Spike TV announces UFC:Main Events show for November 7th

Spike TV announced today that the cable network will be presenting  UFC: Main Events, a show made up of 4 recent pay per view main events. The show is scheduled for November 7th at 9pm, and will run in direct competition with  CBS/Strikeforce Fedor vs. Rogers.

The fights scheduled for telecast are as follows.

RANDY COUTURE vs. ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA

This highly-anticipated battle featured UFC legend and former heavyweight and light heavyweight champion, Randy Couture, against former PRIDE heavyweight and then UFC interim heavyweight king, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

VITOR BELFORT vs. RICH FRANKLIN

A battle of veteran former UFC champions featured former light heavyweight champ Vitor Belfort returning to the Octagon against former UFC middleweight champ Rich Franklin.

BJ PENN vs. KENNY FLORIAN

Lightweight champion BJ Penn, in his second title defense, took on top contender Kenny Florian in a battle of Brazilian jiu jitsu experts.

FORREST GRIFFIN vs. ANDERSON SILVA

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva moved up in weight class for a non-title bout against former UFC light heavyweight champ and “The Ultimate Fighter 1” winner, Forrest Griffin.

In these days of modern media, it remains to be seen if UFC MAIN EVENTS will have a significant impact on CBS/Strikeforce  Fedor vs. Rogers which will be a live event aired on broadcast television.

• thunder okami says:

love it!

• xtreme_machine says:

Sorry UFC but i will still be watching the great FEDOR

and even if i had a DRV i would still watch FEDOR 1st and UFC 2nd

Lets see how many agree with me?

• Fedor/Rogers gets watched live and between those fights, that’s when UFC: Main Events gets watched… nuff said.

• MacBatty says:

Its really nice of Dana to give those fights away for Free considering i dropped over $200 Bucks to watch them on PPV….Its nice to see that Zuffa cares more for the casual fan than the real MMA “heads” like us. Ill be honest im to much of a MMA geek to sit here and say im going to boycott or anything but it really pisses me off.

• Angry Mike says:

Gonna record ’em both and watch ’em both. Repeatedly. Even though I already watched the UFC events on ppv. What’s the altrenative? Dances with the Stars? Crappy sit coms? I don’t think so.

• moosebaby02 says:

I could care less if I paid already to watch these fights live. There is nothing better than watching a fight not knowing the outcome. Thats why the real MMA “heads” pay to watch.
    I will be watching the SF and be switching in between the commercials.
    Nice try UFC but I want to watch Fedor bash Rogers and Jason Miller vs. Jake Shields (for Strikeforces middleweight title) and Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Antonio Silva vs. Fabricio Werdum. This is a great card and more than enough to keep me from tuning on spike.
    and for everyone who is pissed cause they already paid and seen these fights I have a suggestion. The next time Dana White shows up to your door with a gun forcing you ordering the fight……dont open the door. pretend your not there and call the cops

• fanoftna33 says:

Strikeforce for sure here, at least they dont have to resort to 7th grade girl ill do this to get back at you for signing Fedor stuff.

• Vogairian says:

Of course I’ll watch Fedor v. Rogers and record the Main Events show. It is a great marketing move though, I’m sure some people will just be more interested in the UFC fights.

For the people who are mad that they paid for the events when they were live, get over it. You didn’t pay to be one of a select few to ever see it. You paid to see the fights live without knowing who/what was going to happen.

• cere says:

Even if I hadn’t seen those fights already, I agree with those that have said nothing beats watching a fight you don’t know the outcome of and live is better than rebroadcast.

UFC=Tivo.
    Fedor=watching live.

• danw84 says:

If you don’t like how the UFC has been playing the main event fights after they happened, you could always not order the live PPV and wait for the free replay. But, I doubt you’ll do that. Why? Because you pay to watch it live and pay to know the outcome immediately as it happens rather than have to hide from the world to avoid the outcomes as you wait for your free repeat.

If you’re going to order it no matter what, why care that they replay it again later?

• Makington says:

I actually already have all those fights taped. I tape most UFC’s for my personal collection pretty much. I don’t usually get many of the prelims but I’m alright with that. Also being that I remember the fights still very well, there’s really no reason for me to not be watching Strikeforce. Adding the fact that I’m excited as hell for the card Strikeforce is putting up, I’d be an idiot if I watched the main events again.

I don’t even think I’ll be watching UFC between fights, I’ll probably be online typing joyous little messages over teh interwebz about what fight we just saw.

• Badguy says:

MacBatty

You really are clueless! Are you telling me if you new ahead of time that all 4 of these Main Event Fights were going to be televised on Spike months later you would have not spent the 200 bucks and waited for the spike replay after you new the result?

This has nothing to do about Casual Fans and Diehards and who Dana and the UFC care about.

It is about

*Showing UFC content on Spike
    *Promoting these fighters since many of them have fights just around the corner.
    *Counter programming Strikeforce. (by the way they know you diehards will be watching Strikeforce live) So it is not like anything they do on tape delay is going to change that because we have all seen and and know the results)
    *Trying to get new fans
    *Promoting the UFC

If you havent paid any attention in the past year almost every single weekend the UFC shows big fights on Spike.

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

Nice litte FU to Strikeforce. Ain’t gonna do much, but still funny.

• bigbadjohn says:

I’ll tell you what anyone with a DVR will do. Record UFC. Watch Fedor and friends Live. Because Live fights are awesome. I don’t understand these people getting angry because they paid to see them Live? should this mean they should be locked in a vault by the UFC? Ludicrous. They are all on the internet anyways. And it’s not like this is a new strategy, they always rebroadcast fights. So to everyone who complains, mark it in your blackberry October 24th “DON’T BUY UFC PPV cuz they show it for free” so you don’t forget again.

• JOEgun says:

Well said Badguy. Of course I will be watching Fedor vs Rogers, because its going to be LIVE!! Live fights are much much more exciting! I never regret dishing out my 45 bucks to watch live UFC cards on ppv. Never, because its my favorite sport to watch. I like that the UFC is having this main events card to counter program Strikeforce; I mean they’ve got to do something, right? Of course. But anyway, I have seen those fights more than once and like I said before I prefer watching LIVE FIGHTS!!

Although the UFC has the bigger and better stable of fighters, to me good MMA is good MMA so I cant wait to see Fedor fight live on CBS. Thats awesome! And Mousasi is gonna out on another spectacular performance! Yup. Cant wait.

• TerribleT says:

No Contest Here! Fedor in a landslide! Can’t wait for Fedor to be on CBS network television as well as Shields and Mousasi so some of the casual fans that think a fighter has to be in the UFC to be worth watching can see what’s up! Plus I’m like any other hardcore fan,I’ll DVR the UFC fights even though I’ve already seen ’em but I’ll watch ’em again of course and I record the fights so I can show ’em to ppl I’m trying to recruit into becoming MMA fans! Hell Yeah! I’ll even DVR the whole STRIKEFORCE event just in case somebody misses it so I can have it available also and hell I’ll watch it again too….several times!!!!!!! :-)

• aimres says:

MacBatty \, don’t get worked up over something so little. We pay to watch it live and this creates more hardcore fans. The videos are on the internet immediately following the fights anyway.

• BillyWarhol says:

I’m anxious to see this Fedor guy! + yeah betwixt Rounds but not missing to Ogle the Ringside Girls I’ll watch UFC!!

But Angry Mike isn’t Chuck Liddell dancin’ the Lambada + Horizontal Tango with Stacy Keibler on Dancin’ with da Stars?? ;))

• submit662266 says:

I will watch SF and not watch any of the UFC re-broadcasts. I agree with others above. UFC charges a boat load to see these live, and then re-airs them months later. It is a slap in the face to loyal fans. Perhaps the next lack-luster card, people could boycott and send the message that we don’t appreciate it.

Also, trying to screw over the competition seems a bit paranoid to me. UFC has the best fighters and most entertaining fights BY A LONGSHOT! Strikeforce has 2-3 top-level fighters plus a bunch of UFC leftovers. Earth to Dana: calm down. You are blowing the other guys out of the water.

For the sake of argument though, if I could chose my re-broadcasts, I’d go with Machida v. Evans; Couture v. Nog; Chuck v. Wanderlei; and Diego v. Guida. Go big or don’t go.

• submit662266 says:

Nothing like writing a rebuttal to your own post minutes later. . .The thing that will send a clear message to Dana is Strikeforce pulling a large #’s of viewers, even with the UFC counter-program.

• Xspur says:

All of you who are complaining about the UFC screwing “hardcore MMA fans” to cater to the casual fan are off your rocker here. If you truly are a hardcore fan, then you will watch any fight, any time, anywhere… period, regardless of the price. I shelled out $1800.00 bucks to see the Couture vs Nog fight live and I’m not crying about it being free now. And I’ll shell out another 20 or 30 bucks to get the DVD! I, like all other ‘hardcore” fans will be recording spike and watching SF live. I say stop crying and get your pizza order figured out!

• RU486 says:

The UFC is strategically trying to do one thing. It has nothing to do with hardcore fans, or even casual fans. They are trying to piggy-back off the Strikeforce event. All the people out there that don’t watch MMA period, will see SF on CBS and call their buddies “hey man check out these fights on TV”, and UFC will pick up one of every five of them, simply because of people scrolling through the channels.

I don’t think it will be enough to make any kind of impact on the Strikeforce’s viewing audience. SF has put on a couple of really solid cards lately, and now this one. We all saw the hooplah for Kimbo Slice last year on EliteXC to the unMMAeducated, wait for the reaction to the real deal, The Last Emperor.

The truth is, that Zuffa doesn’t have the only game in town anymore. WEC is pointless, Dream is catching on with their freakshow fights, Bellator is now coming to mass households, and most of all, Strikeforce will be in more living rooms than the UFC. With the advertising dollars spent, you better bet that the salaries will be more than competitive with UFC to draw better fighters to that organization. Scott Coker really has his shit together, so this isn’t another short lived EliteXC MMAmania. SF will be around for a long time, and I’m sure that scares the hell out of White and Fertittas.

• MacBatty says:

Thanks for the “lesson” Badguy….Thanks for explaining to me Zuffa’s “GAME PLAN” …You collecting a pay check from them or are you just talking out of your ass?

All I said was that it was wrong of them to put on fights that I JUST paid for…I dont see how that makes me clueless?….If your going to promote the sport why not put on a Best of Pride show or maybe put on a Best of the undercards program….Not the LAST 4 main events of your PPV’s

You & Moosebaby are probibly those guys that doesn’t actually PAY for these events. You guys probibly head over to your BUDDIES house or your local bar and free load the fights….I can see why it wouldn’t bother you because you get to watch them for free again!

• moosebaby02 says:

no MacBatty everyone comes to my house to watch it. why would I spend money at the bar when I can spend the same even less to get it at my place and drink as much as I want and not worry about how im going to get my car home.
    Can the UFC show the best of a company that doesn’t exist any more while you can watch Fedor for free on cable? sure but I doesn’t make any sense.
    Crying about something that you can buy on DVD or watch on the web makes no sense.
    Have you ever heard of the show UFC Unleashed???? Always showing old fights. and yes I know they dont show all the main events but do you buy UFC PPV just for the main events???? I buy them to watch as much of the card they are going to show, not just the main events.
    Oh and talking COMMON SENSE is not talking out of your ass. Its just COMMON SENSE. Try it some time