Someone Had To Say It: Cecil Peoples

cecil-peoples-figureI have come to the conclusion that Cecil Peoples has absolutely no business playing any part in the outcome of a professional fight.

Not solely based on his long history of handing down incredibly ridiculous rulings on bouts, but more for his recent comments to MMAWeekly.com when discussing his feelings of some of the criticism he has fallen under because of his latest blatant blunder.

“My thing is, Rua did hit him more,” explained Cecil. “But Machida hit him harder, especially in the early rounds.”

So according to Mr. Peoples, the man admits that Shogun landed the bulk of the strikes, but Machida “apparently” landing the harder shots canceled out Mauricio’s strikes because they were somehow perceived as softer.

What sense does this make?

With this logic, the gameplan for all fighters in the UFC going forward should be to absorb as much punishment as humanly possible while landing an occasional haymaker. Are you kidding me?

And since when did Peoples become an on-site human measuring stick for the velocity and impact of strikes. Being convinced that Machida’s blows were somehow more devastating reeks of favoritism.

“I’m really perplexed about how you give (Rua) this round, because Shogun was kicking (Machida) a lot in the legs, but every time he kicked him in the legs, he got hit in the face ” continued the repeatedly controversial judge. “Shogun would put his hand up, and Machida would go right through, sweat’s flying off (Rua’s) face. Shogun kicked (Machida) in the belly – that’s how he got the red mark.”

Perplexed as to how anyone could give Rua a round where he clearly landed more strikes?

I think the world of mixed martial arts is a lot more perplexed as to how one of its most frequent outcome deciders could so easily toss out all of the powerful kicks landed by Rua just because he didn’t knuckle Machida up to his liking.

I could understand giving a few shots to the face more leverage than a few dozen hard kicks back during UFC 1-10, but the year is 2009 and this was UFC 104. If the fossils in place to rule on MMA bouts currently are frozen in time, its time for them to be replaced. Simple as that.

“But you gotta remember, Machida is stepping back, so when he gets kicked, he’s getting brushed,” said Peoples. “But he counters Shogun with a hard kick to the belly. Which one counts more for the exchange? I give it to the (second one), because it was harder. It wasn’t brushed.”

So the same hard kick to the “belly” of Machida that caused the red mark that Cecil so easily explained away as meaningless is no longer meaningless when Lyoto lands it?

Again, somehow Machida must have been landing the harder kicks. Disregard the fact that “The Dragon” was taking steady, visible damage to the legs and body, Lyoto’s kicks were…… well, they were just harder according to the impact expert.

“Machida was controlling that round because he was dominant in not getting beat up in that round,” Cecil attempted to rationalize. “He was the general in that first round.”

I don’t know, but if Machida was dominant in not getting beat up in that round, wasn’t Shogun even that much more dominant being that not only was he “not getting beat up”, he was also pushing the action?

“Everybody was expecting him to destroy Shogun like he destroyed Rashad Evans, and he didn’t destroy him,” said Peoples. “It was a close fight. So people think: (Rua) did good. If he did that good, he must have won the fight.”

So to be the champion, not only do you have to beat him, you have to DESTROY him. Good to know.

And of course, that’s got to be it. Previously I was convinced that Mauricio should have been declared the rightful victor, but now that Cecil broke it down like that, I’m finally starting to realize that I thought Shogun did good, and that he should win the fight because of that. I never really believed that Rua actually won. I was terribly confused. Thanks for clarifying that for me Cecil, I’ve never been very good at thinking for myself.

For anyone that feels like Peoples should find a different way to make his daily bread, he has one message for you.

“If you don’t like it, you can go to hell,” stated Peoples in closing.

We don’t like it, and you have one of two choices: You can either find a profession you’re actually good at, or continue single handily setting this great sport back as the official donkey of mixed martial arts judging.

Do the right thing.

• Zuffa surely has SOME leverage when it comes to who officiates and judges their fights?

• Vogairian says:

Sergio Hernandez: Zuffa surely has SOME leverage when it comes to who officiates and judges their fights?I mean, they have enough pull with the AC that they can say, “We’ll bring UFC ### to your state but we don’t want Peoples or Mazzagatti anywhere near the cage,” right?Peoples’ “explanation” of his decision did nothing but solidify the fact that the man has no idea what he’s talking about when it comes to MMA.And his “you can go to hell” closer is disrespectful to fans who hold a different opinion than his and more importantly, disrespectful to Rua who I am sure doesn’t “like it.”

Honestly, I don’t think they have any control over it. I don’t know one way or another, but I would assume the best they could do is maybe ask that they not be used and hope for the best. From what I’ve heard from Dana, If they had any say at all, I don’t think Mazzagatti would ever step foot in the arena let alone the cage. In the end though, I think it’s good that they don’t have any say in it. The more control they have over the outcome, the more open they are to people crying “FIX!!!”.

• fanoftna33 says:

• submissionist says:

Bravo!!! Great piece.
    “He was dominant in not getting beat up” Isn´t that an oxymoron?

• David Andrest says:

fanoftna33: Bad judging happens all the time, although this is one of the few times a judge has acually gone on to explain why he picked who he did, it will always happen. At least in the ufc we get to see some of these very debateable decisions go to a rematch. If this were boxing these two would not fight again for anoth 3 years if at all, so I say thanks to judges like this for getting it wrong and giving us another chance to see two great fighters go at it.

Hammil “lost” to Bisping……………..opps that was Cecil as well

Hmmmmmm.

Bj lost the first round in Bj vs. Hughes 2 ?? opps that was Cecil as well.

I guess I need to just go to hell.

• fanoftna33 says:

So getting two rematches out of three bad decisions( although you cant count Bisping Hammil anymore because they are seperated by a weight class) wich gave us the fans 4 very good fights(and 1 more on the way) is that bad???
    I know the judging from Peoples is bad but complaining about it when we are getting a rematch sooner rather than later does no good. Add the fact that a lot of these bad decisions, and I am talking about the real bad ones are giving a rematch.
    Half of thoes bad fights you are complaining about David Andrest were made into rematches, with Machida Rua 2 coming, Bad judging has been around since ufc5 or 6 when they instituted judging and it is not going to change anytime soon. At least the ufc tries to give the fans a chance to see these guys go at it again.

• Pajamashark says:

“He was dominant in not getting beat up”Isn´t that an oxymoron?

It sounds to me like Cecil has this idea of Machida in his head as such an elusive and tactical fighter that he was awarding points based on the idea of Machida’s fighting style rather then what was actually happening in the cage.

“If Machida was getting kicked it was because he WANTED to. That was part of his plan. Letting Rua chase him all over and get kicked in the belly, means he was still dominating, because I can see into his mind and I knew Machida WANTED to be kicked in the belly. In addition to radar guns for eyes, I can also read minds.”

If the exact same fight played out with two different fighters he might see things differently, because he is not going into it with the expectations that one fighter will always fight a certain way. Or he might not because he’s an idiot.

Guess I should go to hell too. I’ll save you a seat, Dave.

• redwire says:

Let’s not forget that there were two other judges who watched the fight and came to the same conclusion as good ol’ Cecil did. Either they’re all in collusion, or the decision makes sense from their vantage points.

• neijia says:

Cory, independent of how qualified Peoples may be, it did appear Machida had better strikes in rds 1 and 3. Also, no one has addressed this question about leg kick defenses:

As a muay thai or mma judge, how would you consider when the guy getting kicked unweights his leg as a leg kick defense while countering with punches?

Try this simple experiment at home:

1. have your buddy kick your weighted leg.
    2. have your buddy kick your unweighted leg and have your leg give a litte.
    3. have your buddy punch you in the face.

What do you make of all of that? After that, what do you make of this question?

Remember this muay thai saying:
    Punch beats kick > kick beats elbow > elbow beats knee > knee beats punch.
    This is Chuck Liddell’s tactic of eating or ignoring leg kicks to punch instead.

• neijia says:

redwire: Let’s not forget that there were two other judges who watched the fight and came to the same conclusion as good ol’ Cecil did.Either they’re all in collusion, or the decision makes sense from their vantage points.

right. that’s why there are 3 judges. i vehemently disagreed with bisping v hamill, like you all feel about this one. do we always conclude all 3 judges are idiots? unfortunately there is this highly subjective element that exists and can’t be eliminated. maybe there should be a sudden death “next round wins” like on TUF, go to arm wrestling, or something.

• Cory Brady says:

neijia:

Try this simple experiment at home:

1. have your buddy kick your weighted leg.
    2. have your buddy kick your unweighted leg and have your leg give a litte.
    3. have your buddy punch you in the face.

What do you make of all of that? After that, what do you make of this question?

Remember this muay thai saying:
    Punch beats kick > kick beats elbow > elbow beats knee > knee beats punch.

neijia, I have no need of having a buddy of mine practice his Thai kicks on either my thigh, or shin for that matter. The main reason being that I have trained alongside fighters for several hard, bruise filled years. I know what it feels like to have severe hematomas from repetetive leg kicks absorbed on my thighs, and welts runninng all the way down my shin from checking kicks. My main point being that I feel like I am a pretty good judge of when someone is doing more severe damage just based on my experience of having to deal with the after effects of being on the receiving end of those kicks that many would rather believe had no impact on Machida. Whether he admits it or not, Lyoto has been feeling the pain in the days since their bout, and Shogun won that fight.

• s13 says:

submissionist says:
    October 29, 2009 at 10:52 am (Quote)
    Bravo!!! Great piece.
    “He was dominant in not getting beat up” Isn´t that an oxymoron?

Submissionist: It’s called an oxymoron BY a moron…he justs created a new definition.

• redwire says:

Fights like this are why I think that the boxing holdover of waiting for the ‘big reveal’ at the end of the match needs to be dropped. Yes, it’s very dramatic, but If you want drama, go watch Melrose Place. There is no reason why the judges can’t show the scores at the end of each round. Boxing and MMA are the only two sports where the competitors have no idea where they stand during the competition. This antiquated scoring system cost Shogun the belt

• damonkolt says:

I just don’t understand why people are getting this upset over the decision. I thought Rua had won 48-47, but it wasn’t a blow out lopsided fight as everyone’s making out to be. Round 1 and 3 are very open for debate and the only round that wasn’t close was 5, but this by far is not the worst decision even this year. I have gone back and watched it many times now and the only 2 things that really sticks out is how neither fighter really engaged as both looked looked to counter, and that it was kinda boring fight. I just think people need to get a grip and stop acting like this was the worst injustice since OJ was found not guilty.

• edub says:

Simple solution: Get rid of boxing judges in mma.

Look at a number of different fights that have gone to the scorecards in mma and see who has continued to give the fairest and most acceptable decisions. Take these few and set up a 6 month program for training judges and have the4m be the instructors. Have fans of the sport send in their applications and deem whoever you think is most worthy eligible for the school. After this is set in motion and the trainees complete the program have them watch hours and hours of fight tape daley.

I dunno about everyone else here but this would be my dream job. I guarantee half the bloggers on all mma sites would be a world better than peoples at his job.

• Austin says:

Good thing the rules only protect fighter bashing.
    because cecil peoples is a piece of crap.

• hindsightufuk says:

ha i cant think of anything to say except Cecil Peoples is a cunt

• greg says:

I saw Peoples take a muay thai referee seminar about two years ago, where the class took turns refereeing mock fights, & were critiqued…. Peoples was horrible… no joke, just completely incompetent as a referee, too. It was obvious to everyone in the class that he couldn’t keep a level head & had terrible instinct. When I saw that he was judging UFC fights, all I could think was “Oh shit…. how did he get THAT gig?!!”

• Makington says:

All right, the picture for this piece was hilarious. Huge props to whoever made it. I, like many on this site, have been very vocal about my opinion towards Cecil. I am currently trying to passive aggressively attack him by leaving my car running outside all day and night in the hopes that the global warming caused from my exhaust will reach him ad melt away everything he loves.

• Angry Mike says:

Peoples has been controversial for years, but I can’t pillory him for the Rua/Machida decision. I watched the thing several times, and judging it would’ve been difficult. I don’t favor either fighter, so I don’t think I have a personal bias. It was a close fight, and decisions in close championship fights have always gone to the champion. Hell, I thought Earnie Shavers beat Ali back in the day, but that’s not how the decision went.

• 27jride says:

Can we start a petition to have him and Mazzagati permanently removed from the sport and both be replaced by John McCarthy?

• Screenplaya says:

I felt Rua marginally outperformed Machida, but I am not upset at the outcome.

I think that title fights are viewed differently by many fans and even some (or maybe most) judges. To beat the champ, you gotta beat him. That means a tie goes to champ, which it does. But it can also mean that an even round is scored for the champ. If the challenger doesnt do enough to win the round, then he has failed, and the champ gets the nod. I don’t really have an issue with this.

Also, I think the lack of balance in Joe Rogan’s blow-by-blow coverage of the fight has led a number of people to think that Rua won rounds that he did not win. So many times, Rogan would remark on Rua’s leg kick, without mentioning that Rua had taken a right hook to the cheek at the same time.

But, if that had not been a title fight, Rua would have won.

‘Playa

• edub says:

Screenplaya: But it can also mean that an even round is scored for the champ. If the challenger doesnt do enough to win the round, then he has failed, and the champ gets the nod. I don’t really have an issue with this.

Good point playa.

• Davey D says:

Shogun won the fight and was flat out robbed. Plain and SIMPLE. There is no way Sherdog, MMA Mania, Bloody Elbow, MMA Junkie, Fightlinker, Fight Metric, ESPN and whoever else scoring the in favor of Mr. Rua can be wrong. Impossible, well, according to the Judges they are but…

If you picked Machida…I’m sorry, you are wrong.

This rematch can’t come quick enough but we’ll have to wait until at least January.

It’s funny, my friend bet me a beer that Machida would win. I just happened to buy a round as the 5th round was ending. I gave him his beer before the verdict was read and he goes, “Naw, Naw…Shogun clearly won that fight; I owe you.”

Well…we all know what happened next. I can’t help but think I jinxed Shogun. Cheers!!!

• edub says:

Way to go Davey you ruined it for all of us.

• Davey D says:

• neijia says:

Cory Brady:

corey – sorry, question was not just you, but any of you guys who have this experienced taking lots of these kicks… how do you then judge kicks to weighted vs. unweighted legs vs. punches to face and for that matter vs. knees to body

• edub says:

Davey D: Oh dang, edub…my bad homie. Seriously though, when they said Machida won. The bar I was at was quiet as fack for 4 or 5 seconds. Then, all the Machida riders were like, “Woooo…yeah, baby….Woooo”. It was very, very funny to say the least. All I could think was, “This is bullshit”.

Def garbage man. I still dont understand how Lyoto thinks he had him in danger 3 or 4 times.

• Dufresne says:

edub: Simple solution: Get rid of boxing judges in mma.

Exactly.
    In what other sport do we have Refs or Judges going between 2 or more sports?
    There are no NBA refs working for the NFL or NHL.
    Just because both MMA and boxing involve striking does not mean that someone trained in one is qualified for the other.

• grachuss says:

Didn’t he score it the exact same way as one of the other judges? Why didn’t you do one of your opinion pieces on him?

• Makington says:

He scored likewise with the other 2 judges, but that’s not the point. He has, quite consistently, proven that his mental capacity is only rivaled by a turnip. He has been the deciding factor in almost every controversial decision in the past few years. You can’t blame him for one close call that he believed went the other way. But when he makes mind-boggling decisions like this all the time, to the point where I’m bummed everytime I hear he is judging a fight, then something has to change.

Also, did you read his reasonings for how Machida won? ‘Machida was dominant at not getting beat up.’ Seriously?! That’s all you have to do to win nowadays? That statement is so terribly flawed that words genuinely fail me, and I have a snappy comeback to everything. When what you say is so dumb that all I can do is blink, then god damn, you suck.

• Iconoclastic says:

At this point Cecil should just shut his mouth. “But Machida hit him harder, especially in the early rounds.” Sure he did. Just like in the sequence (1st round) where Machida had Shogun in the Thai clinch and landed 3 knees to the stomach to which Shogun didn’t even flinch.

“Everybody was expecting him to destroy Shogun like he destroyed Rashad Evans, and he didn’t destroy him.” Everybody???? I think that it is safe to say that judges should NEVER have a fight already predetermined in their minds before they judge a fight but it sounds like ol’ Cecil probably even knew the betting line for this fight.

IMO the UFC needs to be proactive in fixing their scoring system, selecting better judges (they do this with referees esp. in main events, so why not better judges?) NO they instead spend their time going after “competitors” (Affliction, Strikeforce) who, in reality, are just helping promote the sport and are NO threat to the UFC

• Makington says:

I agree completely Icon, but there’s just nothing the UFC can do. I can make as big a difference as Dana can, which is we can both complain. Until the Athletic Council decides themselves to fix what seems some pretty obvious flaws, all we can do is watch the fights and hope whatever Cecil ends up judging doesn’t go to decision.

• MMApride19 says:

Im not even going to comment on the fight here. Im going to comment on Cecil Peoples.

First and most importantly, this guy is a complete, and utter dick. He really is. Every time he judges, there is always controversy, well most times anyway. He simply sucks when judging an MMA fight, i dont have experience seeing him judge a boxing fight, as i dont watch much boxing lol. But, he is very bad judging MMA. He does not seem at all knowledgeable of the sport, and does not address all aspects of the sport. I honestly cannot stand the guy.

We shouldnt be arguing about whether Machida or Shogun won, we should be arguing about whether the judges are fit to judge, because if they were, there wouldnt be so much debate over decisions. And there is a few stand out fights that have caused plenty of controversy over who won the decision and who didnt. Close decisions are always going to occur, however they need to be judged correctly, or days or even weeks of debates on the same subject occur. And worse, they have an effect on the fighters mental state. I dont know if any of you train MMA, but do any of you learn to fight under the ‘criteria’ of Cecil Peoples lol? Well i most definetly dont. His criteria are all alien to me, i have no idea what he is trying to say sometimes, its that ridiculous.

I know fighters should always try and finish fights etc etc, but like it or not, decisions are a large part of MMA, they happen often. And when they happen, they need to be judged correctly. Ok, i agree that little mistakes are always made, but Cecil Peoples really takes the piss sometimes, his mistakes are not mistakes, they are more – they are stupidity in the strongest degree. His justifications for everything are just laughable. Im not just on about his justifications for this fight, but for many fights in the past. He is shocking, and should never be aloud to judge an MMA fight.

Judging in MMA should be a way to decide the rightful winner based on 3 aspects: Octagon Control, Grappling and Effective Strikes. Cecil Peoples seems to judge on styles, and what HE thinks is correct. You only have to read this guys comments to understand.

Everyones debating whether Shogun Rua or Machida won. I think we need to have debates on whether Cecil Peoples should be judging MMA. As a HUGE fan of MMA, i hate to see an inexperienced guy (in MMA area) like that ruin the sport, by trying to change the criteria of winning a decision. Thats what it seems like he is doing to me. This decision was just the icing on the cake. But there have been many others…

• BillyWarhol says:

I wondered who the Moron was that gave Machida this Undeserved Victory.

Machida should do the Right thing tho + hand the Belt to Shogun Rua, in fact he shouldda done it in the Ring!! It would have been thee Biggest thing of all time!!

U know U got Beat Machida!! Do the Right thing + Give the Effin’ Belt to the Winner!!!

• king mah mah says:

I don’t agree with people saying when the round or fight is even then the champion gets the nod.

If the fight is even then score it even! Same with each round. Why don’t we apply that logic to every sport then. If the defending super bowl champs are tied up at the end of the 4th during the season then instead of going to sudden death they should just get the nod. Yeah that makes sense.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

Wtf is Peoples saying…..? what does he know about what happened inside the cage and who got hit more and who hits harder if he sits outside the cageside to judge……? It’s not like He walks inside and around the cage observing the fight while having a note pad on his hand to jot down weird diagrams and paragraphs or some shit to judge the fight (not that I actually do that lol).

• submit662266 says:

C. Peoples is a disgrace. The current rules of need re-working, but his rationale for his decision goes completely against what the current rules say he should look for.