to the cage. But looking at his style it is basically stand until he gets hit and take the guy down. Mir was doing pretty good striking with Brock last fight, so was Randy. Fedor will outstrike Brock anyday and anybody who says differently is probably a Fedor hater . We already know Fedor has a good chin as he has been tagged by some of the best ever and hasnt been dropped yet. Grappling wise Brock may be able to take Fedor down but do you really think over a 25 min fight Brock could avoid a submission from him?
    Brock has the brute strength to win fights, but against a guy like Fedor who has great Subs and is one of if not the best Sambo fighters in the world I dont see how a guy who has been training for less than 3 years can win.

• bigbadjohn says:

Not a lesnar hater? you keep spelling his name with two S’s. This is absurd. Did you say he’s been training for 3 years? He went to college for wrestling. That is a martial art. Brock is a martial artist. He may be big and not incredibly well rounded yet but he is the UFC champion. A match at Grapplersquest, no Brock doesn’t have a shot at beating Fedor. But in a cage in the UFC, yes he does. Fights don’t have go the distance. if Fedor takes even a few more shots on the ground from Brett saturday night, the match would have been stopped. That is the truth. Remember the Mir gameplan? Brock takes him down and moves him to a corner of the cage (where Mir’s ground abilities are most difficult to employ) and pounded. Mir is a savvy well rounded 240 lb. veteran. Sound familiar?

• Same old Dana, LOL!!

Fedor took what Rogers gave him and he was still standing. A man who out weighs Fedor by more than 20 lbs. and Fedor was still composed……No face getting smashed here Dana.

Even if Brock smashes Fedor’s head, Fedor will just transition to the next move and pick apart Brock having the same composed look like his head was never smashed at all.

Fedor’s head was BODY SLAMMED HEAD FIRST to the mat by Randleman and Fedor was still ALIVE. LOL!! It didn’t even phase him and went after the kill afterwards. Do your worst Brock!! hahaha

And sorry Dana, but I don’t think Mir,Brock, or Cain will walk through Rogers so easily.

Rogers is very fierce and has a lot to prove and really has no fear against his opponents which makes him a very dangerous fighter. I’m not saying he’ll win against the UFC elite but it won’t be a cake walk for the UFC the way Dana described it.

• Pajamashark says:

Dana is acting like jilted lover.

Fedor doesn’t want you Dana! He’s just not that in to you! He broke-up with you and the UFC and has moved on. You keep putting his name in your mouth and its so clear you are not over him.

Go eat a pint of ice cream, put on a Kelly Clarkson album and have a good cry, Dana. Then get on with your life and focus on the fighters you have and not the one that got away.

• bigbadjohn says:

Come on guys Fedor is really good but don’t get your knickers in a knot. It is after all Brett Rogers. The reason why he was SF number one contender was because he beat Arlovski in a quick wild punch-off. Arlovski! Who lost to Tim Sylvia twice. Fedor hasn’t had a true challenger in ages.

• edub says:

Arlovski, Sylvia, and Rogers were all true challengers. All in top ten and Arlovski was #2 on almost every site at the time.

• Rich S. says:

I actually think Brock would give Fedor a lot of problems.. But he wouldn’t beat him..

Statements like these are so annoying, because Dana makes them KNOWING that these two will never actually fight..

• 3OAM says:

I sort of agree with Dana. I don’t agree that Brett Rogers is an unskilled opponent. He’s got sledgehammers for fists and knows how to use ’em…I just don’t think that there’s much more for Fedor in Strikeforce. Sure, he can take that piddly little Strikeforce belt (he would most likely blow through Alistair Overeem) but then what? He already tossed Gegard around…who else is really left there? Jan Nortje?

• moosebaby02 says:

If M1 had the balls then they wouldn’t have to co-promote to prove that they have the best fighter in the HW div.
    If Dana and Zuffa had the balls they would cut some kind of a deal to prove that NEW ENEMY who locked the one that got a way (good one Pajamashark) wasn’t worth caving for and have the best stable of HW’s.

Think about it for a sec (it will never happen)

Dana
    1. Not only would it prove the crap you keep spitting is no bull shit but….
    2. It will most likely kill SF shorter than longer. Not saying SF is on the down fall but they have to build up their rosters
    But doing so Dana/Zuffa you will be putting your whole company on one fight?
    Unless you believe in Brock..oh wait mono..so Carwin or Nog..Cane…………mir???????
    Dana you have the nuts. strike a deal that will put you and SF/M1 on CBS for the undisputed HW champion of the world. You win and you and Zuffa are the MMA GODS and CBS will have to give you the world for as long as you live…thats if you believe in Brock……oh wait mono…….so Carwin or Cain..Nog……………..mir?? oh wait im Diazed out…did I already say that????

Croker/SF/M1
    You have Fedor. Ya in MMA weird shit can happen. But you have Fedor. You want to prove you can bang with the big doggs….let it hang out?? You have Fedor. Proving you can do what all the rest failed at doing with out having arrogant mouth that kids and some adults think is funny(dana). I know easier said then done. Your putting you company on one fight. Hey just in case. You have an ace in your sleeve…you have Fedor

Dana/Crocker/SF/M1and the guy who talks for M1 whatever his name is. Ya still Diazed out!!!
    WHO HAS THE BIGGER BALLS?
    M1 I PLEASE I BEG YOU not to give up but take cut of what little profit they offer. What little profit you will get in that win like ppv cuts and 2 million appearance wil be the El Darado in the end and years to come. The timing at first before was great with what they claim they offered but you can not be in a better position as of right now to step out of character for once to put the vice lock on Dana’s nuts right now.
    SF can cock block the UFC UP, DOWN, AND SIDEWAYS with a mega Fedor vs Brock/Carwin/Nog/Cain fight. Dana knows this and that’s why it will never happen

Sorry for all of you who wasted your time in reading this when it all comes down to one thing. There is so much to lose and so much to gain on both sides and that’s the shitty part of it.
    Who has the bigger balls
    And Im Diazed out

• GassedOut says:

This is just what I have come to call Dana-izing, by the founder of the practice. Dana spews crap that he knows will never happen, and then stands back and a) sees the comments on the internet that develop (oh, yes, he’s smarter than he looks) and b) attempts to make as much money and mileage as possible from whatever results (oh, yes, he’s smarter than he looks).

We should pay as much attention to this mindless drivel as it deserves…none but the comedic, which follows?

Oh yeah Dana? Care to put money on that? (I bet not, because he’s smarter than he looks…)

• lemonheadzzz says:

Can’t I just turn on the internets once and a while and not hear Dana bashing Fedor. What an asshole. The UFC is becoming the Yankees of MMA

• bigbadjohn says:

The heavyweight class in which arlovski and sylvia were the dominant fighters is the worst heavyweight class in UFC history. Look up sylvias and arlovskis resumes (a couple reasons they both fought under banners other than the UFC).Tim’s noteable wins are assuerio, jeff monson, an underachiving vera and of course arlovski. His losses are Randy, Nog and Fedor (true challengers) and I won’t even get into the ray mercer embarrassment. Arlovskis resume? even worse, Rothwell, Big Country and Werdum (most impressive), with losses to fedor, rogers recently and sylvia twice. My sentiment, Brett, Arlovski, Sylvia were not challengers with nearly enough tools to beat the great russian. which is why they all got rolled over. Nog or Randy or Brock, maybe Mir, Overeem or Carwin would all be greater challenges for the last emperor.

• […] the heels of his latest verbal tirade to the LA Times, always outspoken and often controversial UFC President Dana White has launched his […]

• Iconoclastic says:

“The guy just got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers.” Rogers landed a FUC**** Jab (which is prob. the equivalent of the bunt in baseball) it does not equate to getting your face smashed. Fedor already had that gash on his nose before the fight started (he is on the cover of Black Belt Mag with that same gash) which is why his nose exploded.

I never seen both Lesnar and Velasquez come back from this type of adversity (not saying it will never happen) and ending a fight emphatically with KO in any of their fights, so until they do this they will remain behind Fedor as the BEST in the Div. As far as Lesnar, Mir, and Velasquez beating Rogers, I don’t think so. I really think Rogers would beat both Lesnar, and MIr but lose a decision to Velasquez via GNP.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Simple as this if the UFC co promotes these fights happen but they don’t and they even go out of there way to stop it.
    Dream, Sengoku, Strikeforce and elite were all willing to but not the UFC…yet.
    They will soon because they will be forced to.

And honor it is obvious that we are going to disagree endlessly because
    1) How can you be overrated when you are 31-1 (31-0-1) having fought Nog, Crocop, Herring, Coleman, Schilt, Hunt, Sylvia, Arlovski, kohsaka, Lindland, Babalu, Arona, Rogers, Randleman, Fujita etc and being a sambo world champ and a judo champion????? He is under hyped if anything, but not for long. I mean he beaten evry top fighter available for him to fight. Oh yeah that guy who has beaten every single fighter he has ever faced in MMA is over-hyped.
    2) “I honestly think good boxing will take fedor down” to this I say I bet you box first of all and 2nd he has beaten Crocop on the feet, Nog and Coleman on the ground and destroyed Semmy Schilt who is probably one of the best strikers in the world full stop, not just a boxer but a kickboxer.