Junior dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga on tap for UFC 108

junior dos santosA showdown between fellow Brazilian heavyweights Junior dos Santos and Gabriel Gonzaga is likely for UFC 108.

The possibility of the match-up was first reported by Fighters.com before MMAJunkie.com was able to pin the bout down to the January 2 date.

UFC 108 is expected to take place in Las Vegas, with a likely main event between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort for the UFC middleweight championship.

Dos Santos is fresh off of his impressive third round stoppage of Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic during UFC 103, following back to back Octagon victories over the likes of Stefan Struve and Fabricio Werdum. A win over Gonzaga will move dos Santos that much closer to a crack at the UFC heavyweight championship.

Gonzaga will be looking to build on his previous TKO victory over Chris Tuchscherer at UFC 102 on the heels of his knockout defeat to Shane Carwin during UFC 96. With a UFC record of 7-3, the only thing standing between Gonzaga and another title shot is a win over a legitimate top contender such as dos Santos.

Below is a full list of the bouts expected for the card:

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout

Cole Miller vs. Dan Lauzon

• Niv says:

That looks like a very solid card.

I think this is a very good test for Dos Santos and should be a good marker as to where he stands in the HW division. A loss to Gonzaga in my opinion puts Dos Santos as simply an up and comer, a win firmly does plant him as one of the better guys in that division. A win by Gonzaga on the other hand should put him closer to a title shot, though I view him as more of a gate keeper than a true contender at this point.

Belfort vs Silva has enormous potential (posibble upset in the making?) and Evans vs Thiago Silva has huge potential as well.

I really like this card.

• whiteyhudson says:

Belfort vs Silva will definitely be a huge point of interest

Editor: No spam, thanks

• Scottish_MMA_fan says:

Im a fan of everyone on this card, except for dan lauzon for the sheer fact that ive never seen him fight, but if he fights anything like his brother then it should be a good night of fights. Could see every one of these easily finishing before the scorecards.

• Jstew3785 says:

Am I the only one who wasn’t impressed with Dos Santos at all against Cro Cop? He looked tired by the 2nd round and could barely finish a washed up Cro Cop. I don’t consider him a contender at all. Obviously he’s heavy handed and you can’t deny his victory against Werdum, but I’m still not impressed with him

• dpk says:

This is a better fight than the original Gonzaga v Nog fight that was reported. I’m just curious what UFC has planned for Nog at this point, there is no one on their HW Roster that they can really match him up with before the end of the year, or early next year.

I imagine that Nog will either fight the Velasquez v Rothwell winner, or just go straight into a title shot

• fanoftna33 says:

Dos Santos by easy ko. Anytime Gonzaga fights somebody tough he seems to wilt, and as often as I have heard Joe Rogan tell us he has all the tools to win the title it will never happen.

• xtreme_machine says:

I say Dos Santos 2nd TKO

because Gonzaga got beat by Werdum and Santos destroyed Werdum

• fanoftna33 says:

Gonzaga got tkoed by Werdum twice, but when Dos Santos fought him Werdum didnt look to be in the best shape. I think Dos Santos wins here but a rematch against a well prepaired Werdum would be great to see also.( I know Werdum is in Strikeforce but he could be back).

• xtreme_machine says:

yeah i think Werdum ultimately wants to come back to the UFC

and i would like for him to face Big Nog after JDS

• I really, really like this match-up.

• shotokai_ says:

xtreme_machine: this match up would either put Santos in contendership or knock down Gonzaga back to fighting cans again
    I say Dos Santos 2nd TKObecause Gonzaga got beat by Werdum and Santos destroyed Werdum

I think you mean “this match up would either put Santos in contendership AND knock down Gonzaga back to fighting cans again”, or vice versa.

• Love it! been a fan of Dos Santos for a long time, finally we’ll see what his ground game is all about.

• edub says:

Gonzaga by submission.

• Bullylover says:

great matchup looks like it’l be an exciting fight regardless of who wins it.This definately looks like it’s going to be one of their better events they’ve had all year.Should be a lot of fight ogf the night comtenders on this card.

• submit662266 says:

• MMApride19 says:

submit662266: This card looks good. I like dos Santos. I think dos Santos will eventually win the title. Lesnar and Carwin are both very new to mma. I think Jr. would beat both them, and all other current HW.

I too like Dos Santos… but i really dont see him being champion anytime soon. You know Dos Santos has only been in MMA for like 3 or 4 years aswell? So he too is relatively new. Obviously slightly more experienced than Lesnar (pretty much every fighter in UFC is lol), but he is stil quite new to competing in the sport. In my mind, Dos Santos is seen as a promising up and comer, who may very well challenge for the title in the near future, but wont quite be good enough to actually get the title. HOWEVER, in 2 -3 years time… when he has a wealth of UFC experience under him – against TOP competition, we may very well see him with the belt around his waist.

He still has alot to do, in order to prove himself as one of the top guys in the division. An impressive win over Gonzaga would put him one stop closer.. And then i think he should fight Mir (providing Mir actually win against Kongo, which he should). Mir wont get a shot straight after he beats Kongo. Next in line is Big Nog. And then next after that, IF he beats Rothwell, is Valesquez. SOOO, im going to say if Dos Santos beats beats Gonzaga, and Mir beats Kongo, those two should fight for the next title shot (after Big Nog and Valesquez).

• Jstew3785 says:

I like this match up also. The heavyweight version of Keith Jardine vs young and overrated.