CBS finally begins the promotion of Strikeforce in primetime with new Fedor commercial

With much being written about the promotion of Strikeforce’s debut show on CBS. ( or lack of promotion) It appears the network is finally prepared to begin educating their sports audience that ” The Baddest Man on the Planet” will be coming to CBS in primetime. Below you can view the new CBS commercial featuring Fedor.

• xtreme_machine says:

the video is good but i wish they showed more of his mma career highlights

but this is just the first one so maybe they will show them later

• David Andrest says:

not bad considering they don’t own any of his fight video. Zuffa, owns all the Pride stuff, and now the Affliction stuff, so they didn’t have much to work with.

• Sic says:

• edub says:

Sic: I think Fedor or M-1 owns Fedor’s fight videos. Affliction was able to promote him using Pride footage for both cards I believe.

No they werent man.

They used his Hong man Choi vid, and I think the Lindland fight.

Zuffa owns all the pride footage and now all the affliction footage. I guess they could use some of the Rings footage though.

• bigbadjohn says:

Not bad. I wish they went more of the “30-1 record” route and talked about his amazing submission and striking skills versus the top heavyweights in MMA instead of the cliche Man Myth Machine drivel.

• 3OAM says:

Already got my ticket!

I really hate when they hype someone like this…even though, Fedor deserves the hype.

• meatloaf says:

xtreme_machine: the video is good but i wish they showed more of his mma career highlights
    but this is just the first one so maybe they will show them later

Well considering they can’t show any old Pride footage I thought the commercial was great.

• fetussandwich says:

Give me half an hour and I could do a better commercial in Powerpoint. All this needed was him hitting a machine saying he hits at 2000+ psi and a Sly training montage in an old, Russian barn and we’d have Rocky 4.

Edub makes a good point about rights to the Pride videos, but they still could have shown his wins against Sylvia and Arvloski. Regardless, I will be not anywhere that isn’t 6 feet from a television Nov. 7th. It’s gonna be a great night of fights.

• edub says:

Oh no Ive gone cross eyed.

• meatloaf says:

edub: Affliction owns the rights to the wins against Arlovski and Sylvia, and they are the main sponsor of the UFC. I doubt they are gonna give up those rights to SF.Unless M1 owns any part of it because they were a co promoter of those events. Anyone know if M1 has any rights to that fight footage.
    Oh no Ive gone cross eyed.

• edub says:

meatloaf: Since Strikeforce showed Fedor’s KO of Arlovski during the Carano/Cyborg event and right after I imagine the Affliction fights are fair game as well as the fights with Lindland and Hong Man Choi and that’s really all you need for 30 second commercials.

Im not sure but I think the Carano fight was before the failed Affliction Trilogy, and the subsequent folding of Afflictions fight promotion.

• boone179 says:

IMO,a special tv series on him 30 minutes,i myself would love an hour long one.(a CBS made one)Maybe tell a little about him they could atleast talk about who he’s beat. right?60minutes maybe?I think more people need to know about him.No one that watches mma where i live knows him.They only know UFC.It wouldn’t seem right to me if Bret KO’ed him and no one really knew how great he really is.

• meatloaf says:

edub:

• edub says:

meatloaf: No it wasn’t. Affliction Trilogy was canceled before Aug 1st and the Carano vs Cyborg was on Aug. 15th.

Well touche. That answers that then.

• Pajamashark says:

Awful, awful commercial. They make Fedor look like a genial, impoverished, slightly doughy accountant. Why couldn’t they get at least one shot of him hitting um, a person?

This is mainstream America- the slavering masses don’t want taciturn Russian master-sportsman, they want rabid testosterone flogged savage animals. If you take the average person who knows nothing about MMA and gave them this video vs. “Kimbo Slice Will Punch People In Your Empty Backyard Pool For $40 Part IV”… then you can see how CBS is going about this a bit wrong selling it to the masses.

And yeah, don’t tell me that MMA shouldn’t cater to the mainstream. MMA fans are going to watch this because it’s free and because it’s FEDOR! We don’t need to be sold, but there would be a lot of good done if CBS had tried harder to make him look like the badass he truly is.

If this is an example of how M1 handles promotion then no wonder they were about as welcome in the UFC as a staph infection. C’mon CBS, step it up or Strikeforce will go the way of Affliction and Fedor will end up working in the Belgorod Oblast office of Dunder Mifflin.

• bigbadjohn says:

i agree pajamashark. The already big MMA fans will watch simply because Fedor is there. And the people who aren’t big fans are going to be scratching their heads (If this guy is such a legend how come I’ve never heard of him? Where are the fight clips of this “mythical” figure?) thinking “this guy doesn’t look like an Ali or a Tyson” and then probably dismiss MMA as a bar brawler league as usual. This is a glorious opportunity for MMA to be broadcast to a wider audience and this commercial lacks to shows the talent and excitement level it truely presents.

• BillyWarhol says:

I was curious what this Guy looked like. He does look Fast but he’s no James Bond! Touche Pussycat!! ;))