Can Kimbo Slice effect positive change in American MMA?

Kimbo Slice, mixed martial artist, street brawler, entertainer, and family man.  Regardless of how you label the man, one thing is for certain, the word “draw” has to be included on your list.  Whether you support his efforts to become a complete mixed martial artists, or you desire to see him get beat repeatedly, you tune in.

With talk about a possible December 12th match up with heavy hitting Houston Alexander making its way around the internet, I asked myself a question.  “ How will Kimbo’s drawing power be effected by a loss in his Octagon debut? More importantly,  “ Could Kimbo actually be the catalyst to right what I consider to be one of the major wrongs in American MMA? “

If Kimbo Slice were an NBA player or and NFL draft pick he would be considered a “project”.  An athlete with a tremendous upside, but an equal amount of faults.   Kimbo Slice demands attention.  In a sport filled with more talented fighters, Kimbo is a household name.

Kimbo recently lost his first round bid to be the winner of “The Ultimate Fighter” of season 10.  He was quite easily defeated by Roy Nelson.   This loss however did very little to derail the hype train that proudly steams forward with Spike TV and Zuffa at the controls.

I’m not here to pass judgment on the situation because quite honestly, it’s just good business.   Regardless of what we may consider right or wrong,  it makes good business sense to continue to promote the man who brought you the attention, and possibly a new group followers to your product.  A loss to Houston Alexander in December would likely do very little to damage Slice as a  ticket  and pay per view seller.  As Cory Brady outlined so well “It’s all about how you spin it baby.”   I look for Zuffa to nurture the “Kimbo Slice” character along win or lose  proudly outlining that he is “growing” and “working hard”, and regardless of the outcome he is “entertaining”.

Which brings me to my point, Kimbo Slice could possibly be the catalyst to right a major wrong in American MMA.  For years I enjoyed Pride Fighting Championships.  I enjoyed the product, the match ups, but in my mind the one area they were a world leader in was the ability to appreciate fighters.   Regardless of records, if a fighter was entertaining,  the fighter had a home.   Their audience seemed less concerned with a fighter’s record and more interested in his “warrior spirit”. The company seemed to make a point of appreciating this aspect of the fight game.

For too long the MMA scene in the states has been conditioned in such a way that if you are not fighting for a title or you are not a title contender, you are lucky to still be on the roster.   If a fighter loses he was overrated to begin with, and heaven forbid he lose two in a row.   When this takes place, the fighter is often labeled a “can” and he is not worthy of the big show.

If you fight at 155, 170, or 205 in the UFC  the possibility is greater than ever to lose two fights in a row.  The talent in these divisions is deeper than ever.  Do consecutive losses  make a fighter less entertaining?

A fighter can lose a fight for any number of reasons,  poor training, injury coming into a fight, loss of mental focus, or his skill set is just not in his favor for certain match ups.   Guys like Scott Smith and Jorge Gurgel , they bring their heart every time, and more often than not are part of an entertaining fight.

I’ll be honest,  I would be looking forward to a tenth fight between  Scott Smith vs. Benji Radich or Robbie Lawler over some of the fights promotions put on as  championship fights or fights with “contenders.”

I love the sport, love watching fighters climb the ladder of success and earn championships, but even more than that I like to watch entertaining well matched fights with fighters laying it all out on the line.

For example,  fighter A.  has a record of 27-17-5  how is that viewed ?   Is he a “can”?  Fighter B.  in his last 8 outings has  4 fights of the night , 1 submission of the night, and 1 knockout of the night .  Who would win in this match up? Which one is in danger of losing his job, or not ever being signed?  For the record in the example above, fighters  A and B  are the same guy.

Given the climate of the recent past if this fighter were to lose twice in a row, he would more than likely be cut.

But I hold out hope, the recent signing of Phil Baroni, and the handling of Kimbo Slice could be the start of a new spin.  An effort by Zuffa to focus  fight fans on quality entertaining fights as well as wins, losses, and titles.  With what appears to be a increase in the number of shows per year, and possibly more and more MMA on free television the time is now to help viewers find a new appreciation for fights.  Fights that may not have an impact on the title picture, but certainly do have an impact on a casual fan’s appreciation for the sport and the fighters who perform.

• meatloaf says:

“But I hold out hope, the recent signing of Phil Baroni, and the handling of Kimbo Slice could be the start of a new spin. An effort by Zuffa to focus fight fans on quality entertaining fights as well as wins, losses, and titles. With what appears to be a increase in the number of shows per year, and possibly more and more MMA on free television the time is now to help viewers find a new appreciation for fights. Fights that may not have an impact on the title picture, but certainly do have an impact on a casual fan’s appreciation for the sport and the fighters who perform.”

This piece right here is 100% accurate. Not every fight or fighter has to be a title contender or top 10 in order to matter. The majority of great fights I’ve seen have not involved title fights.

Kimbo Slice, Houston Alexander, Phil Baroni, and I could go on all have a place in MMA that has nothing to do with being a future champion. It’s called putting on a great fight.

• edub says:

Nice Write up.

Im not sure where im at on this situation. I like you am always interested in an exciting fight over a snoozer.

On the other hand I think that only the best fighters in the world should be fighting in the UFC. WHere they can put on the best fights. They can get a paid better, AND THE BEST FIGHTERS CAN FACE OFF AGAINST EACH OTHER.

To me bringing in guys like Houston and Kimbo means not being able to bring in guys like Werdum or King MO.

• Vogairian says:

I’m glad to see something like this get posted. People seem to forget that not every single viewer of MMA is a hardcore fan. First thing my casual mma friends asked when I saw them a few weeks ago was “Did you see the Kimbo fight?” and I didn’t look at them like they were idiots becuase I understand why they’re interested in guys like Kimbo. Most casual fans love a slugfest and just don’t really care if the fighters footwork is outstanding or if they’re throwing crisp combost. I won’t lie, when I first started watching I loved seeing two guys swing for the fences on every punch and if it went to the ground I was a little disappointed, of course over the years I’ve grown to appreciate the ground game, but I still get on the edge of my seat when the hands start flying.

With UFC showing their prelims more and more on Spike, fighters like these are even more useful. If you get a couple casuals watching the prelims, see some awesome slugfests and get excited maybe they’re more inclined to switch over and order the main show.

• BigDave says:

Let’s face facts Alexander even though only a marginally good fighter is going to destroy Kimbo and by th summer of next year Kimbo will be not only out of the sport completely but Most people won’t even remember his name.

As a big MMA fan who lives in Toronto It is putting people on like Kimbo that is making it harder for MMA to be sanctioned in toronto. I can’t wait for the day that I can go out and see a good event in my city but If The ufc allows people like Kimbo get over then the fight to bring MMA to Toronto is only going to be harder.

So to answer the question will Kimbo affect posative change to mma? Of course not if anything he will set the legitamicy of mma back. People that can’t see that are not real fans or looking out for the future of this sport like having it in the olympics one day.

• David Andrest says:

BigDave: Ok I’ll admit I am not going to waste my time reading yet another Kimbo good for mma thing I’m frankly sick of hearing about it.

Nuff said move on

• ShredderC says:

I believe if Kimbo has 2 more losses in a row that are like his LAST 2 losses his drawing power will diminish greatly! He is 35 and doesn’t have many years left so what i’m saying is, if he gets KNOCKED OUT again by a no name with pink hair and TKO’ed by a fat guy giving him nuggies, well who wants to see that???

So that also answers your question – can a fighters career survive 2 losses in a row. It depends on WHO he lost to. Look at the Ice Man, he is past his prime and his jaw turned to glass but he has been knocked out by top notch fighters and was cut from dancing with the stars but he would still draw! Randy Couture lost and is what, 45 years old? But look at his fights, win or lose ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

Kimbo has been given a second chance being on TUF and with his “nice guy” attitude (I admit i didn’t like him at first because i thought he was an over rated ghetto thug) I just hope he is really working hard on his ground skills otherwise… and Dana White can’t give him to many chances over the other compeditors because that kind of favoritism will only question the legitamacy of the sport.

• Angry Mike says:

thanks Mike, I had it correct checked it and changed it. HT

The article raises an interesting point, though. MMA is part spectacle and part sport. I’ve always thought that Japanese orgs like Pride or Dream focus on the spectacle aspect more than UFC, which is almost exclusively focused on the sport aspect. Imo, hardcore fans usually prefer to focus on the sport aspect because of their interest in the technical aspects of MMA and because they want MMA to be perceived as legitimate and not an extension of professional wrestling. I fall in the latter camp and readily admit it.

• neijia says:

Agree with Mike on both the grammar and the spectacle. Although, I admit I like some of the spectacle. Remember when Cro Cop fought that Mexican wrestler? So ridiculous but so hilarious. I like learning grappling as a hobby, but I’m not really into watching ADCC, bjj, or even Olympic judo unless it’s to try to pick up a very specific detail. There is also a purist line that says any sport that relies in whole or in large part on subjective judging is mostly entertainment, and not “sport”.

• Angry Mike says:

@Neija:

How about the recent fight between Hong Man Choi and Minowa in Dream? I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a goof rather than a serious fight. Not something I’d want to see on every card.

• David Andrest says:

Angry Mike: The article raises an interesting point, though.MMA is part spectacle and part sport. I’ve always thought that Japanese orgs like Pride or Dream focus on the spectacle aspect more than UFC, which is almost exclusively focused on the sport aspect.Imo, hardcore fans usually prefer to focus on the sport aspect because of their interest in the technical aspects of MMA and because they want MMA to be perceived as legitimate and not an extension of professional wrestling.I fall in the latter camp and readily admit it.

I understand your point, and reasoning behind it. And I’m not so much a spectacle person, as I am a fan of a good entertaining fight. I don’t care to watch Hong Man Choi vs. Minowa, however I’ll watch Clay Guida , or Chris Lytle any day of the week, neither of which will smell a title shot in my lifetime, but both entertain me to no end.

• moosebaby02 says:

Big Dave,
    I to live in Canada/Oshawa (born in Scarborough before any you fellow Ontario people start) and also wait for the day I can hit the Go Train to the ACC or the SkyDome (are tax dollars paid for it so it will always be the SkyDome). I was on the same page as you when it came to Kimbo and in some ways still am but you can not deny that more exposure is only good for MMA. Its just how you spin it.
    if your going to say the Kimbo will only set things back cause of who he is or his past. Here is my spin: you have a guy who only knows how to fight and the long road it takes him to get to the legitimacy that he wants.
    Plus: all the friends within the MMA community who has lend him a helping hand for him to get where he wants to be and so on and so on. I know its all mushy kissey crap but so is the bachelor and the biggest loser. Yeah Kimbo is helping open up to the new casual fan but he is not the FACE of MMA. The more people watch MMA the more people will get to know other fighters as well. If your theory of Kimbos path holds true summer next year MMA will still be here and so will the fighters. Kimbo or not.
    its a start and it will only get better.
    Good read Mr. Andrest

• edub says:

David Andrest: however I’ll watch Clay Guida , or Chris Lytle any day of the week, neither of which will smell a title shot in my lifetime, but both entertain me to no end.

I feel the same way about Spender Fisher(Except for his last fight), and Ed Herman.

• BigDave says:

Ok Dave,

• xtreme_machine says:

I say yes, but for a short period of time

• edub says:

Ok I cant believe im about to say this but…

I agree with Big Dave. Good post.

• David Andrest says:

BigDave: Ok Dave,Sorry I didnt read your artcle before I posted. I have now read it and have a bit to add to my earlyer statment which has been now censored or whatever.Now I as a true fan of mma of course want to see exciting fights. They don’t have to be world beaters but for you to use Kimbo Slice as your bases for the article that deals with this subject makes absolutly no sence at all. Have you seen any of his fights? Ok , I’ll say that his fight against Tank was at least good for a laugh but he got run over by petruzeli, should have lost to thompson when he was down taking punches to the head for half a round then had a ref that called the fight when there was zero reason for him to after kimbo landed a few winging shots, and we all saw that even with all the supposed training he has been doing still got takin down with ease and just layed there while big country took side control then put him in the crucifix several times and beat on his head till it was stopped.So where is the excitement there cause I don’t see it. Give me a lawlor fight or gurgel, guida, condit, miller, couture even with his deminishing skills, or so many other great fighters out there but Kimbo Should never be put into this conversation He is a carnival act maybe he could make a stab at tna wrestling or something at the very most but a catalyst for posative change in mma he most certainly is not.I’d give more credit to butterbean then kimbo cause although he isn’t good at all at least he is entertaining. Give credit to Jon Jones or any of the guys I named earlyer cause they are the ones that deserve it. Couture and guy of his era for putting MMa on the map and Jones and the rest of the young talented fighter out there for they will be the true catalyst for posative change in mma.

Big Dave, First off thank you for reading.

My point is less about what either of us think of Kimbo as a fighter, but more about the UFC not wanting to stop the hype train.

He is a draw, I dont’ know why, but he draws eyes. They are going to want to hold on to that for as long as they can.

So I think this is going to force a shift in how the UFC handles guys who lose. This could open the door to them handling losses in general in a different way. I think they have needed to do this for a long time.

You may agree or disagree, but I’d like to see a change.

• neijia says:

Angry Mike: @Neija:How about the recent fight between Hong Man Choi and Minowa in Dream?Ithoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a goof rather than a serious fight.Not something I’d want to see on every card.

lol anyone vs. Choi or a giant is gonna have a bit of a side show aspect. pretty much the same thing as anyone vs. Kimbo. The “giant” or “Internet sensation” angles are just too easy to wrap some cheesy marketing around and draw in casual fans. Because of that, I’m thinking up to 10% goofy fights is ok. If the revenue from the goofy fights helps pay for the matches hardcore fans like, there is actually a benefit for hardcore fans. Hardcore fans who don’t want to watch Kimbo can turn the channel … but admit it, you try to ignore it and get sucked back into the sideshow anyway…

• BigDave says:

David Andrest:
    Big Dave,First off thank you for reading.
    My point is less aboutwhat either of us think of Kimbo as a fighter, but more about the UFC not wanting to stop the hype train.I’m a believer that Kimbo will have a hard time winning in the UFC, they will really have to be smart about picking guys for him to fight if they have hopes of keeping him around. ( Again, neither of us have to like it, but we KNOW it’s going to happen)
    He is a draw,I dont’ know why, but he draws eyes.They are going to want to hold on to that for as long as they can.
    So I think this is going to force a shift in how the UFC handles guys who lose.This could open the door to them handling losses in general in a different way. I think they have needed to do this for a long time.You may agree or disagree, but I’d like to see a change.

Ok. I can see what you mean but there is something I think is being over looked here and that is the fact that over 6 million people just tuned in and saw that not only was kimbo not exciting in anyway but he also showed zero improvment in any part of his MMA game. I hazzard to think that alot less people are going to be willing to fork over 45-50 bucks to see a guy that even for a sideshow isn’t able to make an entertaining loser.

• bigbadjohn says:

doesn’t it kind of take away from a fight’s excitement if you know that any averagely well rounded fighter in his division could have his way with Kimbo? You know, like his opponent has to be hand-picked as to not embarrass him (ie. Houston Alexander). The UFC is for the best of the best. That is why when a UFC fight is exceptionally entertaining, you know its genuine competition at its highest levels and not a behind-the-scenes pick and choose opponent. I believe after Houston “bad ground game, but not Kimbo-bad ground game” Alexander walks through Mr. Slice we will see how “internet sensations” pan out in the most competitive fight league in the world. Remember, Houston had to leave the league just to get a win, so you can’t expect real MMA fans to support Kimbo if he loses in another Roy nelson-embarrassing fashion to a UFC gatekeeper. Kimbo belongs in another more “hype before capability” league like ones he has previously fought in. There, he can still make money, the people (who want to) can still see him, and everyone will still know he’d beat the piss out of pretty much any Joe walking down the street.

• mu_shin says:

No doubt Kimbo is a draw. Business determines that it doesn’t matter why people want to watch him. People simply want to watch him, win or lose, and the commercial aspects of the business of MMA, in this case the UFC, are served by giving the people what they want.

I’m a lot more interested in the line of thought concerning the strong fighter who might not be in line for the title, but always seems to provide tough competition for whoever they face in the ring, and consistently entertains the fans; both consumers newer to the sport, and the hardcore long-time fan who appreciates more than a knock-down drag-out toughman match.

I’ve posted previously about the role of the journeyman in boxing, a guy whose skills are good, whose heart is dedicated to giving his best effort, but who for whatever reason may fall short of the championship level. In MMA, I think of a guy like Heath Herring, or dare I say it, in these latter days of his career, Randy Couture, who you know will never give less than his maximum effort, but whose moments in title contention have most likely passed. Fans still love to watch Randy, will pay to see him fight, regardless of the fact that he most likely will not contend again for a title.

As MMA grows, and the sport attracts more and better fighters from an expanding talent pool, the climb to the top will undoubtedly grow steeper, and take longer. I think we can look forward to lots of entertaining competitve fights in the years to come that might not necessarily have critical title implications, but none the less provide intense compelling MMA action that fans will enjoy, both from up and coming emerging fighters, as well as the gatekeepers and journeymen who will comprise those who may never achieve the summit, but still give fans their money’s worth in the cage.

Again, as the sport matures, perhaps we can look toward a day where a fighter who proves his mettle in the cage, fighters like Clay Guida or Keith Jardine or a host of others, fighters who prove to be fan favorites and provide spirited action in their matches, need not panic if they lose a couple fights. As long as they give their best and never lie down, there should always be a place for that type of fighter, in the UFC and the other promotions as well.

• elkymbo says:

Mirko Cro Cop fighting in the UFC is proof enough that they are trying to introduce the fan hero side into it.

• shotokai_ says:

How has my comment been deleted but the spelling error i referred to in my comment not been changed?

Whaaaaaaaa my mistake…..relax and don’t take things so personal.

And then “Angry Mike” does the same he gets thanked like some kind of hero.

Angry Mike is a hero to us all. did you not get the memo?

• shotokai_ says:

• shotokai_ says:

• David Andrest says:

shotokai_: Other than this though, nice article. And my 2 cents is that fights that aren’t relevant rankings-wise can still be very interesting and, whats infinitely more important, popular amongst fans. Take for example Butterbean vs Tank Abbott, coming up on some card in Alabama soon (?). It’s a small promotion, a small event, with small pay packages probably. Yet I’m still more interested in a) what this fight looks like and b) what the outcome is than several other “meaningful” fights put on by other organisations recently; e.g. a few of the “important” fights that took place at Dream 12 the other week.

my apologies for the error, I’ll promptly refund your subscription cost.

• Austin says:

Kimbo would be big in japan.

• meatloaf says:

That Tank/Butterbean fight was canceled and replaced with a sure to be boring Jeff Monson vs Travis Fulton main event.
    But hey good news for MMA purists who hated the Bean/Tank match up and now will probably be happy watching this fight and trying to convince themselves it doesn’t suck.

• Jstew3785 says:

shotokai_: And BigDave got 19 little negative thumb symbols, and his comment got banned, haha man that sucks bro, you gonna be alright? Don’t do anything rash..

And since we’re in the business of correcting people, it’s actually 24 thumbs down

• larsenator says:

GREAT article! (Y)

• BigDave says:

I think I need to be put on suicide watch, I need people to validate me and love me………hahaha!
    Love me or hate me I give my opinion and sometimes its good sometimes bad but always just my opinion.

• Angry Mike says:

Wow. “A hero to us all.” I’m flattered, but just to be clear, I’m not going to wear a cape and tights. Even Mrs. Angry Mike would laugh her ass off.

• MMApride19 says:

This is a REALLY good and VALID article. Very impressed. It has been on my mind for a while now. Im glad theres a written article about it.

It is starting to really annoy me that the majority of ‘fans’ out there name so many fighters as ‘past it’, or as ‘cans’ just because they have lost a few fights. I mean, reading some posts on some forums sometimes really frustrates me, because it gives you a great overview of roughly how the average UFC fans mind set works. If a fighter loses… they are worthless, or they were a ‘could have been’, but since they have lost.. they are no good. You know… and then comparing fighters… ‘well fighter A lost to fighter B… So fighter A is never going to be able to beat fighter C..’ You read so many comments like that… and it just generally doesnt work like that.

This article does a great job of addressing this. Using PrideFC as an example works a treat. One fighter jumps straight to my mind since we are talking about Pride and its attitudes towards fighters… and that fighter is Sakuraba… Now.. this guy, who you MMA fans should definetly know (possibly as the Gracie Killer), is a legend of Pride.. a hero in Japan (and the countries around). He doesnt have the greatest record ever… but he is still viewed by many as one of the greatest MMA fighters EVER. Sakuraba always had an exciting fight, he always gave it his all, and he was extremely talented. He lost fights… so what? I enjoyed nearly every single one of this guys fights, he simply amazed me – win or lose.

Now thats just one example. A more recent example is Wanderlei Silva, sure he is losing.. but would the UFC ever cut him? Of course not!!! He always has exciting fights.. always brings it. That guy is a hero to many. And loves to fight. And yet you still get so many people saying he should retire!!! And it really frustrates me!! WHY?!?! Why should he? Because he has lost some fights? Thats not the point, he entertains.. Thats the main reason why he is still fighting. He has heart.

There are so many other examples, but those are two of the main ones. Its just the mindset of the casual fan, nowadays, its pretty much only the champions and top contenders that get recognised in the media – and as a result, more so by the casual fan. And thats why the others are forgotten by the majority. If MMA is going to be a sport, it needs its top fighters… its middle fighters… and its lower fighters… Maybe after 4 or 5 loses in a row, a cut can be considered.. but even then, only if the fighter is NOT putting on entertaining fights. I think through time, as the sport grows (think about football, teams are not cut just because they lose a few matches in a row), people will change. And are going to start appreciating the martial arts being displayed in the fights, rather than just caring about who wins or loses. It takes two fighters to make an exciting fight.. remember that. They should both be recognised, win or lose.

• Jstew3785 says:

I agree MMAPride but look at Jason Macdonald. The dude always brings it and the UFC cut him.

• submit662266 says:

If a fighter is entertaining or is some sort of a character, Zuffa will sign him. Look at Chris Leben. He will never be MW champ, but he is a scrapper. He is not afraid to get hit. He will try to smash his opponents face EVERY time he fights. Kimbo could fill that role at LHW. Similar to Chris Lytle. Lytle has lost several fights in the UFC, but they keep him b/c his fights are always great to see.