Benson Henderson defeats Donald Cerrone in all out war at WEC 43

wec 43Benson Henderson and Donald Cerrone failed to dissapoint in San Antonio as the two staged one of the most electrifying fights of the year during Saturday evening’s WEC 43.

Henderson avoided numerous submission attempts in the first round before gaining control from the top and raining down punishment. In the second and third rounds Henderson’s superior wrestling played the deciding factor in his inevitable victory before Cerrone turned it on in the final two rounds to no avail, dropping the unanimous decision by a score of 48-47 on all three scorecards.

Henderson took home the WEC interim lightweight championship with the win, and made it a point to address WEC lightweight champ Jamie Varner following the victory, exclaiming, “Jamie Varner, we got a date! Phoenix, Arizona! Let’s do it!”

When Varner had his chance on the mic he shared Benson’s enthusiasm on two separate aspects, stating, “Let’s do this in December, let’s do it whenever. I want this fight in my home state, where Ben trains, where I train. I want to do it in Phoenix, Arizona, so hopefully we can make that happen.”

With both men eager to prove that they are the true champion of 155 pounds in the WEC, and both anticipating a showdown in their backyard of Arizona; a showdown in the desert between the two in the near future seems unavoidable.

Also on the card was undefeated lightweight Dave Jansen who improved to 13-0 with a unanimous decision victory over Rich Crunkilton.

The biggest shocker of the night came when WEC newcomer Mackens Semerzier pulled off the first round triangle submission over top rated featherweight and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Wagnney Fabiano, who was on an eight fight win streak just prior to the upset defeat.

A full list of the results from the event are below:

Benson Henderson def. Donald Cerrone via unanimous decision

Dave Jansen def. Rich Crunkilton via unanimous decision

Rafel Assuncao def. Yves Jabouin via split decision

Damacio Page def. Will Campuzano via submission (rear-naked choke) – round 1

Anthony Njokuani def. Muhsin Corbbrey via TKO (strikes) – round 2

Scott Jorgensen def. Noah Thomas via TKO (strikes) – round 1

Mackens Semerzier def. Wagnney Fabiano via submission (triangle choke) – round 1

Eddie Wineland def. Manny Tapia via unanimous decision

Charlie Valencia def. Coty Wheeler via unanimous decision

Deividas Taurosevicius def. Javier Vazquez via split decision

• Rich S. says:

Guess I’ll repost this in the official thread..

Ben amazed me tonight, plain and simple..

Say what you will, but, IMHO, BJ PENN wouldn’t have gotten a tap out of Ben tonight..

With that said, Cowboy was robbed.. Ben clearly won rounds 2 and 3, but 4 was controlled by Don, and round 1 was his too.. As for round 5, the judges did what I thought they would, and took it as the guy on top being in control.. This is something that REALLY, REALLLLLLY needs to be changed in today’s judging.. It makes me sick to my stomach every time someone wins a decision, despite being on the defensive and dodging submissions the whole time..

Sure, takedowns get you points, but should you win a round that you got two takedowns in, when you had to turtle just to survive?

Ben’s a great fighter, he surprised the hell out of me tonight, and I now have a world of respect for him, I just don’t think he should have won..

I hate Varner. And if Ben fights anything like he did tonight against Varner, he’ll have no problem winning.. So, I guess I’m content..

Also, HOLY S**T at Semerzier nabbing the 1st round sub over Fabiano..

• scarred fighter says:

thats was definetly an amazing night. Eevery one did really good i just wish donald could of pulled threw that decision.

• BigDave says:

Anyone that thinks cerrone won needs to lay off the wacky tabacky. at most cerrone won rounds 4-5 but he clearly was dominated in the first three rounds other the the early sub attempts in round one. Ben has crazy sub defence and off the charts cardio. I’m for one hoping he destroys varner.

• metalmulisha says:

BigDave: Anyone that thinks cerrone won needs to lay off the wacky tabacky.

Wow.

• Tcan says:

Im glad for Ben, but he was at the good end of a horrible decision of a great fight. He never came close to finishing the fight. Even when he was in control he took damage. He controlled Cerrone but he never doninated him. The first round was a toss up, Ben won 2 and 3 for sure. 4 was close, he was starting to faulter and he lost the round. The 5th was a 10-8 round if i ever saw one. YOU SHOULD NOT GET POINTS FOR SURVIVING! that being said WOW! and I hope he crushes Jamie.

• redness says:

direct tv is killing me

• Kamakosmo says:

This is the Classic “Don’t let it come down to the Judges” decision.
    What wins? Attempting a bunch of Subs? Or, escaping a bunch of Subs? Henderson is, for lack of a better term, a freak. Mir had it right in saying that most other fighters would have tapped (in eiher Rd1, 2, 4 or 5) Cerrone showed equal toughnes in being on his back, with a guy STANDING over him consistently hitting the body, as well as the face. Ths fight could have gone either way (UD? whatever…)
    All I know is, these two will be fighting again next year, after Henderson destroy’s Vargas, who looked visibly scared at the prospect of going against Henderson. Anybody see a delay in this contest?

• xtreme_machine says:

WOW that was a great Fight

so far i have that as the Fight of The Year

behind Randy and Nog

• Rich S. says:

-“Did he just give a thumbs up?”
    –“Yeah”
    -“What the heck is going on?!”

I busted out laughing when Mir said that..

How Ben’s arm isn’t broken, I may never understand..
    And when he was in those chokes, he didn’t even blink..

• hindsightufuk says:

awesome fight for sure, i thought the first round could have gone either way tho would personally have given it to Cerrone.

Also one of the judges scored the Assuncao Jabouin 30-27 to Jabouin, i’m guessing that same fuck wit could have scored every single round of the main event different to you, me and the other judges.

Great nights entertainment, and fuck me wow Semerzier! wasnt expecting that!

Jorgensen looked brutal, Assucao showed real nice combinations and ground work, Jabouin looks like a great prospect, Crunkleton/Jansen was another entertaining fight, Page looked wicked as well, great opening exchange on that fight.

props to WEC again

• twyg says:

I saw rounds 1,2,3 for Ben. Yeah Cowboy had those sub attempts in the first minute and a half but after that it was all Ben until round 4. Those were some really tight chokes but he didn’t finish and Ben dominated until the forth it is really that simple. So far as I see it fight of the year contenders are as follows; Guida vs. Sanchez, Couture vs. Nog, and Henderson vs. Cerrone.

• lemonheadzzz says:

Got to be fight of the year. Five tight rounds. They were both gassed a little at the end but it was pretty much non-stop. I was surprised it wasn’t at least a split decision though. Can’t wait to see Henderson destroy Varner and watch them fight five more rounds.

• mu_shin says:

Read a lot before I got a chance to watch this fight, but on this occasion, I totally agree with Big Dave, I saw it 48-47 Henderson. Screaming fits by various bloggers and journalists notwithstanding, this was a great contest, a very close fight, and what I can definitively say is that anyone who calls this a travesty of a decision is really exaggerating their perspective.

I would not have been outraged if Cerrone got the call, and I do have to qualify my comments by saying I knew the actual outcome before I watched the fight, but even with the multiple sub attempts in rd. 1, Cerrone ceded control of the round to Henderson at about the two minute mark, and Henderson directed the action for the remaining three minutes of the round. After I watched the fight, I went back and watched round 1 again, and saw it the same way.

In the end, I thought Henderson took 1, 2, and 3, and a really resilient Cerrone took 4 and 5.

If I were training the Cowboy, I’d have him in the gym working the stand up, as I thought there were some really choice openings for striking, and Cerrone just wasn’t aggressive enough, wasn’t poised to penetrate and strike with the power he obviously commands. Henderson kept him at bay with the threat of the shot, but I thought Cerrone could have tipped the balance decisively if he had taken a few more risks and thrown some more combinations. Maybe a few more good shots and he could have closed the other eye… Great fight!