Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller on tap for UFC 109

Demian MaiaDemian Maia and Dan Miller will be looking to place themselves back in the winners circle following defeats in the Octagon when the pair square off during UFC 109.

Both fighters have been approached about the possibility of the bout, and at least one has verbally agreed to the potential match-up according to a recent report on MMAJunkie.com.

While no date or venue for the bout has been announced at this time, the two are expected to meet at UFC 109, which is tentatively expected for February 6 in Las Vegas.

Maia was recently handed his first loss as a professional courtesy of Nate Marquardt knockout at UFC 102 after putting together an unblemished record of 11-0, with five consecutive submission victories with the UFC over the likes of Jason MacDonald, Nate Quarry and Chael Sonnen.

Miller is in a similar situation, having suffered his first UFC defeat recently to Chael Sonnen during UFC 98 after stringing together three consecutive wins in the Octagon over Rob Kimmons, Matt Horwich and Jake Rosholt.

• Angry Mike says:

I’d like to see this one. Maia’s bjj is cool to watch, and Miller is a tough guy. Most of his wins have been by submission, so the question is whether he can beat Maia with bjj, which is also Maia’s strength. I don’t think so; Miller will have to rely on his striking as his primary offense. I’d give the edge to Maia.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

• MMApride19 says:

MMA-LOGIC: Dan if you want to win this…JUST STAND UP!. Because Maia has absolutely no stand up to speak of and a questionable chin. For 99 out of 100 fighters in the MW division, to beat Maia all they have to do is stop the takedown. It may be harder than it sounds but keep it on the feet and you are 90% of the way to beating this guy.

Lol how do you know he has a questionable chin? Man… that punch he got caught with landed flush… and it was full power (by a very powerful hitter)… with his momentum going into it ASWELL. Its not his chin that is questionable… its his stand up skills that are questionable. Anyone would have either been KOed or serverly rocked by that punch if it landed where it did. Maia made a really stupid mistake by rushing in and performing a roundhouse kick straight away. It was perfectly countered by Marquardt. I think Maia can be VERY dominant, he just needs to be smart. The more experience he gets in the octagon, against TOP guys, the better he will become. I see him being a dominant force sometime inthe future. Think about it… its always the guys that are GREAT at one aspect of MMA that usually excel and become champions.. Lesnar excels at wrestling. Anderson Silva excels with his Muay Thai. Lyoto Machida excels with his Karate/stand up skills. GSP is actually the most well rounded out of the lot i think, but his wrestling is still his strongest part of his game and superior to pretty much anyone he faces. And BJ Penn has extremely accurate and powerful strikes. I could go on with some top contenders aswell, but ill leave it at just the champs for now.

And then in general, the more well rounded guys with above average skills in everything… tend not to do as great. Because when they fight a fighter that excels at one thing… and that fighter who excels takes the fight into there own game.. it spells game over very quickly. And its the way its always going to be at the very top of ladder. To be at the top, you really MUST be truely world class at one aspect.. Damien Maia is. And its BJJ. If he can become smarter when fighting these tough strikers… time his takedowns perfectly… He could easily be a dominant force within the UFC.

• Makington says:

MMApride19:

*end rant*

• MMApride19 says:

Makington:
    I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous. All of the champions are well rounded as hell. GSP is just as good a striker as he is a wrestler, and that is why is he is so good. Lyoto and Anderson are just as good at BJJ as they are with striking. In fact, we saw with Brock Lesnar a before and after of how you HAVE to be well rounded. He got caught in a knee bar that my grandma would have gotten out of, and that was at the point where he had obvious strengths and weaknesses. After he worked on his game for a year and a half, Mir had absolutely no chance at beating Lesnar, he was just too well rounded by then. And with BJ Penn, his strength if he had to have one would be his jiu jitsu. He is just so damn well rounded that people think he’s a boxer. I agree what you said about Maia being caught, but if you think Maia will be a force using just one great strength, then you will be sorely mistaken. I don’t necessarily think his jaw is bad, but if he can’t pick up his striking to where his jiu jitsu is, he will never be a good fighter.THAT, is why I’m picking Miller to win this fight. Miller knows what he has to do, and he knows that he only really has to look out for one thing, whereas Maia has to look out for Miller’s entire arsenal.*end rant*

Hmmm you may have misinterpreted what i tried to say. I mean the best fighters EXCEL at a specific aspect. I didnt say they sucked ass at everything else. Yes, your very right, they are all very well rounded. Anderson Silva is a BJJ blackbelt.. so is Lyoto Machida… Do they use that often to win fights? No. Why? Because they are so much superior to most when using there striking skills. There striking skills are so superior they very rarely need to use there BJJ. I did not mean it as if they wernt well rounded, im simply going on how they are generallhy winning there fights. You cant possibly say that Machida and Silva are AS GOOD on the ground as they are striking..? They are not. They rarely have to use there ground game. They are constantly using there striking game.. because they OUT CLASS most of their opponents there. GSP is rarely going to use his striking… because he is so good on the ground. His wrestling is that good infact, he can take any of his opponents down at will. If he would have stood with Alves.. he most probebly would have got KOed.

Im not trying to say the top fighters are not well rounded. Im saying they are world class at one specific art. And that art is how they are winning there fights. They rarely have to use anything else. Well they have to defensively, to get out of situations and prevent situations, but they rarely use them offensively.

And Maia… i mean i think he will be great because he can only improve his striking.. he isnt going to get any worse is he? If he adapts his game.. fights smart… and is patient in getting the fight to the ground.. he will be dominant. Im going to use Liddell as an example. Yes he could wrestle.. but he was so dominant when striking.. he didnt need to. He simply used his wrestling defensively, to keep the fight standing. If Maia can use striking as a distraction to set takedowns up, he can be very successful.

• edub says:

I dont understand anyone picking Dan Miller here.

Maia has gotten high level wrestlers Nate Quarry, Chael Sonnen, and Ed Herman to the ground with relative ease(Maybe not Ed, but he tapped him anyways). Miller is very good, and his best aspect is his submissions. Its just a really bad matchup here for Dan IMHO.

Maia sub 1st or 2nd rd.

• Makington says:

My problem edub is I’m biased as hell. The Miller brothers are two fighters I have been following for years and have always respected. Miller doesn’t have the jiu jitsu that Maia has, obviously, but I do believe he is more well rounded. He has very tight stand up, great cardio, and I think he is good enough at wrestling for him not to let himself be bullied around.

But yeah, I’ve had my eye on both of those brothers for years, and accordingly have picked them to win every fight they’ve been in. Their records are deceiving, both brothers are extremely well rounded.

And to MMAPride, yah I guess I took your comment the wrong way. There’s really not much I can say about your argument, I agree. I believe Maia can be a great fighter, but I don’t think he trains smart enough for it. He seems like he relies on his jiu jitsu a little too much. If I were him, I wouldn’t do even one training of jiujitsu, and focus solely on his striking, kind of like what Kos has been doing.

• mu_shin says:

As a big fan of the technical ground game, Maia is a favorite. I was extremely surprised at the outcome of the Marquardt fight, and agree with comments above that Maia made a serious error and paid with a crushing knockout. If Demian takes that experience and learns from it, adapting his approach to dealing with powerful strikers, there is a good chance that he can avoid that kind of mistake in the future. BJJ specialists are not only submission experts; if you can’t avoid the big punch and take your opponent to the ground, most of your arsenal is nullified. While there are techniques like the flying arm bar or the upright guillotine Renzo Gracie pulled on Pat Miletich that can be applied from a standing position, most BJJ techniques are applied from the mat, where Maia excels, and where he needs to take his opponents to take advantage of his strengths.

Dan Miller is another in the long line of athletic wrestlers who are coming in to MMA and proving the strength of a wrestling base. With seven submission victories in eleven wins, and never having been subbed or knocked out, Miller will be a tough opponent for Demian Maia. It may oversimplify to say all he needs to do is stand up to beat Maia, but Maia’s only pro loss is a standup knockout, so if I were training Miller, I’d certainly be working my fighter hard on the striking game.

• fanoftna33 says:

Miller got crushed by Sonnen, and Maia completly spanjed Sonnen, so I will go with Maia by ud here as Miller has much better Jiu Jitsu than Sonnen but worse wrestling. I think Maia will control this fight from start to finish.

• Makington says:

Psh, Miller didn’t get crushed by Sonnen, he got blanketed by him. I give Sonnen all the credit for the win, but it looked like I was watching Jon Fitch out there.

• fanoftna33 says:

Your right about not getting crushed by Sonnen, I dont think he was hurt at all, but severly outclassed by a great wrestler for 15 min, a great wrestler who got taken down and submitted by Maia in about 2 min.

• Makington says:

Well the takedown that Maia got on him was more pure talent by Maia, and it completely caught Sonnen off guard. It was an absolutely brilliant takedown, and he landed in such a position that Sonnen really had no chance.

• edub says:

I actually thought it was Dans own fault. He spent so much energy in the first round squeezing for that guillotine that I think he was just gassed for the rest of the fight. I think the idea got into his head that he was gonna be able to sub Sonnen pretty easily, so he didnt mind being on the bottom more than usual.