Photo Gallery: Fedor Emelianenko trains for Brett Rogers

In one of the most highly anticipated heavyweight battles in the history of the sport, “The Last Emperor” Fedor Emelianenko is all set to face off with perhaps the scariest opponent he has met to date, the 6’5″, 265 pound Brett “Grim” Rogers.

The two are set to clash this Saturday evening from the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, in a Strikeforce headlining bout to be aired live on CBS .

Below is a series of photographs of Fedor training for this highly anticipated match-up courtesy of M-1 Global.com:

Fedor coffee

Fedeor

Fedor swim toy training

Fedor keylock

Fedor shadowboxing

Fedor jumping rope

fedor

Fedor getting it in

To view a wide assortment of other Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi training photos, make sure to check out M-1 Global.com.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“In one of the most highly anticipated heavyweight battles in the history of the sport, “The Last Emperor” Fedor Emelianenko is all set to face off with perhaps the scariest opponent he has met to date, the 6?5?, 265 pound Brett “Grim” Rogers.”

Surely you jest. He is a sloppy heavy handed striker that only has a punchers chance and that chance is a lot lower than the chances the likes of Sylvia, Arlovski, Schilt, Hunt, Crocop, and Hong Man Choi had. If he had a rematch with Arlovski and didn’t clip him with the very first punch and still won I might let this one slide but personally ,on paper even Lindland, Babalu, Kohsaka, Fugita, Coleman, Randleman and Herring were bigger threats. Having said that there is always a possibility Rogers may get lucky, I mean he did against Arlovski.

• edub says:

Goddamn Logic. That just sounded mean. I kid i kid.

I agree though. Nothing more than a punchers chance and the hope that age caught up with Fedor earlier than it should.

• I feel about this fight just like I did with Penn/Florian.

Some some reason, leading up to the fight, I thought Florian had a real chance at beating Penn and then, about a week beforehand, something clicked inside me and I thought, “Penn is going to destroy him, no doubt about it.”

Fedor’s victory clicked with me a couple of days ago.

• HonorableAggression says:

MMA-LOGIC: Having said that there is always a possibility Rogers may get lucky, I mean he did against Arlovski.

So did Fedor. VERY lucky actually, he wasnt even looking where he threw the knockout punch.

• nate says:

i cant see fedor losing at all. time and time again some new giant dude emerges and gets bent up or ko’d. there is one constant with that man. no matter the opponent fedors arm will be raised at the end. he isnt losing to brett rogers or his mohawk.. the grim better hope to knock him out with his first flurry..

• Makington says:

HonorableAggression:

Oh yes he did. I’ve seen the replay many, many times, and although it doesn’t seem like he was aiming, he certainly was. You could see Arlovski kind of dip his body while moving backwards into the ropes. That could only mean he is coming up with some sort of flying knee, or high kick. You can see Fedor pivot his entire body to anticipate Andrei’s move in a split second. He knew Arlovski had to square up his body so he pivoted and threw his fist into where his head should be going. Clean connection, lights out Arlovski.

You say luck, I say one hell of a great punch.

He did look like he was having quite a bit of trouble from Arlovski before that punch, however. He was getting surprisingly and soundly beat for the beginning of the fight.

Looking past Brett would be a terrible idea, one I know Fedor won’t make, but I just can’t see Fedor losing this fight.

• BillyWarhol says:

Ferget CRO-COP! we got CRO-MAGNON MAN!!!

• HonorableAggression says:

Makington:

Fair enough, I didn’t see it that way, but you’re entitled to your opinion. Either way, it was lucky that arlovski forgot his gameplan because his boxing was really dominating fedor until that happened, then he threw it out the window with a flying knee.

• mu_shin says:

I always try to stay open minded and appreciate varying opinions, and appreciate the opportunity to share said opinions with a knowedgeable fan base such as the gentlemen who post here at 5 Ozs.

Have to say however that its always been difficult to imagine how so many MMA viewers can view identical events with such subjective perceptions, and arrive at observations so at odds with what I perceived from the same events. I saw Arlovski pepper Fedor with some quick shots, jabs and a few combinations, but I never saw him snap Fedor’s head back, never saw Fedor register even mild signs of effective impact, and certainly would never have described the first two minutes of any fight that did not end in a decisive conclusion as being “dominated” by either combatant .

Describing anything that happens in the ring as “lucky” is a pet peeve for me. Consider the odds of Fedor landing the absolute perfect devastating knockout shot that he hit Arlovski with if he threw it blind. Inconceivable. His sensory perceptions in the ring are broken down into milliseconds of stimulus and response, and whether or not his eyes were on the target at impact, any rational appraisal of those events will tell you he was able to use all of his neurological data to interpret Arlovski’s intent as well as his physical potential in time and space. This conclusion is only further confirmed by the outcome, which was Arlovski totally unconscious, victim of a brutal concussion, that was anything but lucky…

To say that an athlete trains for years for a certain outcome, but when he achieves that stated outcome he was “lucky”, seems counterintuitive to me. Rogers did not get “lucky” against Arlovski, and I severely doubt he will against Fedor. If Rogers wins, it will be because in that particular moment, he brought the myriad elements necessary to overcome great odds into alignment, and he’ll do it because he worked at it for years. My opinion is that Fedor’s skills are more highly developed, much more well rounded between striking and grappling disciplines, and that he has an experiential edge that Rogers will be extremely unlikely to overcome, but in a million to one scenario, there’s always the one…

• MMApride19 says:

HonorableAggression:

Too most people, Fedor is not known for his counters. He is more well known for his sambo and GnP power.

However, watch all of his fights carefully…. his counter punches are amongst the best in the world. He is always looking to counter, and does so with extreme efficiency and power an accuracy. Do you think that Arlovski rarely throws those flying knees? Well you would be mistaken in thinking that. He attempts them alot. I guarentee Fedor and is team watched plenty of Arlovski’s fights, and analysed what he likes to do. So… when Arlovski throws, there is a counter strike waiting for him. It just so happens that, the counter that Fedor caught him with was PERFECT. Note how he doesnt panic (as he never does), watches Arlovski come in, and then throws a HUGE overhand right directly on his jaw. If he wasnt looking, he wouldnt have been aiming so high with that strike would he? However, it seemed to me like he telegraphed the knee, perceived exactly where Arlovski was, and threw a perfect counter. It was not luck.

• HonorableAggression says:

MMApride19:
    Do you think that Arlovski rarely throws those flying knees?

I think it was absolutely not part of his gameplan for that fight, it made no sense to throw it then, and everyone knew (I thought) it was a very foolish overaggressive mistake since he was doing great keeping fedor at a distance. For this fight, the plan was not to throw anything like that if you believe him or his camp, which I do since like I said it looked like a foolish mistake. Kind of like my foolish mistake thinking I could post anything about fedor as an opinion and people wouldnt lose their minds and write essays on why I’m completely wrong, neither of which convinced me. In fact, I tend not to pay attention once I realize people are completely close-minded about something, I guess I just hoped people here could handle a comment that didn’t declare fedor god. A couple essays later, I know better. I won’t waste my breath in the future, but to those people I just have to say grow up and learn to take an opinion without deriding it or being condescending.

• Makington says:

I wasn’t trying to crap all over your opinion, but I really do believe Fedor meant to do exactly what happened, as evidenced by how quickly he pivoted his body before the punch. I do agree however that it was a terrible, terrible idea for Arlovski to do. I was rooting for Fedor, but when he threw such a reckless move, I was like, “Come on now Andrei, why would you even try such a dumb move like that?” It was like how Bisping circled to his left the entire fight against Henderson, you just don’t want to do something like that against that type of fighter. I was actually very surprised how well Arlovski was doing before he got caught, but I personally give Fedor more credit for skill than luck.

And I believe there is luck in MMA. Tom Lawlor was lucky that CB Dolloway was dumb enough to shoot for a takedown at UFC 100 when he was close to KOing him on the feet. That was the only reason Tom was able to win. He was lucky that CB did that, imo.

These boards are much better than the Sherdog forums, where everyone hates each other, and the forums where there are so much people that you can’t have an actual discussion, so I say stick around. This is my favourite MMA site, but I don’t want it to get any more popular lol, to the point where there is like 600 comments per article.

• manny says:

Fedor all the way!

Here’s a thought., Why lesnar pulled out of 106:
    He’s really not sick, its all the UFC marketing stategy. UFC 106 is set up to go against the cotto vs pac man fight ( which I will buy and see pac man win by ko) on ppv. Seeing how mayweather fight destroyed the ufc 103 frankling fight, (sure it had no big names) the ufc didn;t want to risk their best ppv seller get destroyed by boxing (once again) so all of a sudden lesnar is out sick. No one really cares but that’s my assumption and sticking to it b/c ince the fighjt is -rescheduled, DW can have more $ by haviing more ppv buys. How moving 1 fight can make you even more millions. : )

• HonorableAggression says:

Makington: You aren’t wasting your breath Honorbable, just your fingers, lol. But seriously, I love hearing other people’s opinions, especially about MMA. I’ve never found another human so far in my area (Oshawa, Ontario) that likes MMA enough to talk at an extremely sophisticated level, so these boards are my only outlet.I wasn’t trying to crap all over your opinion, but I really do believe Fedor meant to do exactly what happened, as evidenced by how quickly he pivoted his body before the punch.

Thank you Mak for a respectful reply, and I never meant you but I should have made that more clear. I completely respect your opinion, I just was a little taken aback by the amount of time people were putting in to tell me how wrong I was after I wrote two sentences lol, but I did overreact and I know these boards are full of intelligent and cool people, so I apologize for making blanket statements about 5 oz. readers. (I’m one after all, lol)

• redwire says:

I know he’s wearing a shirt, but Fedor looks like he’s lost a lot of his baby fat. Are we going to see a ‘ripped’ Fedor this weekend?

Mak – we’ll go for a beer if you’re ever in Mississauga.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Describing anything that happens in the ring as “lucky” is a pet peeve for me”

Luck, coincidence, fortune or whatever you want to call it is a huge factor in every day life and the ring is no different.

• redwire says:

“So if I was to go into the ring against Fedor and just wing a punch wildly in his general direction and just happen to KO him, would that be lucky?”

I know what you’re saying, but the difference here is that I’m assuming you would be getting off of a bar stool and stepping into the ring (my apologies to Tank Abbott), rather than training for the last 8-12 weeks for your shot at Fedor. So, yes, if *you* happened to knock Fedor out, it would be luck, or a big mistake on Fedor’s part. It’s tough to assign luck to someone who has worked for a big part of their life to get that exact outcome. In addition, calling it luck is somewhat insulting to the ‘knockee’, and lets the ‘knocked’ off the hook.

The real answer is probably somewhere between. There can be a fraction of difference between a knockout, and a ‘hard punch’. Knowing how and when to throw the punch is not luck, however.

• mu_shin says:

Tried hard to qualify my remarks, never intend to be intentionally derisive or condescending of anyone’s opinions. If I find someone’s opinions absurd, it’s not worth comment. It’s debate and exchange of ideas I’m after, and I try to express myself in a clear, rational, even logical, objective manner. By responding to someone’s ideas, in my mind, it’s a compliment, even if I see events in a different light, or hold antithetical opinions.

I’ve been attacked and ridiculed on many MMA sites as overly verbose, guilty, but all I hope is that there will always be a place for discourse that goes beyond blind fighter loyalty or antipathy. I’m not into any particular fighter, I’m into MMA.