Rampage Responds to TUF backlash.

In an early morning email to his website members, now retired fighter  Quinton Jackson responds to “The Ultimate Fighter” and how he is being portrayed.

I just wanted to blog about the T.U.F. show so people can get an understanding of where I’m coming from. They edited the show to make me look like I didn’t care about my team, but as you can clearly see I was coaching against a T.U.F. show champion (Rashad) and he came from the Ultimate Fighter so he knows how to play the camera and be fake..

The behind the scenes stuff from season 7 left a real bad taste in my mouth. I was already salty about it and that was the main reason I did not want to do season 10.

Jackson  who is making his second appearance as a coach on the Spike TV reality show offered this response to those who question his coaching style.

The show is called the Ultimate Fighter, not the Ultimate Coach.

The blog post by the former champion addresses  the seasons first two fights, and Jackson’s view of what actually happened.  While during  the weekly program it does not appear as if Jackson and his team are close, Jackson finished by saying the following.

Rashad is so full of himself, even though he just got knocked the hell out by Machida. It was the worst showing of his fight career. Now that he is a one and done champion he thinks that the show is about him. It was hard for me to do this show because I know how fake Rashad is and what kind of person he is. Most of the real fans can tell too, that’s why he gets booed all the time. I liked everyone on my team and I chose my team for a number of reasons. If I could do it over I would choose all the same guys, except next time I WILL choose the camera man. My team and I had great chemistry and we got along great. Rashad and his team didn’t even like each other. The only reason I’m blogging this is that I want everyone to know what’s really up. The show is for entertainment and it could be edited in many different ways, which doesn’t always tell the true story.

To read the full blog visit, Rampage-Jackson.com

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Rampage a lot and I think he has one of if not the best personality out there, but why does it seem like every season the coach or fighter who comes out looking the worst always comes up with the “it is a reality show and they have edited it to make me look bad”. The guys know it is a reality show going in so why does editing surprise anybody.

• Austin says:

Rampage is so tired and last week. He needs to shut the f up and move on with his life. If he’s retired, then he needs to gtfo the fight game.

• moosebaby02 says:

the only reason i watcht the show is cause of rampage. far as im conceard its “The Rampge Tuff 10”. if everyone can remember tuff 7 rampage was the same way with his coaching except for not tending to his fighter after they lost ( bad form page no matter what you say). I love the guy and i really hope that page and evans will get it on some time soon cause it will be great to see who will have it that night.

• Lord Faust says:

If Rampage is so concerned about what UFC viewers think of him, maybe he should come back and fight. Otherwise, he’s been through the TUF ‘editing room’ before; he cannot feign ignorance this time. He is obviously egocentric enough to worry, constantly, what people think of him. You would figure that someone who used to get paid to get punched in the face would have thicker skin.

Rampage is spending way too much time worrying about what people think of his actions instead of focusing on the actions themselves. One of those two things is within his control, the other is not. In short: QQ some more Rampage.

• 3OAM says:

“fan your right about right but knowing its a reality show and not have ANY control of editing is two different things”

Are you trying to say Rampage has control over editing? Dunno what you’re trying to say, but an adept editor can make someone say anything. I’m not saying its a good excuse for rampage. I don’t think, even on the heels of his “retirement,” that they’re trying to vilify him, but ratings are the bottom line and stranger things have happened than someone getting manipulated through crafty editing.

• dpk says:

Not all great fighters make great trainers and talent evaluators. Rampage falls into this category. Is it editing that shows him walking away from his team members after they lose, or is it editing when he shows up late and doesn’t help warm up his fighter. I guess it is also editing that his game plans, and advice revolve around “Knock him out,” and “get up.” It doesn’t make him any less of a fighter, just not a trainer. I wonder if Rampage saw this coming, and if that had anything to do with him taking the movie and “retiring”.

• fanoftna33 says:

I meant editing by the shows producers, not by the fighters or coaches.

• BigDave says:

I pity this fool!

• David Andrest says:

BigDave: I pity this fool!

nice!

• moosebaby02 says:

I understand what your saying fan and 30AM I wasnt saying rampage has any control at all. None of them have any control except for the editor. Some things cant be controlled when it comes to what is put on each episode. Its all up to the editor.
    Editing has nothing to do with bad coaching or bad form on pages part when it comes to him not even going into the cage for the last two fights.
    The excuses will always be editing when it comes to someone looking bad on the show the only shitty part is that we will never know cause we were never there.
    For all we know the first set of episodes were pulled from the final cut and re-edited to make rampage look even worse as soon as he announced his retirement and his frustration towards Dana. We will never know but I highly doubt it.
    Frustration or not rampage and his coach’s are acting like babies and editing has nothing to do with it. As for not caring about the fighters on his team editing or not I have not seen anything to prove he does or doesnt except for him not tending to his fighter after they lost.
    Sorry for not making it clear last time trying to type at work with out getting caught

• Angry Mike says:

Rampage is playing the pr game very well. TUF gave him lots of profile, and his blogging and public statements are perpetuating it. I don’t know if he’s clever enough to intentionally maximize his exposure, but whether by accident or by intent he’s keeping himself in the spotlight as he embarks on an acting career.

• sexy-yama says:

i pity the fool ,awww yeah!!!!!!!!! tru wat he sez but he still comes off as a worst coach than shamroch and a douche, thats bad kekekek

• sexy-yama says:

his a lonewolf selfish and greedy, but who isnt

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Rampage had some of the best comments after the fight last night about the ref lifting up Wes sims arm to check on him. That was just classic Rampage and frankly some very funny shit. Also a pretty good job by the ref to stop that fight so quickly.

• Guy Gaduois says:

I didn’t like Rashad’s style/showmanship on the season of TUF when he was on; Same for his showmanship in subsequent wins in the octagon.

But he talked to Quiton on last night’s show man to man. He didn’t say stuff to the camera and then not say it to Quiton. Everything Rashad says about Quit, he then says it right to his face. I do believe that Rashad would do that Fred Sanford dance right on your front doorstep after he beat you, too. He earns his brash showmanship.
    As I see it, Rashad’s a stand up in your face guy. He said Quit needed to give more of himself to his fighters and then said the same thing to the “real” coach, Tiki. That was brass.

Quit says its about self control, not getting into the cage after a fighter loses “so he won’t go to prison” If only he’d used that self control about binging on energy drinks, the world would be a safer place. And the Fertittas wouldn’t have had to post Quiton’s bail money.

It’s a man’s world, Quit. Deal. Scoreboard.

• xtreme_machine says:

Agree with Rampage

It takes hearth to owin a fight and he can’t train that

• This is driving me up the wall.

“…so he (Rashad) knows how to play the camera and be fake.”

Isn’t it ironic…don’t ya think? (Thanks Alanis!)

Here’s a guy who has “retired” – and for what?

To act…in other words, “to play the camera and be fake.”

Rampage doesn’t have the slightest clue about two things: 1) coaching and 2) how a TV show works.

The producers and editors are showing you things that were captured on tape. There obviously had been several examples of how Rampage isolated his own fighters, especially after a loss. Other fighters recognized it; Rashad’s team recognized it; and so did the producers of the show. Therefore, other fighters talked about it; Rashad and his coaches talked about it; and the producers “talked” about it by deciding to go with that angle.

On the contrary, if there were “golden” moments of Rampage giving incredible advice to his fighters that directly led to their winning, they’d show that too so they could play up how great of a coach he is.

Fact is, that doesn’t exist. What does exist is what we all see. Which is, when it counts the most – after each loss piles up – Rampage is nowhere to be found.

Like it or not, he’s a coach on this show. He may not be the best coach to teach fighters how to train or give in-fight advice, but you don’t need to be a good coach to be there for fighters after multiple defeats.

• Angry Mike says:

I think my favorite quote from Rampage was during Sims’ fight. He’s slowly being choked out by an arm triangle and you can hear Rampage telling him he needs to get out of it. Really? That’s some solid coaching. I bet ol’ Wes wouldn’t have known that (assuming he was still conscious) until Rampage told him.

• edub says:

Hes saying you know how to get out of this. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt here considering theyve probably gone over that escape before.

I was very surprised to see Sims get choked out so easily by the arm triangle. In his second fight with Mir, Frank had him in a very deep triangle choke and Sims didnt go out(although Frank didnt switch to side control when he had the choke in.

• Vogairian says:

I used to like Rampage, but his act has gotten old. He can try to blame it on the editors, but they didn’t put his team together and they aren’t the ones who got him to walk off on his fighters and leave them in the octagon after they lost. It was disappointing to see Rampage storm off and Rashad and his team go in there and help out the guys who had just lost. I came into this show on Rampage’s side, but I think I’ve jumped ship. That said, he’s still the quote machine of the show.

Also Rashad may have gotten ktfo’d by Lyoto, but at least he didn’t duck him when given the match.

• bigbadjohn says:

I also used to like Rampage but I must say the more you get to know him the less you like him. I liked the old Pride Rampage before I knew what kind of dumbass he was once he opened his mouth. The editting can’t control how intellectual you come off as. Rashad has intelligence. He is a better coach. So, I don’t like Page as a coach or really as a person but he can sure as hell chuck a mean pair of fists. And that can make up for anything in the ring. This fight must happen.

• BigDave says:

• Rich S. says:

I used to hate Rashad.

I was infuriated when I watched his fight with Murphy (I believe that was his last name) on TUF 2.. He had so many opportunities to take initiative and finish the fight, but his wild and stupid antics seemed to be his first priority…

I was so mad after that, I vowed to root against Rashad in all of his future bouts.. Then he went on to dominate Jardine and Whitehead, the season’s picks to win, which just added to my anger..

Since then I’ve realized that he’s an amazing fighter and really a class act.. Sure, he talks and taunts in his fights, but I think he’s just an emotional fighter.. I know I would be if I was always the underdog, and always had something to prove..

So, on this season, the tables have turned for me.. Now, I find my self cringing at Rampage’s coaching, and commending Rashad’s pre and post fight habits..

Rampage can preach all he wants about how this show is “The Ultimate Fighter” and not “The Ultimate Coach”.. But, the fact of the matter is, he signed up TO BE A COACH.. His coaching is so embarrassingly bad I won’t even go into that right now.. But, in a nutshell, it consists of him yelling “Get out of the submission!”, “Knock him out!”, and “You gotta win this!!”..

To come out and try to turn attention away from himself, and say that Rashad is a fake, is just down right annoying.. Because the bottom line is, every week, we see Rampage coach his fighters horribly, and then whine about being cursed when they lose.. And worse, he neglects them.. He doesn’t know it, but that’s probably scarring some of the young guys with little experience.. Meanwhile, Rashad and his assistant coaches are doing a great job in the training aspect, and helping the fighters with mental preparation.. That’s aside from all the great cornering they do..

This is really a shame because there’s a couple of guys on Rampage’s team that I would really like to see succeed (Specifically, Marcus Jones), but there is NO WAY for them to reach their potential under Rampage’s coaching..

/huge post.

• Batman says:

rampage will be back I know he will. He’s a fighter that fights for the fans. I love watching Rampage. Stay up Rampage you have a loyal fan here and you will come back stronger than ever. I know you will read this and I hope ai inspire you in some way. Don’t let Rashad try and punk you cause you would whoop his ass. He just has mind games. Dana White talks shit on everyone, and he is also fake so of course Rashad is his poster boy. Do what’s best for you and your family and when you come back to the UFC you will be more popular than ever.

• ihateurface says:

Hi everyone, my name is ihateurface and I’m a recovering Rashad hater….

For real though, I was a real Rashad hater until I saw him interact with his team. Rashad has proven to me that his “showmanship” wasn’t truly what defines him. Unfortunately I think sometimes guys get pigeon holed by shit like that even when it may not be justified. I apologize Rashad, I now see the error of my ways, although I still don’t approve of that sort of behavior I will no longer judge you on it as you have proven to be a stand up dude.

Rampage….please just slink into obscurity. I can’t take anymore of his shenanigans. It has grown old and your lack of compassion for the guys YOU SIGNED UP TO COACH has completely changed my opinion of you.

• BigDave says:

BigDave: There are only a couple times i’ve ever liked runpage and they were both times he got ftfo by the axe murderer in pride.

edub: ftfo?

Opps,

I meant KTFO!!!!!!!!!

• jj says:

If Rampage cared about his team he would be in there consoling his team mates when they lose, not just feeling sorry for himself. How do you think the guy that just lost feels? Who cares, Rampage’s feelings are hurt, forget the guy in the ring.

• madheartmma says:

AND NOW..THE NEW.(defeating Ken Shamrock, who still is a pimp tho).WORST COACH EVER…
    Quit-en “rampage” Jackson!!
    Quit-en rampage…not one of my favorites, but now , it’s all been stated above on why, I just crack up to see Rashad stand right in front of Quit-en, lookin’ him in his eyes, and laughin’, callin’ him out on being selfish, all that. Rashad and his team where in the ring after the fight helping Wes Sims out! Quit-en just had his back turned, whining, like an ignorant punk, Rashad is a very good coach, in my opinion, only 2nd to Matt Sera. And I must say..Kimbo is a whole different person than i thought he was, gettin thrown into the spotlight, w/ people all over hatin’ on you, wanting to beat your ass, and those Super Haters..you know who you are, would’nt care if he got…hurt…really bad. I got mad respect for Rashad and Kimbo, if you would of told me that a year ago, I’d been like ” what??” Ya cant judge a book by it’s cover, or a person’s character from a couple of videos…live & learn…late

• sexy-yama says:

madheartmma, i agree lol nice post 2,rampage has let fame get to him, he used to be more a little bit more humble,and this shit about its ultimate fighter not coach well good point,but u still suck bad as a coach and ur actions are speaking volumes of your character,editing maybe but evenwiithout it u’d still be exposed for a lazy selfish moneygrabber which i dont hold against u at all, but a real no1 contender woulda fought the current champion not the guy he just knocked out,althought i understand if was for this seson off tuf which whill just end up making him look a douche bag,maybe his thinking i shoulda fought machida and then could done the movie,but he knows machida woulda put him to sleep.classic case of ducking while making it look like his not ducking LOL

• submit662266 says:

Rampage, I thought you retired and were moving on to other things. . . I have a message for you: take your medicine. Rashad is right that you could be much better.

It is sad to see a guy who was on top and had so much potential self-destruct.

• neijia says:

Rashad does come off like he actually tries hard to be a coach. Rampage may like his guys but he seems like he just likes hanging out with them and saying the funny things he says, and not bothering with actual coaching.

Still who cares? It’s entertainment! To make it more purely sport, you’d need a tournament, and Kimbo would be out. The show’s main purpose is not to find someone who will win all his fights, it’s to get viewers and build ppv’s. Hence … Kimbo getting a deal no matter what the actual win/loss outcomes!

Rampage, not Kimbo, really is the quote machine and star as far as I’m concerned, though. I don’t care if he ever fights again. When both he and Rashad and Kimbo for that matter are too old to fight, who you still gonna watch? Who is still going to be the same funny guy/but crappy coach cracking us up? Everyone else will be just another soon forgotten pro athlete.