Trading Punches: UFC 104 Main Card Preview & Predictions

FiveOuncesofPain.com is back to break down the main card of UFC 104 via verbally sparring session between 5 Oz. managing editor Cory Brady and fellow loyal 5 Oz’er David Andrest.

UFC 104 is set to go down this Saturday evening from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California..

Set to feature a headlining light heavyweight title fight between champion Lyoto Machida and challenger Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, also set for action will be Cain Velasquez, Josh Neer, Spencer Fisher, Joe Stevenson, Anthony Johnson and others.

As always feel free to agree or disagree with either of us in the comments section below, and please post your very own set of picks so they can either be voted up or down by the people: You guys.

Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua

Cory Brady: While logic may tell me one thing in this match-up, my gut tells me another.

Lyoto is the least hit fighter in the history of the UFC, and very well may be the most difficult riddle to solve in mixed martial arts, but in my estimation he is ripe for a loss. Not just to anyone, but to the most complete mixed martial artist he has faced to date. Definitely the most complete fighter he has faced of the same size.

You’re not going to beat Machida with one facet of the game. We’ve seen what happens when Lyoto’s opponents employ a one dimensional approach, such as relying on standing up or trying to drag “The Dragon” to the ground, and it’s not pretty. The only way to beat a fighter as tactical as Machida is to be well rounded and dangerous enough in all areas to constantly keep him guessing.

Shogun is that guy. The combination of a slick submission arsenal, underestimated takedowns, and a punishing stand up and clinch game make Mauricio much more of a threat than his is commonly given credit for.

If Machida wins this fight I feel like it will most likely be by decision. Shogun has never been knocked out and he has been punched in the face by some of the best of them. The odds of Lyoto pulling off a submission on Rua are also just as unlikely.

I expect the best Shogun we’ve ever seen to show up at UFC 104, and in my own personal opinion, when the best Shogun shows up to fight, nobody can beat him at 205 pounds. Mauricio is one of the most naturally gifted fighters that has ever stepped foot into the sport, the time is now for him to finally recognize his full potential.

Winner: Mauricio “Shogun” Rua via TKO

David Andrest: I have little to add to that masterpeice Cory, however the only thing I can say is YOU ARE WRONG.  It pains me to type it, as I am a big fan of  Rua and the memory of his aggressive style, and great finishing percentage.  Machida wins this fight, he is at the top of his game, and I can not pick against him with a straight face.   Answer this for me, when is the last time you saw Machida in trouble?  ………..don’t worry I’ll wait.

Winner:  Machida UD

Cain Velasquez vs. Ben Rothwell

Velasquez is a far cry from the poor fat kid that Big Ben put a merciless beatdown on early in is career.

Rothwell has never beaten anyone that tells me he can handle a fighter such as Cain Velasquez. On the other side of that coin, I feel like Velasquez has in Cheick Kongo, a stand-up fighter much like Andrei Arlovski, only with a better chin.

Velasquez has been active and successful against top notch competition while Rothwell hasn’t. This is going to be one of the deciding factors in this bout. There’s no known cure for ring rust, and I expect for Big Ben to have a bad case coming off of a win over Chris Guillen nearly a year ago.

I expect for this fight to be a carbon copy of the Velasquez vs. Kongo bout, without Cain being rocked.

Winner: Cain Velasquez via unanimous decision

David Andrest: You know what the difference between Cain and the poor fat kid that Big Ben put a merciless beatdown on early in is career?  The kid had more power behind his punches.  I am painfully aware of the Velasquez hype train that rolls past my window every 5 minutes as this event draws closer.  Hype based on what?  Potential?  A win over Kongo?   you have got to be kidding me.  I’m not saying Velasquez isn’t talented, and a great wrestler, and a blue chip prospect with a ton of upside.  I think people are overlooking Rothwell a bit, as well as over hyping Velasquez buy a tremdous amount.   I’ve seen it everywhere, you can’t surf the MMA internet and not see someone crowing Velasquez the next challenger.   Rothwell is the toughest, and most experienced guy Velasquez has ever fought.  I’ve seen Rothwell KO  people, submit people and finish fights.  Other people seem to forget that.   I’m not prepared to purchase my ticket aboard the Cain Velasquez hype train at this time.

Winner: Rothwell  TKO

Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau

I’m a huge fan of Josh Neer’s because the guy brings it every single time, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that seeing two guys coming off of losses on the main card didn’t seem a little bit odd. This bout makes more sense on a Fight Night card, or the undercard, but either way it should be exciting. Neer usually guarantees that.

These lightweights are just getting so good and well rounded that it’s hard for me to see this one going any other way than the distance. This should be a hard fought battle with transitions and exchanges a’plenty. In the end I see The Dentist’s grit and durability being the deciding factor in what should be a 155 pound scrap to remember.

Winner: Josh Neer via decision

David Andrest: “grit”  That is a perfect word to describe Josh Neer.  Entertaining every single time. This fight should be exciting while it lasts with an equal part stand up, ground work and scrambles.  I like Tibau as a fighter, but I think Neer is going to preform and on air extraction and end this fight.

Winner: Josh Neer  TKO

Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson

The winner of this bout could very well be just a fight or two away from a title shot. Fisher is coming off of three wins over the likes of Jeremy Stephens, Shannon Gugerty and Caol Uno, while Joe Daddy is fresh off of his impressive decision victory over Nate Diaz on June 20. Either way you slice it, one fighter moves on and the other is suspended in motion.

This fight has a ton of potential to end up as the “Fight of the Night”. Both guys are well rounded in all areas, with a slight advantage going to Fisher on the feet and a minor edge going to Stevenson on the ground.

I don’t think Stevenson is going to have as huge a wrestling advantage over Fisher as he had over Diaz recently. I’d go as far as to say that I expect Fisher to be capable enough to keep the fight on the feet for the most part.

If you’re a betting man, stay away from this one, it’s either man’s fight.

Winner: Spencer Fisher via decision

David Andrest: Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Daddy I’m really looking foward to this fight. My vote would be to send the loser to Japan to smash Aoki, but I digress.  This is a classic fight that should be very entertaining, but very predictable.  Stevenson spent a bit of time at Jackson’s preparing for this fight, and I belive is a much better figher on the floor.  I’m going to pick Stevenson, based on that, with the understanding that if Stevenson for some unknown reason decides to test his stand up against Fisher all bets are off.

Winner:  Joe Stevenson  choke

Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

The only way Yoshida wins this fight is on the ground via some type of choke or joint lock. It’s not going there though. Johnson is absolutely massive and powerful for 170 pounds. He’s also the much more explosive and technical striker.

This fight plays out a lot like Yoshida’s bout with Josh Koscheck. Johnson will utilize his superior wrestling game to keep the fight upright on the way to another vicious highlight reel knockout.

I’m a huge fan of watching “Rumble” in action. Looking forward to this one.

Winner: Anthony Johnson via knockout

David Andrest: Cory you have nailed it,  this will be another fight to make the case for  Johnson being a true contender at 170.   Yoshida could be dangerous on the ground, if  Johnson somehow forgets his roots  in wrestling.  I like Yoshida and will always appreciate the entertaing  choke he put on War Machine.  Yoshida is a good 170, however  good isn’t going to be enough to stop Rumble.

Winner: Anthony Johnson  via TKO

• David Andrest says:

BTW. please don’t come in here picking

Machida
    Velasquez
    Tibau
    Stevenson
    Johnson
    Okami
    Bader
    and act like you are reinventing the wheel. We all know those are the favorites. :)

• fanoftna33 says:

I am sticking with Machida in the main event , I dont think Shoguns cardio can hold up for 5 rounds and he will not be able to catch Machida early. Machida 4th rd submission.
    Rothwell over Cain due to superior striking and experience. Cain will use takedowns at any time but Rothwell has been there and done that. Rothwell ud.
    Neer over Tibau via submission. Neer is to tough to be koed, or submitted( remember the knee bar joe daddy caught him with). Neer hits hard and has a great guard I expect a great fight but I have Neer 2nd rd ko
    Stevensen by submission 2nd round. Fischer is completly inept when facing good wrestlers(see his match with Edgar) he has a few submissions but is nowhere near Daddys caliber. Also Joe has decent striking so Joe by sub.
    I know its not the sexy pick but I think Yoshida learned from the Koscheck fight not to stand with big punchers, and Johnson while a good wrestler will be schooled by Yoshidas ground expertise. Yoshida by submission 3rd rd.

• edub says:

Machida by TKO:
    Machida is probably the best martial artist in the world today…. I ll let that sink in.

He is great at everything. Not good great. He makes his opponent look like an amateur everytime he steps in the cage. Shogun is great and I think is still improving, but Machida is at the very top of his game. I feel Machida stops the fight some where in the forth or fifth as Rua just won’t be able to take the punishment anymore.

Cain Velazquez by UD:
    I feel the bigger stronger fighter is gonna have one major flaw that s gonna be on the smaller fighters side. Quickness. Cain is gonna get the td all night and when he is on top he is gonna score points. I dont think he’ll stop big ben I think he’ll come close a few times.

Neer TKO:
    Grit is the perfect word to describe Neer David. I think Tibau will be ahead early with takedowns and some ground and pound, but Neer is gonna punish him. I see the pace of the fight getting to tibau in the later rounds and Neer taking over.

Stevenson Dec or Sub:
    “My vote would be to send the loser to Japan to smash Aoki, but I digress.”
    Haha you better watch out Dave, one of the Zuffa haters is gonna jump all ever you.

I see this fight going similar to Fisher-Edgar. Except when Joe gets him down itll be harder for Fisher to get up because of the strength disparity. I see Joe controlling for most of the fight and if Fisher gives him his head he’ll take the guillotine. If not hell take a dec.

Aj vs Yoshida-Push
    I absolutely cannot decide on the sinner of this fight. Yoshida took down a bigger Warmachine quite easily but I know Koppenhaver is not Rumble. A friend of mine asked me if it was a sure thing to bet on AJ. I had no answer then and I still have no answer now. AJ is bigger stronger and faster but something in my gut is telling me that this a trap fight for him. I just cant decide.

• edub: BTW… David if your still waiting Machida was in a triangle against Tito, and I know I was going ape sh*t when I thought it was locked in.

Machida wins Saturday in the 4th via MURDERDEATHKILL, no doubt about it.

• edub says:

Haha I was just givin him shit Sergio.

• Xspur says:

Machida by KO or TKO
    Rothwell by Sub
    Neer by KO or TKO, watch for his uppercut
    Stevenson by UD
    Johnson by KO or TKO
    Some tough calls, and some exciting possibilities. But those are my guns, and I’m sticking to em’

• antone3x7 says:

Sergio Hernandez: Machida has fought for almost an entire hour inside the Octagon. Pleeeeeeease stop bringing up 45 seconds of those near 60 minutes as Machida “being in trouble.”Yes, the triangle but deep but Machida powered out of it and has looked every better in his next two fights than he ever has.Machida wins Saturday in the 4th via MURDERDEATHKILL, no doubt about it.

Triangle was in deep = Machida appeared to be in trouble. Just because it was 45 secs out of 60 mins of Octagon time and he powered out of it doesn’t mean you can discredit the fact that Machida, for those 45 secs, appeared to be in trouble 3 fights ago.

• antone3x7 says:

Sorry for the quote on the top and bottom, compy problems.

• Rich S. says:

Well, all the logic in the world would point to Machida winning this fight..

After all, you can’t hit him, and you can’t take him down.. But, he can hit you at will, and take you down at will.. The skill level of this guy is straight up freaky..

But, for some weird, inexplicable reason, I find myself wanting to pick Shogun.. I can’t even actually picture him winning in my head.. Every time I picture the fight, I see Shogun gassing and getting chased around and kicked repeatedly.. But still, I have to pick him.. Maybe it’s because upsets are so common these days… JUST when you think someone is unbeatable, they get brutally knocked unconscious (Torres, Rashad, Faber, etc)..

So, for no real reason at all, aside from the fact that I have a funny feeling in my stomach, I have:

Shogun via TKO r2 or 3

Ah, now for the more logical approach..
    I don’t really know what to think about Velasquez/Rothwell..
    On one hand I’m thinking Rothwell’s experience and striking may get him a “W”..
    And on the other hand I’m thinking Velasquez is going to wear him out on the ground..
    I think this one’s going to be a little slow, and:

Velasquez will walk away with a UD..

No matter what their records are, or how many losses they’re coming off of, Neer/Tibau has the makings to be FOTN.. First off, ANY FIGHT with Neer could potentially be FOTN, but throw in a crafty, fast, and powerful opponent and you have a back and forth brawl..
    Neer’s not much of an offensive ground guy (aside from pounding from guard), but his defense is great.. I think he will be able to fend off all of Tibau’s ground magic, and get back to his fight frequently.. and THAT’S where he’ll give Tibau problems.. He has some hard, gritty striking that can really wear you down.. If his shots land frequently and effectively, Tibau will drop. Otherwise:

Neer via UD (or SD)..

Fisher/Stevenson is actually a GREAT bout and could also end up nabbing FOTN honors.. Both of these guys go full force for 3 rounds every time.. Stevenson was a top tier LW a couple years ago, but seemed to fall off after his title shot.. After his fight with Diaz, it seems that he’s back, and out for blood.. Fisher always brings the fight, no matter what, and pretty much guarantees a war.. Fisher has a good ground game, but let’s be honest, this is pretty much Striker vs. Grappler, and I think Stevenson has a strong enough chin and defense to not take too much damage in the striking department.. Expect an all out war that goes from the feet to the ground and back to the feet plenty of times over three rounds, and ends with:

Stevenson nabbing a UD..

Johnson/Yoshida probably won’t last too long..
    Yoshida is a good, well-rounded fighter, but AJ is a freak of nature.. With solid wrestling, good submission defense, and speed and power in the stand-up that is hard to even comprehend, it’s hard to make the case for ANYONE legitimately beating AJ right now..

Anthony Johnson via TKO r1 or early r2..

• MMApride19 says:

I agree with Cory on this one. I havnt seen a LHW fighter so naturally gifted as Shogun. Sure, there are fighters i agree are more talented ‘skill wise’. So technically, they look better… sharper… etc. However, Shogun possesses that amazing fighters instinct… he is just a pure fighter lol. A real warrior. He knocks people out.. he finishes the best in the world.. he is so well rounded and complete. He is so dangerous in any aspect of the fight. Im quoting Mike Tyson here lol : ‘The greatest fighter in the world is not exactly the fighter who is the most skilled and talented, but the greatest fighter in the world is the one who can keep his composure under pressure and scrutiny.’ By the way now i mentioned Tyson… check out this recent interview… wow… hes really changed and matured… for the better lol – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uy6NkEEPfc&feature=email.

But i think what he said is so true.. it really is. The best fighter doesnt have to have the greatest skill, but the way they deal with things… pressure… and danger. I have yet to see Machida in danger yet.. i have seen Shogun fight under pressure many times. Now.. my question is… when Machida gets caught with somethings big… what is going to happen. And i no for a fact Shogun will catch him with something big, he always rocks his opponents some way or another lol. Shogun has shown me he is one of the best fighters in the world, i want Machida to prove it too. And i believe he will in time. He will no doubt go down as a MMA great.. but in time.

I love Machida, he is an amazing martial artist, im going to be a fan of his for ages. But i see Shogun taking this one. I dont know why, my gut just tells me. Its Shoguns time man. His time to shine (again lol, but in the UFC this time). Cardio wont be an issue this time, he has had so long to prepare since he has recovered from any surgeries. It will be no excuse now.

Anyway.. we only got to wait until Saturday !! And i dont know about everyone else.. but im PUMPED for this fight lol. One of my favourite fighters ever (Shogun) against one of the best LHW in the world (Machida). I cant wait lol.

• neijia says:

MMApride19 ‘ the greatest fighter in the world is the one who can keep his composure under pressure and scrutiny.’

er, that pretty much describes Machida more than anyone else in LHW, not including Anderson Silva.

I have yet to see Machida in danger yet..

er …. right. there is a very good reason for that…

• jding3 says:

I’m going with Machida via unanimous decision, I think Shogun will definitely test Machida, but I can’t see him knocking or submitting him. Also 6 out of 15 of Shoguns knockouts came via soccer kicks, or stomps. Both moves obviously not allowed in the UFC. I don’t know how that effects the aggressiveness of his Muay Thai, but I think it’s an interesting stat

Machida by Unanimous Decision
    Rothwell by KO
    Neer by Unanimous Decision
    Fisher by split decision
    Johnson by TKO

• Makington says:

Once again, I had the exact same picks as Cory for the exact same reason, except one. I do have a feeling Shogun will bring the belt home, although I am not as confident as Cory seemed. I have truly been a huge Shogun fan and never gave up on him even when I felt like total idiot after his fights with Forrest and Coleman. When he was fighting Chuck, I knew he was coming back and whoever he fought after that was in huge trouble. Obviously it’s hard to go against Machida, and I believe Machida should win, but I think Shogun will take it home. I wouldn’t mind being wrong, since I have huge respect for both fighters, but like Cory stated, Shogun has hands down IMO the best instincts as a fighter. If that man was doing anything else it would be a shame.

The one fight I went the other direction was Tibau and Neer. I think Tibau is too strong for Neer and will be able to put him on the ground when he wants to. I think he will control the fight clearly so he doesn’t get robbed by the judges again like with Guillard.

• redness says:

Shogun should not even be in the cage with machida. In his last three he beat up a old Chuck a old Coleman who he could not but away and Forest beat him not impressive. Machida TKO inside the first.
    Velazquez -UD
    Neer-Sub
    Stephenson- RNC FOTN
    Johnson-KO 1st

• MMApride19 says:

neijia:
    er …. right. there is a very good reason for that…if we were to give awards for people pulling rabbits out of hats, the first one would go to Fedor. but if it’s for winning fights w/o ever really being in any danger, it’d go to the UFC LHW champ who is 15-0 and hasn’t even lost a round. 65% strikes landed (vs 35% avg and 2nd only to Anderson Silva). 85% takedown defense. specializes in precision strikes counterattacking against “aggressive” fighters. beat Rafael Lovato, Jr. in sub grappling. On paper the odds are just too heavily in favor of Machida. And Rua is no longer the same fighter he was in Pride, unfortunately. Machida by another (T)KO by Rd 3. as far as chokes go you know as a hobbyist grappler the choker’s arms can gas easily before 45 sec. the fact is that Tito didn’t pull it off. happens all the time. not really worth mentioning.

Lol its just my opinion man!! Abit defensive over Machida arent you lol!!! Im just a fan of Shogun.. Shogun can have fans too right?!?! Lol. I respect Machida alot, and i am a fan of his. But iv been a huge fan of Shogun for a very long time now. Machida could win, Shogun could win. I think alot of you think its going to be easy for Machida, when its most certainly not. But im leaning towards Shogun. I am aloud to think Shogun could win right ?Lol.

• Connor Cobain says:

Only judging the bouts that are controversial.

Machida vs. Shogun

-Machida via 1st round TKO

I’m tired of hearing about how much better Shogun is now, hes not ready for or deserving of a title shot against Machida. He looked decent against chuck and he won by KO, Big deal who hasn’t against Chuck lately? People lets face it Machida is a beast, he DESTROYED Rashad and will do the same with Shogun.

Velasquez vs. Rothwell

-Rothwell via 2nd round TKO

I seem to be one of the only ones who’s fallowed Rothwells career and am unimpressed by Velasquez’s but whatever. If Cheick Kongo is your biggest fight and you barely won that then you should humble yourself. Velasquez’s has talent but this whole Mexican Heavyweight Savior thing is ridiculous, and guess what Rothwells a beast and he likes to feed on brown people.

Fisher vs. Stevenson

-Fisher via UD

I wont lie, Ive lost faith in Joe Daddy. Spenser on the other hand has gained allot of my respect lately and I think he can pull this off and put himself in top ten material. The likeliness of either of these people ever again or ever wearing a belt is small though. The LW division is to packed of better fighters than either of them and how Joe Daddy ever even had the belt is beyond me.

• neijia says:

MMApride19:
    Lol its just my opinion man!! Abit defensive over Machida arent you lol!!!

lol, yes, totally allowed to pick shogun and I don’t mean to be defensive. and I can’t give or take permission re: your opinion, lol. big fan of shogun too. on paper it’s not close. jding3 also has a big point about the kicks. still, shogun could definitely pull it off. this hype is getting me excited.

• fetussandwich says:

• edub says:

fetussandwich: Can I ask a serious question with the hope to get serious answers? Why is Machida getting a title shot? And yes, I ask this knowing Lesnar fought Couture and Belfort is fighting Silva, which are questions in their own right but off topic.

Because he is the champion already.

• Makington says:

You mean Shogun I reckon? Much has to do with his past accomplishments, which he looks like he is atleast getting closer to. Another big factor is that the other contenders (Rashad, Rampage) went to do TUF so that didn’t leave many other fighters in line. Of course Shogun did KO Chuck, which is exactly what Rashad did to get the shot. But it was kind of like, give Shogun the title shot, or have Machida wait on the sidelines until 2010 to see who he fights between Rashad and Rampage.

I, for one, am glad Shogun got the title shot for a couple reasons. a) Huge Shogun fan b) I want to see Machida defend the belt within a year c) I know this will be a great fight, and last, d) I feel Shogun has a pretty good chance of taking the belt. My opinion isn’t based so much on logic as preference.

It’s never fun to see champions waiting up to a year and a half to defend their belt. I feel like there should be a belt being defended every UFC, or almost every UFC. With 5 champions, it’s not that unreasonable to ask the fighter to fight every 5 months.

• Makington says:

Way to be a smartass edub 😛

• edub says:

Hahahahaha he said he wanted a serious answer.

• David Andrest says:

I too will assume you meant Shogun.

My guess, and it’s only a guess,, is the UFC was looking for a different style of fighter to put in the cage with Machida.

And for the crazy mma enthusiast it allows for some lineage for the UFC champion. Shogun prior to back to back knee reconstructions was the best 205 in the world. ( my opinion, and opinion of many) Shogun appeared to be close to form against Liddell, and barring injury should look even better against Machida.

A win by Shogun is a win for the UFC in that they can again stake claim to having the best of the best, in a young, marketable fighter who minus 2 fights in his career is among the most exciting fighters there is. When he is in form you don’t have to explain to people why he is good, or sell him as a mystical wonder. He is just pure aggression, and his style sells itself.

Shogun is rock and roll
    Machida is classical music

A win by Machida allows the UFC to toot the horn once again that without a doubt Machida is the man at 205. He’s beat the who’s who, including Pride grand prix champion Shogun Rua. Not to meniton odds are Shogun’s style will not allow for the fight to be “boring” to an avg viewer. The less the UFC has to explain why Machida is good AND entertaining the better for the UFC. It wasn’t so long ago that they had to sell Machida to people. EXPLAIN why his “elusive” style was impressive to people who prefered aggression.

That’s just my view on the subject.

• BigDave says:

Anyone picking rua now is smokin something really wrong. Rua in his prime might have had a shot but even then I think Machida wins.

Machida TKO rd1

Rothwell is about to be destroyed by the best HW fighter in the UFC in my opinion. This is just a tune up fight for cain before he beats Brock for the title early next year. (yes, Brock TKO’s Carwin inside 3 minutes)

Valasquez by rnc rd 1

I agree with David, Josh Neer is not capable of being in a bad fight.

Neer TKO rd2

If Stevenson can’t get Fisher down and fast he is going to get KO’d plain an simple and that is exactly what I see happening here.

Fisher KO rd1

LET’S GET READY TO RUMMMMBBLLLLLEEE! Johnson is a monster at 170 and although he wouldn’t stand a chance against GSP (no one at 170 does) I will pick him over anyone else in the division. Oh and he wins here to.

Johnson KO rd2 (kotn)

There will be no decisions on the main card so there will be some prelims on the ppv for sure.

• Makington says:

Nice comparison to music David :) Ironically my 2 favourite kinds. I pretty much can’t sit still, and I still have 2 days!

• fetussandwich says:

edub: Hahahahaha he said he wanted a serious answer.

I like it Dave, and what I was safely assuming as well–that on paper, they’re matching them up for their styles. Elusive and unpredictable versus aggressive and unpredictable makes for a great fight. I hate the fucking commercials though where they insert the textbook Asian music over the textbook Asian font of “champion” for Machida. If the UFC needs one thing more than it needs reasoning to their fights, it’s a new layout and video editor.

Granted I understand the logic behind the match up, I just think the reasoning with the fight is a little shabby. He went from the best in the world, to the injury, to shaking off ring rust with a loss against Forrest, barely beating an extremely out of his prime Coleman, then knocking out another extremely over the hill fighter in Chuck. If Rua had come in and fought Evans or Rampage pre Mr. T, or even Thiago Silva, and gained a win against any of them, I could understand it. I think the other half of the reasoning was Rampage’s retirement, and the match against Evans and Jackson never coming to fruition, leaving the UFC scratching their heads as to who to toss at Machida next. At the end of the day, I just feel that Shogun’s style will play right into Machida like Thiago played into him and he’s going to be waking up from a light heavyweight nightmare all too commonly known now a Machida KO.

But by any means, don’t take this as me complaining. I can’t wait to see how it all unfolds Saturday.

• edub says:

fetussandwich: Ba zing! You should put your top 10 list following every top 10 list on this site though because you clearly are the authority on MMA! I’ll make sure to triple check my posts next time hahahahaha LOL ROFL LMAO JK!?!?!

Hey roid rage guy I was makin a joke about the name you put down. Why would you take that seriously enough to go back check my posts. For a guy with buckwheat in front of a confederate flag and the name fetussandwich you got some thin skin.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ben Rothwell

Win Chris Guillen Submission (Elbows) AMMA 2 – Adrenaline MMA 2 12/11/2008 1 3:40
    Loss Andrei Arlovski KO (Punches) Affliction – Banned 7/19/2008 3 1:13
    Win Krzysztof Soszynski TKO (Punches) IFL – 2007 Semifinals 8/2/2007 1 0:13
    Win Travis Fulton Submission (Kimura) IFL – Chicago 5/19/2007 2 3:11
    Win Roy Nelson Decision (Split) IFL – Moline 4/7/2007 3 4:00
    Win Matt Thompson TKO (Punches) IFL – Houston 2/2/2007 2 1:47
    Win Devin Cole KO (Head Kick) IFL – Championship Final 12/29/2006 1 3:16
    Win Bryan Vetell KO (Punch) IFL – Gracie vs. Miletich 9/23/2006 1 3:17
    Win Dan Bobish KO (Knee)

Cain Velasquez

Win Cheick Kongo Decision (Unanimous) UFC 99 – The Comeback 6/13/2009 3 5:00
    Win Denis Stojnic TKO (Punches) UFC – Fight Night 17 2/7/2009 2 2:34
    Win Jake O’Brien TKO (Punches) UFC – Fight Night 14 7/19/2008 1 2:02
    Win Brad Morris TKO (Punches) UFC 83 – Serra vs. St. Pierre II 4/19/2008 1 2:10
    Win Jesse Fujarczyk TKO (Punches)

What the hell are you talking about.

• David Andrest says:

MMA-LOGIC: “Velasquez has been active and successful against top notch competition while Rothwell hasn’t”Ben Rothwell Win Chris Guillen Submission (Elbows) AMMA 2 – Adrenaline MMA 2 12/11/200813:40Loss Andrei Arlovski KO (Punches) Affliction – Banned 7/19/2008 3 1:13Win Ricco Rodriguez Decision (Unanimous) IFL – 2007 Team Championship Final 9/20/2007 3 4:00Win Krzysztof Soszynski TKO (Punches) IFL – 2007 Semifinals 8/2/2007 1 0:13Win Travis Fulton Submission (Kimura) IFL – Chicago 5/19/2007 2 3:11Win Roy Nelson Decision (Split) IFL – Moline 4/7/2007 3 4:00Win Matt Thompson TKO (Punches) IFL – Houston 2/2/2007 2 1:47Win Devin Cole KO (Head Kick) IFL – Championship Final 12/29/2006 1 3:16Win Wojtek Kaszowski Submission (Keylock) IFL – World Championship Semifinals 11/2/2006 1 3:14Win Bryan Vetell KO (Punch) IFL – Gracie vs. Miletich 9/23/2006 1 3:17Win Krzysztof Soszynski TKO (Punches) IFL – Legends Championship 2006 4/29/2006 1 3:59Win Dan Bobish KO (Knee) Cain Velasquez Win Cheick Kongo Decision (Unanimous) UFC 99 – The Comeback 6/13/200935:00Win Denis Stojnic TKO (Punches) UFC – Fight Night 17 2/7/2009 2 2:34Win Jake O’Brien TKO (Punches) UFC – Fight Night 14 7/19/2008 1 2:02Win Brad Morris TKO (Punches) UFC 83 – Serra vs. St. Pierre II 4/19/2008 1 2:10Win Jeremiah Constant TKO (Punches) Bodog Fight – Clash of the Nations 12/16/2006 1 4:00Win Jesse Fujarczyk TKO (Punches)What the hell are you talking about.

Rothwell is 14-1 in his last 15. But don’t worry Cory and the rest of the world is not impressed.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I got
    Rua TKO rd 4
    Rothwell TKO rd 2
    Tibau UD
    Fisher UD
    I have no idea why you guys are impressed by Cain. So far, from what I have seen he has shown me that he is NOT all that he is hyped up to be. He may prove me wrong but I bet it will be by UD (the old “I can’t beat this guy in a fight so I will just hold him down, prevent him from doing anything, slap him a little, give him a bit of a tickle and win a decision”).

• submit662266 says:

Can’t wait for these fights.

Rothwell Rd 1 KO Cain is over-rated.
    Neer KO Rd 2
    Fisher KO Rd 3
    I’m going to pretend like I didn’t see Rumble tap out against Clementi and say Rumble
    KO within 1 minute.

• twyg says:

I know I am beating a dead horse with this and will not be able to convince anyone to chage their minds, but how in Gods name can you pick against Machida? Cory you said that the best Shogun will show up, and I ask you what makes you think so? In his last three fights he has been tapped by Forrest, got by a 44 year old first time at LHW Coleman by the skin of his teeth, and KO’ed a glass chinned past his prime Iceman. Do I need to remind everyone that this is not 2006, and that the Pride Shogun is never coming back? As for all the upsets that nave been happening and going with your gut there is one guy that hasn’t been upset recently; A.Silva. Seeing as how “The Dragon” is basically as good if not better then “The Spider” there is no way I pick against him. For all of you that have I just hope you haven’t bet real money on it.

• twyg says:

Also I like Rothwell. Who has Cain beat? If Kongo had any kind of takedown defense he wins that fight. Cain was rocked at the beginning of every round, and if (when) Ben rocks Cain, Ben has the tools to keep from being taken down and laid on the whole fight. If Cain wins this fight I will gladly eat crow and give him his props, but that is not going to happen. Welcome to the big show Ben you deserve it.

• MMApride19 says:

submit662266: Can’t wait for these fights.Machida Rd 2 TKO Shogun’s last 2 wins were hardly impressive (the Coleman fight was one of the very few low-points I can ever remember in MMA).
    Rothwell Rd 1 KOCain is over-rated.
    Neer KO Rd 2
    Fisher KO Rd 3
    KO within 1 minute.

I think Valesquez will win, but i agree, i dont think he has proved himself yet. And i dont think he will finish Rothwell. Rothwell is very, very tough. And i just dont think Valesquez has what it takes to finish the guy. He may prove me worng tomorrow, and if he does, then i wont be surprised. But i just dont see it happening. I honestly think Rothwell is going to do very well in the UFC.

• MMApride19 says:

twyg: I know I am beating a dead horse with this and will not be able to convince anyone to chage their minds, but how in Gods name can you pick against Machida?Cory you said that the best Shogun will show up, and I ask you what makes you think so?In his last three fights he has been tapped by Forrest, got by a 44 year old first time at LHW Coleman by the skin of his teeth, and KO’ed a glass chinned past his prime Iceman.Do I need to remind everyone that this is not 2006, and that the Pride Shogun is never coming back?As for all the upsets that nave been happening and going with your gut there is one guy that hasn’t been upset recently; A.Silva.Seeing as how “The Dragon” is basically as good if not better then “The Spider” there is no way I pick against him.For all of you that have I just hope you haven’t bet real money on it.

I cant wait till he proves all you ‘Machida Bandwagon fans’ wrong tomorrow night. And he will. And then you will all start jumping on Shoguns ‘new’ bandwagon. When he beats Machida.

It happens all the time with alot of fans. Evans had a huge bandwagon going… and then he got KOed by Machida. Everyone stopped talking about him. Its going to happen with Machida tomorrow. The thing is with you guys, you have convinced yourselves that Machida is some unstoppable force.. some GOD. He is a fighter… he is not unbeatable. There is a chance he will win, but there is also a chance he will lose. We all thought GSP had no chance of losing against Serra… it happened didnt it. Upsets happen, and i bet one is going to happen tomorrow night.

• David Andrest says:

MMApride19:

Dude, that’s no lie. Biggest instance I ever remember was the Rampage bandwagon. Everyone who ever watched PRIDE, KNEW he was going to beat Chuck. The Zuffa Zombies were so clueless going into that fight. Many didn’t know if was a second fight, others held out for any ezcuse they could find.

Chuck gets beat, and the Rampage war wagon over flowed with people, all claiming of course that they knew what would happen.

• fetussandwich says:

edub:

Check your posts? Please don’t flatter yourself. You eagerly await the top 10 lists and refresh your browser 100 times an hour to post first; you’re hard to miss. I don’t even think that came off angry at all. If anything, you have the thin skin to take offense to a reply and to start tossing yours senseless, aimless comments as you assume and generalize the MMA audience down to nothing more than jacked up meatheads. You know what you were trying to do with your useless comment. Why be shocked and try to point the finger back at me when the rise happens?

• Broncos1998 says:

I like Machida but I don’t understand the deference given to him at this point in his UFC career (yes, I know he is champ but no defenses yet). He has beaten three prominent fighters in the UFC: Ortiz, T. Silva and Evans. Only Evans is likely considered a top 10 LHW, perhaps T. Silva near the bottom of the top 10. Prior to those fights, Machida was considered a boring fighter who avoided contact and liked to ride out decisions. His fight against Evans was devastating, but I am not ready to crown him some unstoppable force. Keep in mind that Evans was the champ after beating a slowing Liddell and Griffin (not exactly murderers row of LHWs). If he dominates Shogun, then he is well on his way. I don’t think that will happen. Shogun TKO 4th round.

• Xspur says:

Looks like I’m the only one that sees Rothwell winning by submission. hrmm….

• edub says:

fetussandwich: you have the thin skin to take offense to a reply and to start tossing yours senseless, aimless comments as you assume and generalize the MMA audience down to nothing more than jacked up meatheads.

• moosebaby02 says:

im with you Xspur just havent got the time to put my picks in yet

• moosebaby02 says:

i like you edub

• moosebaby02 says:

and if people dont like you jokes that they put their themsleves what can you do????

• moosebaby02 says:

anyways
    Dragon tko in the 4th
    Big Ben sub in the 2nd
    Neer tko 3rd
    i want to say Fisher but i have a feeling bid daddy is just going to hold him down to get a win
    and for some reason i dont know but i have the same feeling that dub has with the AJ fight. i want him to win but it feels like a trap fight to me. Yoshida sub in the 3rd

• edub says:

I like you too moose…

It seems like we have the exact same reasoning on the Yoshida fight. I still cant make a decision.

• Jstew3785 says:

It’s a pointless battle edub. I can’t believe I wasted time on him either. There’s always going to be some kind of come back so I have chosen to just ignore his posts from now on. I’ve been coming to this site for a little while now and I know who knows what the hell they’re talking about.

• twyg says:

MMApride19 you call me a bandwagon jumper without even knowing me. I have been a Machida backer since I found out he handed Franklin his first lose, which was before he even fought in the UFC. I have been calling his title reign for years, but that was before I found this site. I was a fan of his when everyone else thought he was a boring fighter. To me seeing he was going to be the next great LHW was as easy as seeing that after Lennox Lewis the Klitschko brothers were the next great heavyweight boxing champs. I knew he was going to beat everyone he fought in the UFC, because he is on another level. No I won’t be jumping on the Shogun bandwagon, I will take all the ribbing and I told you so b.s. if Rua wins. Really though I don’t have to worry because Machida is going to stop Shogun.

• fraz says:

antone3x7: Sorry for the quote on the top and bottom, compy problems.

Please don’t say “compy”.

• edub says:

fraz: Please don’t say “compy”.

I swear to god Ill pistol whip the next guy who says compy.

• Makington says:

I don’t think he meant you personally twyg, but let’s be honest. I’ve been a pretty big Machida fan since he cam into the UFC. I could watch that guy pick people apart all day. However, I was part of an extremely small group up until recently. I used to get chewed up pretty hard on most sites for backing up Machida. The only other fighter I’ve seen that much hate for is Bisping. Point is, 80% of these people who hated Machida with a furious passion now love him with the same intensity. The best thing about this site is mostly every user is an avid fan and I see the best fighter insight on here than any other site, bar none. You won’t see it as much here but it gets terrible other places.

I am one of the few picking Shogun to win this fight (another fighter who I got some choice words for defending) Logically, I know Machida should win, and I realize that the odds are much more in Machida’s favour, but I’m going more on gut instinct than pure logic. I really won’t mind whoever wins because I have much respect for both fighters but I just got a feeling.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

edub and moose should GET A ROOM!……………….compy, compy, compy, COMPY!.

• twyg says:

Makington you are probably right that he did not mean just me but he did use my quate so I felt compelled to defend myself against false alligations. I will also admit that there are a lot of Machida fans now as compared to when he was going all three rounds. Hell I saw it first hand when he beat Rashad. Everyone was booing Machida at Buffalo Wild Wings, then he KO’ed Rashad and everyone loved him. I then proceded to tell everyone of them to shut the fuck up. The same will happen if Shogun somehow manages to pull it off. I like Shogun and am a fan of his but I bet with my head not my heart. This time they are in agreement so I am all good. Compy

• cocoonofhorror says:

Rothwell might die.

• fetussandwich says:

edub:
    Dude do u come on here to pick fights through the computer world with people. I made a simple joke about you putting the wrong name down, and your trying to turn it into a back and forth argument. Senseless, and aimless comments are you effin kidding. Your right I am on this site pretty much all the time, I dont have anything else to do at work. So sue me. Or better yet email cory and ask him to kick me off if you dont like seein my posts. I dont pretend to be anything all knowing or all hating. I share my thoughts as much as possible because I want to know everybody’s opinion on pretty much everything. I even love debating with people I disagree with the most. You guys know who you are Metal, Logic, etc. My mind gets changed half the time after debating with those guys.Anyways I cant believe i wasted my time on you. But I did as jstew did before me. If your only reason for coming to sites is to rip on peopel for how many times they post or their gramma or whatever your trying to do than I suggest TMZ. So i guess its your turn now since uve obviously got something against me.

You see, jstew suffers from the same problem you do–chronic lack of intelligence. Medically, it’s called your dad should have pulled out of your aunt. You share the same affinity for not being able to spell 4 letter words, so I understand why you support each other. There is one cure for this disease, and it’s called a bullet and a gun. Just because you frequent a site doesn’t make you an authority on the subject matter jstew, as you have proved that for us after committing suicide with what you call “logic” and “reasoning”. I suggest you wrap your head around a different mode of thought to get yourself out of bed in the morning and strapping up those Velcro shoes for another noble day in your corporate coffin on Monday.

I mean edub, I just don’t understand man. Are you intentionally being a glaring hypocrite? I’m flattered you’re trying to be another illiterate cum stain hanging himself with his own words for me, but is it really always this easy? You clearly know what you’re talking about and realize this as a respected member of this site, so why is this even happening? This shit makes me do nothing more than laugh, because at the end of the day, its comical that YOU get so uppity and deeply offended when someone busts your balls AFTER busting theirs. You realize that is why you’re sitting here fat and stupid reading and writing this, right? Because you got offended, not me? Then your e-chronies sit back like “Yah, you tell em! The name of this editorial is ‘Trading Punches’ anyways. You go edub!” like we’re fighting in the parking lot of the high school you didn’t graduate. I was jousting back, but oh, god forbid someone gives it to you when you can’t take it right? On the fucking INTERNET of all things. It just never ceases to blow my mind really or make me laugh and will always deserve my reply. It’s like there’s some magical factory somewhere in the world baking up plastic retards with included GED and Toyota Scion to accessorize with and drive on over to Barbie’s Dream House. Next time, think. It’s so simple really–think. I’m trying to help you. You completely went past shooting yourself in the foot and put the gun in your mouth for me. Evolution really needs to hurry the fuck up because Barbie is getting sick of the popped collars at her parties. Evolve your thoughts and logic and we wouldn’t be here in the first place.

Maybe after Machida blows Rua out of the water in a couple of hours, you can come over and I’ll hold you close and tell you everything will be OK and we can be pals and I’ll buy the next round of shit cheap beer we’ll both be drinking tonight as a token of my love and adoration for you. Now insert my acronym/winky face here. Your posts and opinions clearly have value to me and everyone else here brotha. Just put the gun down and everything will be OK. Enjoy the show tonight~