Dana White: Anthony Johnson ‘would have won’ knockout bonus at UFC 104 if he made weight

Anthony JohnsonWhile it remains to be seen as to how large of a chunk from Anthony Johnson‘s UFC 104 salary will be docked for his inability to make weight for the event, “Rumble” is already beginning to feel the financial burden from the foul.

In his scheduled welterweight bout with Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Johnson was basically carried to the scale due to the dehydration he suffered while attempting to make the weight, only to weigh in a full six pounds over the contracted weight agreement of 170 pounds.

Anyone familiar with drastic cuts in water weight will tell you that the more drastic the cut, the faster you’re body will pack back on the weight. Johnson likely stepped into the Octagon near 200 pounds against an opponent he outweighed by at least twenty pounds. It was painfully obvious when watching the two engage that the size differential was a massive one.

It resembled what a bout between Anderson Silva and Shinya Aoki would look like.

When asked why Johnson’s knockout over Yoshida was not selected for the $60,000 knockout bonus that ended up going to Pat Barry, UFC President Dana White put it like this, “He should have. He should have won it. But because he didn’t make weight, he wasn’t eligible for it. But he would have won.”

It almost seems as if Yoshida should be honored with the knockout bonus for offering himself as a sacrificial lamb in the David and Goliath match that just had to go on.

Either way, kudos to the Octagon brass for doing the right thing in not rewarding a fighter for not honoring his side of the fight agreement.

• fanoftna33 says:

Unless he was injured(like Alves was when he fought Hughes)There is no reason a pro fighter should miss weight by this much. I am glad the ufc didnt give him a bonus, but tha article makes a good point, Yoshida should get some type of bonus besides the 20% cut of AJ winnings just for still taking this fight. I dont get why a guy 6″2 and around 200 lbs is cutting that much weight to stay at WW, is he scared to move up to MW?

• Vogairian says:

I almost think the UFC should step in and strongly “suggest” that Rumble move up to MW.

• He has missed weight twice.

He’s made weight for 5 UFC bouts so let’s calm down the “make him go to MW” talk, shall we? It’s not ilke he got busted for diuretics and then came in overweight for the main event 18 months later, right?

• MMApride19 says:

I honestly was scared for Yoshida when the fight started lol. Rumble looked quite literally twice the size of him. It was so obvious when the fight started that Rumble was going to KO him.. and quickly… I was hoping Yoshida could get the takedown before anything drastic happened… but then.. nope, he just got caught. And i wasnt surprised. I felt sorry for Yoshida though lol. I bet he rarely has to square off against someone so big and strong.

• waitetr says:

The UFC needs to be consistent. If Alves received the bonus and then a title shot after coming in over weight why not award FOTN to AJ? It doesn’t make sense…injury or not Alves didn’t make weight and didn’t deserve it based on that just like AJ.

• G-DUB says:

Dana finally got this right. I was perplexed when they awarded Thiago Alves KO of the Night honors against Hughes back at UFC 85, after he also came in many pounds over the welterweight limit. This sends out the right message to the rest of the UFC’s fighters.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

I met AJ at this year’s Mr. olympia. Super nice guy, seemed very humble, but I was shocked… I’m 5’10 and a lean 200lbs… He absolutley dwarfed me. even aside from the heigth differential, he was massive. I think, simply because of the way he is built, he poses certain problems for anyone that will step in the ring with him. I don’t condone him missing weight, but it happens. Now, should it happen again, I could agree with Vogarian. I felt he handled it well, though. He took responsability for his actions, apologized, and said it wouldn’t happen again. You figure he’s in line for a shot after Swick?

• Vogairian says:

Sergio Hernandez: He has missed weight twice.Once was for a fight that was announced a week before the event and also this past Friday.He’s made weight for 5 UFC bouts so let’s calm down the “make him go to MW” talk, shall we?It’s not ilke he got busted for diuretics and then came in overweight for the main event 18 months later, right?

• BigDave says:

I read somewhere that AJ walks around at 215-220lbs. That is crazy for him to cut 45-50 pounds to make 170. I would like to see him go too 185 where he would still be one of if not the biggest guy in the division and on top of that it would add new blood to a weaker division IMO.

• Vogairian: I don’t see why we should calm the talk down, he’s a professional fighter and should be held to a certain standard. Missing weight 2 out of 7 fights is pretty bad, especially when you miss it by 6 pounds. If he’s going to do it eventually anyway (his words, not mine), why not save his body the beating and make the move now?

Yes, he is a pro fighter but so are Josh Neer, Gleison Tibau, Jeremy Stephens, Thiago Alves, Paulo Filho, Mike Pyle, Hermes Franca, etc.

Fighters miss weight. It sucks but it happens. This is the first time Johnson has missed weight in two years and only the second time ever.

And he’s done nothing but talk about how he’s staying at 170 since Saturday… a quick search pulled up zilch about Johnson talking about going up to MW.

• Makington says:

Got to agree with Sergio with this one. He already took quite the hefty punishment, and he has completely accepted responsibility for it. You can’t really blame him on the Clementi fight because he had almost no time to make a proper cut, and he was stepping up as a favour to the UFC. It’s not professional at all, but it happens in a sport like this. Cutting weight is not an exact science at all. Sometimes you’re in the sauna and you can see the pounds melting off your body, and sometimes it just feels like the weight isn’t coming off and you have to put your body through hell.

You can tell he busted his ass off trying to make weight, and he knows how crucial it is for him not miss it again, so I say put him in the ring again at WW sometime soon, and let the good times roll.

• edub says:

• edub: Anthony Johnson is continuing to grow. Even for a 25 yr old he keeps getting bigger. Well see in his next weight cut if the knee injury really was the biggest problem. I really dont think u can compare this misread to other fighters missing weight by 1 or 2 lbs. The guy missed weight by 6 friggin lbs.I think if he moved up and maybe put on a little more muscle he could be even better at 185.

Alves missed it by 4 and blamed it on a knee injury as well. Yet, no one was clamoring for Alves to move up to 185. Dude was even popped for diuretics but all we ever hear is “Alves is a HUGE 170.”

You’re right, though, we need to see his next weight cut to really be sure but until then, all the “Johnson MUST go up to MW” talk should be canned. If he thinks we can make 170, then let him make 170. Obviously, last weekend was the last straw and another missed weight will close the casket on his welterweight career.

Either way…. WAR RUMBLE!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

Like I said in my first post unlees AJ was injured, to witch I read he had a knee injury going into this training camp and was unable to cut weight properly. I think when a injury is the cause although not great, missing weight by only 5 lbs isnt as big a deal as we were making it out to be.

• Vogairian says:

Sergio Hernandez:
    Alves missed it by 4 and blamed it on a knee injury as well.Yet, no one was clamoring for Alves to move up to 185.Dude was even popped for diuretics but all we ever hear is “Alves is a HUGE 170.”You’re right, though, we need to see his next weight cut to really be sure but until then, all the “Johnson MUST go up to MW” talk should be canned.If he thinks we can make 170, then let him make 170.Obviously, last weekend was the last straw and another missed weight will close the casket on his welterweight career.Either way…. WAR RUMBLE!!!

I think anyone who comes in overwieght by a large summon should heavily consider moving weight classes, not just Rumble. Also to quote from another site who I won’t mention…

Have you given any thought to jumping up to middleweight?

Anthony Johnson: I will eventually. Right now, I like 170. There’s nothing you can really do about it except try to cut. You know, I haven’t missed weight in two years. I always try my best, and when I don’t succeed, it irritates me and I get bummed out. It pisses me off, it pisses off the UFC and it pisses off my fans. It makes everybody mad, you know?

• s13 says:

Anthony Johnson vs Koscheck @ ufc 106…make it happen. If Rumble wins that he should fight the winner of Fitch/Alves and if he wins that, its time for GSP next summer. :)

• 27jride says:

He should fight at MW but if he can make the cut then that’s his body and decision to make; If he misses again I think it would be reasonable to force him to MW but as of now there’s no cause for the UFC to step in.