5 Oz. Official Rankings: Lightweight

bj_pennFiveOuncesofPain.com is back with it’s brand new and highly official lightweight rankings.
Agree or disagree, these ranking were compiled in a completely unbiased manner based on several decisive contributing factors to the decision making process. There will be no delusional (hopefully) or political slants to these rankings

The different factors taken into account when considering the placing of the various top ten listers included, among a variety of other variables:

A) Recent activity at the weight class. Basically the deciding factor was that if you have competed your last two fights or more at a given weight, that’s your division.

For example, Some are going to be upset to see that Hendo and Rich Franklin aren’t considered for 205 due to the fact that neither have competed at the weight class in two or more bouts. Although a case could be made for either man jumping right into the top ten as soon as they return to the weight.

A guy like Anderson Silva is going to be ranked in both the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions due to the fact that he consistently bounces back and forth between divisions.

B) Activity. I could make a very strong case for putting Tito Ortiz in the 205 top ten, but he hasn’t been fighting. Someone like Alistair Overeem that hasn’t fought in over ten months also takes a significant hit for not competing.

C) Level of competition faced in the past

D) Recent wins over top contenders

E) Experience

Like always, we invite you to post your own personal rankings, and agree or disagree with us in a loosely respectful manner in the comment section below.

1. B.J. Penn: Penn’s recent submission of Kenny Florian following consecutive victories over Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk make him the only choice for the number one spot.

2. Kenny Florian: Easily one of the most well rounded and dangerous fighters in the division, prior to his most recent defeat at the hands of Penn during UFC 101, Kenflo put together a string of six consecutive victories in the Octagon. His victims include Joe Stevenson, Roger Huerta and Joe Lauzon.

3. Gray Maynard: Undefeated in nine professional bouts, with six wins in the UFC, Maynard holds victories over highly regarded lightweights such as Frankie Edgar, Jim Miller and Roger Huerta.

4. Frankie Edgar: Outside of a unanimous decision loss to the guy in the number three spot, Edgar has gone unblemished during his professional fighting career, with notable wins over Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca, Spencer Fisher, Tyson Griffin and Jim Miller.

5. Sean Sherk: Outside of losses to Penn and Edgar, Sherk holds wins over top rated fighters like Kenny Florian, Hermes Franca and Tyson Griffin during his stint at lightweight.

6. Tyson Griffin: Griffin has consistently performed well against some of the very best fighters 155 pounds has to offer. His only losses coming to Sherk and Edgar, Griffin has bested some of the most dangerous lightweights in the world, including Thiago Tavares, Clay Guida, Gleison Tibau, and most recently, Hermes Franca.

7. Diego Sanchez: While Sanchez has only been at home in the lightweight division for two fights now, notching wins over Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida, the combination of Diego’s size, striking and submission defense make it hard to visualize a fighter as one dimensional as Shinya Aoki being able to take care of “The Nightmare”.

8. Shinya Aoki: Brace yourself but I feel like Shinya being considerably lower than you will find him in other polls deserves a thorough explanation.

Aoki is commonly ranked near the very top of his weight class by many of the other rankings from respected sources, but he will receive no such love here. It’s nothing personal against the “Tobikan Judan”, but wins over guys like Joachim Hansen, Eddie Alvarez and “JZ” Calvancante don’t justify being listed anywhere near the number two spot.

Hansen is a beast, but honestly, who does he hold a recent win over, other than Shinya Aoki, that could seriously rationalize him being listed over some of the fighters on the honorable mentions list? I’ll save you the trip to google his record and tell you…. nobody! But he beat Aoki.

Alvarez? Another really exciting fighter that I would always pay to watch, but who has he beat? I’ll tell you who: Hansen and Tatsuya Kawajiri. I’ve already said what I’d had to say about “Hellboy”, but the last time Kawajiri fought anyone world class other than Alvarez and Calvancante he was outclassed by Gilbert Melendez via unanimous decision.

Don’t even get me started on “JZ”. The dude is a talent, no question about it, but top ten material? No way. The biggest win over his career is….. I guess it’s Caol Uno three years ago. With that mindset, Spencer Fisher automatically jumps up to like seven or eight.

However, Aoki is amazingly gifted and it will be fascinating to see how his somewhat one dimensional style of submission fighting would do against the fighters in the United States who are allowed the use of elbows, combined with coming in at an average of ten to twenty pounds heavier than the majority of the opponents in his past.

I could use Hermes Franca as an example as to why I feel like Aoki is granted a little too much respect because it just so happens to be the sexy pick. Franca, while suffering losses to top fighters like Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar and Tyson Griffin, at least he’s in there fighting the top guys so I can guage where his skill level is at a lot better. In Hermes’ case, the question begs to be asked whether wins over fighters like Jamie Varner, Nathan Diaz, Spencer Fisher and Marcus Aurelio should be so easily overshadowed by wins over Hansen, Alvarez and Calvancante.

Ask yourself a question, does Aoki beat Varner, Diaz, Fisher and Aurelio? You sure about that?

9. Eddie Alvarez: With his sole defeat at lightweight coming to Aoki, Alvarez has racked up impressive wins over the likes of Tatsuya Kawajiri and Joachim Hansen, including recently being crowned as the Bellator lightweight tournament champion with a rear-naked choke victory over Toby Imada in the finals.

10. Joachim Hansen: Hansen is one of the most experienced and dangerous lightweights in the sport. Holding a recent victory over Shinya Aoki, along with one of the most well rounded arsenals in the game, Hansen would be a handful for anyone on this list.

Honorable Mentions: Gilbert Melendez, Joe Lauzon, Benson Henderson, Spencer Fisher, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Donald Cerrone, Roger Huerta, Jamie Varner (There is a one year cut-off for inactivity, Varner last fought in January of 2009)

• edub says:

Shocked. Just completely shocked. Finally someone is willing to come out and say that the Japanese lws shouldnt be ranked as high. I ve been waiting forever for this for a long time.(Im clapping in front of my computer). I gotta keep him somewhere in the top 5 though.
    1. BJ
    2. Kenny
    3. Aoki
    4. Gray
    5. Diego
    6. Alvarez
    7. Edgar
    8. Sherk
    9. Kawajiri
    10. Joe Stevenson

Yea that sounds about right.

• David Andrest says:

edub, I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you.

the one that has always made me wonder was J.Z. , I never understood how he could be ranked anywhere. Good prospect, no wins over anyone that will put your name in the top 15.

• edub says:

David Andrest: I’m just curious as to why you would feel like you had to keep him in the top 5?

• Makington says:

I actually agree completely Cory, except I would probably have Diego higher, but I see why you didn’t. I thin come December we will be seeing Diego quite a bit higher on this list 😉

Also, FINALLY people are starting to put Gray Maynard up near the top. I don’t know if I would put Aoki as low as 7 but I completely believe he would be absolutely spanked if he were to ever come to the UFC. I am confused as to how Joe Stevenson didn’t even make an honourable mention. I would have him ranked 9 or 10.

• dpk says:

I agree with this list. I’ve said it a few times that most other sites are over rating the Japanese LWs, and those guys would not even be top 5 guys in UFC. Thank you for putting it out there.

• meatloaf says:

Wow I don’t even know where to begin. So I’ll just say at least you got the guy ranked #1 right, and I’ll leave it at that.

• David Andrest says:

edub:
    Dave I gotta keep him there with wins previously over Hansen, Alvarez, and Uno. WIth his only loss at lw coming in the tourney format, and to a guy who he’s beaten twice now. Add some random wins and a boring performance against Shaolin in there and I think you gotta keep him in the top 5.It could also be the year or two that Ive seen him at two that makes me think I need to keep him there. Who knows?

• edub says:

David Andrest: Fair enough for me, Honestly I tend to agree with Cory, but in fairness to the fighter, with his style at this weightclass, I’d almost consider Aoki and Sherk, Florian, Penn, Stevenson, Maynard ect… competing in a different sport. Elbows are just such a HUGE deal, though I’m not a fan of them, I just can’t see Aoki lasting with one of these guys just dropping elbows on his face as he tries to work guard.

Oh I agree whole heartedly on the elbows, and how detrimental they would be to Aoki’s game. I have Aoki ranked third, BUT the only guy I would have him favored against in regards to the rest of the top 10 would be alvarez. With or without elbows I feel everyone else on this list could stop his takedowns quite effectively.

• xtreme_machine says:

when i first saw that you put Aoki on the 8 spot i was like WTF!

but after reading it i agree with you man and i also think that he has no stand up game and would not even be able to get close none the less take down one of the UFC’s TOP level guys

he his good but a bit overrated

• nope says:

solid list…I like Aoki’s spot. After him though, I would have Huerta then Stevenson.

• hindsightufuk says:

worse thing about all this is we’ll probly never get to find out how Aoki, Kawajiri, Alvarez, Hansen, Thompson, Melendez & Gomi etc would fair against the top UFC guys.
    And that is such a damned shame

• fanoftna33 says:

Good call on Gomi Hindsight, it has been a while since he fought any top competition but I sure would like to see him fight in the us, wheather it be in Strikeforce or the ufc.

• Bullylover says:

definatley want to see gomi,alvarez,hansen, and melendez compete in the ufc eventually..Plenty of great matchups for these guys if they ever do make it out here.

• cocoonofhorror says:

i agree with Cory’s rankings. 😯

• fraz says:

Good arguments to back up your rankings, however one thing does stand out: Sherk over Aoki is absurd. I don’t mind Aoki being moved down the list as compared to other sites but Sherk needs to be relegated as well.

• submit662266 says:

I agree with these rankings as well. Regarding Edgar through Sanchez, each of those guys has lost one or two recently. I think Sherk could’ve been one or two spots lower. I know Diego is new to the division, but with victories over top guys in bigger division, I think he belongs 1-2 spots further up.

• Ronin says:

mine are

Lightweight
    1. B.J. Penn
    2. Shinya Aoki
    3. Eddie Alvarez
    4. Kenny Florian
    5. Gray Maynard
    6. Frankie Edgar
    7. Sean Sherk
    8. Diego Sanchez
    9. Josh Thomson
    10. Tyson Griffin

• shotokai_ says:

Congratulations Cory, you hit the nail smack bang in the middle of its head with your dissection of why everyone should get their genitalia out of Aoki’s overcrowded anus.

I’ve been waiting for someone to step up, risk being called a UFC nuthugger (yeah, jeez, it hurts) and tell everyone exactly how it really f*cking is when it comes to lightweights in MMA.

Its been a while coming, but now it has, I feel somewhat liberated.

• shotokai_ says:

fraz: Good arguments to back up your rankings, however one thing does stand out: Sherk over Aoki is absurd.I don’t mind Aoki being moved down the list as compared to other sites but Sherk needs to be relegated as well.

• meatloaf says:

shotokai_:

OK now use your same logic go back to the sherdog fight finder and look up Gomi’s record of opponents he’s beaten and tell me why he’s not ranked if we’re using your logic that is, because nobody has more quality wins at lightweight over the course of their career than Gomi, but guess what that’s not how you should determine rankings right now, and the reality is Sherk looked like shit in his fight against Frank Edgar.

• meatloaf: OK now use your same logic go back to the sherdog fight finder and look up Gomi’s record of opponents he’s beaten and tell me why he’s not ranked

Because his last relevant win (if you want to even consider Ishida that) was almost 3 years ago and he’s 3-2-1 (should be 3-3) since then?

• mulefloyd says:

Wow! It’s about time. I will freely admit that I’ve thought this site has shown a prejudice against the UFC but finally someone gets the rankings of the “japan” LWs about right.

• sexy-yama says:

you got the number 1 guy right yeah, but the rest kinda blow, bit biased i rekon but your entitled to your opinion, id have aoiki higher considering his record and activity

• fraz says:

shotokai_: How is it in anyway absurd? Do something for me, type in Sean Sherk into Google. Yeah, this is hi-tech sh*t. Do the same thing for Shinya Aoki. Then click on something called Sherdog Fight Stats, not sure if you will have heard of it. And compare their records. And tell me exactly what the f*ck is absurd.Oh I can’t bare the wait, I’ll do it for you. Sherk has wins over Griffin, Franca, Florian at 155. And two wins over Parisyan and a win over Diaz at 170. With his only career losses at 155 coming to undisputed champ, and not to mention highly ranked p4p superstar, BJ Penn, and to Frankie Edgar; who’s ranked at 4 on this list. His only other two career losses came to Hughes and GSP, both at 170, and both when they were beating everyone at that point in their respective careers.Now put your personal and short sighted hatred for Sherk to the side for one moment, and retract your ironically absurd comment. It could, possibly, be argued by someone much more intellectual and knowledgeable than yourself that perhaps Aoki could at a similar level to Sherk in the LW rankings, perhaps even above – I personally strongly disagree – but to proclaim Sherks position above him as some sort of absurdity, implying that Aoki, regardless of his record, standard of competition faced, experience, devastating losses etc, should be above Sherk by default is absolutely and completely moronic. Good day Sir.

Calm down, Sean. I’m starting to think you are juicing again.

• Cory Brady says:

mulefloyd:

Prejudice against the UFC? Seriously? Like 90% of what we report is UFC news, if we reported anymore UFC news we may as well change our name to UFC2.com.

But thanks for the kind words on the rankings.

• edub says:

meatloaf: because nobody has more quality wins at lightweight over the course of their career than Gomi

BJ and Gomi are neck and neck for quality wins at lw. Gomi-Pulver, Sakurai, Ishida, Kawajiri…those are probably his best ones.
    BJ-Gomi(prime), Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Uno, Thomas…Probably his best. Id go with BJ but its a toss up.

• meatloaf says:

Sergio Hernandez:

• meatloaf: Apparently you missed the point, but if you feel better thinking you’ve corrected me go ahead and keep on thinking that.

I do feel better, thanks!

Notice the A) criteria in ranking is RECENT activity in the weight class.

• meatloaf says:

Sergio Hernandez:
    I do feel better, thanks!And my point is still valid because Gomi’s wins were foooooorever ago while Sherk’s and Aoki’s are still relatively fresh thus more relevant.What, are you gonna rank Mark Coleman as a top 10 heavyweight because he has wins over Frye, Severn, and Igor under his belt?Notice the A) criteria in ranking is RECENT activity in the weight class.

No dude you did miss the point and if you shut your ego down a little and read my post carefully and read the one I was replying to you’d see the guy was saying it was insane basically to rank Sherk behind Aoki because Sherk’s had the better career, and my point was if you’re basing rankings on whose had the better career Gomi would be ranked, but the rankings aren’t a career based list.
    So you making a wise ass remark about ranking Mark Coleman are unknowingly agreeing with me while wanting to argue with me at the same time. Get it?

You also are so eager to argue when you in fact have no clue what you’re talking about because Gomi’s last win was in May against a very good Takashi Nakakura who was the Shooto lightweight champ when he knocked him out. Maybe you’re one of these people who might think Nakakura is shit because he’s not fighting in the UFC but he’s not.

Next time you’re out to pick a fight online with someone make sure you know what you’re arguing about. Otherwise find a new hobby.

• Everytime I see BJ at the top of this list my first reaction is to go “WTF!?!”, then I realize he has dominated the LW division. He doesn’t lose at LW, only at WW. Had BJ never went up to fight at WW I bet we would all still be saying he is P4P best, or atleast top 2 or 3. Crazy how a couple of losses at a higher weight have hurt his legacy.

• Makington says:

Well it wasn’t just his losses at Welterweight so much as he looked just terrible doing them.

I personally hope he never weighs more than 155 pounds again.

• edub says:

meatloaf: You also are so eager to argue when you in fact have no clue what you’re talking about because Gomi’s last win was in May against a very good Takashi Nakakura who was the Shooto lightweight champ when he knocked him out. Maybe you’re one of these people who might think Nakakura is shit because he’s not fighting in the UFC but he’s not

And here’s where the argument turns into “Your defending the UFC becuase you are a Mark” or whatever the term is. Takashi Nakakura is good but top 30 in the world he is not.

• meatloaf says:

edub:

• edub says:

meatloaf: LOL. Good to see of all the points I made about how full of shit his argument is that the UFC comment touched a nerve with people. I guess I should’ve left it out so no one focused on just that, but to bad because if that little comment bothers someone chances are you’re a huge UFC nuthugger.Honestly the whole thing should’ve never even started because this Sergio is basically arguing my point for me and just doesn’t get it, but whatever.And for the record say Nakakura is ranked 40th so what the difference between guys ranked 30 or 40?Nothing they’re basically all on the same skill level when you start going that high into rankings.Bottom line he’s a quality fighter. Who gives a shit if he’s ranked 33 or 22? What difference does it make.

Ok dude I dont wanna argue with you considering i just agreed with something you said on the other page. But here goes…

Sergio is not arguing your point. He made a better point than you did. Thats why your basically running around your whole argument to try and make him look like the wrong party. Which he simply isn’t. You compare Gomi who (I dont have the fight finder in front of me but) hasnt beaten anyone in the top ten in basically three years. Has a horrible loss to Sergei Golyaev(which I thought he won), losses to quality fighters in Kitaoka and Diaz, and wins over two guys who arent top level competition. Sherk who holds losses to GSP, BJ Penn, and Frankie Edgar. All top 10 guys im sure you know. And wins over Hermes Franca( Who was coming off wins against Spencer Fisher, and Jamie Varner), Tyson Griffin, and Kenny Florian. To compare the two at this stage of their career is just not valid.

Your right in the fact that you should of left it out of your argument, but you couldnt. It was part of a point you were trying to make that you know more than him about mma. To basically call him a ufc nuthugger because you were trying to make a mediocre fighter look better than he really is.

And you act like something hit a nerve for me to call you out on a bad point you made. Your guys whole argument was between Sherk and Gomi. Yet you for some reason felt the need to show your vast knowledge of mma and say he didnt know Nakakura was because he wasnt in the UFC. Maybe he just didnt think he was that good.

• meatloaf:

How am I arguing your point for you? The first argument shotokai made was that Sherk had wins over Franca, Florian, and Griffin. Those three wins came in the last three years. Aoki has beaten Alvarez and went 2-1 against Hansen in that time.

• meatloaf says:

Sergio Hernandez:
    How am I arguing your point for you?The first argument shotokai made was that Sherk had wins over Franca, Florian, and Griffin.Those three wins came in the last three years.Aoki has beaten Alvarez and went 2-1 against Hansen in that time.Granted, shotokai added some extraneous info about Sherk’s career that isn’t relevant and you took that and warped it into some argument that Gomi should be included too?The last time Gomi had a win over ANYONE sniffing the Top 10 was three years ago against Ishida but really, it was four years ago against Mach.Someone thought it was ridiculous that Sherk was ranked over Aoki, shotokai argued his case and marked out a bit for Sherk, and you somehow brought Gomi into the mix.

I’ve lost enough brain cells trying to reason with you.

• meatloaf says:

edub:
    Ok dude I dont wanna argue with you considering i just agreed with something you said on the other page.But here goes…Sergio is not arguing your point. He made a better point than you did. Thats why your basically running around your whole argument to try and make him look like the wrong party. Which he simply isn’t. You compare Gomi who (I dont have the fight finder in front of me but) hasnt beaten anyone in the top ten in basically three years. Has a horrible loss to Sergei Golyaev(which I thought he won), losses toquality fighters in Kitaoka and Diaz, and wins over two guys who arent top level competition. Sherk who holds losses to GSP, BJ Penn, and Frankie Edgar. All top 10 guys im sure you know. And wins over Hermes Franca( Who was coming off wins against Spencer Fisher, and Jamie Varner), Tyson Griffin, and Kenny Florian. To compare the two at this stage of their career is just not valid.Shotokai made a bunch of points on why Sherk is better than Aoki. You chose to only look at the career argument, and you ran with it. Thats kinda what the beginning of your post argues against me as doing. Well I dropped to your level Im sorry.We are talking about top competition here. Top 30, top 40 top 50 is probably all the same you are right. But thats the point Im trying to make. Your saying its a quality win for Gomi just because he is an ok fighter. Its not.

Do you have any idea how many fighters in the world are fighting at 154 or 155lbs.? A lot right?

I really hope Gomi’s not blowing smoke about coming west to fight but I think he is to get more money from one of the big Japanese promotions because he’d beat the shit out of nearly every lightweight in the UFC aside from BJ and Gray Maynard.

• edub says:

meatloaf: You don’t think beating someone who was a Shooto champ and probably one of the best 30 or 40 lightweights in the world is a quality win?

I personally dont think so. This is the fromer best lw in the world were talkin about here. Not some random fighter in the top ten or twenty.

To your last point I dont agree, but I would love to see him try. If the old Gomi showed up I think he would have a shot, but he is a shell of his former self.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Here we go again. Aoki has not been allowed to fight Florian, Penn or other UFC fighters. Just like Florian has not fought JZ, Hansen, Sakurai, Gomi etc. UFC BIAS AGAIN. Over and over you say these guys are worse but you have NOTHING to back up what you say. It is not your fault, because of the way the UFC stops fighters from fighting out of the UFC I don’t blame you for being sucked into the hype. I mean it is impossible that Aoki can be ranked highly if he hasn’t been in the UFC…right? but it is entirely possible that Edgar can be ranked highly even though he hasn’t fought any dream guys…right?. Seee what you are doing now. Bias.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

1, Penn
    2, Aoki
    3, Florian
    4, Maynard
    5, Edgar
    6, Sakurai
    7, Sherk
    8, Alverez
    9, Thomson
    10, Griffin

Hansen, Kawajiri, Gomi, Melendez and JZ get a mention too. I can understand all of these fighters being included but Sanchez has only fought twice at LW and if you only need to win twice in a division to become top then there are a lot of top ten fighters out there.

• neijia says:

FightTrends.com: Everytime I see BJ at the top of this list my first reaction is to go “WTF!?!”, then I realize he has dominated the LW division.He doesn’t lose at LW, only at WW.Had BJ never went up to fight at WW I bet we would all still be saying he is P4P best, or atleast top 2 or 3.Crazy how a couple of losses at a higher weight have hurt his legacy.

Lol, yes he looked like crap against superstar WW St. Pierre. However, he did well at 191 against superstar LHW Machida at 220.

So Penn has moved up and fought and lost to the #1 WW *by far* and has ALSO fought and lost to the #1 LHW *by far*. Losing to GSP and Machida when he should be at 155 — should almost mean his status INCREASES, not decreases. So he lost to these stars, but afaik he is the only division #1 who has fought TWO other division #1’s (and p4p greats), going up one and two weight classes. Afaik we cannot say that about GSP, Silva, Machida, Fedor, Lesnar, or even multiple weight class champ Couture. His only other two losses were to Hughes at WW and Pulver at LW, so he really only has one loss at his weight class. He definitely deserves being in top 4 p4p.

• IITrueMMAFanII says:

I think you have asked the wrong question when making your analogy.

I believe the question should be, would Joachim Hansen, Eddie Alvarez, or “JZ” Calvancante beat Jamie Varner, Nathan Diaz, Spencer Fisher, and Marcus Aurelio?

You could also ask if Aoki would beat Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar, or Tyson Griffin? This would be a more accurate way to compare Aoki to Franca.