Fitch vs. Almeida, Hazelett vs. Parisyan & Rosholt vs. Grove set for UFC 106

Dustin HazelettSince the recent signing of Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz II set for UFC 106, a few more bouts have been officially announced for the November 21st event.

A middleweight preliminary bout between Kendall Grove and Jake Rosholt is one of three newly confirmed bouts for the card.

Rosholt is coming of a “Submission of the Night” win against Chris Leben at UFC 102. His win against “The Crippler” was his first in the octagon since coming over from the WEC.

Grove, who was “The Ultimate Fighter 3” winner, has had some ups and downs since winning the reality show. “Da Spyder” has gone 4-3 since winning the contract with notable wins over Evan Tanner and Jason Day. He will be looking to rebound after suffering a unanimous decision loss at the hands of Ricardo Almeida.

Almeida, who has improved his record to 11-3, has signed on to face top contender Jon Fitch for the main card of the event.

“Big Dog” who appears to have rededicated himself to MMA after taking a four-year layoff, has only one loss in his last ten fights in a very close split decision to Patrick Cote.

Fitch, who’s only loss came at the hands of champion Georges St. Pierre, is looking to earn himself another shot with a win over Almeida. Fitch has put together two wins in a row since losing in his title shot, and has notable wins against Akihiro Gono, Diego Sanchez, and Thiago Alves.

Finally, a welterweight bout between two “inactive” fighters has also made the main card. Dustin Hazelett whos coming off a torn ACL has been confirmed to fight against judo specialist Karo Parisyan.

“McLovin” who tore his ACL prior to a bout with Ben Saunders, hasn’t fought since November 2008. The submission wizard was riding a two-fight win streak over Tamdan McCrory and Josh Burkman prior to his injury.

Parisyan, who returns from a drug suspension handed down after UFC 94, is looking to reclaim his position in the 170 lb division. Parisyan was suspended after testing positive for prescription painkillers after a win over Dong Hyun Kim. The win was eventually changed to no-decision.

The pay-per-view event is scheduled for November 21st, live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Below is a look at the remaining bouts confirmed:

Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin

Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

Luis Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch

Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan

Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah

Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders

Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt

Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos

• Jstew3785 says:

Shaping up to be a pretty sweet card. Fitch vs Almeida might rival Sonnen vs Okami for the most boring fight of the year though. Can’t wait to see Lil nog in action, that has fight of the night all over it.

• dpk says:

This is an awesome card.

I agree that Fitch v Almedia probably won’t be a barn burner for the casual fan, but it is a fight that is very relevant at determining who is going to be challenging GSP during the middle of next year. If Almedia wins, I would bet that he gets a title shot in the near future.

• Scottish_MMA_fan says:

Im hoping that the hazelett/parisyan match-up is as good as it potentially can be. I was very impressed with hazeletts last 2 performances before he unfortunately tore his ACL, and Parisyan, well he can be exciting to watch, it all just depends on where he’s at mentally and physically. If both are in top shape then this could be right up there for fight of the night i think.

• I love Almeida but I have to agree with Jstew and dpk… this fight will likely be a snoozer. It will be hard enough for Big Dog to handle his first cut to 170 but throw him in against Fitch and you have yourself another 15 minute decision.

The rest of the main card looks amazing, though. McLovin/The Heat FTW!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

If Groove and Bisping both lose thier upcoming fights I think maybe the ufc should put together a loser leaves fight between the two. Thoes two guys used to be fun to watch but nowdays they dont seem to be fighting with the same passion, Groove used to take it to people and the same with Bisping( or at least he did not run as much) maybe a little pressure would bring back the passion for both fighters.

• Jstew3785 says:

I hate Bisping but I think it’s way too soon to talk about cutting him. I mean, he lost to Dan Henderson, one of the all time greats. I could see cutting Kendall “Groove” if he loses again, but not Bisping.

• Jstew3785 says:

• Scottish_MMA_fan says:

Jstew3785: Scottish MMA Fan- you automatically get a thumbs up from me just based on your name.

Lol cheers mate. Just signed up yesterday, looking forward to getting into some good debates on here.

• Jstew3785 says:

There will be plenty of debates on here. Most people on here are really knowledgable and will actually debate with you rather than use personal attacks.

• Shut up, Jstew, you’re an idiot.

• Jstew3785 says:

Oh sorry Scottish MMA Fan, stay away from that Sergio guy. He’s a dick….

• Jstew3785 says:

Ahhh irony

• edub says:

You can put Fitch and Almeida on a main card, but no Okami? I really hope Jstew that me, you, and Sergio are wrong but I think this will definately be a snoozer.

Hopefully the old Karo shows up and him and Hazelett give us a good scrap. Imagine if the Karo from his fight with Diego shows up, and Hazelett fights to the ability he showcased against Josh Burkman. Could be an amazing fight. Im with you Scottish that if they both fight to their best ability we have a lock for fotn.

• xtreme_machine says:

why are you guys hating on Fitch so dam much

if he had not lost to GSP you guys would be talking wonders about him

and that was is ONLY lost in the UFC

I like Fitch because i think that he is one of the most technical guys out there and # 2 WW in the world

also, his last fight was what it was because they moved it around the card like 3 times trying to fit it in the PPV

• Jstew3785 says:

If Fitch beat GSP I would still think he is boring. I don’t hate him, just think he is a boring wrestler. I fully believe he is the 2nd best WW in the world right now. He hasn’t finished a fight since “07

• Jstew3785 says:

I was saying he hasn’t finished a fight since ’07, and most of his fights have been boring hug n slug matches

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont think jon fitch is a boring fighter, at least i enjoy watching his fights. It will be interesting to see if his skills can negate Ricardos bjj the same way he nullified Paulo Thiago. The way Fitch was able to handle a strong bjj player on the ground and even take his back and try for the choke was awesome to watch. I’m hoping he’ll do the same against Almeida. I really dont like Ricardo Almeida as an MMA fighter, awesome bjj and grappler, but no fun to watch for me.

Dustin/Karo could be a great fight

• fanoftna33 says:

The thing that always surprises me about Fitch is his ability to escape very tight chokeholds, everytime somebody gets him in one he gets out. He may not finish fights often but he has to be one of the toughest guys ever to finnish.