Junie Browning: ‘My whole life I have been chased by demons’

junie-browningAfter going berserk in a Las Vegas hospital last week following an apparent suicide attempt and being cut from the UFC, Junie Browning recently took some time out to issue an apology to his fans, critics, and all of those involved in the unfortunate incident.

The controversial former TUF 8 cast member recently spoke with rawvegas.tv to share his feelings on his current situation:

The problem is that when I make a mistake, I make a really bad mistake. It’s not a DUI. It’s not like getting pulled over or something. When I make a mistake I lose control and make a really bad mistake, and that’s definitely what I’m apologizing for.

I just want to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone that was involved in that incident the other night. I truly am very, very sorry.

Pretty much my whole life I’ve been chased by demons, and I’ve had a lot of problems. I mean, it’s pretty obvious. I’m going to continue on working on the problems I have and stuff, but again, I just want to apologize to everyone that was involved. It was a horrible thing that happened.

At this point I’m not just concerned with making myself a better fighter. I mean, it’s obvious that I have a lot more issues than that, so I’m also trying to prove myself as a person. If I have to get help, then I’m going to do that. I’m going to do whatever I have to do to better myself as a person.

Shawn Tompkins took me in and really helped me out a lot, and I even feel like I let him down, but he’s still sticking with me, so it’s awesome. I’m going to prove myself, and I promise you I will get better.

• Xspur says:

It is sad to see a kid with so much talent lose the opportunities Junie is losing. But he said what i was thinking, being a fighter has to come second to getting your head screwed on right. I hope he gets the help he needs, gets away from the alcohol, and gets on the right medications. Only then will he be able to reach his true potential.

• BigDave says:

Best of luck to him. If he is truely meaning what he is saying then he may finally realize he needs help which is a positive thing for the life of this young dude. Tompkins sticking by him is good on him it shows the true character of the guy and will go along way to showing Junie that he has someone thats got his back.

• fintster says:

i suffered the first 37 years of my life with a condition that left me acting like Junie. I am not saying he has the same problem but his outbursts make me cringe and I ask my wife and friends “Did I look like that or did I do that crap?” they laugh and say yea. I don’t know if there allowed to fight on the medication I am on its a anti seizure drug that works wonders and has changed my life. I have tried all the drugs out there not all work for everyone I truly believe he should visit a psychiatrist and try. Junie has a lot of potential and I would hate to see this ruin his shot.

• moosebaby02 says:

I have heard junie apologize for his behavior over and over. dont get me wrong he might have problems and I hope he gets the help he needs but to me it just looks like he dosent care. how many times does it take for him to see what he is doing to himself? if he cant mentally keep his head straight then he has no business being in a ring.
    fintster I dont know what condition you had or have but I have a really close friend who was the same way. we as group notice this and sat him down as his friends after his one really big blow up. I know from my friend experience that it is one hard thing to do alone but it is also as hard to accept you have a problem as well. God bless you for getting the required help you needed and I hope it didnt take something so out there that made you see the light.
    Junie you cant tell me that there is now one out there who wants to help you or trying to. its up to you to see how strong you are inside that will help you. and only the ones who are there for you will help you see that. but if you choose to ignore them there is no help for.
    making the same promise over and over wont help unless you stick to it
    Good luck

• slayer6 says:

Junie, just give it up buddy. Your not that good of a fighter, and your 15seconds of fame on TUF is over. You might get a few more fights out of some smaller orgs. but Id start lookin for a new line of work.

• bigbadjohn says:

Junie obv has some personal issues he should clear up before he concentrates on fighting but his quick signing to fight in a small show in november suggests he wants to take and make what he can now with his 15 mins of fame. i guess monetarily this is the best choice…

• hindsightufuk says:

i could really care less, i was gonna go on about how i had drink/drug problems, but i just grew the fuck up, i cant be arsed to write anything. fuck him

• dtm1985 says:

I have to say I’m glad he accepted he messed up. When your at that point he was, the low of all lows, nothing else matters. You can say its stupid, you can say its selfish but those things dont matter when your there. Your own brain convinces you you’re alone and you could have all the support in the world but those things will drag you down. Most of the time it will drive you to be alone. You’ll get anxiety when your around people so you seclude yourself. Which only increses the feeling of loneliness. I say give that support to Junie. He needs it.

• hindsightufuk says:

• edub says:

I dont take anything he says serious. He says what he thinks everybody wants to here, and then he goes back to acting like a child. Maybe he really does need help though. He needs to go to a psychiatrist and actually be honest in his actions with him.

He really doesnt seem like that good of a fighter to me. He got dominated by Cole Miller and Miller isnt even a top thirty lw in the world. I guess he could get better, but I just dont think he will.

• Jstew3785 says:

hindsightufuk: actually let me clarify. lots of people have bad upbringings. lots of people succumb to drink/drugs. lots of people have lots of problems. but lots of people dont get oppurtunities and second/third chances basically handed to them free of charge. lots of people dont get a public platform on which to publicize their issues and thus gain the sympathy of thousands, some of whom actually offer help and more importantly, really can help you. No, lots of people just have to take the shit they get dealt and get the fuck on with it, make a fucking choice and go one way or the other. fuck him

I agree completely. Fuck Junie and anyone who looks like him. I wish the lord would just take him

• Angry Mike says:

It’s unfortunate, but not surprising. The guy’s a mess, and that was obvious from his behavior on TUF. Hopefully he’ll get back in control and back in the octagon.

• fetussandwich says:

I understand he has his problems and I understand he’s in the limelight probably not wanting to be, but I just don’t understand wasting time in my day well wishing people like this. Good people die everyday of sicknesses, illnesses, and addictions that aren’t famous or in any sort of spotlight who were never offered the chances this man has had. Good people die alone without candlelit vigils or a remembrance on the evening news or some writeup highlighting their career online because the doors of opportunity were never opened for them like they were for Junie. He can spend the rest of his life knocking at the doors trying to get back in and fail 100 times more; I could really care less.

• TerribleT says:

I didn’t like Junie on the show but started liking him after it was over.I was really hoping he’d turned a new leaf.Now that he was working w/ Shawn Topkins I wanted to see him get his career in MMA off to a decent start,so this latest incident is very disappointing.Junie will probably get another chance but it won’t be in the UFC.If he gets his anger under control and works his butt off he can overcome this latest set back but if he doesn’t get his anger under control he’ll end up not just out of MMA but in PRISON!

• GassedOut says:

Frankly, I’m in Junie’s corner. He needs help, and I think he’s starting to know it, though I don’t think it’s completely sunk in yet. If you look at the words of his apology, he takes no personal responsibility for his actions. He says, “I’m sorry for what happened,” not “I’m sorry for what I did.” The apology itself means he’s got a ways to go but at least he’s taking the trip.

And to wish death on a guy? Come on, people. I know this is the fight game and we’re all supposed to be tough-ass bastards here, but there’s a line, and that crossed it. I don’t think any less of the person who posted it, they are showing their passion, but man, you should think about what you type before you hit submit.

• Jstew3785 says:

• GassedOut says:

Jstew3785: I don’t really wish death on him. It’s an inside joke between me and a few of my friends who go to this site. I don’t care about him and I wish he wouldn’t get the publicity he does for being a fuck up. But no, I don’t really wish the lord would take him.

Like I said, I don’t think any less of you. It’s pretty hard for folks to see that as an inside joke, though. Just saying.

• Jstew3785 says:

I guess is it hard for people to see it as an inside joke. Well, except those on the inside….

• meatloaf says:

GassedOut:
    Like I said, I don’t think any less of you.It’s pretty hard for folks to see that as an inside joke, though.Just saying.

Well to be fair unless you’re part of the “inside joke” you’re not going to see it as a joke.

• sides666 says:

junie is the kind of guy who beats his girlfriend like come on lets face it he is a loser and a bully but one problem he is nothing but a punk bitch. i use to be a fan of his but seeing him on the show and now this, he is a waste of skin

• submit662266 says:

It is painful to see someone with so much talent waste it. Sometimes people have to go through the grinder, be miserable or lose everything, and finally get help. I know this b/c of personal experience. He has to really want the help. If he really wants it, great things can happen.

Junie, there is a better life for you. See a counselor, go to a 12 step group, surround yourself with good people . . . it will take time and work, but it could save you. I’ve personally taken time to work on me and admit some truths to myself, and life today is much better than it ever used to be.