Rolles Gracie vs. Mustapha Al-Turk set for UFC 109

Rolles GracieThe Gracie family is back in the UFC, where it all began.

Rolles Gracie has recently inked a multi-fight contract with the promotion, with his Octagon debut set to take place against Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 109.

Sources close to the upcoming but recently confirmed the news in a report on MMAWeekly.com.

The event is expected to take place on February 6, 2010, from Las Vegas.

A second degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie stands at 6’4″ tall and weighs in right around the 240 pound mark. With an undefeated record of 3-0, all three of Rolles’ victories have come by way of first round submission.

Al-Turk will be looking to get things back on track following consecutive defeats in the UFC at the hands of Check Kongo and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic. The bout against Gracie will undoubtedly be a must-win situation for Mustapha, who currently holds a career record of 6-5.

• Angry Mike says:

So it’s a top-tier bjj fighter against a wrestler with so-so striking. I’m think Gracie by first round submission, and adios, al Turk.

• moosebaby02 says:

thats for sure Mike

• Scottish_MMA_fan says:

Toodle-pips Al-Turk, has to be a first round sub for the new big bad Gracie.

Was quietly hoping strikeforce were gonna pick him up though to try and fill out their heavyweight roster, not that I prefer strikeforce to the ufc, just that i’d like to see the ufc have a viable challenger.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a great addition to the HW division as Roll has only 3 fights and the ufc can build him up slowly over the next few years and hopefully he will be a force in the HW division.

• BigDave says:

See ya later Al-Turk I’ll be glad to not have to watch you fight anymore. I’m not fighter bashing this guy just doesn’t have what it takes to be in an elite organization. His wins are over guys noone has ever heard of and an old way past his prime Mark Kerr. Rollies Gracie if he is as good as he sounds will not even break a sweat in this fight.

Gracie sub rd1 (rnc)

• xtreme_machine says:

yeah another Gracie via Sub

• dpk says:

This is a great signing by UFC, it looks like they got the Gracie HW that wants to focus on MMA (Not Roger). I also read that Rolles is working part time with Greg Jackson, if anyone is going to help him round out his game it is team Jackson. This guy could be a force over the next few years, I hope UFC gives him time to build up and develop his all around game.

• Oh, man… where is that cat who ALWAYS marked out for GJJ and constantly talked about the next generation of Gracie fighters? He must be pulling his hair out in joy in right now.

• edub says:

Huge pick up. If he gets passed Al-Turk(which he most likely will), then I think he should get another curtain jerker type fighter. Like maybe Tim Hague, or Christian Wellisch if either of them are still in the org.

• Makington says:

• edub says:

Makington: I feel like he will take Turk out quite easily. Like this fight is a sure given thing in my mind. It’s pretty lame how Al Turk gets 3 chances in the UFC when he has shown himself to be exceedingly unexceptional, while fighers like Jorge Gurgel lost twice in a row, which were two of the most exciting fights you could ask for.

Jorge Gurgel is 3-4 in the UFC and hasn’t finished an opponent in over 4 years. He puts on exciting fights, but if you continuously lose to the bottom level of 155ers in the UFC you don’t belong there.

• Makington says:

Well I don’t consider Aaron Riley to be a bottom level 155er, I actually think he’s a great fighter. Many LW fighters don’t finish fights. Look at Gray Maynard and Tyson Griffin. My point was, however, that he gets more chances than other fighters when he has shown absolutely no reason to be given them, whereas other exciting talented fighters got the boot.

I don’t know about you, but I will look forward to any Jorge Gurgel fight before I look forward to a Mustapha Al Turk one.

• edub says:

Aaron Riley is a great fighter(He actually used to be the head mma instructor at the gym I used to go to before he got another contract in the UFC), but he simply isnt a top level 155er in the UFC. He is exciting and very experienced, but I wouldn’t put him in the same argument as Josh Neer, Kurt Pellegrino, Gleison Tibau, Jeremy Stephens or Melvin Guillard let alone the top tier of 155ers.

I however wasnt thinkin about Riley specifically when I said that. More like Alvin Robinson, Cole Miller, and Mark Hominick.

• Makington says:

• Badguy says:

I love this signing. I was just thinking a few days ago the UFC needs this guy to go along with the pack of up and comers they have at HW.

He is an easy market. The next generation Gracie!

After this fight they should match him up Vs a TUF HW, there should be a few guys on the show that make sense. This will give him a little bit more of a well known name fight, but nothing to big right now.

I would build Gracie up for a while.

• moosebaby02 says:

I say give him Pat Barry after he gets destroyed this weekend by Hardonk.

• edub says:

Makington: I’m not arguing Jorge Gurgel being a great fighter, because I agree, I don’t think he is. But I do think he is a good fighter that always leaves everything in the cage. He may be the black belt that hates the ground game but he always come to fight, and he is always an exciting fighter. Pretend I never mentioned Jorge. My point is that there are much more exciting fighters that didn’t get the chances Mustapha has been given even though he has shown that he doesn’t deserve them.

Good Points. To me its just a product of the HW division in all of mma being slimmer(haa) than most of the other divisions.

Gracie is still relatively(sp?) inexperienced so putting him in with an accomplished hw wouldn’t be a good idea. Journey man at HW are just hard to come by. Eventhough this current tuf class doesnt seem to have many world beaters I think its gonna provide some vital undercard hws for bringing in top tier talent.

• JOEgun says:

I’ve never seen this Gracie guy fight and I dont care much for his name. And simply judging by Al Turks past UFC performances, I cannot see Mustafa winning this fight. I dont care who wins this one really. If Al Turk pulls the upset though, in highlight reel fashion, that would be hilarious and awesome! haha! …very very unlikely to happen of course. But hey Mustafa, put on a good performance , even if you lose, and tell your manager to try and get you into Strikeforce, lol.

• submit662266 says:

Joe, you have a great point (“. . . don’t care much for his name.”). Damn that Gracie family for INVENTING a martial art!! Damn them for inventing a multi-discipline combat tournament and calling it the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

If it weren’t for them, we would be watching boring boxing; would never have heard of the Iceman, the Natural, or the Dragon; I would be watching The Big Lebowski for the 1,235th time on Sat. instead of going to UFC 104, and all of us would not be wasting so much of our time writing comments and opinions on the P4P greatest MMA site on the internet, (Buffer: Fiiiiiiiiiivvvvee Ouuuuuunces oooooooooooff PAAAAIIIN!!!!!).

• Xspur says:

Be careful not to imply that the Gracie’s “invented” MMA sub. They “invented’ the tournament to display their style, the tournament itself forced the “invention” of MMA.
    As far as the post goes, I’m really glad to see the Gracie’s back in the Octogon. I hope Rolles does well. Between his training with Renzo and Greg jackson, he could go along way. I’d also like to give props to the Gracie’s for seeing the holes in their game and allowing Rolles to go train with someone like Jackson.

• fanoftna33 says:

The thing I find odd about this signing is that this guy has only 3 fights and he gets right in the ufc, along with guys like Cain who had 2 fights and Lessner with 1 fight. All throughout the elite xc Kimbo era Dana would tell anybody who would listen that “Fn” Kimbo would never be in the ufc unless he went through tuf, why? the ufc signs guys with less fights or lesser known wins. Hell Kimbo beat the tar out of Tank Abbott, a former ufc title challenger(and a guy who they brought back to showcase Mir). James Thompson isnt a great fighter by any means but he has a lot of experience and a ko of Don Frye a former ufc tournament champion. How different are thoes wins than the wins Gonzaga gets after every loss, the ufc gives him a guy with very little to no experience to showcase thier guy.

• JOEgun says:

haha submit, what i meant by “i dont care for his name” was that just because his last name is Gracie it doesnt mean he should be feared or thought of as great or something. I look at a fighter on an idividual MMA performace basis. We all know what happend to the last Gracie to fight in the ocatgon, so a last name means nothing to me in that regard. And to be honest, I would love for Mustapha to pull the upset because its apparent that so many people are up on this Gracie guys nuts for no really good reason, so i guess i will be rooting for the underdog. HA!

• Angry Mike says:

@Sergio:

Wasn’t the it Jiu Jitsu Guy? Something like that. I haven’t seen a post under that screen name for a long time. Years maybe. He always threatened to leave and never come back. Maybe he finally did.

• Xspur says:

The difference fannoftna, is ability and camps. Lesner came in as a proven champion at an elite level, Gracie is a 2nd degree blackbelt in Gracie jujitsu, with impressive technical wins on his record. Kimbo hit some old, and unskilled dudes real hard. can you see the difference?

• fanoftna33 says:

Xspur yes Rolles is from a good camp but he has twoRNC wins against guys that couldnt even make it on a tuf show and a arm triangle win over a guy thats 0-3. Not exactly a world beater of a technical record. Kimbo at least beat a guy with a ko of the ex ufc champ.
    I am not putting down the fighters here as Rolles shoould make a nice addition to the HW division just pointing out the double standards that are happening more and more from the ufc.

• mpwhite2 says:

Okay, I know I’m gonna get torn apart for this, but I think everyone needs to go a little easier on Al Turk. His fight against Cro Cop should be a nonissue because he got poked in both eyes very hard, and only got knocked out because he turned away and the ref was too dumb to realize he had been poked in the eye. So throw out that loss, and his only UFC loss is to Cheick Kongo in his UFC debut. I guarantee he is not the only person who lost their UFC debut because of jitters and pressure, especially against upper tier competition like Kongo. I’m not saying he’s going to win, I’m just saying it might be too early to label him the tomato can everyone seems to be.

• Makington says:

I don’t exactly consider Kongo an upper level fighter. He is absolutely an upper level striker but You’d be hard pressed to find a worse ground fighter. Of course he is improving on that with each fight but he still has a ways to go. I also thought Mustapha was well on his way to losing the Cro Cop fight, who as everyone knows is only a shell of his former self. The point is I’m not a huge gracie fan, I’m just even less of a Mustapha fan. I genuinely believe that Al Turk doesn’t belong in the UFC with how stacked the heavyweight division is becoming.

• Rich S. says:

Angry Mike: @Sergio:Wasn’t the it Jiu Jitsu Guy?Something like that.I haven’t seen a post under that screen name for a long time.Years maybe.He always threatened to leave and never come back.Maybe he finally did.

Yeah I’m pretty sure he vowed to stop reading 5oz. haha..
    Maybe this will lure him back in..
    That guy’s babbling used to make my day..

• Rich S.: Yeah I’m pretty sure he vowed to stop reading 5oz. haha..Maybe this will lure him back in..That guy’s babbling used to make my day..

That guy and BJJinVA or whoever he was. JJGuy was just a silly little guy but BJJinVA got really nasty towards Melissa, me, and a few others. I dunno, he just seems like the kind of guy who would grab his gun from his car after getting armbarred in practice…