Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen set for UFC 110

nate marquardtWith Dan Henderson not currently under contract with the UFC, and current middleweight title-holder Anderson Silva nursing an injury, Nate Maquardt has been patiently sitting on the sidelines waiting for an opponent.

It now appears the wait is finally over for Marquardt, who is rumored to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 110. According to Sportsnet.ca, the two are awaiting bout agreements and will be added to the UFC’s debut in Sydney, Australia.

Marquardt is coming off a 21-second KO victory over highly regarded submission specialist, Demian Maia. The former Pancrase champion has gone 8-2 since joining the UFC, with his only losses coming from champion Anderson Silva and Thales Leites. Marquardt and Henderson were both top contenders for next in line at a rematch with Silva, but with those match-ups in limbo, Marquardt appears to sit on the sidelines no longer.

Sonnen is coming off a unanimous decision win over Yushin Okami at UFC 104. Sonnen is looking to build off of a two fight win streak and improve on his 2-1 record since entering the octagon. The Team Quest member was vocal about facing Marquardt following his win over Okami, quoted as saying, “…my team member Dan Henderson has a date with Nate Marquardt. I keep hearing rumblings that he wont be able to keep that appointment. If he doesn’t, I will.”

UFC 110 is rumored to be held on February 21st, 2010, with a main event bout between Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama. It will mark the first time the organization will venture into the “land down under”.

• edub says:

I guess good matchup.

No actually no it isnt.

I want the UFC to succeed because I want to see the top fighters fight eachother. But if SF takes over because of better match making and giving the fighters what they deserve I wouldnt mind at all.

Dana and Lorenzo bite the fucking bullet and start paying these guys more money. You dont need to hold every fighter by the balls anymore. Youve made enough money.

• 27jride says:

BORING! Seriously, who gives a shit about Marquardt/ Sonnen? Marquardt out-classes and destroys him (don’t get me wrong, I am NOT a Marquardt fan) and gets nothing out of the deal; and gets no further in the ranks because he fought a “kinda somebody”. This fight is useless and irrelevant.

• xtreme_machine says:

were are all the Okami nut huggers now?

still think that guy deserves a title shot?

this is an easy win for Nate just to keep him in people’s mouth so that he could face the winner of Silva/Vitor

• jgrose23 says:

Edub, What is enough money?? You say that the UFC has made enough money, so what should they do? Just start giving away money? Should they start screwing their fighters out of money like Strikeforce did?? Don’t get me wrong, I want SF to be successful. The more fights, the better. However, you cannot just give money away at will. Strikeforce does not have the roster to put on the amount of quality shows that the UFC can and there is a reason for that.
    I’m tired of the guys on here complaining about the UFC pay scale. Of course everyone wants to see these guys get paid, but you can’t get just dole out money at will. Since you seem to know how to run an MMA organization, Edub, what are the UFC financials??

• Rich S. says:

Well, this is a nice fight.. Marquardt is a better striker and grappler so he shouldn’t have any problems here..

The problem is the step down in competition..
    He now has three straight knockout victories over Kampmann, Gouveia, and Maia.. The latter being a 21 second demolition in what was said to be a #1 contender fight..

I don’t see why they would be afraid to give Marquardt the title shot. He’s very easy to market. He’s a nice, respectable man. He always fights and BEATS top competition in devastating fashion. And he’s fought for the UFC belt before!

So, in all honesty, this is bogus..
    But, I guess when there’s already a title fight set up, you gotta do something in the meantime..

• BigDave says:

Ok i’m gonna see if this makes any sence.

Dan henderson is not in the ufc right now and they have a title fight between silva and belfort already coming up. That left Nate in limbo,but they have now made this fight with sonnen which will be the new number one contenders match?

If so then this makes perfect sence. With Dan out of the picture Nate needs an opponent so the winner of the okami vs. sonnen fight is the next logical step.

Good Job on getting one right UFC.

• Niv says:

edub I completely agree with you. This isn’t a good matchup at all and finally people are starting to pay closer attention now to the many dogs the UFC offers up.

Sonnen isn’t a bad fighter, I actually think he’s quite skilled but he will never be on the same level as Marquardt. This is just another A. Silva vs Griffin or Hendo vs Bisping, it’s a mismatch to say the least.

As for the money issue, when an organization makes it through it’s tough times and starts to thrive, the only thing that will keep it from going the wrong way is its treatment of its employees. If you take too much of the money and leave the scraps for your bread winners you run the risk of losing what you built.

If the UFC wants to stay top dog and show it’s a legitimate sport it has to start acting like one. Better contracts with more profit sharing and a CEO who doesn’t act like a punk trying to impress 15 year old’s with F bombs would be a nice start.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sonnen will never be a champ, but you do have to put him in the argument for a shot with his 15 min spanking of Okami. But to me Nate is the clear cut #1 contender. I was appalled that the UFC 100 match between Hendo and Bisping was supposed to determine the #1 contender. I think the problem is Dana opening his mouth and promising too much. He promised the winner of that fight a shot, then the winner of Marquardt v Maia a shot, now Belfort gets a shot. Make up your mind! The right thing to do is have Hendo fight Marquardt to determine the #1 contender. Since it looks like Hendo might have jumped ship, I guess forget about that. Belfort should fight at least ONCE at 85 and against a top 10 guy and win before he’s in the discussion of a title shot. His victory against Franklin was impressive but it hardly merits a shot since it was a catch weight.
    So, I guess the real question here is…. Does anyone really want to see the possibility of Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen?

• Jak says:

Booo! Maia owns Sonnen, so some how Sonnen gets a shot at the guy who annihilated Maia?

Sonnen was good in his last couple fights, i’ll give him that, but Marquardt should be fighting one of 3 fighters, Silva, Hendo or Belfort and nobody else.

• xtreme_machine says:

people get OVER it

Hendo is not coming back to the UFC

Dana said it in an interview

so relax and look forward to Mousasi vs Henderson

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I agree that this match up is a not that inspiring. I would like to see how Silva would do against Chonnen but Marquadt should win this and if not it will be by grind out.

jgrose enough money is enough to keep them going elsewhere to get more $$$. The UFC has the fighters signed to exclusive contracts, tells them what they can and can’t do to a degree that fighters just wont put up with unless they get compensated adequately, I mean it is the richest MMA org but is losing top fighters like Jolie and Maddonna are adopting kids and then replacing them with TUF fighters and B grade personalities. The UFC must change to suite the new MMA climate. The only question is how much will they change. I personally think they have made some bad decisions recently. 1 of those bad decisions was letting the likes of Arlovski, Sylvia, Hendo and Babalu go and signing guys like Kimbo and Baroni etc. I mean Dana said Kimbo was shit then says he can only get to the UFC via TUF series and then after he loses his first fight in TUF he brings him in anyway???? It seems he didn’t have to win the series or even 1 fight he just had to …have a bad beard and gold teeth. Bad form Dana, you say that “the UFC has the best fighters period” but Baroni and Kimbo are b grade at best. The 2nd f#ck up is not signing Fedor and the 3rd blunder was not securing a network deal. I think the true significance of Strikeforces event on Saturday is not yet known but I think Dana is starting to have a sick feeling deep down in his stomach. I don’t think the horse has bolted but the UFC, like it once did with Pride, has some catching up to do in more than 1 respect.

• dpk says:

The fact is that this is a fight between two top 10 MWs, which is more than you can say for the SF MW title fight that we just saw. In fact the only division that SF has two of the top 10 fighters in the world is HW, just something to think about as you say UFC is going to get over taken. I think Nate will win, but it will be a challenge and it will help keep him sharp for his title shot sometime this summer.

I’m really sick of people telling UFC they don’t pay fighters enough, when they pay the majority of their fighters more than any other organization that stays in business can. Just because some fighters think they are worth more than UFC thinks they are doesn’t make Dana and Lorenzo idiots, that is how they have stayed in business while Bodog, Affliction, Pride, and IFL went away. We have also seen in the last year, the pay scale of UFC rise, and that is a trend that I doubt will stop anytime soon. Guys in their first fight with UFC used to make ($3000/$3000) now the lowest I’ve seen in a while is ($7000/$7000), which is a lot more than guys at that level would make in most other orgs. Oh yeah, and when was the last time UFC cancelled a fight between two healthy, hometown fighters the night of the fight, causing the guys to lose any chance at a win bonus, and all their sponsor ship money? Oh yeah, that was Strikeforce, good way to treat the fighters.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“think about as you say UFC is going to get over taken”

• moosebaby02 says:

just because a old one style of fighting hendo thinks he should make more money than title holders just because he koed Bisping dosent mean he should get it. it also dosent mean that the UFC will go under. Wasnt like the UFC went under when Randy C took a little vaction did it. Also SF will not be able to pay Hendo the kind of money he wants with out taken a hughe hit in the pocket in the long run. Try marketing hendo and expect to pay him $500,000 fight. oh and everyone else on the card as well and your staff, advertiseing and so on and so.

• Dufresne says:

MMA-LOGIC: Misaki, Lawler, Hendo? are top candidates surely. Aoki, Thomson, Diaz, Fedor, Overeem, Mousasi

He didn’t say they didn’t have any top 10 talent, what he said was that they don’t have enough talent in any one weight class. And he’s right.

Heavyweight you have Overeem, Rogers, and Fedor. Although they do have some good talent, the UFC is VERY deep in HW, so I wouldn’t qualify very many of SF’s fighters in the top 10 of that weight class.

LHW you have Mousasi and….? Hendo if he signs, but who else? UFC has Machida, Shogun, Evans, Griffin, etc…

MW has the most depth in my opinion. You have lawler, diaz (well, he spends some of his time here), Lindland and Kung Le. This may be the only weight class that SF has more depth than the UFC right now, but not a one of these could hang with Anderson, and to be honest I don’t see many of them getting past Marquardt or even Maia.

WW You get who? Shields and Diaz maybe, but I wouldn’t put either of them over GSP, Thiago Alves, Anthony Johnson (when he makes weight) or Fitch.

LW has Thompson and Melendez. That’s it. Aoki is signed with Dream, so I’m not considering him. Again the UFC just has too much depth here.

As far as paying fighters more, the UFC doesn’t have near the income of the bigger sports, or even as much income as some of the individual teams. People tend to forget that they were in gigantic amounts of debt until just recently. According to public reports they were still $34 million in the hole in 2004.

• Angry Mike says:

On paper Marquardt should win this, but Sonnen is a savvy, disciplined fighter. He had the right game plan for Okami and executed it to perfection. Marquardt will try to stand and trade, and Sonnen’s wrestling may help him. Sonnen’s biggest weakness is slick bjj. Marquardt has decent submissions, but that seems to be his second choice after his striking. A win by Sonnen wouldn’t be that much of an upset to me.

• edub says:

Ok let me clarify on some of the points i made earlier because I think they are being taken into the wrong way.
    1st. SF is not anywhere near the UFC yet. But they need only offer up one thing to start making up ground on the UFC. Profit sharing. If the fights on CBS start to net big money deals than thats where the future will be. I personally souldnt mind it at all considering it would be free. Although SF would probably move over to ppv eventually.
    2nd. Im not saying the UFC should stop trying to make money for themselves. I would just like to see them pay these guys a higher percentage of profits. Its been said many times before but the UFC’s profit sharing with its atheletes is abissmal compared to the other major sports leagues. If the UFC spent 1 million dollars more per event on its fighters I dont think it would hurt them too much. Although I do not know the ppv averages off the top of my head.
    3rd. If Dan is taking this stand then I applaud him. Im not sure he is right if he is insisting on 500gs per fight, but it should prove a point. Frank Mir was paid 40000 for his fight with Brock. I know he is the one who signed the contract, but to be the main event on supposedly the biggest card in mma histrory 40000 is unacceptable.

• edub says:

4th Also Sonnen is a great fighter but he is in a crap matchup with Nate. Both have stellar wrestling with Sonnen the higher credentials. Nates game is way to diverse for Chael. Both his last opponents were ground centric fighters with Miller having the more diverse game off his back and okami having the better top game. Chaels matchup with Miller was very surprising because he has been prone to the sub. His fight with Okami I dont think was surprising at all considering he has fought at a higher weight class in the past and when Okami cant force his will he doesnt win.

This fight is obviously a higher caliber fight than the sf mw fight, and i hated on the sf matchup when it was announced but shields is no slouch. It should be noted that the last three MWS Shields has beat is Okami, lawler, and Miller. All perenial top ten mws.

• manny says:

Are you serious? This is a 7 sec KO for nate. Boring fight. UFc match makers suk. UFC has a problem w MW class, WW, class and now LW class. No one really deserves a shot at the belt, if they do, they really DON’T have a chance to win. Swick or Hadry will get destroyed by GSP, Silva will best belfort and nate, and after the rematch between shogun, machida will win and whos left at 205? besides rampage? UFC is giving ttile shots to fighters who do not deserve the in the ring for the belt.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think if the ufc wants to put on fights that people want to see and not protect certian fighters they could have made a much better match up, like Marquadt vs Wanderlei and had Akayame take on Sonnen. The ufc really wanted Silva vs Silva and if Wanderlei got past Nate then they can give him a title shot and who would question it. On the other hand if Nate wins the he has proven without a doubt he deserves the next shot.
    Akayame vs Sonnen makes sense as Akayama has only had 1 fight here and the ufc needs to build up his following here a bit more, giving him a solid fighter like Sonnen would help, or if Sonnen were to win then its three in a row, and he now deserves a top 5 opponent.

• HonorableAggression says:

MMA-LOGIC: “think about as you say UFC is going to get over taken”
    I didn’t say that at all I said they will have to change and they have some catching up to do (network deal etc). They are “over taken” in a few aspects and I believe they will have to change to keep up or stay ahead. We will both have to wait and see.“In fact the only division that SF has two of the top 10 fighters in the world is HW,”Misaki, Lawler, Hendo? are top candidates surely. Aoki, Thomson, Diaz, Fedor, Overeem, Mousasi etc and they are signing quickly. This is what I’m saying they are taking off and have a good relationship with Dream and M1 and also look like they are willing to deal with Sengoku. This is all more than what the UFC is doing.

You run around calling people like me ufc-focused because I think they have the best fighters (whatever you think about zuffa, most of the best are in the ufc, sorry), yet I still love watching other orgs and their talent. Its starting to look to me like you’re the one who’s narrow-minded since all you ever say is how the ufc sucks. It’s like the counter-trend to hate ufc and people who like it now, and its just as lame as mindlessly adoring ufc.

As far as the fight, I agree with what a lot of you are saying, Chael is a game opponent but Nate will seriously destroy him, and I honestly hate Nate. They could power the stadium on his sense of self-satisfaction, but what can I say? The guy is a ridiculous opponent.

fanoftna33: The ufc really wanted Silva vs Silva and if Wanderlei got past Nate then they can give him a title shot and who would question it. On the other hand if Nate wins the he has proven without a doubt he deserves the next shot.

I would question it. Wanderlei doesn’t deserve a contender fight at MW yet, I love the guy but look at his recent ufc record, compare it to Nate’s, and tell me how he deserves a shot like Nate does.

• edub says:

To Jgrose23: These are figures from UFC 100;

It has been reported that the buys were from 1 million all the way to 1.5. Now if you multiply that by 49.95(not counting the hd 54.95 purchases) that comes out to 60 million dollars(giver or take obviously. Now give the cable companies the money we’ll say 10 million. Now take away for athletic commisions set up crew an all intangibles, we’ll say 20 million which is probably way too high. Take all that away and you still have 30 million dollars. Now Brocks cut of the ppv we’ll say 2 million just to be overly generous. Now the live gate that was reported on this very site at 5.12 million dollars.
    You have roughly 34 million dollars after paying your star attraction. $2,208,000, including all bonuses was reported to the athletic commision. That is roughly 6 % of the profit of the event going to the fighters. That in my opinion is unacceptable, and needs to be changed.

• HonorableAggression says:

edub: To Jgrose23: These are figures from UFC 100;It has been reported that the buys were from 1 million all the way to 1.5. Now if you multiply that by 49.95(not counting the hd 54.95 purchases) that comes out to 60 million dollars(giver or take obviously. Now give the cable companies the money we’ll say 10 million. Now take away for athletic commisions set up crew an all intangibles, we’ll say 20 million which is probably way too high. Take all that away and you still have 30 million dollars. Now Brocks cut of the ppv we’ll say 2 million just to be overly generous.Now the live gate that was reported on this very site at 5.12 million dollars.

• edub says:

HonorableAggression: You’re not accounting for a great deal of expenses, including the entire ufc staff, the cost of putting on the live event, marketing, promotion, etc.

Thats what the 20 mil was for.

• edub says:

HonorableAggression: Also, people often forget that sponsors pay fighters as much if not more than what the ufc does, its just not open-book like fighter salaries.

Sponsors also pay the UFC now to sponsor fighters.

• nope says:

Does everyone forget that Fighters have to agree to their respective contracts? Sooo….If they sign the papers, they agree that they are worth that amount to fight each fight. If they did not agree that they worth as much or as little as they were offered, they probably wouldn’t sign.

What i’m saying is, they are apparently fine w/ what they are being paid…and so should you.

And if you’re not, you should get the neccesary education and become a manager so you can negotiate better wages for these poor fighters.

• nope says:

i like this fight….I smell upset

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Honor I don’t hate UFC fighters as I have said before the UFC does not cross promote it carries on like a two year old (Dana) and stops fights from happening.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I am ANTI UFC COMPANY PRACTICES. But not anti UFC fighters. I also realize that if Aoki stays out of the UFC he will be able to fight Thomson, Sakurai, Melendez, Alverez even Gomi etc. All of which are excellent fighters. You said ALL the good fighters are in the UFC. Your just naive dude cuz they aren’t. Whats more they (being UFC LWs) have only fought each other and you HAVE NO IDEA HOW they would do against any of the non-UFC fighters. Unless you do know it all, but I doubt your ability to use the force or psychic ability to predict fight outcomes. “Close minded” rubbish I am completely aware of the UFCs talent pool but it seems unlike you I am also aware of the non-UFC talent pool and I know that it is impossible to judge fighters who would win between match ups like Aoki vs Florian or Fedor vs Lesnar etc.
    What I said above is true The UFC will have to change and that Strikeforce has leap-frogged the UFC in more than 1 aspect. If that is anti UFC to you, what is not? saying the UFC is best at everything?. I obviously offended you when I pointed out that saying the UFC has all the best LW talent is wrong. Sorry but the truth hurts. The same kinda pain the UFC would feel if you…hugged their nuts to hard. Know what I mean.