Shane Carwin: ‘Who can really complain about your dreams being delayed a bit?’

Shane Carwin PicReacting to the last few days’ worth of news regarding UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar withdrawing from UFC 106 due to an unidentified illness, top challenger Shane Carwin took to his website to express his thoughts on the situation in addition to a few other things.

In the posting he goes on to talk about the effects of swine flu, which he himself actually suffered a recent bout of, as well as offered his take on how he was informed of Lesnar’s decision, an extremely poignant moment he experienced with a young fan in Los Angeles, and what exactly fighting the UFC title means to him…

On Being Sick: “Last week was the first week that I actually started feeling better from a strain of the swine flu. I had lost almost 23 pounds (something I could not afford to lose) and had just pulled some muscles in my leg during training. As UFC 104 approached my manager said, ‘We should be thankful we are not fighting from your re-broken nose to the leg this wasn’t our time’. As I prepared to go to UFC I began to realize what I had ahead of me and I began to panic a bit. I was due to be fighting for the UFC Heavyweight title. I called Jason back and said you are right, but I can’t go to Los Angeles I need to train. I was reminded about my commitments to the fans at Kmart and the Q&A, and I knew I had to go.”

On the Importance of Fans: In L.A. I was reminded exactly why we do this sport. Fans were all over the place and every interaction was a positive one. While at Kmart I meet a young man who competes in the Special Olympics and he said he looked up to us fighters. I was so taken back by the fact that he put us fighters on a pedestal. Here was this young man who defied incredible odds in life to reach the Olympics and he pushes himself every day to do things you and I take for granted. I was bitching about a flu, my leg (that would heal), and taking time away from training and this young man looks up to me? He gave me his Octagon necklace and I do not think he realized what an impact he made on me.

I knew right then that I was going to suck it up and drive on. Edward and the rest of Team Carwin would be the fuel to carry me through the rough times and make sure that come fight night I will be the champion. Edward’s life has been nothing but full of twist and turns of which he has very little choice on what happened to him, his choice is to not let his twist or turns take him off the his path in life.”

On the Lesnar News: “…when my phone rang and it was Kevin Iole from Yahoo sports asking for my comment on Brock pulling out of the fight I was disappointed and in shock. I had just convinced myself to walk through hell to fight this guy and a respected member of the media was asking for a comment. I immediately called my manager who informed me that it was news to him as well but for me to stay calm, don’t talk to anyone and wait for his call. My wife and I were in shock, it was like the opposite of when we got the news that we were fighting for the title. I wanted nothing more then for Kevin to be wrong.

Thirty minutes go by and (my manager) calls me back to say he was able to reach the UFC matchmaker and the fight was not happening and that Brock had been ill for “six weeks”. He informed me that all the UFC executives were in the TUF tryouts and we really needed to sit tight until we could hear from them what the next steps were.”

On the Delayed Title Bout: “Fighting for the UFC belt is my path and honestly Brock coming down with his illness only gives me more time to be in that much better shape. It is a blessing if you want to know the truth. I would have never pulled out of the fight. I would wheel myself to the cage if it was my choice. I know this is my destiny and I don’t need everything to be perfect. I just need my opportunity to show the world what I can do and who I am.

As I write this I still do not know what is in store for me in the near future. I have my own training wounds that need to heal, I have teammates preparing for fights and they need my help, and I want to be ready for whatever the UFC brings my way. I am not the star of the show. I really do not have any say in the matter. My job is to be ready when they need me, I will be. I pray that Brock gets better soon and that he and I can put this fight together. The fans want this fight and so do I. So we will just have to wait and see what the UFC has in mind for Team Carwin.

As I said I feel blessed to have the extra time to rehab my injuries and recover from the flu. I think that I am blessed to have an amazing team of people helping me and supporting me that it really doesn’t matter about the twist and turns of life because I know I am on the right path. If Edward can so can I. Who can really complain about your dreams being delayed a bit? I am lucky to be fighting for the best fans in the World, I am lucky to have an amazing family and the best coaches and team mates in the game.”

For the entire entry and others please visit his website.

• ihateurface says:

I wonder if Carwin really is as nice a guy as he seems…If he is genuine that my hats off to him for being what appears to be one of the most personable fighters in the UFC. I hope he doesn’t some day prove me wrong.

• ihateurface says:

I wonder if Carwin really is as nice a guy as he seems…If he is genuine than my hats off to him for being what appears to be one of the most personable fighters in the UFC. I hope he doesn’t some day prove me wrong.

• Hitman Hartnell says:

…respected member of the media…ha, ha. Carwin’s funny.

• Beau Fury says:

I think he is a nice guy but you never know really. I mean look at how people viewed Rashad and Rampage??? I mean in little under 6 weeks public view of them has reversed!!! I think that both Carwin and Lesnar are genuinely nice guys in private but Brock knows how to sell a fight and that in a large part is why he acts the way he does… I mean he acts like an ass and we all talk sh** but at the end of the day we are still gonna buy every PPV that he is on!!!

• Pajamashark says:

I don’t mind the delay if it means we will get to see both fighters at their peak, instead of a Big Nog vs. Mir type of situation. Carwin should get points for admitting his own struggle to recover from a flu, and not go all Tito Ortiz on the situation and call Brock a sissy who is afraid to step up. To me, it shows he’s pumped up for this bout for all the right reasons, and I’m looking forward to the match where both guys are at 100%.

• BigDave says:

I’ve heard the fight will be rescedualed foe ufc 108. So we need to wait a few months to see Carwin get smashed by lesnar. I like Carwin but I don’t see him getting out of the first round. But all this title talk is a mute point because come spring 2010 The rightful contender to the HW crown will be The new Champ and That is Cain Valasquez.

• kenonbass says:

Kevin Iole is a respected member of the media….

*shaking head is disgust*

• Kung Foo says:

I have never meant Carwin, so like someone said earlier I hope he is as genuine as he seems. Brock on the other hand, different story. I was with my wife at the fighter signings for Penn vs Sherk fight, It was Kenny Florian,Evan Tanner, Coleman, and Brock, and we were in line, and as we got closer to the front of the line. Everyone in line watched Brock get up and leave a couple of hundred fans behind in the lerch, and quit the booth way early, and just walk around with no one able to get close to him due to the security around him, long before the sign ins were over. While Evan who was sitting right next to him, had a sign up saying he would stay late for anyone to take pictures and autographs with him. Thats the Brock we were first introduced too.

• moosebaby02 says:

fine BigDave i will give you what you want to hear.
    VALASQUEZ IS A BEAST. I think he should be charged for rape for the way he manhandeld rothwell with such bullying and speed and ANGER is the only way to put it. I can now see why you think he can beat Brock but i can also see him losing as well. As for now i have it as this
    1. Brock
    2. Carwin
    3. Nog
    4. Cane
    UFC wise
    and one more win for him he should be getting his shot. now who to match him up with????
    Give him Nog? lest see if he can prove the hype one more time?
    Good thing we didnt bet some cash eh Dave?

• moosebaby02 says:

As for Carwin this guy is as humble as they come trust me.
    cant wait to see this fight.
    Get better Brock your going to need to be

• BigDave says:

moosebaby02: fine BigDave i will give you what you want to hear.
    1. Brock
    2. Carwin
    3. Nog
    4. Cane
    UFC wise
    Give him Nog? lest see if he can prove the hype one more time?
    Good thing we didnt bet some cash eh Dave?

Hey fair assessment of the list, Cain is still untested by a top teir HW I,m just a big fan and want to see him beating the best out there. Nog would be a great next step for him and if he can stop him and look convincing there is no way he doesnt get a title shot.

Ya good for you there was no cash on the line. lol 😉

• moosebaby02 says:

hey is starting to make me a believer

• fanoftna33 says:

I really didnt think Cain could get past Rothwell, let alone in the manner that he did. I would like to see him fight a guy like Nog who is a legit submission guy because it seems that is the only part of his game that is left untested, his sub defense.

• edub says:

Yea well Im rooting for Shane now.

• shotokai_ says:

Does anyone else think Carwin is an absolutely ruthless, and often transparent, self promoter? Its a good job he’s decent at his profession.

• Jstew3785 says:

I’m sure that Carwin is being told to build up the fight by Dana, Joe Silva, etc… Question for All: At the end of the Henderson vs Cerrone fight, did you hear Reed Harris coaching Ben Henderson on calling out Varner? He told him ” There’s a fight in December and call him out”. He even gave Henderson an attaboy after he did call him out.

• xtreme_machine says:

man i hate this guy even more every time he opens his mouth

he tells Brock the this in not the WWE

but he his the one cutting the promo

maybe he should look into some Rich Flair old stuff because this Sh*t does not cut it

• H3ro says:

Kmart?? I can’t believe Carwin shops there. Shane is calling out Brock, saying that he would fight rather than back out. That’s awesome!!!

• Makington says:

Man, how can you not like this guy? He already acts like a true champ. Here’s hoping he can prove it when he and Brock fights.

• bigbadjohn says:

This guy is a class act. But hold on a tick here people! I’m not saying his nice guy talk is a front but he does seem like he’s really trying to get the MMA fans to like him. He knows playing the ‘nice guy’ role definitely creates a classic storyline for his title shot with Brock. Good Guy vs. Bad Guy so on and so on… I mean read his blogs, read his quotes. He sucks up to the internet fans and websites constantly. “MMA fans are the greatest fans in sports” etc. They are probably both great people but just because one loves the PR and one doesn’t shouldnt decide your opinion of them in the ring. Just don’t fall for this hooplah when it starts getting pushed down our throats closer to fight date. I must admit I came to 5ounces to write this after I brought up cagepotato.com to see there was yet another article gloating about this ‘People’s fighter’. They are so in the tank for Carwin it’s not funny. Chk out this last article entitled “for the record, Shane Carwin wouldn’t have pussied out of his fight against Lesnar”, then glance at a few more recent posts regarding brock or shane. Nice to see a site out there with some integrity 5ounces.

• bigbadjohn says:

also BigDave How in the hell do you think Cain has a chance against Lesnar? I think stylictically this is an awful match up for Cain. You have two fighters with pretty much the exact same gameplan. Both are heavy handed take-down artists that love GnP. Both are Div. 1 wrestlers. Neither seem to have much of a submission game and both haven’t really shown one-punch KO capabilities their opponents. So it will surely be a ‘take down and hold position while trying to hammer the opponent out’ kind of fight, and you are seriously gonna take the 50 lbs. lighter guy? How exactly are you seeing this go well for Cain???

• Makington says:

That’s very true bigbadjohn. He does seem an incredibly nice guy…almost too nice. I would like to see other sides of him to see what he’s really like but it’s not like I’m ever going to meet the guy. I really have nothing else to go on so I will accept right now that he’s a really good guy but I’ll take it with a grain of salt. You’re right that it does seem like he’s going out of his way to become a people’s champ.

I also agreed fully on your Cain fight. I would love to see Cain win and I believe that he is the better fighter, but they fight almost like mirror images, so the distinct advantage goes to the guy with 50 extra pounds.

• Screenplaya says:

Brock’s illness (I suspect it might not be real, but I have no evidence one way or the other) allows him to hold his title a bit longer. Carwin is his worst nightmare. A man nearly as big as him with enough wrestling skill to ensure Brock cant dominate in that area.

Every chin that has come in contact with Shane’s fist, has failed. And Brock has a big chin to target. I will be surprised if Brock makes it more than 3 minutes in this fight.

I am so disappointed that we have to wait longer for it to happen.