Someone Had To Say It: Quinton “Rampage” Jackson

RampageWhat in the world is going on with Quinton Jackson lately? Is Rampage having an energy drink relapse or something?

From his withdrawal from his highly anticipated grudge match with Rashad Evans at UFC 107 to take part in the upcoming A-Team feature film, to his shockingly selfish behavior as a “coach” on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter, to recently bad mouthing the UFC with every opportunity; It seems like Jackson is truly climbing up the walls as of late.

Quite frankly, the “everyone else is fake and nobody understands me” shtick is getting as old as Quinton’s horrendously repetitive “stank breath” jokes.

What happened to the Rampage us “hardcores” came to know and love back in the days. That quirky, chain wearing, werewolf howling and fun loving brawler that seemed like he was just one of us. The guy that appeared to be one of the coolest and down to earth fighters you would have ever come across?

Did the beatings Rampage took at the hands of Wanderlei Silva during the PRIDE days have had that significant of an impact on the wiring of his brain that something could have, perhaps…. been knocked loose?

Lets not forget that Rampage’s spiritual rebirth followed immediately after his first brutal dismantlement at the hands of “The Axe Murderer”.

In Jackson’s most recent blog post on his official website the former champion had this to say:

I was watching the fight this weekend with the director of the A Team movie, the movie crew & a couple of actors & I never been ashamed to be a part of MMA till now… The UFC looked like assholes this weekend. The main event was boring. I anticipated that because let’s be real. Machida is a boring fighter. But Shogun getting robbed like that was pretty cut throat. Then you hear Joe Rogan say you “you have to beat the champ to be a champ.” & that made me think the UFC are full of shit! Not to be whiny here but I still don’t feel like I’ve been beat in the UFC.. but I’m not champ anymore. If the UFC gives Shogun an immediate rematch because of the controversial loss then that would validate everything I have said about the UFC in my recent posts & why I’m pissed at the UFC. But yet he deserves one & so have I deserved one against Forrest.

The UFC looked like “a*******”? The UFC is “full of s***”? Really? Lets not forget this is the same UFC that bailed Quinton out of jail following his recent rampage through California. The same UFC that made sure he found a safe home in the UK where he could clear his head from the drama surrounding him in the states, and more importantly to protect Jackson from himself as far as the press was concerned.

As far as complaining about deserving an immediate rematch against Griffin goes: Most people had Forrest winning that fight. That’s just the fact of the matter. In direct contrast, it seems as though the majority of fans and experts watching the Machida/Rua bout came away with Shogun as the victor.

The reason why I was ashamed of the UFC is because some people around me were saying that the UFC is becoming corrupt like boxing & asked me is that stuff real? Most of the people from the A Team movie were just watching it because I was watching it & they don’t know much about MMA & were starting to get into it but last night they didn’t have anything good to say about my sport. So I was so ashamed.

So let me get this straight: If some randoms that had obviously never seen mixed martial arts before begin to badmouth this great sport we have come to understand and love, we’re supposed to just tuck? Agree with them? Bow our heads in shame?

I beg to differ. I’ve heard it all before, that stuff is fake, it’s brutal, it’s barbaric, it’s corrupt, and on and on. This is where I, as an avid follower and supporter of the sport, take it upon myself to clarify a number of preconceived misconceptions about MMA still held by some of those we haven’t broken through to yet. The last thing I would do would be to change my position on a sport I have come to represent as a person.

After going on a little rant about how Machida’s performance somehow translated into his arch-nemesis Rashad Evans being made into an even bigger b**** than ever before, Rampage goes on to endlessly complain about how he was edited during this season of The Ultimate Fighter. Like some type of movie magic caused Rampage to be absent from the Octagon with his fighters after they had suffered defeat.

No wonder TUF is editing Rahsad to try to make him look good cause they need all their fighters to sell tickets. They never should have tried to make me look bad cause I’m the wrong person to pull that type of crap with. Cause I don’t give a fuck about the TUF show or about the UFC. There’s not another fighter on this planet that can do what I do & they know it. I don’t need them… All they did was fucken piss me off. & any fighter on my team who says they lost a fight because of my coaching can fucken kiss my ass & say that shit to my face.

I for one am sick and tired of bullies masquerading as professional athletes constantly falling back on the, “Say it to my face” routine.

Reality check: We live in a society with police officers, courts, lawsuits and prisons.

When is being considered a tough guy no longer that important. I’d say the point when you’re dealing with a seven figure bank roll would be as good a place as any to start.

Jackson goes on to state that this will be the final time slinging mud at the television show that surely made his B.A. Baracus candidacy a lot more logical for those involved in the casting department.

This is my last time blogging about this damn TUF show. Just because I don’t go into the cage when a fighter loses & cry all over him & hug on him makes me a bad person? I have many reasons why I don’t go into the cage cause when I’m pissed I make bad decisions.

A bad person; absolutely not. A bad coach; definitely.

With his biggest wins to date in the Octagon coming over fighters nobody is considering as title contenders, hopefully Jackson can slice himself off a hunk of that humble pie and get back to doing what he does best in the near future: Fighting, not talking.

• MacBatty says:

Great article Cory youve been on fire lately!

• greg says:

Rampage has some issues… I’m a huge fan, but man, he really is digging a hole for his own integrity with all the nonsense he is talking. He must really think movie stardom is in his future to be so dismissive of the UFC after he bailed on them.
    I never thought I’d say this before, but I really think Rashaad Evans got in his head, & the thought of losing to Rashaad is freaking Rampage out inside. That’s the only reason I can come up with for him to feel like he has to dismiss Evans, the UFC, fighters that he “coached”, & even the sport of MMA.
    You’re bummin’ me out, Rampage!

• jding3 says:

• 27jride says:

His whining IS getting really old I agree, and I don’t see why he even cares to squabble about old B.S.. I have to say though, I’m also pretty sick of hearing about what a bad coach he is; who cares?! These guys didn’t pay him for coaching lessons. They went on a TV show to fight using the skills that got them noticed by UFC in the first place and, maybe even learn something from the coaches & team mates to help make them a better fighter. These guys ARE NOT there primarily to learn, but to FIGHT AND WIN the contract; if they couldn’t do it without the coach then they don’t even belong on the show in the first place! If you ask ANY of the prospective guys for the next show BEFORE they go on, every one of them will tell you they don’t give a f*#k about who the coaches are and what they’ll learn- they just want a chance to fight for the UFC! I’m sure the coaching is a nice side benefit and most guys are looking forward to it somewhat but would they go on the show if there were no coaches? YOU BET YOUR ASS!

• David Andrest says:

He is alergic to TUF, last time he coached the show, he shortly after ended up staying up three days on “energy drinks” . He needs to stay away from TV cameras and Microphones unless he is fighting.

• H3ro says:

Yes, I agree…great article. I never liked Rampage and now his true colors are showing. Money does change some people

• 27jride says:

I agree with Dave

• BigDave says:

WOW!

He is just one big bag of stupid isn’t he?

• Makington says:

MacBatty: Dude this guy loses cool points everytime he opens his mouth….I’m waiting for a piece of Wanderlei’s Knee to fall out of it.When TUF started i can honestly say i couldnt wait for him to destroy Rashad…Now i am questioning if i am even his fan….AND on top of that i am kinda starting to like Rashad.Great article Cory youve been on fire lately!

You said that perfect man. I am actually really coming around to Rashad. I hope he doesn’t ruin it the way he always does by going on rant about how he’s the best. I highly doubt it will be Rampage’s last whiner blog but everything he is saying lately is starting to get to me.

Thank you again Cory for standing by the fans and sticking up to the fighters and the popular media.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Well said, Cory. I would only add that Quittin calling out one of the TUF fighters and taunting them constantly is complete BS. The TUF guys have literally everything to lose and as far as they knew,
    Ranaway Jackson was untouchable, the golden boy of the UFC whom Dana and the Fertittas would go to the ends of the earth to protect and coddle.
    It’s a bit funny that it’s all come back to bite White, the Fertittas, and the UFC right on the ass.

There may be no winners in the whole deal, ratings aside . . . but Quittin Jackson, who now plays dress up for a living without getting hit in the face, has shown he’s a poser and a loser. I will forever
    root against Jackson. Yeah, I’m that small minded.

• Makington says:

By that I mean that even though many sites say the fight was controversial, Cory has been the only one so far to say, “You know what? It was more than controversial, it was downright wrong.” same thing with calling out Rampage. Every other site just reports what he says, you’re the first to call him out on it.

You’re going to be on his next blog though Cory, I must warn you. He is going to complain about how fake you, and all of us, are. After that he will then awkwardly tie it to how Rashad is a giant douche.

• valzcer says:

jding3: We all know that Rampage isn’t going to stay retired forever. But right now I can’t see him ever coming back to fight in the UFC, it just seems that there are too many obstacles to overcome. Do you think the UFC would ever sell the remaining fights on his contract to Strikeforce. I’d love to see Mousasi Vs Jackson, that’d be an incredible fight

• outergarage says:

Rampage playing the victim is getting old. Nothing is ever his fault. He is misunderstood. People are portraying him in a negative light.

I am with everyone else. He obviously has emotional issues. His responses to everything are that of a child.

I used to be a fan.

• MMApride19 says:

Jackson is just a very messed up human being IMO. At times he seems normal, but then he can be extremely weird. I mean.. i like him and i am a fan of his, because i grew up watching his fights in pride and other organisations. So.. i still feel like i am a fan. But he is losing my respect slightly by the way he is acting. And what he says. It just seems to me (without trying to sound like an expert in human psychology lol) that Jackson has alot of unresolved issues… in alot of areas in his life. His childhood obviously wasnt perfect. And his career hasnt been perfect. There has been alot of ups and downs for him. I think he needs a break from fighting. And i hope he comes back with a clear mind. And he can start giving us great entertaining fights once again. I just hope Dana White lets him back in after what he has said…

• neijia says:

Let’s see. Celebrity with issues. Check. Former star pro athlete who is no good at coaching. Check. Prima donna attitude. Check. “Acting” in a TV show-based movie. Check. Yes, he has everything needed for permanent reality TV “stardom”.

Pride Rampage may be gone (Pride Sakuraba, Pride Wanderlei, Pride Cro Cop, and lots of others are gone, too) and he may be a lousy coach with some issues but I don’t care. I still like Rampage. Even Rashad laughs at his sense of humor. There is no reason to stop being a fan of the guy. I think he’s out of MMA forever. Forget about Pride Rampage. He can go the “entertainer” route, maybe do some wrestling like Ken Shamrock, do some other “reality” shows and B movies. Not too shabby in the scheme of things.

• egad81 says:

The TUF show is making Rashad look like a more mature guy then when he was a cast member.
    Rampage is just being Rampage. He is a fighter not a coach and the UFC is just selling their show with his personality.

I cant wait to see him and Rashad fight and we all know…. ITS GONNA HAPPEN! And the winner of that fight should get a #1 contender status

• Pajamashark says:

Rampage is not going to punch you if you call him out to his face. He’s going to do something much much worse and more hurtful.

Rampage is not fucking around. He will drive to your house with murder on his mind, and a badly drawn caricature of you in the front seat. That caricature was done by Boardwalk Larry in Atlantic City and he paid fifteen dollars for that motherfucker, okay? It has you balancing a ball on your nose at the beach like a seal, for real homie. Like a SEAL WITH A BALL ON ITS NOSE. Because you are just like a big clapping seal for the UFC. Like you Dana White’s seal, boy. SEAL BOY! ARUF ARUF ARUF! LIKE A UF SEAL!

And then he will try to knock down your door. But he will break his hand because the door is not made of cardboard like the doors in the TUF gym. And then he will start injecting himself with wolf tranquilizers and start chewing on the inside of your mailbox. THIS MAILBOX IS FULL OF SHIT! WHO THE FUCK IS PAPA JOHN? I WILL BEAT HIS ASS BECAUSE 11.99 FOR A LARGE ONE TOPPING IS FUCKING BORING AND I WANT TO TAKE A NAP. TAKE A NAP LIKE RASHAD DID WHEN HE FOUGHT MACHIDA MUHA HA HA HA HA HA! And when your mom answers the door to explain you are not home, he will start doing the stanky leg dance and your mother will think he is having a seizure since he is foaming hard at the mouth around even the pizza menu he still has clamped in his teeth.

Then when the paramedics arrive and ask him if he is a danger to himself of others, he will start screaming the word CONTROL and ask them if they brought him any Red Bull. And when they say no, he will not reply other then to make sad small noises “aruf aruf aruf…” and take a shit on your frontlawn. While he is trying to explain to your mother that he named his bowel movement Rashad, Mr. T will peel up the curb in a van with a machine gun coming out of the top, and smack Rampage in the face with a box of Mr. T cereal from 1984 and scream, “You a disgrace, foo’! Stop taking motherfucking crazy pills and start taking your vitamins!” Then Mr. T will hold Rampage down while your mother beats him around the head with Boardwalk Larry’s caricature for scaring the neighbors.

Rampage then tries to tell your neighbors that he’s not a psycho, he’s just a coach, or a fighter, or a seal with stank breath, or titties or I love Kimbo, man do I love Kimbo … damn wolf tranquilizers are making it hard to make brainorgan make wordforms… can I buy a vowel…aruf aruf aruf… As the authorities take Rampage away to Arkham Asylum by letting him wear a couple of bandages around his waist, and pretend its a titlebelt, Mr. T invites everyone out in his magic van for ice cream and unicorns.

• Austin says:

Corey,
    I’ll be the last guy to ever defend rampage jackson, but he did beat hendo. He’s lost to good fighters, and a beat a decent amount of cans.

• s13 says:

Enough Quinton….ENOUGH. You are a professional fighter, fight and stop whining, do your talking in the octagon…nuff said.

• “I’m sorry, but say it to your face? Really Rampage? And then what? You’re going to kick their ass right? Take it to the street? Murk them?”

Bravo, sir. Bravo!

• Angry Mike says:

I think Rogan said it best last Saturday. The more this season of TUF unfolds and the more Rashad and Rampage trash-talk each other, the sorrier I am that Rampage backed out of the fight. By the time this season is over, this could be a bigger grudge than Serra/Hughes.

I have a hard time getting too worked up about Rampage. The guy instantly says whatever comes into his head. No filter whatsoever. It’s like the guy has Tourette’s syndrome or something. I don’t think he can stop himself.

• nope says:

valzcer: Not a incredible fight,more like a one-sided fight, Mousasi by k.o. in 3rd minute. Pride Rampage is gone.

With all this…i still think Rampage beats Mousasi. Easily

• edub says:

nope: With all this…i still think Rampage beats Mousasi. Easily

Agreed. Mousasi has never been in there with anyone remotely close to Rampage.

• dpk says:

Rampage will be back in UFC, because no one else will pay him as much as UFC, and he will look like an even bigger punk if he keeps talking shit about Rashad, and Machida, and then goes and fights in another organization. I also bet that UFC could tie his contract up in court for awhile if he tries to go and fight somewhere else.

• submit662266 says:

I’m glad I DVR the show b/c the childish bickering between Rampage and Rashad gets OLD. Rampage is a legend in his own mind.

I’ve got news for you Rampage: that “boring fighter” Machida would kick your ass in a heartbeat. He’d hit you 20 times in 3 seconds,

As I recall, Rampage was likely to get the next title shot against Machida, but his re-match with Rashad was obviously more important. He must have been working with Tito, learning the head movement on how to duck a fight that he knows he will lose.