Shane Carwin: ‘Brock has Mono’, ‘UFC 108 is not happening’

brock_lesnar_wins_ufc_titleAlthough recent reports had the heavyweight championship clash between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin being shifted from UFC 106 to UFC 108, it now looks like that’s not going to happen either.

The reason according to Carwin on his official website: Mono, and supposedly Brock has a bad case of it.

Guys my manager Jason Genet just told me that UFC 108 is not happening. Brock has Mono and what the UFC has told me is that I have earned the title shoot but I have to wait for the title holder.

According to Google Health:

Mononucleosis, or mono, is often spread by saliva and close contact. It is known as “the kissing disease,” and occurs most often in those age 15 to 17. However, the infection may develop at any age.

The fever usually drops in 10 days, and swollen lymph glands and spleen heal in 4 weeks. Fatigue usually goes away within a few weeks, but may linger for 2 to 3 months.

No official word is currently available as to the status of the UFC’s heavyweight championship or Lesnar’s current condition.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date on this anticipated heavyweight showdown.

• Niv says:

I guess he did get on top of his wife after UFC 100.

In all seriousness mono is no joke, I had it once and I was fatigued for months.

Too bad for Brock, I guess it goes to show that no matter the organization defending belts may be a problem for a while now, if I’m right BJ Penn is the only healthy UFC champion today.

• xtreme_machine says:

lest just hope he can come back the way he was 285-90 lbs

or maybe even better

Big Nog vs Cain (Interim Title)

• Makington says:

I had a small blood disease that had the exact symptoms of mono when I broke my ribs a few years back, and it certainly did suck. I forget what I had was called, very scientific, but basically it was mono that couldn’t be passed on. I would spend literally just an hour or so awake a day, go to the washroom and eat like half a sandwich and go back to sleep.

This could potentially be a serious delay if he got it bad. However, I will hold off some of my more extreme speculations until we find out how sick he exactly is.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He shouldn’t of had that Bud Lite.

• submit662266 says:

What did he say he did with that horseshoe?

• slammy862 says:

Mir better get himselfed checked out. He probably ingested about a litre of Brock’s sweat and drool.

• bigbadjohn says:

This guy is living his dream. like him or not, would you expect someone to take a chance on their dream? Brock has bounced professions as well documented, now that he has found a sport which works for him so don’t expect him to want to lay that belt down when he’s not at his 100% . And xtreme_machine that interim belt comment is uncalled for. ridiculous.

• dpk says:

If Brock has been sick for a month already as they are reporting, then hopefully he can start serious training around the beginning of Dec again, which would put him in line for the Super Bowl show on 6 Feb. That way, the title could still be defended 3 times next year.

• HonorableAggression says:

xtreme_machine: lest just hope he can come back the way he was 285-90 lbsor maybe even better
    Big Nog vs Cain (Interim Title)

I hate the entire idea of interim titles, and wish they would just stop happening.

• HonorableAggression says:

Carwin must be pissed, man. FInally a title shot and it gets delayed twice. I know it’s not Brock’s fault all the same, hope he gets better ASAP!

• bertzz says:

sounds more like he couldn’t pass a urine test to me. he should be tested now the fans need to know! brock has stated he has never failed a test, that’s not saying he hasn’t used

• moosebaby02 says:

good luck Brock. Get better so i can watch Carwin punch you in the face

and as stupid as the interm belt commet was xtreme_machine why would cain and nog go at it when Carwin is the number 1 contender??? no what dont worry about answearing that. afriad what you will say will waste the 5 min of my time me reading it

• David Andrest says:

Big Nog vs Cain (Interim Title)

So I get up this morning, ready this comment and can’t quite figure out why most people took a big dump on it.

Then I kept reading . Interim title…………….UGH sorry XM

• GassedOut says:

Yeah. Mono is no joke. I had it in university. I would get up at the crack of noon, stagger 10 feet to the top of the stairs, and have to sit down for 20 minutes so I could go down the stairs. Then sit again at the bottom of the stairs so I could make it 25 feet to the kitchen for a bowl of cereal or something. I once fell assleep in a plate of food for real.

If that’s what Brock’s got, get well soon, buddy. Mono sucks.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Good luck Brock, that way I can watch you punch CARWIN in the face

I personally cannot see Carwin winning this fight. Gonzaga completely rocked him, and I’m willing to bet Lesnar punches much harder, let alone his speed and superior wrestling.

I’m very interested to see how the Cain / Nog fight pans out. HW division is starting to get interesting.

• spotMMAwarrior25 says:

“I once thought I had Mono for an entire year…turns out I was just really bored.”- Wayne (Waynes World)…Maybe its the same situation for Brock.

• BigDave says:

MONO SUX MONKEY TESTICALS!

So we got to wait a bit to see Carwin get destroyed. He should count his lucky stars that he gets to keep his unblemished record a bit longer. Whoever it was that said an interm title fight between nog and Cain can stop posting right now because for one interm titles are a joke and for another you cant make a interm title fight without having the guy who is the #1 contender in it.

Besides Cain vs. Nog is a great matchup and the one im looking forward to this one bigtime.

Cain Velasquez Soon to be the undisputed champion of the ufc HW division.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Cain Velasquez, the Div II college wrestling champ?

ROTFFLMFAO ! ! !

How is going to beat Nog?

Knock him out? NO
    Submit him? NO again
    Outpoint? HIGHLY doubtful

• jlgriffey says:

For a man of Brock’s size to do anything while battling Mono would be a monumental task. Even more daunting would be facing down another giant (Carwin) while still dealing with fatigue and a sub-par camp. This sucks for all of us fans who really want to see this fight, and maybe Carwin as well. However, Carwin must be patient. He is getting his shot, and I’m sure he doesn’t want any excuses or question marks over shadowing his possible victory. I think with these two healthy, this will be well worth the wait.

• moosebaby02 says:

Dave just give up on his dream like i wont on NATE THE GREAT
    ozz Carwin is going put his fist right through brocks face just you wait and see my friend

speaking of brock maybe he caught mono at the ravens vs vikings game on the 18th last month where he looked fine to me screaming and blowing into one of those big horns they have there with his family

• moosebaby02 says:

sorry Dave just wont give up on his dream

• bertzz says:

he didn’t look to sick at the vikings football game a couple of weeks ago. running around blowing the monster horn & never said he was sick when interviewed?

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

All this for a fight that probably won’t make it past round one. It’s either going to end with a KO by Carrwin or a TKO on the ground by Lesnar. I bet the latter’s going to happen, but Carwin can get a lucky shot in before Brock get’s him to the ground.

• king mah mah says:

If Sable is as classy as Brock then maybe she gave him HIV! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

• king mah mah says:

Seriously though, Mono is not the deathly illness some of you made it out to be. I understand he can’t train and all that. But the way a couple of you carried on about your own mono experience, I’m shocked you’re still alive! Quit being dramatic!

• Makington says:

No one said it was deadly. Just makes you tired as hell.

You definitely can’t fight, let alone train, with a case of mono. Also there are the obvious health issues with it. Anyone you grappled with would likely get it too.

• king mah mah says:

Come on give me a thumbs up! You know Sable is a seasoned vet! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

• king mah mah says:

“Anyone you grappled with would likely get it too.”

Ok, well then expect a bunch of people from Brock’s camp to get mono then.

• bigbadjohn says:

pretty funny stuff there mah mah………..
    tell ya this much, I wouldn’t put my beloved belt on the line without a full camp because some jackasses on the web want me to

• king mah mah says:

Never said he should put his belt on the line when he was sick. Wouldn’t want him to. What the hell are you talking about?

• Pajamashark says:

Mono isn’t deadly, but it’s also not one of those things where you can clear it up with antibiotics in a snap. You just have to let it run its course and symptoms can really linger.

I had it in college too, and it took me almost a year to fully recover. My wisdom teeth were infected- they got so bad my jaw eventually swelled so much I couldn’t open my mouth more then a couple centimeters. The mono was reinfecting me since my immune system sucked from my underlying jaw infection. Once I got those suckers out, I recovered in less then a month.

But before that I would get exhausted just making one meal a day, spike fevers, and was only awake five hours out of twenty four. I had to take a medical leave from school. Man, if you’ve never had it you are lucky, but it’s also hard to imagine how useless and fatigued you become if you haven’t experienced it first hand.