Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann set for UFC 106

Paulo Thiago is all set to face off with UFC newcomer Jacob Volkmann at UFC 106.

Thiago’s manager Wallid Ismail recently revealed the news of the bout to Terra Magazine, and FiveOuncesofPain.com has subsequently confirmed the bout through sources close to the match-up.

Thiago will be looking to [place himself back into the winners circle following a unanimous decision loss at the hands of Jon Fitch during UFC 100. Just prior to the loss Paulo shocked many when he left Octagon veteran Josh Koscheck in a daze via TKO in the Brazilian’s UFC debut.

Volkmann trains out of Minnesota Martial Arts Academy and sports a career record of 9-0. Known for his strong wrestling base and tenacious fighting style, Volkmann’s last trip to the cage saw him secure a first round submission over Kevin Knabjian during a Bellator event in May.

A full list of the bouts expected for UFC 106 are listed below:

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin

Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett

Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni

Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis

Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt

George Sotiropoulos vs. Jason Dent

Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson

Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann

• Makington says:

Luiz Cane and Rogerio in the prelims?!?!?!?!?

• David Andrest says:

Makington: Luiz Cane and Rogerio in the prelims?!?!?!?!?NOOOOOOOOOOO, that better not be set in stone yet. That’s the fight I’m most excited for by far.

Perhaps free on Spike?

• Has Lil Nog/Cane even been officiall announced yet?

No way it doesn’t end up on the main card. If they are gonna give away two prelims on Spike again, it’ll be Sadollah/Baroni for sure and either Saunders/Davis or Grove/Rosholt.

I’m stoked about Thiago not having to fight Alves, though. Poor kid would have been fed three Top 5 WWs in his first three UFC fights…

• edub says:

David Or Cory(or pretty much anyone). Do you think there is any advantage from a fighters stand point to be on the prelim fight show before the ppv instead of being the 3rd or 4th fight on the maincard. I say this because with tito and forrest being on the card now they are obviously not gonna be the co-main event. The fights after the two top billers rarely get any hype even being on the maincard. With these past ufc’s u saw commercials on spike just hyping the Bader and Barry fights.
    So I ask is it better to be in the prelims in this particular situation?

• dpk says:

I just saw on Yahoo that Lesnar pulled out of 106 due to illness. I hope they make Nog v Carwin to fill in.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully Paulo can get a win here. He has shown himself to be a very good addition to the ww division, maybe put the winner of Thiago vs Volkmann against the winner of Karo vs Hazlett.

• Makington says:

I agree edub, it actually worked a lot of hype for those guys. Whereas Tibau/Neer got next to no attention outside of the fight itself. But Cane/Nogueira is still extremely marketable I think, and more than deserving of the main card. I mean, his last name is Nogueira, easy as pie. They look and fight so much alike that people would believe that it’s Minotauro out there.

Especially with Brock pulling out, there wouldn’t be a better time to go to the prelims again. They just lost out on the UFC’s biggest draw, and they’re going to need every view they can get. I say Davis/Saunders and Sadollah/Baroni on Spike, like someone suggested above me.