Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves II set for UFC 107

thiagoA welterweight rematch between Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves has been booked for UFC 107.

The news of the match-up was first revealed in a report on MMAJunkie.com before being confirmed by UFC President Dana White.

UFC 107 is set to take place from the FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee on December 12, airing live on pay-per-view.

Both men will be looking to place themselves back into title contention following mutual defeats to current 170 pound king, Georges St-Pierre.

Fitch has notched back to back wins over the likes of Akihiro Gono and Paulo Thiago following his failed bid at championship glory during UFC 87, while Alves will be returning to the Octagon for the first time since his loss at the hands of St-Pierre following a seven fight win streak in the UFC.

• xtreme_machine says:

I hope my buy fitch takes this one

is not going to be easy but

Fitch via decision

• redness says:

Always a good show when either of these two get into the cage but not really sure what it means at this point for either fighter with both getting dominated by GSP for a title shot. Hoping Fitch gets the win.

• Makington says:

• Xspur says:

My hope is that Fitch wins this one. To soon to make a call on the fight w/o seeing how their training is going, but it’s my opinion that Fitch has the best chance to beat GSP of the two.

• MMApride19 says:

Makington: I think Thiago has evolved by leaps and bounds since the last time they fought. I am going to call Thiago winning this one, but you’re right redness, it’s still too fresh for another title shot the way they got dominated, except maybe Fitch.I’m just glad the Almeida/Fitch fight is off, which was sure to be the boringest fight of the century.

Ye i agree totally, Alvez has improved dramatically. I mean he looks like a totally different fighter than the fighter that fought Fitch. I think this rematch is going to be even better than there first fight, iv actually wanted to see this rematch for a while now, so im really excited that its been announced. And glad Almeida got injured.. lol, sounds abit harsh that.. but im sure you no what i mean !!! Alvez has much improved takedown defence aswell, so he should be able to defend against Fitchs takedowns, and then we all know how dangerous Alvez is on the feet.. that dude is a damn monster striking. Id rate him up there with the best Muay Thai strikers in the UFC. Infact in MMA. He is so dangerous to strike against, and i think he is just getting better and better. Im a fan of Fitch aswell, but i just love the way Alvez fights.

Cant wait for this fight, should be very exciting. Has the potential to be fight of the night, most definetly. Im going to predict Alvez winning by TKO in the 3rd round.

• jding3 says:

Brilliant rematch, winner will probably get another shot at GSP I can’t wait to see this Alves has improved so much and Fitch is still on the top of his game. This fight is a huge upgrade over the previous one.

Prediction:Fitch takes down Alves and grounds and pounds similar to the last fight, but it will be more competitive, ending in a Fitch Decision

• Makington says:

You got it, MMApride. I would rank Thiago’s muay thai in the top 3 in the UFC, up there with Brandon Vera and Anderson Silva. I would even give him better leg kicks than Antoni Hardonk who everyone goes nuts for. He is atleast twice the fighter from their first match together whereas I don’t think Fitch has improved a whole lot. Thiago can only let himself lose. If he fights the way he should, he should dismantle Fitch, but I don’t know if I will call a KO considering how much punishment Jon took against GSP. The weird thing would be that if Alves wins, he would technically be the number 1 contender, but not many people would want to see him fight GSP again considering how one sided it was. It would put him in a weird position, and if he lost to GSP a second time, he would be in the same boat Rich Franklin was in after Silva. He’d be too good for contenders, but not good enough for another shot.

• Xspur says:

You guys all seem to really be in the mindset that Thiago has what it takes to dominate Fitch? I’m just not seeing it. Anyways, like I said, it’s too early to call this one yet, but my main point is that of the two i think Fitch will offer a bigger challenge to GSP.

• BigDave says:

Fitch should win this fight just because he is more well rounded and I think Alves will be a bit gun shy his first fight after being dominated by gsp.

• cocoonofhorror says:

war Fitch!!!

• dpk says:

This fight will determine who the 2nd best WW in the world is, but it won’t get either of these guys a title shot right away. Both of their losses to GSP were too one sided to justify that, at this point. The real winner here is Paulo Thiago, I could see UFC matching him up with a much more beatable opponent now, Kampmann, Kim, or Lytle come to mind as good match-ups for him.

• JabCrossHook says:

As much is I like Thiago, he won’t beat Jon Fitch. Fitch is has significant size advantage and longer reach, and if you haven’t been watching Jon Fitch in his last two fights, his stand up improved dramatically. But he has used very little of it because his last two fights were mostly on the ground. There’s no doubt in my mind that Fitch is stronger than Alves in the clinch because of his wrestling background. Plus his longer reach and improved stand up will make it harder for Alves to land as many efficient shots.

• Seriously, Joe Silva knocked this one out of the damn park.

• Jstew3785 says:

I think Alves takes this one, but everyone is right, whoever wins this is still quite a way from a “shitletot”.

• jim7283 says:

I dunno much about Fitch but I’ll tell you this – Alves is looking like a beast right now and has been hitting the mats like a madman @ ATT – expect big things, and a much better showing once he gets another crack at GSP…

• Vogairian says:

With this fight on the card, 107 is shaping up to be an amazing line up.

• mu_shin says:

Happened to watch a re-broadcast of the second GSP-Hughes fight where St. Pierre beat Matt Hughes for the title the other night, and while I was listening to GSP talk about how he had idolized Hughes and felt that those feelings affected his performance in their first fight, it made me wonder if some of that wasn’t part of why Thiago Alves wasn’t able to really let it go when he fought GSP. No doubt St. Pierre is the superior fighter, but it made me think that the experience Alves had in facing GSP could help him learn and grow, possibly giving him added motivation and impetus toward a second run at the welterweight title. GSP used his initial loss to Highes to do just that, and maybe Alves could do the same.

Overcoming the fighter many fans have considered the number two welter also seems to me to be the path to gaining the confidence and experience that could prepare Thiago for a second challenge against St. Pierre. Fitch/Alves reads like a classic match of contrasting styles, and if Alves was able to achieve this win, perhaps it would be analagous to the path GSP took after his first loss to Hughes, adding to his strength and technique with every win, and eventually overcoming his idol.

Agree that neither Fitch nor Alves would be ready for another go at the title after this fight, but for either one, the path back to the title passes through this crossroads.

• scarred fighter says:

Fitch is going to beat the breaks off Thiago. I really like Thiago and think he is one of the top walterweights in ufc but he is not on Fitch’s level, but he could prove me wrong.either way it will be one great fight