Cecil Peoples: ‘I’m sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too’

After what has become one of the most controversial decisions in UFC history, one of the judges sitting ringside provided his take on the Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua fight.

In an interview with CageReport.com, longtime MMA judge and referee, Cecil Peoples gave his insight on his scoring in favor of Lyoto Machida.

“First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn’t effective aggressiveness, which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight – if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds, which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favor the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don’t do that.

“When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua. Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place, which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favor, where as unsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all. Therefore going by that criteria, I believe Lyoto won the fight clearly. I’m just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I’m sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too.”

This is not the first time Peoples has been at the center of a controversial decision, he was one of two judges who scored in favor of Michael Bisping over Matt Hamill at UFC 75. One that many, myself included, believed Hamill won. Peoples, who along with Nelson Hamilton and Marcos Rosales, all scored the Light-heavyweight championship bout, 48-47 in Machida’s direction.

• Vogairian says:

We don’t agree.

• edub says:

Wow just wow. Words almost escape me.

1st thing: Leg kick tko’s in the UFC: Pat Barry over Dan Evenson; Brandon Vera over Mike Patt, and thats just within the last year.

2nd thing: Dont act like you get to se sooo much more from a judges stand point. U know there is Tivo now and we as fans get to pick apart every second of every round. Ive also been to multiple events and had good seats and trust me it is not that different than watching it on tv. Although it is a lot more fun.

3rd: “Lyoto made Shogun come after him’…. you gotta be kidding me with this shit. This sport will not move forward with men like Cecil Peoples, Steve Mazzagati, and Keith Kizer still having a defining impact on the sport.

I guess he didnt “knuckle him up” enough for you douchebag.

• edub says:

There needs to be a checks and balances enforcer for all of mma pertaining to the US. With men still having so much power to pretty much appoint anyone they want( Good ole boy network). This sport will turn into boxing.

• bjjnewb says:

I do..

• greg says:

Cecil Peoples is incompetent, both as a referee & a judge. He also shows the worst kind of stereotyping when he describes his view of MMA fans. He is bad for the sport.

• BigDave says:

Ok, now I have watched this fight several times now(8 to be exact) and with sound on and off and the best I could come up with was Shogun winning 2 rounds Machida winning one round and 2 rounds even but even that is a stretch. There is no way to possibly justify Machida winning this fight and I was backing Machida all the way, I thought he would destroy Rua.

• Badguy says:

LOL @ Cecil!

• bobthebob says:

if there exists a set of a criteria that has allowed Mr People’s to judge this fight a win for Machida – THEN THAT CRITERIA NEEDS TO BE COMPLETELY THROWN OUT COMPLETELY.

i don’t care what kind of technical argument you make for these judges’ decision – it is, in my opinion, ABSOLUTELY the WRONG decision. whatever criteria People’s and the other judges are using needs to be completely re-examined.

i propose that People’s and the other judges provide the public with their scorecards of the fight so that we can
    1) first, evaluate their decision based on their own on criteria and standards;
    but more importantly
    2) determine whether these standards and criteria are hopelessly outdated and/or misrepresentative of the sport of MMA.

i believe that BOTH 1 and 2 are, in fact, the case.

it is time for us to admit that the ad hoc patchwork judging system that the UFC has inherited from a number of other sports no longer serves as an adequate solution.
    the 10 point must system is only the most glaring example of this…
    but more importantly – why is it IN ANY WAY rational to state that “leg kicks certainly do not work toward ending a fight” but that backing up and away from your opponent “determines where the fight took place” and thus is worthy of being awarded points?!?
    furthermore Mr People’s – it seems to me that attempting takedowns is CERTAINLY “working towards ending the fight” whereas defending them – successfully or not – does NOT.
    FURTHERMORE – it seems absolutely ridiculous to assert that Machida should have been awarded more points based on the criteria of damage caused. i don’t have any idea what fight you were watching sir – but from where *i* was sitting it seemed absolutely and unambiguously clear who inflicted more damage upon whom. perhaps sitting ringside DOESN’T give you a proper view of these things – because – after watching the fight tape over several times now – there seems NO DOUBT whatsoever about who inflicted more damage.
    but then we TV viewers had the advantage of having multiple view angles: Birds-eye, Close-ups, Reverse angle shots – all angles that are physically impossible for a ringside viewer.
    But there’s a monitor in the Staples center.
    perhaps Mr People’s should’ve spent a few seconds looking at it.

it seems that we as a community have been handed an opportunity here – NOW is the moment to construct a set of judging criteria based on clear principles that APPLY TO THE SPORT OF MMA, let’s not squander it! as fans, it is our responsibility to advocate for this change – WITH OUR WALLETS if necessary.

my heart goes out to Shogun – in my opinion it is quite possible that Mr People’s and the other judges have done IRREPARABLE harm to Shogun’s career. we can only hope that he is mentally strong enough to take this setback as an opportunity, and that he grows stronger from this adversity.
    i’m not sure i could.
    but that’s a whole ‘nother story…

to return to the point at hand: Mr People’s – do us and the sport a favor and PERMANENTLY RESIGN. your poor judgement has caused too much damage already. just ask Matt Hamill.

• redness says:

What A bunch of BS how did Forest beat Rampage for the belt then.

• AK47 says:

Anybody who says leg kicks are not effective has obviously never had to deal with them before. Put Cecil in a ring with Shogun for 25 minutes using only leg kicks and watch how he scores the fight afterward.

• Xspur says:

So, don’t flame me, this is just one mans’ opinion. While we were watching the fight at home, my buddy, along with Joe Rogan, pointed out every kick thrown and landed by Rua. All the while I was trying to point out the counter punches being landed on Rua while he was throwing those kicks. In my mind it balanced out the points scored to a degree. I honestly had the fight 48-47 Machida, and that’s not just because I had money on him. I’m one of those guys that feel that to be the champion, you have to decisively beat the champ. And honestly, this fight was closer than many people are making it out to be. If Rua had won, although I would have been upset from losing my bets, I would not have argued the decision. But, like I said, I don’t disagree with this decision. Because it was a close fight, one round could have easily gone either way. And champs winning close decisions like that is good for the sport *in my opinion. The best thing about all this is that we get to see an immediate rematch. Kinda sucks for those 205’s that were getting title shot in their heads though eh?

• poulind says:

I agree, Cecil Peoples is incompetent. First Bisping vs. Hamill and now this. I would love to see a comparison of split decision calls where Peoples was the odd man vs the percentages of other judges.

• Kung Foo says:

Leg kicks dont finish a fight?,Dont ask Corey Hill, Paul Varlens, or Michael Patt that too name a few.

• kenonbass says:

Don’t forget he had BJ Penn winning the GSP fight before it was stopped.

• Madmax says:

I’m not a judge or a ref OR a fighter, just a fan. From this fans perspective, RUA clearly won the fight, and surprised is an inadequate word for my reaction. Even my wife felt RUA won the fight and she only watches bout half of the events I do. She wondered how Machida could have won when he was clearly busted up some and RUA was virtually unscathed. I’ll say it like Dana did bout MAZZ, Peoples shouldnt be allowed to WATCH MMA, let alone judge it.

Madmax

• Austin says:

Cecil, dummy, you just set me off.
    THANK YOU.
    THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED TO START MY FUCKING DAY.
    So, the technical fans who have SEEN EVERY ONE OF LYOTO MACHIDA’S FIGHTS, would notice that those leg kicks and ice packs were just for show then. Lyoto not being lightning fast in every round after 2 wasn’t a result of the low kicks, it was the pre-fight bowel movement that slowed him down.
    get the fuck out cecil. Try punching yourself above the knee for about 60 seconds, you don’t even have to do it very hard. Compressing the femoral artery is no joke. It will cause your leg to swell up and you to move around slowly. At which time your opponent can pick you apart.

oh wait,
    that’s what happened.

Please guys, if i keep a round by round scoring record, can i go to judge school?

• Austin says:

K-1 has open scoring, please bring this to MMA.

• Jstew3785 says:

kenonbass: Don’t forget he had BJ Penn winning the GSP fight before it was stopped.

Holy fucking shit! I had no idea about that man. This man has got to be stoppoed

• Jstew3785 says:

Or stopped.

• Rich S. says:

Well, this officially supports my theory that the judges accommodated their scoring to Machida’s style of fighting..

It also pisses me off further..

At NO POINT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, should a judge’s view on a fight or how it should be judged be changed..

The point of having judges is so that we can have three people, totally numb to both of the fighters, with no biases, judge a fight, and pick a winner based on what he did to meet the requirements for winning..

You can’t simply change the way you judge because you know a guy is backing up, or even more ridiculous, getting hit, as a part of his “strategy”..

This is horrible for MMA..

• 27jride says:

Hey Austin

SCHOOL?! These freakin’ idiots PASSED a class to get their job!?! No way, had to be picked off the street… HAD to be!! Right?! You’re kidding about the judge school right?! Please tell me there isn’t a single qualification to become a CSAC MMA judge!!

• Rich S. says:

Also, Cecil Peoples makes Steve Mazzagatti look like an MMA GOD..

• Makington says:

I don’t exactly know if I believe he would have been giving the fight to BJ Penn when he fought GSP the second time. You couldn’t have meant the first one because that fight wasn’t stopped, it went to decision. I would love to see a link because Penn/GSP II was one of the most one sided fights I have ever seen. If Cecil (who I didn’t even knew judged it tbh) gave Penn the fight, we need to start a lynch mob.

• David Andrest says:

Don’t forget he had Matt Hughes winning Penn vs. Hughes 2 before it was stopped

• David Andrest says:

And Bisping over Hammil

• egad81 says:

I also gave 3 rounds to Lyoto….

Fights like these make me appreciate guys that finish fights!

• David Andrest says:

egad81: Man when did 5oz. become so communist that the trolls can vote down a post where someone just puts “i Do”?I also gave 3 rounds to Lyoto….Much like I have 3 rounds to Rampage over Forrest and his crippling leg kicks…. At least this time the champ didnt lose the belt without getting BEAT!Fights like these make me appreciate guys that finish fights!

Actually communist would be STAFF voting you down. That was a very democratic.

LOL , don’t take it personal. We all agree, a good old KO would have solved the whole issue.

• cocoonofhorror says:

” ‘I’m sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too’”

i have forgotten more about MMA than Cecil “dilated” Peoples will ever know, and the decision was utter shit.

• neijia says:

In the minority here, but I also can see this logic. I absolutely did not perceive Rua was controlling the Octagon. Machida backing up was clearly his style of evasion, baiting for counterattacking. We all know that from seeing him before. Rua backing up was clearly due to counterattacking combinations such as punches and knees to the body. That should also be clear to any hardcore fan here. Therefore Machida gets more points for “octagon control”. The one thing Rua did more of that could’ve been scored as more “control” was push Machida to the fence to attempt (stuffed) takedowns, then hold him there to throw some knees. Machida also gets points for aggression such as multiple muay thai knees (didn’t anyone else here expect Rua to throw those more than Machida did?). If you look at muay thai rules, that will be seen as more aggressive and more dominating than the standard and ubiquitous muay thai leg kick. Another point – who “looked worse” is totally irrelevant to scoring in ANY combat sport. Sorry guys, you may launch all manner of ad hominem attack at poor Cecil, but these points above just seem really clear once you factor out all your emotions about it.

However, I totally agree the larger issue of scoring transparency really needs to be addressed. If we all knew the scoring criteria, it’d be a lot easier to agree/disagree. I agree Bisping v Hamill was flat out wrong but what can you do until the rules and scoring are a lot more clear?

• edub says:

neijia: I absolutely did not perceive Rua was controlling the Octagon. Machida backing up was clearly his style of evasion, baiting for counterattacking. We all know that from seeing him before. Rua backing up was clearly due to counterattacking combinations such as punches and knees to the body. That should also be clear to any hardcore fan here.

U r really seeing what u want to see here Neijia. If Shogun is happily playing into Machida’s “style” of backing up/countering, and he is winning more of the exchanges, forcing Machida into the fence, kneeing machida in the thighs, while flat out landing more strikes than he definately deserves to win octagon control.

• neijia says:

• neijia says:

The main point on which we disagree when you boil it down is probably — how much should pushing and holding someone against the fence and throwing some knees count? If it counts a lot, then I am not giving enough points to Rua. If it shouldn’t count for much, I think I am giving him about the right amount.

As an aside if it does count for a lot, that encourages rather boring fights, but oh well.

• neijia says:

also, how much does takedown defense count vs. pushing against fence and throwing some knees?

• neijia says:

• darinp2 says:

While I’m not in favor of the logic discounting leg kicks I think any fighters who have Cecil Peoples judging their fights should keep that in mind. I wonder how many fighters will even be aware of his position about leg kicks while he is judging their fights. Seems like the smart camps should research the judges as well as the other fighter.

• edub says:

neijia: Ok look. Let’s say 4 and 5 are won by Shogun. So the only relevant rounds are 1, 2, and 3. Go and watch rds 1, 2, and 3 again. Very, very low action, but here is what happens:Rd 1: Machida has a good flurry, landing shots. Rua tries a lot of leg kicks, most of which are evaded, deflected, or countered with shots. Machida knocks Rua’s balance.Rd 2: Whole lot of nothing. Rua same as above. Machida knocks Rua’s balance. Rua’s takedowns stuffed. Give him some credit for holding against fence but this rd is pretty even. This is the only round I’d say could swing things to Rua. I still score it to Machida.Rd 3: Whole lot of nothing. Machida has two good flurries in the last minute or so.If you agree with me on rd 1 and 3 but disagree with me about Round two, we have some basis for argument. Then let’s say 1 and 3 clearly go to Machida and 4 and 5 to Rua. So let’s argue about round two…. how about that?

I ve watched it three times already man. Once the night of the fight. The next 2 the day after with minimal sound. My opinion was changed about the range of the score cards the day after, but definately not the winner. My final card was 10-10 rds 1 and 2 ,10-9 Machida round 3( in a very close competitive round), and 10-9 Rua in rds 4 and 5.
    My problem isn’t as much with the score as with how the experts are trying to justify it. In each round your leaving out the body kicks that probably did the most damage in the fight. If your gonna count Machida’s few thai knees to the body you definately half to count the damaging kicks to the body. When did Machida ever knock Rua off balance. Are you talking about when he tried to do his usual sweeps and Rua pretty much just moved his leg?
    In closing its ok that we agree to disagree but just be ready to prove those points a little better for rounds 1-3. If it was someone else on here disagreeing with you I guarantee theyre gonna bring up about a 10 or more valid points on why Machida should have lost both rounds 1 and 2 let alone the rest of the fight.

• edub says:

neijia: Rd 2: Machida stuffs takedowns at 2:55 and 1:26. Knocks Rua off balance twice, once with a punch flurry (aggression) and once with beginnings of a throw, lands a good knee to the body. End of rd 2, Rua pins Machida against fence and scores some knee. Machida throws a knee and some kicks to the shin. That’s almost all of the action. If you say the pin and knees in clinch is worth more than two takedown stuffs, one knee to body and a few strikes in clinch … well I just don’t agree. I think that clinch work at the end is not enough to swing rd 2 over. But at least I would follow your logic.

• Makington says:

• neijia says:

edub:
    The thing here is I think if you stuff the takedown all the way then you free yourself from the clinch in the process. Machida doesnt wanna be in the clinch getting kneed in the thigh therefore Rua is controlling the action.I can definately see where your coming from with this though. You type a lot faster than me.

ok in that case I can see why we disagree. ideally takedown stuff should result in exit of grappling range. but that’s not always possible. in rd 2, i don’t see Rua land a body kick. I may have to watch it again.

edub: When did Machida ever knock Rua off balance. Are you talking about when he tried to do his usual sweeps and Rua pretty much just moved his leg?

at 2:55 and 1:26. no, Rua did not just move his leg. my main art (just a hobbyist) is judo, so I tend to look for when someone loses his balance due to the other fighter. however, i’m not even sure mma scores that (if not it should) — another point where I’d give “octagon control” but not everyone would. for example when arlovski pushed fedor with his kick against the ropes that is ring control and a kick landing.

i think this still comes down to attempted kicks and push against fence to throw knees vs combos/flurries, takedown defenses, and evaded/blocked/countered kicks. I just see the latter being worth more … UNLESS there is a compelling event that overcomes them. if we say pushing against fence is worth a lot, clearly couture was winning rd 1 against lesnar. it only doesn’t matter because of the tko.

so i see where everyone is coming from but saying people is an idiot is not a valid argument. there are 2 other judges for a reason. also, i totally agree bout bisping vs. hamill but, meh. what can you do.

only great way to settle this is rematch. everyone is right that machida would then have a better plan for low kicks … but shogun would have another great plan for that…

• neijia says:

Makington: I still don’t see how Machida backing up constitutes octagon control. I’ve said it a million times on here, I love his style. I could honestly watch Machida fight all day, but I don’t think he should ever get points for backing up that way. He makes up for it every other fight because he punishes fighters brutally while backing away. However in this fight, when he didn’t punish Rua, he shouldn’t get any points at all.By Cecil People’s logic, Kalib Starnes should have beat Nate Quarry because he backed up for 3 rounds entirely, making Nate chase him down for all of them. For the record, that fight is the only fight I’ve seen scored 30-24, and it was for Quarry. I guess Cecil would have scored it 30-12 for Kalib, because Kalib was making Nate run all over the place trying to get to him.

c’mon that is a little ridiculous. machida always backs up then counterattacks. we’ve seen that in all his bouts. to compare machida to starnes is to compare Fedor, to, say, old man keith jardine.

• neijia says:

> However in this fight, when he didn’t punish Rua, he shouldn’t get any points at all.

that’d be easy — if there is a TKO as a punishment, then we can say “backing up” worked. the big problem is when there is no TKO or sub. you have to award some amount of points. so do you award more points for more leg kicks or for evasions/counters? do you reward attackers more than counterattackers if there is no TKO/sub? To your point, I can see where you would reward attackers more (so it is harder to be a good counterattacker unless you can give out the “punishment” clearly) since taking the initiative should be rewarded.

• Makington says:

Well, yeah I was obviously being extra critical to compare it to him but Machida honestly didn’t do much damage to Shogun while he was backing up. He clearly took more damage as demonstrated by his face, which should work in Shogun’s favour. I just believe that the aggressor who takes initiative by attacking should be awarded points for it. He might lose the few points he just won if he gets countered completely, like what Machida usually does to people, but he really wasn’t countered all that much.

If you’re backing up and not attacking, why should you get points for that? You should get points once you hit him with a clean counter but until then I think the other guy should be getting the points.

• neijia says:

Machida had some clean counters. Even Rogan commented on them. It’s not as black and white as Fighter A chases, Fighter B evades, but if you get more points for initiating, I am perhaps not giving Rua enough points. I’m still not convinced he wins rd 2, though. Backing up to evade a kick is a defense. You either back up or you close in to not eat the highest velocity portion of the kicking weapon. Machida clearly chooses back up more often but he did choose to counterattack and close in. So I somewhat disagree with the popular interpretation here. However, I totally agree that when Machida was backing Rua up, he should have KEPT GOING. At least Rua did push all the way to the fence. I agree with that point.

• neijia says:

also, exactly how are leg kicks scored in either muay thai or mma? also interested in what you make of this comment (other internets) on unweighting the leg as a defense to kicking. keeping your leg weighted does hurt a lot more. but as a judge, would you consider that factor? why or why not?

I’m just re-watching Machida-Shogun and one issue I’d noticed before, but am now confirming is that Machida is using the unweighting method of countering Shogun’s leg kicks. It’s pretty common to do this with inside leg kicks, since it can be difficult to turn your hip in and check with the shin (though the inside shin check is done by some traditional muay thai fighters contra Rogan’s opinion).

Regardless, many but not all of Shogun’s leg kicks landed on unweighted legs. This still does some damage, but not nearly as much as if you have all your weight on it. This should be considered in the scoring and people’s reactions. Watch it again and ask yourself how many of those kicks landed clearly on a weighted leg. Also, some of Shogun’s kicks are responded to by Machida’s countering trip attempts (which interestingly never succeeded with Shogun). Should eating a kick in order to counter, count as much as just taking a kick without a counter?

*The first Shogun leg kick that lands cleanly on a fully weighted leg is at about the 2:10 mark of Round 3. Shogun does some damage to the legs earlier with his knees to Machida’s thighs – but most of the leg kicks up to this point did not land solidly IMO.

• sigmund says:

I’m on the bandwagon with this one I definatly think this was robbery i watched the fight several times and rua should have won it. This website is usually pretty accurate for decisions and fight statistics and it has rua winning by their scoring. Outstriking machida 82-42

• TerribleT says:

Peoples you must’a done a giant blast of heroin right B4 the fight & nodded off while u were supposed to be keepin’ score ! You & the other 2 judges should’ve been drug tested & banned from judging anymore MMA fights!!!! :-(

• mu_shin says:

There were three judges there that night, and they all saw it the same way… Conspiracy or some version of consensus reality?

• cynical323 says:

Peoples did it again…. Just seen TUF and he scored Matt Matrione over Scott Junk??? That should have gone to the 3rd round. Someone should keep an eye on this guy and check if he’s placing bets in Vegas… The sad thing is that I met this guy at a Muay Thai Smoker and I thought he was a really cool guy… Now I think he should be banned from judging….