Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez set for UFC 108

Antonio Rodrigo NogueiraA heavyweight showdown between fellow title contenders, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez, appears to be all set for UFC 108.

According to Tatame.com, Nogueira’s manager recently confirmed the bout to Sensei Sportv’s blog.

UFC 108 is expected to take place on January 2 from Las Vegas, Nevada, with a possible heavyweight championship bout between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin acting as the headliner.

The winner of the bout between Nogueira and Velasquez will likely be next in line for a crack at the UFC heavyweight championship.

Nogueira is fresh off of his fight of the night victory over Randy Couture at UFC 102 following a TKO defeat at the hands of Frank Mir during UFC 92, while Velasquez has yet to taste defeat in his professional career, most recently racking up back to back victories over the likes of Cheick Kongo and Ben Rothwell.

• Huuuuuuuge step up in competition for Cain!

Hmmm… I see Big Nog somehow pulling out a sub in R3.

• MMApride19 says:

Wow, yeh too right, a HUGE step up for Cain. Now… this is Valesquez’s TRUE test. If he beats Nog… then there will be no doubt he is legit. Even though i firmly believe he is anyway. But, a win over Nog will be massive for him. However, all that said, i dont think he will beat Nog lol. I think he will take Nog down, but that will be what Nog would probebly expect, and what Nog would want. A grappling battle with Nog may prove very difficult for Cain. We have seen him control guys on the floor… but no one as of yet that is anywhere near the grappling level of Nog. So we will see how he handles him.

But, ill say it again.. WOW. Lol, im very excited that this fight is going to happen. Its going to be a war. Cant wait.

• Xspur says:

Nog, 1st or 2nd round TKO via early Mazzagatti stoppage.

• moosebaby02 says:

Come on Dave this time i will throw some $$$ down on Nog……..well maybe not since Cain looked good aginst Ben….wait a sec this Nog were talking about.
    Nog in the 2nd

What great match

• matt says:

• Bullylover says:

velasquez via ud. Noguera is a legend and one of the best heavy weights of all time but his time at the top is up and it’s cain’s time to shine.I’m very confident in cains abilities.

• HonorableAggression says:

Woohoo, night of the heavyweights!
    I know I’m gonna get some hate for this but Cain relies on his ground game and Big Nog is a beast off his back compared to anyone Cain’s fought yet, hell, compared to anyone, I see Nog subbing Cain in the 2nd.
    If it goes to decision, however, it’s Cain’s fight.
    Either way, can’t wait!

• MMApride19 says:

matt: I thought Big Nog was going to fight Gonzaga next, but I like this matchup better. We know cain has the wrestling advantage and Nog has the bjj advantage, but who has the better stand up, Cain has been able to win the stand up exchanges with all of his oppenents except Kongo who in my opinion is the best striker in the heavyweight division. Nog also has solid boxing, but i dont think either has ko power. I see Cain winning a decision here using his solid boxing for most of the round then stealing the round at the end with a dominate takedown, but not leaving enough time for nog to pull of a submission.

Interesting, i honestly think Nog has better stand up than Valesquez, but then again i have seen alot more of Nogs stand up than Cains. But we will find out for sure in January haha. Because im sure Valesquez wont be so quick to take Nog down, like he was Rothwell and Kongo. I think he is going to try and wear him down abit first before trying to dominate him with GnP on the ground, because even a worn down Nog is dangerous on his back… a fresh one.. even more so. But as of yet, the only guy iv seen dominate Nog on the ground, is Fedor…. So… i am extremely excited for this. Because not only do i really like both fighters, Valesquez and Nog. But we get to see how good Valesquez really is, Nog is a big step up from Kongo and Rothwell IMO, alot tougher than both guys, he is far more well rounded. I believe Valesquez he does have the ability to beat Nog. However, i see Nog winning. I wont be surprised if Valesquez wins though, i do rate him highly.

• BigDave says:

Here it is everyone out there. Anyone that doubts me about Cain is going to see what this dude is really all about. He is Bigger, Stronger and faster then Nog who I have a ton of respect for and is a true legend. Cain is just going to be far to much for him to handle. Cain will KO nog 1st round. then he will destroy lesnar for the belt after lesnar rolls over carwin.

• BigDave says:

moosebaby02: where is BigDave. I called for this one to happend to test how legit his Golden Boy is.
    Nog in the 2ndWhat great match

Moosebaby I don’t want to take your money I’ll be happy with bragging rights for the second time bro. lmao

Nog is a true test for my boy but this is a test he will ace.

• edub says:

Oh man what a fight. Big Dave you havent been the only one sounding the horn for Cain considering ive been nuthugging this dude since his beatdown of jake o’brian. Of course not with your certain pizazz. I called him smashing Rothwell, but Nog is a whole different animal. Minotauro has made a career of tapping wrestlers. Coleman to Herring to Hendo; while saying that I think Cain has the potential to be far better than all those fighters. Nog is a legend and he will always have a place in mma history, but I just see Cain being too much for him here. I dont think it should be looked down on that without any jiujitsu experience he fared quite well in his first big US gi grappling tournament. I think Nog is just not gonna have enough cardio to keep up with Cain. Cain by late tko stoppage.

• Niv says:

I agree that this is going to be a huge test for Cain.

I’ve been on record several times saying Big Nog is the best HW in the UFC and I stand by that.

A loss for Cain doesn’t set him back very much, a win propels him in my opinion to the top of the UFC HW heap.

It should be a very entertaining fight to say the least.

• xtreme_machine says:

I do not see Nog losing this one.

Cain is going to the get out classed.

And that would stop some of you velasquez nut huggers.

• Rich S. says:

Great fight here..

I’m rooting for Nog, but it won’t be easy..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Cain is in for 1 hell of a challenge here. For me, Nog is better on his feet than Cain and where Minatauro really wants to end up is on the ground. Cain is in deep water here, this is the ultimate test for him, even harder than facing Lesnar in my mind because I see Nog’s skill set being the a perfect skill set to put up against a guy like Valasquez.

• bigbadjohn says:

with the exception of last fight, Cain hasn’t been able to finish fights. He is heavy handed but if he couldn’t stop any of his opponents cold to date. I don’t see him knocking Nog right out, but I do see Cain being on top for most the fight, winning rounds. Screw it, I’m not gonna bet against Cain’s persistent GnP but how can I bet against Nog’s sub skills on his back and his amazing ability to take a beating. A wash for me.

• bigbadjohn says:

oh BigDave, I’m still waiting on that explanation of how Cain matches up and wins against Brock. Maybe when Cain puts on 40 lbs. And Mir too with 40 lbs. and Randy and Herring maybe.. Basically I understand the argument for a super-heavy division

• dpk says:

I love this fight, and the timeline makes perfect sense for the winner to get a title shot. This is a big step up for Cain, but it is the right step at this point. Even if he loses, then he is still a 26 y/o stud with a great future, if he wins then he has the scalp of a legend on his mantel as he heads into a title shot this summer.

• MMApride19 says:

bigbadjohn: oh BigDave, I’m still waiting on that explanation of how Cain matches up and wins against Brock. Maybe when Cain puts on 40 lbs.And Mir too with 40 lbs. and Randy and Herring maybe..Basically I understand the argument for a super-heavy division

I disagree with the superheavy division, there just simply wouldnt be enough world class fighters to fill a HW division AND a superheavyweight division. IMO, if a fighter is 230 – 240lbs they CAN cut to 205lbs to make weight. It can be done. So.. if they could do it, and they choose to fight at HW, then its there choice man. They are not restricted. If they want to fight at HW, they need to expect to fight the bigger guys, and its why alot of fighters that probebly could make LHW (Vera for eg when he was HW) choose to fight at HW, because they have alot more ‘give’ in the weigh ins. They do not have a strict weight to meet. So weight cutting is not always an issue. Also, because of ego. Fighters sometimes want to prove themselves against the bigger guys. There are loads of fighters that are and have been successful against really big and strong guys. Take Fedor and Big Nog for example. They are not big HW, but they have made careers from beating these far bigger guys. Also, comparable size differences are noticeable in other weight classes. Take Rumble Johnson for eg. he is HUGE compared to anyone else in that division, other than maybe fighters like Alves. But compared to most, he is massive. So its the same in all weight divisions. Fighters are always going to have to fight bigger guys. Its the sport isnt it. The fighters is meant to be trying to prove that they are the better fighter. Not the bigger and stronger and scarier opponent. But the ‘better’, more skilled, more talented, and more desired fighter, who has the will, and the heart to overcome any odds put in front of him. Thats what makes MMA so exciting.

I hate the idea of a super heavyweight division, it would be more of a joke division. It would consist of about 5 or 6 fighters good fighters, thats it lol. (Btw im going on a Super heavy weight division being 265lbs +, just wouldnt work!!!)

• moosebaby02 says:

man we should start a point system or something Dave cause im taking this one
    you to dub.
    Go Nog Go.
    This is going to be a great fight.

• Dachman says:

Nog is an absolute warrior and has been through many huge battles. It has been proven that he can take damage like no other. In the Kongo fight Cain was rocked a couple of times but was able to shoot and GNP. This is where Cain is going to be in trouble because Nob has the ability possibly keep the fight standing, but if it goes to the ground Cain is going to have a hard time hurting him or holding him down.
    With all that said we havnt seen Cain in this sort of a match up so we may find out that he is the next superstar or the next superstar that needs a little more time. Either way it is clear that Cain has huge upside either way and it wont be easy for either. But I think this is going to be a whole new level for Cain the likes of which he may not see again, because of Nog’s size, ability to take damage and submission skills.
    Nog decision

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Moose, I agree with you.
    Nog wins this decisively.

• moosebaby02 says:

like i said I cant wait to see this fight. Cain is starting grow on me. I would love to say he has this one and might very well have but like i said this is NOG were talking about.
    It sucks that one of them has to lose

• moosebaby02 says:

just read some where Bob Cook, Cains manager said that they have not agreed to this fight yet and did not anticipate making a decision until at least next week.

Why the hell not????

• Makington says:

This fight has immediately blipped to my most anticipated fight. I think Cain has the speed to tag Nog all night long, but I don’t think he has nearly the power to KO Nog. I actually think this time Cain won’t be so hasty for the ground out of respect to Nog. I think he will try to take it to him on the feet. Whether that will work out for him, I don’t know. Nog is probably my all time favourite HW along with Fedor, but Cain has the skill and stamina to wear anyone down to nothing.

I’m not even going to pick a fighter to win this, I have absolutely no idea.

• edub says:

moosebaby02: Why the hell not????

Probably because he just fought and Nog is arguably the second best hw in mma history? Not a decision you wanna make hastily you know what im saying moose.

Oh and we definately need to set up some type of point system for picking fights because I WILL STOMP ALL OF YOUUU!!! :)

• Gurthee says:

Nog by sub after Cain gets frustrated in the stand up game and foolishly takes Nog down. Cain is a great wrestler, but he hasn’t faced anyone with near the ground skills of Nog and I think Nog has the superior striking as well. Great fight.