Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson added to UFC 106

In a message on his Twitter account yesterday Josh Koscheck tweeted “I got some big fight news for me,I am fighting nov 21 in Vegas. Co main event!!! Haha it’s on baby!!!!”

It would appear Koscheck has been added to a UFC 106 card that suffered from a lost main event Monday when heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was forced to pull out of his scheduled title defense against Shane Carwin.

Since the announcement Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz II was thought to have been moved to main event, but it now appears a welterweight fight with two of the UFC’s top level fighters appears close to being added.

A recent report on Sherdog.com is indicating that Anthony Johnson could be the possible opponent for Koscheck. The report states that both fighters have verbally agreed to the fight.

Koscheck would be entering the bout on the heels of a very impressive performance at UFC 103 where he stopped Frank Trigg via TKO, while Johnson who is riding a 3 fight win streak, most recently fought this past weekend at UFC 104 where he was victorious in just :41 over Yoshiyuki Yoshida, a bout he failed to make weight for.

• David Andrest says:

mburtoni: Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson on the main card, either co-main event or co-co-main event behind lil Nog/Cane.

Well done sir.

• redwire says:

Koschek should plan to come in at about 175. Just in case.

• Bad Monkey says:

Nice job Joe Silva! An opponent like Koscheck will show just where Anthony Johnson stands in the WW division. Should be a great fight.

• Vogairian says:

Love it.

• egad81 says:

Johnson by KO round 2

• Beau Fury says:

I think Johnson can win this fight by keeping it standing. I think if Kos gets him to the ground he will just out grapple him!!! That said Johnson should be the stronger and bigger of the two that’s for sure!!!

• BigDave says:

Say goodnight Josh cause your lights are about to be put out. Rumble by KO round 1

• fanoftna33 says:

Both of these guys are good wrestlers, and both have koed Yoshida pretty handily, proving that each has decent to good striking, while I think Johnson has the edge standing as Kos seems to really only have the big right hand and……. he just has the big right. I know he caught Hazlett with a kick but it was a terrible looking kick and Johnson should have no trouble with that. Kos has the big fight experience here though so he will be my pick to win in a tough 3 rd tko, after AJ gasses a bit.

• moosebaby02 says:

I just got a chubby. This will be a geat test for Kos. Ya i said it ” a great test for Kos “.
    win over AJ will put him right back into the title picture. To bad for him cause when he get knocked the F out he will never sniff the ladder back to where he is now.
    R.I.P KOS. I love your style

• matt says:

I called Josh Koscheck taking this spot just picked the wrong oppenent. I thought it was going to be matt hughes across the octagon from Mr. Koscheck. But onto Koscheck vs. Johnson. This is a great fight as these are two of the most athlectic and gifted fighters in the welterweight division. This fight will show alot about both fighters. With a Kos win he will prove that he belongs as a top contender and move even closer to the rematch with champ Georges St. Pierre that he has long desired. With a Johnson win he will get the biggest win of his career and prove that he is ready to take on the best of the best in the welterweight division. Now onto how I see this fight playing out. I believe we will see Koscheck come in with a smart gameplan and come out with the win. Kos trains with some of the best in the world Fitch, Swick, Velasquez, etc. Koscheck has big fight experience, dominate wrestling and ever improving standup. Johnson also has an impressive training camp with Cung Le and Josh Thompson. Joshson is freakishly big for the welterweight division with devastating stand up and decent wrestling. Although, I think the difference in this fight will be Koschecks superior wrestling. I feel that if Kos goes back to seriously training his wrestling instead of only focusing on his stand up that he will be able to dominate Johnson on the ground and stop him with ground and pound. Johnson has been taken down before by guys not known as wrestlers such as Rich Clementi and Kevin Burns. There has only been one guy to not allow a kos takedown in a fight, Thiago Alves. Kos even got a takedown of GSP. I think Kos is compentent enough on his feet to avoid getting Koed and he will have the ability to put Johnson on his back and put a beating on him reminiscent of his fight against Chris Lytle. I see Koscheck winning in the third round by gnp and stoppage.

• manny says:

Finally da ufc gives Rumble a tough opponent. Rumble will KO Kos in the 2nd rd. I don’t see this going to the floor as both are good wrestlers. I wasn’t impressed win his tko against an OLD Trigg but I loved it when Paulo Thiago KTFO of him. Rumble Wins!

• edub says:

• Rich S. says:

A couple people called this in the last few days, good job to them..

The Rumble Train is riding strong right now, but I can’t pick him just yet..

Every time I pick against Kos (which isn’t very often any more) he ends up winning in dominant fashion.. His wrestling is top notch and his striking gets harder and faster with EVERY fight..

Actually, I think I’ve just changed my mind while writing this post..
    I’ll pick AJ to win..

I just realized that AJ is so strong and big that he will probably be able to defend Kos’ takedowns..
    And we all know Kos loves striking now.. Kos will strike until he gets hurt, and at that point, he may be too messed up to get it to the ground..

Anthony Johnson via TKO r2

• edub says:

edub: Damn no Koscheck at UFN 20. Oh well much better fight that makes a lot more since. Koscheck by bloody decision.

Im thinking about how the fight will go right now, and I really cant see AJ winning. He is as strong as they come at ww and a great wrestler, but he is tall. In the grapplers AJ has beat most of them used a lot of body lock takedowns( Tommy Speer, Zenko). Koscheck is gonna be at his legs all night. Koscheck is shorter and faster. I just really think Koscheck will handle Rumble.

• Jstew3785 says:

I hope Johnson can make weight for this one. I’m not shit talking Johnson for not making weight but I sincerely hope he does this time around. It looks to me like it took a lot out of him this last fight and on such short notice for such a drastic cut it is going to be difficult. I hope he pulls it off though.

• Jstew3785 says:

Oh, and Rumble by KO round 2

• xtreme_machine says:

ah yeah

man i predicted this one coming

lets just hope that he can make weight this time to collect his KO of the night and one a fight away from getting the title shot

maybe after this one Johnson can take on Fitch or Thiago Alves

• Jstew3785 says:

Rumble vs Alves would be a monster fight. I wish they would have set that fight up rather than Fitch vs Alves.

• nope says:

AJ should start cuttin right now.

Kos via Unan Dec.

• s13 says:

I called this on on the brock post:

scroll down…i was hoping joe silva would return my txt and tell me he booked it, i guess he does listen! GO JOE SILVA!!! RUMBLE VS KOS, and after rumble ko’s kos, he gets the winner of alves / fitch, then comes GSP next summer…MARK MY WORDS, he’s TOO BIG for any of them….lets just hope he makes weight. :)

• greg says:

we all have to ignore the mauling that a huge A.J. gave the miniature Yoshida at 104…. I don’t see that happening to Kos…. the weight loss will suck the life out of A.J.’s cardio…I see him blowing his wad early & Koscheck taking him down & pounding him out later in the fight.

• Makington says:

There’s no doubt in my mind tat Johnson will make weight. He knows how much is riding on this, and he’s too smart a fellow to let everyone down again. That being said, I think Kos has the ability to win this fight, or lose this fight for himself. If he remembers what a stud wrestler he is, I think he can keep Johnson guessing enough so that he can’t fully commit to his striking. However, if he does what he’s done lately, he might try to stand the whole time, which I think would be a short night for him.

When Kos ignores his wrestling completely, he becomes a lightly above average fighter. When he puts his whole skill set together, he becomes a frighteningly well rounded fighter proving an amazing test for the UFC’s brightest prospect.

Hmmmmm, I already know this fight will bring some intense fireworks, but I don’t know exactly who I should pick. If Kos brings his A-game, which involves his wrestling, then I think he can take the fight. If he once again forgets his biggest strength, I think Anthony can control the stand up. I’m going to call Kos winning, but don’t quote me.

• hindsightufuk says:

love it

• Screenplaya says:

This helps remedy the disappointment I felt when I found out the biggest jerk in the sport was postponing his eventual devastating KO loss to Shane Carwin.

Hopefully we will get to see another of the sports top pound-for-pound a-holes catch a beating. Go Rumble! But, man, you better damn well make weight. I dont want to have to pull for Koscheck just because you are unprofessional.