What to do with UFC 106? TITO ORTIZ to the rescue?

With the news breaking that Brock Lesnar pulling out of his scheduled November 21st title defense against Shane Carwin, the question remains , Now What?

I find it to be very unlikely that Carwin would take a fight with a “late” replacement. Title shots are not handed out like free tickets to UFC 104, and I doubt Carwin’s management team are going to be willing to take any chances.

What fight can the UFC set up as a replacement for Carwin vs. Lesnar, that will also be bigger than Tito Ortiz’s return to the Octagon? Save yourself the headache there isn’t one, so it’s time to find a co-main event.

The UFC could try and pull something from the December 12th card. A card that has a title fight with Penn vs. Sanchez and then a list of notable fights.

Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida

For my money, I’d take Guida vs. Florian if the choice was mine.

The UFC could also just move Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah to the main card, and still have a nice amount of “Free on Spike” fights to chose from.

In reality it appears with less than a month to go, the UFC may need to rely on Ortiz one last time to sell a main event. Given the chance, Ortiz will certainly be able to whip his fans into a frenzy and the mainstream to some extent. Armed with a video camera, a microphone and a “Run Forrest Run” T-shirt, vintage Ortiz can sell a Pay Per View.  I’m sure he can push the great comeback angle, enough so that the event will not be an epic failure. The truth is Forrest Griffen vs. Tito Ortiz is a fight with two of the UFC’s biggest names, both with appeal to the casual fan.

The last option is a bit of a realistic long shot. The UFC makes a co-main event out of two fighters with big enough star power to pull it off, that are both willing to take a fight on one months notice.

Tell me 5oz’s readers, who available, uninjured,  that is not commited to a fight already? Who would YOU mach up?

• Matthew says:

cain vs nog is what i’d like to see. Cain would fight, i have my doubts about Nog though.

Run with the success cain had in 104. They will not be disappointed.

• thunder okami says:

Machida vs. Shogun 2 would make everyone happy

• David Andrest says:

Machida and Shogun will have to serve medical suspensions. ( Machida was cut , guaranteed 30 days)

Not gonna happen

• Vogairian says:

I’d say move Florian – Guida to the card and see if Matt Hughes and someone are willing to take a fight on short notice.

• mburtoni says:

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson on the main card, either co-main event or co-co-main event behind lil Nog/Cane.

• 27jride says:

umn hh

• 27jride says:

Sorry, my daughter wrote that last thing (she’s 1). I like Guida/ Florian but I don’t think that’s co main event material.

• John Callaghan says:

I’d like to see Dana get his ass beat by Cyborg Santos. Now that’s a main event I’d pay to see. And if he cries I’ll buy a t-shirt.

• egad81 says:

The real question is why is Brock pulling out?

Tito vs Forrest is NO HEADLINER

• Jstew3785 says:

Carwin vs Dos Santos

• fanoftna33 says:

Hughes vs Swick……

• fanoftna33 says:

I know Swick has a fight lined up but put Daley ve Hardy as both are still kind of new to the ufc and have Hughes vs Swick now, as both have been around and in Hughes case fought on short notice to help a card before, and Swick can prove he wants to fight soon like he stated when he was injured before his last fight.

• nicol467 says:

Nate “the great” marquadt vs Anthony “rumble” Johnson at catchweight – winner gets a shot at their weight class.

• elkymbo says:

Rashad vs Vitor belfort for top contender for the lhw title would be awesome.

• VINJE76 says:

egad81: The real question is why is Brock pulling out?Tito vs Forrest is NO HEADLINER

SWINE FLU or H1N1 is what he has. That’s what i heard but i can’t say if its true but it makes sense because that is going around in Minnesota.

• edub says:

Tito vs. forrest is a quality headliner. Move Luiz Cane vs. Lil Nog to the Co-main event. Shouldnt be that hard to market. Luiz Cane has had a lot of good UFC wins. Lil Nog is Big Nogs twin and could rely heavily( marketing wise) on having one of the greatest fights ever with Shogun who just gave Machida his hardest fight( a fight he should have won).

• mburtoni says:

Um, koscheck vs. Rumble as co-co main event anyone?

• Makington says:

Hmmm, I like the way you put it edub. If they focus on the war he and Shogun had, and how he was one of the only 2 humans to knock him down it could sell pretty good. Also the fact that his last name is Nogueira is like a stamp of approval. I would otherwise love to see Florian/Guida come a month earlier. I think that fight could definitely be co-main event material. Both fighters have had quite a bit of time in the spotlight and have both headlined events before. Wouldn’t be much of a stretch to put them as the co-main event in my mind.

• valzcer says:

Florian/Guida

• valzcer says:

if cane is healthy , Carwin vs Cane for the interim championship

• matt says:

Matt Hughes has no fight lined up and he is a big name and decent draw. Josh Koscheck is a top welterweight and always willing to fight. How about a:

Matt Hughes vs. Josh Koscheck?
    Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra 2?

Maybe a Chuck Liddell return:

Chuck Liddell vs. Stephan Bonnar?
    Chuck Liddell vs. Matyusshenko (probably produce one last trademark KO for the Iceman)?

• fraz says:

Christ. I can see it now…

Kimbo vs. Heath Herring

Ugggh…

• xtreme_machine says:

big Nog vs caiwin

Dos Santos vs Cain velasquez

Gonzaga vs Todd dufee

• xtreme_machine says:

I know all those guys have fights lined up but like the ufc has done in the past they could just change them

plus like this we will find out who the real HW contender is

• Makington says:

Heath Herring has quit fighting for a while. He is focusing on his acting career which is, in his words, “really starting to take off” All those cliche Hector Echavvaria movies starring Hector Echavvaria have really A-listed him apparently.

• BigDave says:

Feed carwin to Cain he will prove that he was the real one to get a title shot not Carwin.

• crf says:

Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley… Both usually stay in shape between fights and could pose for a great match up.

• BillyWarhol says:

FEDOR

• jding3 says:

I’m curious to see what they are going to do about this. To me it doesn’t make too much sense to make the main event with two guys who are coming off losses, i don’t care who they are I just don’t think that should happen.

• melletuscrake says:

Something caught my eye the other day when I watched 104 here in Korea.

SuperAction, the cable station that carries UFC events here, likes to advertise upcoming events with a quick graphical run-down of the top fights on upcoming events, showing a quick photo of the fighters who are paired up (e.g. a pick of Penn and Sanchez for their upcoming bout).

One of these spots aired during commercials, and it had what really looked like Kimbo Slice and Houston Alexander, seemingly attached to 106.

Granted, I don’t speak Korean so I couldn’t tell what was being implied, and I wouldn’t consider the guys at SuperAction to be UFC experts or insiders or anything, but it caught my interest. They’ve certainly been wrong before and I’ve seen incorrect pictures attributed to fighters, so take this with a heap of salt.

Still, thought I’d mention it.

• melletuscrake says:

Make that ‘pic’, not ‘pick.’ End of a long workday for me here.

• shotokai_ says:

“Stepping up into the main event slot will be the highly-anticipated rematch between former light heavyweight champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin.”

Taken straight from ufc.com. That’s a capable headliner anyway in my opinion. Tito is a hype machine.

• moosebaby02 says: