FiveOuncesofPain’s Fifty Most Electrifying Athletes Of Mixed Martial Arts Vol. IV

Jose AldoWho are the absolute most exciting fighters currently competing in the sport of mixed martial arts?

FiveOuncesofPain.com is here to answer that question, as we have pain stakingly reviewed the careers of hundreds upon hundreds of the game’s top athletes in an effort to help establish the most complete inventory of the most electrifying performers in MMA.

Among the most contributing factors in the decision making process involved in compiling this extensively researched list were (in order):

A) Consistency. More than two or three boring fights in a career will make it hard for any fighter to make this list. Loud jeers during previous bouts due to lack of activity are big no-no’s.

B) Recent activity. The last year is the most relevant, with the year prior to that being second, and so on, and so forth. If you had a terrible fight in 2004 but you’ve been bringing it ever since, I’m not going to hold it against you.

C) Finality. Decisions can be exciting for sure, but more often than not there’s nothing more exciting than decisive finality. Taking your fate out of the judges hands consistently is what the fans like to see, and will be rewarded here.

D) Competition. If you’ve been doing nothing but highlight reeling guys all over your hometown in North Dakota somewhere, ant the North Dakota Fighting Alliance shows, there’s a good chance a lot of people haven’t heard of you yet, so you’re not making this list, sorry.

So come along as we count them down from #50 and work our way down the ranks ten fighters at a time, wrapping up with the top ten and complete list that will be published on Friday.

11. Gegard Mousasi: Gegard has left 24 of the 26 men that have come before him wondering if they chose the right profession. The Armenian finishing machine has gone to the judges a mere 3 times in 28 bouts as a professional. Whether he’s shattering eye sockets with strikes or strangling necks with chokeholds, “The Dreamcatcher” gets down for his town every time out of the gate.

12. Marcus Davis: With a pair of fight of the night honors in the UFC, and both a knockout, and submission of the night bonus to his credit, “The Irish Hand Grenade” is well established as one of the most consistently entertaining athletes of the game. Unforgettable battles waged by Davis include bouts with Paul Taylor, Chris Lytle and most recently, Dan Hardy.

13. Jose Aldo: Aldo, aka “Little Ong Bak”, is a living breathing highlight reel. There’s no two ways about it. One of the most breath taking strikers in the business, perhaps the scariest aspect about Jose is the fact that he is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, rumored to be more lethal on the ground than he is standing. Aldo has really come into his own since joining up with the WEC, finishing all five of his last five with the promotion via TKO.

14. Carlos Condit: It’s hard to imagine “The Natural Born Killer” going any other way than hard. Condit comes to fight every single time out, and you’d be hard pressed to find a fight he was involved in that failed to disappoint due to his unwillingness to engage. In twenty four victories, Condit has only been pushed to the judges scorecards once, and that was his most recent come from behind performance over Jake Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night 19. Other wars Carlos has engaged in recently include wild bouts with Hiromitsu Miura and Martin Kampmann.

15. Melvin Manhoef: If you’re a fan of devastating knockouts, you’re a fan of Melvin Manhoef. With 22 knockouts in 23 victories, it’s almost certain that if you lose to Manhoef, you will be in need of a cat scan.At 5’8″ and 205 pounds of explosive KO power, Melvin truly is a “Walking Hand Grenade“. For the closest example of a real life Rocky Balboa fight, see Manhoef’s war waged with Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos.

16. Paul Taylor: Heavy hands, a high kick that would make Cro Cop proud and a seemingly endless gas tank make this fearless Brit one of the most brutal 170 pounders in the sport. How many guys do you know that have earned THREE fight of the night bonuses with the UFC. Taylor has taken the bonus check back to Walsall, England with him in dogfights with Marcus Davis, Paul Kelly and Chris Lytle.

17. Robbie Lawler: While not known for his eye dazzling submission game, the “Ruthless” one has concrete in his fists and a tenacious fighting style that leaves the crowd in a frenzy every time out. Some of Lawler’s trademark fights include electrifying tussles with Scott Smith, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, Frank Trigg, Mayhem Miller, Nick Diaz and Chris Lytle.

18. Aleksander Emelianenko: You show me someone that has the ability to fall asleep during any one of eighteen professional bouts, and I’ll show you a person with a severe case of narcolepsy. Emelianenko knows know other way but to try to decimate his opponent. In eighteen fights for Aleks, only two have made it to the scorecards. Plus, the guy killed a freaking full grown bear with nothing but his bare hands, a knife, and a fork. That’s just flat out gnarly.

19. Thiago Silva: A throwback to the glory days of Chute Boxe, this American Top Team trained fighter is trying to take his opponents head off every time out of the gate. Throwing down like a true samurai in the cage, it’s kill or be killed for Thiago Silva. Some of the victims that have fallen under the feet of Silva include Houston Alexander, Antonio Mendes, and most recently, Keith Jardine.

20. Tim Credeur: If Tim Credeur beats you, he’s kicking your ass bad; that’s something you’re just going to have to deal with. 12 wins and 12 men left with no room to argue the outcome, Credeur knows he’s not getting paid by the hour in the cage. A slick black belt in Brazilian Ji-Jitsu, Tim has no problem twisting limbs or knocking his opponents senseless with sharp kicks and punches. “Crazy” Creduer has only been the distance once in his fifteen fight career, with the sole decision being his fight of the year candidate with Nate Quarry during UFC Fight Night 19.

Make sure to check back early tomorrow as 5 Oz. will break down the top ten most electrifying athletes in the business.

For Volume Three Click Here

For Volume Two Click Here

For Volume One Click Here

• BigDave says:

There isnt anything I can really argue about in here except maybe little emilenko but I haven’t seen alot of his fights so I’ll leave that to your interpritation. So far this whole list has been well done and made me and others I’m guessing look at other aspects of fighters that we may have over looked.

Great Job.

• HonorableAggression says:

It looks good to me, all except for Credeur. What you said about him is true but 10 of his 12 wins are against low tier competition, and while he does bring it whenever he fights he doesnt even come close to being a top 20 exciting fighter in my mind, I can think of plenty of guys who bring it real consistently. Not to beat a dead dog, but silva at 41 and credeur at 20? I realize drawing jeers for recent (in)activity is *part* of the criteria, but it seems to me the level of competition they face should be taken into account, and if it is, credeur shouldnt be on the same list as silva, let alone beating him by 21 spots.

• HonorableAggression says:

Oh and my boy Nick Diaz better be coming in that last installment -.-
    lol

• moosebaby02 says:

I love Tim and he is not a boring fighter. So him beating lower teir guys should have him at 20 HonorableAggression. I see nooo problem with that at all

• xtreme_machine says:

“Jose Aldo: Aldo, aka “Little Ong Bak”

lol

also gegard is not American

• Cory Brady says:

xtreme_machine:

“Jose Aldo: Aldo, aka “Little Ong Bak”

lol

also gegard is not American

It says Armenian Xtreme

• Makington says:

Very glad with this installment, and I am not complaining about even one. I’m stoked you gave Paul Taylor some love, but when did he drop to 155? I thought he was fighting at 170. I know he last fought Peter Sobotta at UFC 99, but I assumed it was at Welterweight.

I also didn’t mind Tim Credeur being 20, since he really does bring some great friggin fights. I couldn’t believe how Nate’s eye was still inside his head after their fight, it was nasty.

• Niv says:

Sorry extreme machine but i laughed my ass off on “Moussasi isn’t American”. Oops, I guess that can happen to anyone.

I love little (age only) Emelianenko’s selection, I keep hearing the story about killing the bear, does anyone know the circumstances?

I mean everywhere else in the world hunters go out with big guns, I guess Aleks didn’t think he needed more than a knife and fork.

• redwire says:

Niv – the bear kill is some sort of Russian ‘extreme sport’. You get a bear to attack you, when it rears up, you stick this tall fork under it’s chin in order to limit it’s mobility, and then you stab it to death.

When I first heard about Aleks doing this, they also mentioned how a star wrestler died doing the same thing. Even when the bear has the fork under it’s chin, it can still keep the knockout punches coming. Only those punches have claws.

It’s not a politically correct way of putting meat on the table.

• Niv says:

redwire are you serious, that’s completely insane! How does that guy get anyone willing to step into the ring with him after knowing that?

• edub says:

Manhoef wouldve been in my own personal top 5. Pretty decent list. Marcus Davis’s fights against Chris Lytle and Mike Swick I thought would drop him a little bit but to each his own.

I wonder if there is a video anywhere of Aleks killing the bear. What Redwire described is probably the manliest thing you can do period. I m gonna go pick a fight with a squirrel in Aleks honor.

• Cory Brady says:

I recently had the chance to ask Fedor if he had killed a bear during the same Russian ritual that his brother described during the Fedor vs. Rogers media call. The translator had to laugh, but at that point the call had gone so far south it was time for the bear question quite honestly. Some kid had just gotten on the line and asked Brett any advice he would have for him in traning UFC. It was bad.

But Fedor basically tucked and said the only time he had seen a bear was at the zoo, and that he didn’t think killing a bear with such methods would be possible. I think he’s hiding something, lol.

“On whether people really hunt bears with knives:

Emelianenko: Yes, they do. A few years ago there was an unfortunate incident. One sportsman, a world champion in wrestling … what was he doing? Yes, he was putting a fork under the bear’s neck. [The practice of hunting bears with a knife involves, once the bear is in front of you, placing a long stick with a letter U-shaped end under the bear’s muzzle as it rears up to fight. Once the stick is in place, the bear isn’t able to bring its body down and the hunter stabs it a number of times, ideally killing it instantly.]

And then the bear couldn’t attack him, and he was stabbing it under the ribs in the heart. And as he was stabbing it, that bear swung with its paw. It was dead already — the paw was its last gasp with all its strength and basically took half of the wrestler’s head off. And of course the other hunters opened fire on the bear, but it was too late. He went to try his luck with a bear, and it didn’t come off.

I want to go hunting in Africa now, with friends. I’ve been invited.”

• edub says:

Cory Brady: For me everything is still fine. I’m OK. I’ve done it and it was OK. About half a year ago, it was in Russia, in Siberia. Everything was fine. I put the fork underneath him and stabbed him in the heart. And that was it. The other hunters dismembered, prepared the bear.

Goddamn. He sounds so cold like it didnt even faze him. Now thats a guy u wanna raid a house with.

• Rich S. says:

Great placement of Lawler..

His brawl with Lytle back in the day is still on of the best fights I’ve ever seen.. And even in losing Lytle became one of my favorite fighters because of that fight..

Only one that’s fishy here is Creduer..
    I think his fights are exciting, but I just have a hard time seeing some of the other guys on the list being lower than him..

• hindsightufuk says:

Rich S.: Great placement of Lawler..His brawl with Lytle back in the day is still on of the best fightsI’ve ever seen.. And even in losing Lytle became one of my favorite fighters because of that fight..

great call on that fight, lyttle/lawler is one of my all time favourite fights

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO Aleks is a fucking liar.