The Juggernaut Diaries: Mike Wessel’s TUF 10 Blog; Episode 5

Mike WesselThe show started off showing Matt “The Snitch” Mitrione getting a whole episode dedicated to him and his “injured shoulder “.

I felt like Rashad handled his act accordingly. Rashad is a great coach and he truly cared for us like a coach should, but one thing a great coach should never put up with is a team member faking an injury or not toughing training out. Rashad really couldn’t do anything if Matt didn’t want to train but he and the other coaches made sure to put Matt in his place and try to get him over the self-pity party that Matt was attending.

Every fighter hurts and is sore. That’s why professional athletes are so highly regarded. We do what most can’t, or have the will power to push themselves through the hard times and sore shoulders. My shoulders are constantly hurting, but if I want to get better I have to ignore pain and move forward.

I am not saying to train when you’re actually hurt, but Matt would practice a portion of the time and then stop training when he didn’t want to anymore. What was humorous was when we would come back to the house he would play basketball and throw the football (with his injured shoulder) and have no problems with his “injury”. It was all an act, or a way to get more air time. It worked.

The situation with Zach Jensen has just started. I don’t really want to say much about the shower masturbation thing, but I think James said it best when he talked about how everyone in the house gets made fun of, but you have to take it and give it back.

Zach was made fun of the entire show because he would not stick up for himself. Zach is a friend of mine, and I was asked why I didn’t stand up for him. I felt that another man has no business standing up for a man that won’t defend himself. Although around the second week of his torment I had asked the other that when they were around me to not do it. It got old, and was annoying more than it was funny.

The fight between Wes Sims and Justin Wren was another great victory for team Rashad. Justin did great in the same way Roy did. Justin went in the fight knowing his grappling was far more superior and stuck to his strengths. I really did think that Wes would try to box him more and keep him at bay but Justin would not have it. When Wes would try to stay at distance, Justin would close the distance and go for the takedown.

Justin is a great fighter. He stuck to his game plan and showed that although he is the youngest fighter in the house, he has the potential to be great.

In the next couple episodes the drama with Matt continues. Matt pulls out some more crap about the fight picks, and Zach continues to be made fun. The show is starting to show how we all go from adults to children because of boredom and captivity in the house.

EDITORS NOTE: *Make sure to check out the official Juggernaut website over at MikeWessel.net

Be sure to check back in on the blogs as sometimes it may take Mike a day or two to get back to your comments, but rest assured that he’s lurking.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think I am now really looking forward to seeing “big baby” vs Mitrione. And Wes Sims looked really bad in this fight, I remember the video the ufc showed to people when he first came in of Wes powerbombing somebody, he was just a beast. What happened to him.

• edub says:

He used to have a lot of raw power. He slammed Mir out of an armbar in their first fight and he used have some pretty good wrestling. You would think he has improved from training at Hammer house for so long. His speech looked like it was a little slow on the show. Mike did he seem like he was “punchy” at all during the show. I know he’s a little crazy but he definately looked like a very weatherd fighter in the ring and on the show.

What did Wes choke out Zach with?

• TheMirth says:

Besides being the guy who commented on the (incorrect) possibility that Kimbo may have been training his ass off since EliteXC we’ve gotten no Wessel love from Spike.

Thanks for the insight, seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Did you have problems with anyone in the house? Schaub was letting on that Madsen couldn’t stand Mitrione and we’re seeing that McSweeney and Simms gave Jensen a hard time. Sounds like Mitrione may have gotten into it a little bit with everyone.

• Rich S. says:

There was an itty bitty part of me in the back of my head that was rooting for Wes.. I knew he had no hope in winning..

He may not be easy to submit, but it’s easy to get him in a submission hold.. He doesn’t have the best chin either.. On top of that, he’s pretty slow and doesn’t move very well..

In other words, he had everything BUT experience stacked against him in this fight..

It seems like he cares far more about having a crazy fight than he does about winning..

In his interview he promised Dana and the Fertittas more fights that they’ll “remember”.. He didn’t promise a title run, or a bunch of wins, but some memorable bouts..

• mu_shin says:

Was really surprised when I saw Simms had over 30 fights on his record, and had fought Mir. When they showed him in training, he looked lumbering and awkward, had no hand speed, and demonstrated little or no athleticism. In analyzing potential matchups, I’m always big on experience, but this is one case where all that experience proved totally meaningless.

Justin Wren handled himself really well against a much larger adversary, maintained great composure in his first big-time fight, and applied solid technique to shut down Wes Simms. Textbook arm triangle, and Herb Dean was right on top of the action. Great fight, and will be watching for good things to come from Wren, who might want to spend some time in the weight room if he really wants to be a modern heavyweight.

• qat says:

Rich S.:

i highly doubt that were gonna see wes sims in an ufc-octagon again..

• mwwessel90 says:

Edub,

• edub says:

mwwessel90: Edub,Wes is a good guy. But, he is a little crazy and off the wall. I dont think that he is punchy he is just naturally a goofy guy. But harmless. Wes and I got along pretty well. But I dont think that he has the skills he used to have. But, I never practiced with him not have I ever trained with him. So, I might be wrong.

Ah good to know. Thx man.

When you gettin in there man??

• mwwessel90 says:

The mirth,

When i made the comment that he could be training his ass off, I was completely wrong. I talk to Kimbo about his BJJ and ground training and he said that the time he trained was once 3 months prior and that he got arm barred and pulled his gun because he took it personal. I was in shock about a couple thing s he said.

The most shocking is that his manager does not take control of his training more and make him train in the area he needs most. The second was that he pulled a gun because he flet that the arm bar was personal and I told him that every fighter gets caught thats part of the game. If you dont get tapped in practice you need to find better training partners.

But, I dont think the people he surronds himself with care so much about his fighting career as they are with his popularity or his money/marketing appeal. I feel that if his managers cared that much about his fighting future they would force him to train on the ground more.

• David Andrest says:

Mike, 5 shows in, how do you feel about the editing of the show?

Some have said they look certain ways due to creative editing. How do you view it so far this season?

• mwwessel90 says:

So, far I feel the editing has been fair to me. But, I am sure my time is coming. Its funny to talk to some of the guys to hear when they actually said stuff in confessionals and to know they were talking about someone else. But,its reality TV and they can make us all look like saints or assholes. Its up to them cuz we all did stuff in the house that in normal life or real life we wouldn have said or did. But, there have been a couple of times I was like hold up thats not right.

• Jstew3785 says:

Mike, when do you fight man!!!???

• TheMirth says:

Thanks for the Follow up. Hope you do well and get to make the most of being on TV.