5 Oz. of Pain’s Cory Brady on Heavy.com: Mike Wessel Pulls No Punches

Mike WesselFiveOuncesofPain.com‘s very own managing editor Cory Brady has recently been acquired through Heavy.com as a feature writer for the site’s sports department.

Brady’s most recent column over at Heavy is one that is sure to interest many of the dedicated 5 Oz’ers that have had the opportunity to keep up on Mike Wessel’s always candid TUF 10 blog entitled, “The Juggernaut Diaries“.

In a revealing conversation stretching near an hour in length, Wessel spoke with Brady about a variety of topics, including how the house was transformed into a spin-off of “The Lord of the Flies” when it became apparent that Zak Jensen was the weakest link in the predatory food chain.

“We described it as Lord of the Flies, like the book, or the movie,” revealed Wessel. “He was our “Piggy”, like in the book “Lord of the Flies”, because to all of the fighters he was just so obsolete, and so nonexistent that we didn’t care about his feelings. In a normal situation we might not care for him, but we wouldn’t be rude to him.”

When the conversation turned to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and his seemingly nonexistent coaching abilities, Wessel was brutally outspoken in regards to Jackson’s treatment of his fighters following their recent defeats at the house, stating, “Demico went in there and surprised a lot of people, and lost, but who cares. Everybody loses. What did you do after your last loss Rampage? You went on a fucking cocaine rage and stayed up all damn night before you were driving your monster truck with a big logo on it through white fucking suburbia. Running from the cops where they had to shoot out your fucking tires. Then Dana had to come down and bail your ass out and send you to England so the media wouldn’t eat your ass apart, so you would still have a fucking career. So I think Demico is handling his loss perfectly.”

To read the full interview where Wessel goes on to discuss a variety of other subjects, including being present during the infamous “Kimbo pulling out his strap at ATT” conversation, CLICK HERE.

• fanoftna33 says:

That was a great excerpt, I still think the ufc needs to institute a mandatory suspension policy across the board for all fighters who get arrested, that includes guys like Anthony Johnson and Rampage, not just Juni Browning. Guys get suspended for 6-9 months for drugs like steriods and other guys get duis or beat up thier ex girlfriends and the ufc does nothing. That kind of misconduct deserves some kind of repercussions not letting the fighters off the hook simply because they make the ufc money. There are tons of fights that can make the ufc money, hell start throwing more than just Franklin in catch weight fights for starters but give these guys equal treatment when it comes to arrests.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Awesome quote from Wessel on how Quittin Jackson deals with a loss versus Demico: “I think Demico is handling his loss perfectly.” Wessel made many enemies with those statements, but many, many of us agree wholeheartedly with him.

And by extension, maybe the UFC is learning the lesson as fanoftna says above. I hope they learned and wouldn’t do the same thing in retrospect with Jackson. That whole scenario ended much better than it should have. It’s amazing that it never had the toxic fallout it deserved. The UFC dodged a bullet, I hope they don’t reload the gun.

• JollyDV says:

Congrats Cory, and that was a great interview. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Angry Mike says:

I’m real conflicted about whether its UFC’s place to discipline fighters for extra-curricular (outside the sport) issues. UFC is a business, not an organization like the Boy Scouts that’s devoted to developing persons of character. Imo, UFC can legitimately say that a fighter’s personal life, including personal mistakes, are not the org.’s obligation to address unless and until the org. is detrimentally affected. There are a number of organizations including State Commissions and law enforcement who’s purpose is to deal with extra-curricular issues.

• Angry Mike says:

And by the way, congrats, Cory.

• Bullylover says:

yeah great interview.really looking forward to seeing mike fight.I give mike a lot of props for going through tuf even though he already had a ufc contrac.

• hindsightufuk says:

good lookin Cory

• hindsightufuk says:

wheres my fucking t-shirt!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

I havent got mine either Hindsight.

• Cory Brady says:

lol hindsight, shirts are on the way out. I had some…. technical difficulties getting ahold of them (along with some of my other belongings) after moving to a new address in a rush. I’m shipping them out free of charge because of the hassle, even to you, way the F out in the the UK, haha.

Thanks for the support guys

• edub says:

Man after the blog and now this interview Im definately rooting for Wessel. I hope he smashes his way to the finals.
    Well either him or BigBaby. You gotta root for a guy whos a florist.

• Makington says:

I thought that little rant on Rampage was just brilliant. I used to really like Rampage. He was one of my top 5 fighters, and I thought he was just funny. Now each episode I’m hating him more and more, and Rashad is actually going up in my books. He hasn’t been a cocky douche at all this season the way Rampage has. I also noticed that Rampage’s jokes are all the same basically. He does a bad breath joke 10 times an episode

Quinton is coming off every episode extremely fake, and makes it genuinely seem like he only cares about himself. I basically believe what King Mo was saying about him even though I don’t like either of them.

Here’s hoping Rashad knocks out Rampage at some point in the future.

BTW, congrats Cory, and good luck Mike!!!

• Angry Mike says:

Rampage looks bad in TUF because he’s out of is element, and I think he’s even admitted it. He’s a fighter (or at least used to be one), not a coach. Good coaches usually aren’t gifted athletes, and gifted athletes typically don’t make good coaches. So Rampage gets upset with his team’s lack of success, behaves badly, and doesn’t have what it takes to fix the problem. The only criticism I have is that he took a job as a coach that he knew he wasn’t qualified to do.