Pat Barry Nets Six-Figure Bonus for UFC 104 Performance

Though the main card fighters may have initially earned higher salaries entering Saturday night’s events it was the undercard’s participants who laid claim to all three UFC “…of the Night” bonuses.

Reigning supreme amongst the evening’s bonus winners was the affable Pat Barry, who overcame an early eye-poke to bring his professional MMA record to 5-1 with a hard-fought second round TKO victory over fellow kickboxer Antoni Hardonk. Barry earned an additional $120,000 on top of his previously scheduled purse for winning both “Fight of the Night” and “Knockout of the Night” honors. Hardonk was also awarded $60,000 for his participation in the bout.

“Submission of the Night”, and the sixty thousand dollar reward attached to the distinction, went to 6’11 Stefan Struve. Struve weathered an early attack from opponent Chase Gormley to lock in a Triangle Choke for the first round win.

• Makington says:

• David Andrest says:

Missing weight is the nice way to put it. Belonging in a different weight class is closer to reality

• MMApride19 says:

Makington: I guess I would have given Anthony Johnson KOotN, since it was the only real clean KO, but that might be a bit of payback for missing weight. Obviously Stefan gets the SotN. As for FotN, I really think it could have gone to a few different fights, as well as this one. I wouldn’t have argued if it went to Sonnen/Okami, or Bader/Schafer.

• MMApride19 says:

I just liked the way, at the end of the fight, it looked like Barry was just toying with Hardonk. His punches were frighteningly quick for a HW. I mean his speed is amazing. I know the KO wasnt as clean as Rumble, however it was more devastating. I knew Rumble would KO Yoshida like that, and plus he came in too overweight. Knocked down 4 times i think? Before he finished it?… well something like that lol. But it was still an awesome fight, as i had predicted it would be.

• Makington says:

That’s what I was telling all the people with me. They were saying how small Pat was, and I was just like, “Oh, just wait. You’ve never seen a HW who can strike as quick, hard, and accurate as this guy.” I actually just found out that missing weight makes you ineligible for the bonuses. Dana said Anthony should have won KOotN, but he didn’t because he missed weight. Anthony has gone on aswell saying he will continue at WW, which might prove to be troublesome for him. If he even misses weight by a little, let alone almost making MW, that should be his last straw as a WW.

• bbond30 says:

Dana White said that Johnson would have won KO of the night if he made weight. Hold on a minute…Thiago Alvez was awarded KO of the night and a TITLE SHOT after defeating Matt Hughes and he was more over the weight limit than Johnson! Somebody explain that one!

• Makington says:

Alves came in at 174 if memory serves for me. Still somewhat bad, but you’re right, he did end up winning the KOotN. Obviously the shitle tot was because it was Matt Hughes that he dismantled. I don’t know how short notice the fight was but I don’t think he took as much time as he should have, and he talked a lot about an ankle sprain afterwards. That was the UFC where injuries were absolutely everywhere, and the main event was changed a couple times, and ended up happening on pretty short notice.

I don’t really get the logic to be honest, other than Dana being a little biased to his fighters and looking lighter on Thiago because he was beating a shoe in for hall of famer.

• edub says:

Thiago also fought Koscheck after the Hughes fight.

Pat Barry is sick quick. Anyone else notice him singing to himself when he came out for the 2nd rd. I thought it was weird until he started toying with Hardonk. Id like to see Barry vs. Dos Antos or Kongo somewhere down the road.

• Makington says:

Pat Berry vs Cheick Kongo would be a friggin great fight. I didn’t notice him singing, he was seriously doing that?

If I had to hazard a guess, he was probably singing barbie girl.

• Rich S. says:

Berry was quick, but Hardonk was unusually slow also.. He burnt himself out in the first round without actually even doing that much damage…

If Hardonk wants to get anywhere in this division, he needs to be calm, take it slow, work his leg and body shots, and then move to the head.. He would definitely start finishing people again..

Props to Berry..

How about Struve/Berry?
    Haha I’m just kidding.. That would be downright MEAN.

• Makington says:

It would also be pretty hilarious. Just seeing them stand beside eachother would make it look like Barry is a LW.