5 Oz. Exclusive with Alistair Overeem: ‘I expect to be fighting solely in the U.S. throughout 2010’

alistair overeemAlthough it has become painfully obvious that current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem has no intentions of defending his title anytime before the end of 2010, “The Demolition Man” recently went on record with FiveOuncesofPain.com, stating that we can expect to see  a lot of him stateside beginning at the start of the new year.

After competing in kickboxing for the bulk of 2009 while putting his MMA career on hold, Overeem has recently been tabbed to face off with Tony Sylvester in his first mixed martial arts rules bout of the year. The two will face off at Golden Glory’s tenth anniversary event in Holland on October 17, and Overeem is further expected to participate in DREAM 12, just eight days later in Japan.

So now, the question on everybodies mind is, “Does Alistair have any intention of defending his Strikeforce championship in the near future?”.

There have even been fellow Strikeforce heavyweights such as Fabricio Werdum that have gone on record stating their beliefs that a substance known as “Gummy Berry Juice” could be the underlying reason for Overeem’s seeming unwillingness to make the trip stateside to put his belt on the line.

FiveOuncesofPain recently had the opportunity to catch up with Overeem to ask him the very question that is begging to be asked.

FiveOuncesofPain: Do you have a problem with fighting on American soil, and when can we expect your return to Strikeforce?

Alistair Overeem: No, I love to fight. I expect to be fighting solely in the U.S. throughout 2010.

• KTru says:

I hope so,
    there a some good fights to be had in SF, and a title defense would be appreciated.

However, if things go as they plan (which they hardly do in MMA), he will face Fedor, lose, then be on the shelf again for many more months. But a fight with Werdum is on the horizon. I just think he faces the winner of Rogers/Fedor early 2010.

As for the rest of the SF HW division…..It may have names, but that is it…just names

• cocoonofhorror says:

someone put a sock in this clown.

• xtreme_machine says:

i say he faces both Werdum and Fedor

But the question is who he faces 1st?

• 27jride says:

cocoonofhorror: someone put a sock in this clown.

Right on! I’m not sure if calling him a cheater is considered “fighter bashing” but some one has to say it! This guy won’t fight where he knows he’ll be drug tested and that stinks of a roid problem. PLUS after seeing him beat up a piece of sh*t bicycle I know a LOT of people who will never take this clown seriously again…. unless he beats Fedor, Rogers, AND Lesnar…. then I swear I’ll take it all back.

• dimitri357 says:

i blame strikeforce, they should make him defend his belt on a given day and if he dosent strip him of the title. strikeforce should stop playing these games. what are they waiting for, another two years to go by? i dont understand it.

• dimitri357 says:

STRIKEFORCE MAKE HIM DEFEND THE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE ! dont they care that thier heavyweight champion is M. I .A. THE UFC WOULDNT PUT UP WITH THIS.

• dimitri357 says:

am i the only one who cares about this? fedor please respond

• moosebaby02 says:

i will only care IF he ever comes state side. why hasnt SF striped him of his belt yet is baffaling

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

• Kuch says:

Sorry, but Alistair has waited too long to walk back in and expect everyone to believe he is still a champion.

• moosebaby02 says:

leaving your HW title in limbo for 2 years is how you keep talent????? So while the guys who are fighting in the company that are toughing it out with what ever payday they can get to climb the latter for there chance at a shot at a title have to wait cause the suppose CHAMP can go else where and cash in while he finds a way to event magic piss?????? thats how you keep talent???

How bout this???
    While as a company you kiss the ass of a supposed FIGHTER and MAN. while he does nothing for your company and hand cuff you cause he knows you have no BALLS. and let the REAL FIGHTERS who want to fight go some where else to make what little money they can with a company who cares about the fans (to some degree) who are FILLING their pockets with $$$$$$
    Ya I passed the pipe allot tonight and filled the room with some purple haze
    BUT
    Thumbs down izzle

• danw84 says:

MM izzle my Nizzle: Here is another example of the five oz dudes trying to imply that he will end up in the UFC. Now tell me, how many times do you ask Lesnar, Silva or GSP “is there a chance that we will see you in Strikeforce anytime soon?”. Check yourselves Five OZ because your bias is evident here. It isn’t the first time, it happens time after time.

I don’t recall many instances of reporters asking MLB players if we’re gonna be seeing them in the minors any time soon or NFL players to be back playing college football.

• BigDave says:

Scott Coker you obviously aren’t thinking straight. You are allowing a fighter to tell you when he will defend his title when you should be telling him when he is defending his title. You want strikeforce to be thought of as a real mma brand and not an affliction or elitexc then show us that you control your fighters and tell overeem that he has to defend his title by new years eve or he is stripped and booted from the organization. If not then you will be banking your whole organization on Fedor and should he lose then you might aswell fold up shop and go away.

• edub says:

MM izzle my Nizzle: “Of course when quoted as saying that he expected to be fighting solely in the United States through the course of 2010, another question could be derived from the response:FiveOuncesofPain.com: So is there any possibility that we may end up seeing you in the UFC anytime soon?Alistair Overeem: I don’t have a crystal ball, so it’s possible. At the moment I’m happy with my contract with Strikeforce.”Here is another example of the five oz dudes trying to imply that he will end up in the UFC. Now tell me, how many times do you ask Lesnar, Silva or GSP “is there a chance that we will see you in Strikeforce anytime soon?”. Check yourselves Five OZ because your bias is evident here. It isn’t the first time, it happens time after time.As for Strikeforce not forcing its title holders to fight for it. This is 1 of the things Strikeforce has done in order to keep its talent. It is not restricting fighters with the same kind of strangle hold contracts that the UFC does, so fighters not willing to hand their lives and testicles over to Dana White will have another preferable option. This is the reason they got Fedor and still have the likes of Overeem and the deals with M1 and Dream are possible in no small part due to the fact that Overeem is fughting in K1 (it also appears that Sengoku is willing to do deals with big foot and will possibly do so in the future with Barnett). So although it sucks not having Overeem defend his title etc it is 1 of the only ways a company like SF could compete with the UFC and be a serious contender for the future top dog spot. I feel that before too long the likes of Lesnar and others will end up in the mix of SF/Dream/M1/Sengoku.

There are so arguments to be made with your comment i dont know where to begin.

1. Not having the HW championship defended for two years is not a good way to keep talent. In fact why would you call Overeem a SF fighter and not a Dream fighter or a K1 fighter. They may have an agreement, but they are not the same promotion.
    2. He has been in talks with the UFC before. The UFC is the best promotion on the planet right now, and it doesn’t look to be faultering anytime soon. The question comes down to for a fighter why would you not want to fight in the UFC. Asking Silva, Lesner, and GSP if they are in talks with SF is a pretty far reaching comparison.
    3. Dana doesnt take testicles, only blood.
    4. SF is in the U.S. Meaning they drug test. How the hell would they do a deal with Barnett.
    5. If you really feel like Lesnar is gonna be in talks with SF in the upcoming years you need to get your f*cking head examined.
    Ok done with you.

Cory why only two questions? He get pissed an walk away from ya after the first two?

• qat says:

izzle are you for real? do you really like how strikeforce handles these things?
    i have to admit, sf has some serious talent in their roster, fedor and mousasi really added something. and the nov 7 card is really awesome.
    but what i fear about sf: will they ever have such an card again if they don’t put any pressure even after 2 fucking years on their fighters? not even on their champions?
    its not only overeem (do they really want to wait another year?), cung lee hasn’t fought for 1,5 years until he himself vacated the title, not strikeforce forced him to..
    don’t get me wrong, i want strikeforce to be a strong competitor with the ufc. competition is never bad in business, especially not for the customers (or fans).
    but that “overeem-case” is really a fucking joke.

• Austin says:

EVERYONE IS GOING T DIE

• metalmulisha says:

danw84:

An absolutely asinine comparison.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

My retort to edub etc

3. I think you like Dana’s Testicles

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Oh edub I also recall you hinting that Big Foot and Werdum wouldn’t happen. You really know your stuff dude it is a pitty it is in edub-land and not this one. You would think that after being wrong so many times that it would occur to you to think a little bit more and perhaps tone down your attacks on others. I mean I must admit I was a little angry when I read your speech at first but then I realized that you had no argument and you were just repeating the same things over and over again “SF and Dream are not the same company” (deep down you are threatened by the fact they are working together and that they have a pool of fighters that rivals or betters the UFC) and “Barnett has been done for drugs” (if he was in the UFC like Sherk and Belfort you would be his biggest supporter) and the classic “you should have your head examined” (another example of you being offended by someone suggesting that a UFC fighter may leave for another company) all of which really means “I love the UFC”. Because I have found in the past that any attack on the UFC or support of another company and you jump in, without fail. It is kinda sweet really.
    Well I’m pleased you like the UFC eduh but I have another opinion based on A THOUGHT PROCESS not just an emotional attachment. I hope I don’t get too many thumbs down before you see this you need a wake up call.

How do you say it if you are a [email protected]&r “I’m done with you”

• twyg says:

Sorry MM anyone who compares voting up or down on a website with a goverment that was responsible for the systematic murder of millions of people needs to see a mental heath professional. In fact anyone who uses Nazis to compare to anything other then…you really should not compare anything to Nazis.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

I didn’t I wondered if they would have approved.

• twyg says:

You called voting un-American(?) then you insinuated that the new feature is something the Nazis would be in favor of. We can read between the lines. You are just a little mad your comment got voted down.

• carbec17 says:

We can dis SF for letting him hold up the title, but they’ve had their sites on bigger things. I.e., getting Elite’s TV deal, signing Fedor. Allistair has more fans overseas, plus, he sucks. He should’ve came running as fast as he could to face Rogers, because he won’t stand a chance against him very soon, prolly not currently either. Plus, if you really think that comparing UFC to MLB or the NFL is a bad analogy, you’re crazy. There might be a few fighters throughout the world who can be considered top tier that are not there, but they continously either wish they could (Aoki) or have earned the right to do whatever they want (Fedor). UFC has the bulk of all top tier talent in every weight division, hands down, and are more recognizable than almost any brand of sport worldwide. After soccer, judo and other one on one combative sports are the most participated sports in the world. While MMA is overwhelmingly the fastest growing sport in the world, the UFC is the spearhead in that growth. When Allistair does come to the states he’ll find that the SF heavyweight division has past him by. Why would he want to fight Werdum, he’ll get stomped. I don’t mind him stinking it up over there, Fedor has a world title that has more respect anyway…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I hope Overeem fights in the cage next year regardless of who it is for. He is a very good fighter and would be a hand full for any fighter with or without the gummy berry juice.

And I would be pissed too my nizzle. Thanks to edubs quote (how ironic)I can read the comment left by you and all you said was that Five oz keeps implying that all fighters want to be in the UFC or to that effect (which, right or wrong they do do) and a couple of things about Lesnar or other fighters finding a home in Strikeforce in the future (which without doubt will happen, I’m not saying it will be Lesnar but it will happen ) big deal! you all vote his opinion off.
    You seem like a reasonable fellow to me my nizzle so I will give you this tip…anyone who disagrees with you will now pretend to be offended by the Nazi thing just to shout you down.

Ha! twyg he didn’t call voting un-american! he was saying censorship of ones opinion was. Like he said seeing what you want to see LOL (a perfect example). I too find that soooooooooo annoying. Do you guys realize your doing that or what cuz it happens constantly.

P.S.See the 2 thumbs up thumbs down things below. they are broken and don’t work and may cause a variety of CPU viruses if clicked.

• edub says:

MM izzle my Nizzle: My retort to edub etc1. Really are they individual companies!??? well done! eduh. Are they cooperating? could Overeem going to K1 be part of that? Does the UFC cooperate with anyone?. Can you think for yourself?.2. How many UFC fighters have been in talks with SF or Dream or Elite XC or Affliction? this is no excuse for them to always be hinting that every fighter from out of the UFC somehow wants to or will end up in the UFC. Like Mousasi, Fedor ,Overeem Diaz etc. All fighters of that calibur negotiate with multiple orgs and the UFC will always neg with any draw card, as will SF. I mean BJ, Lesnar, Rampage, Machida, Shogun and the rest have had talks with all of the major companies, why would they not?. If they didn’t the UFC could say well we will pay you $5 a fight. Think about it. Oh thats right it seems YOU DON’T.3. I think you like Dana’s Testicles4. In the future like I said …Duh I think he has fought in the US in the past?? Just like Big Foot and Belfort and Sherk and Sylvia.5. How the hell would you know you fool. Would you have said Fedor would be with SF…No you wouldn’t. Even you the great eduh couldn’t pick that one. But he is still delussional enough to think his version of the future will come true.qat “do you really like how strikeforce handles these things?” No what gave you the idea that I did? By the way I don’t like the way the UFC does things either. Are you seeing things that you want to like edub so you can dismiss what I’ve said?.Last of all can I just say that this new comment thing is the most un-American attack on free speech I have ever seen on this site and if this was the way the world always worked we would all think the world was flat. i wonder if the Nazi’s would have done such censorship?.

Oh my twelve year old friend. Or at least the guy who acts like it. Just because you say EDUH instead of edub doesnt make you seem any cooler. Your whole retort was filled with shit talking and really no valid points except for the one about Big Foot and Werdum(Which I will give you I was wrong about, but I thought they would handle it the same way they’re handling Jorge Santiago). Oh and them moderating the comments is nothing like an attack on free speech. Youll probably learn that in Government class in the morning.

1. You say all fighters have negotiations with all orgs (as an argument against the common knowledge of how the fight game works, or to imply that i didn’t know) of course they do because I never say they didn’t. Im just implying that every UFC champion has no intention of working with anyother organization. Thats why SF is made up of unproven fighters except Fedor, Mousasi, Shields, and UFC castoffs. Yep you heard right UFC castoffs. Nick Diaz, Jason Miller, Scott Smith, Robbie Lawler, Fabricio Werdum, Josh Thompson, Jorge Gurgel(Headlined a card), Babalu, Sokoudjou. The UFC and Pride were the top two orgs in the world. Pride died (RIP). Now its the UFC. The only reason for these guys to jump from the UFC to SF would be more money, and nobody makes more than the UFC. Even the guys who are not even contracted anymore like Hendo, Hughes. Lastly if things were so good with SF why would there HW champion(Who they like so much they dont even make him defend his belt) say in an interview he doesnt know what the future holds. WHy wouldnt he say I am a strikeforce fighter why would I talk with the UFC? Because the UFC is the best in mma. Pay wise, competition wise, talent wise… really the UFC is great.

2. Hard to decipher but I think you likened barnett to Sherk, Sylvia, etc…
    No org right now in there right mind should let Josh Barnett to fight for them. His two biggest fights of his career were marred by steroid use with not even taking place because of steroids. Why would anyone want or give him another chance in there org? Please let me get a valid argument in this one Noob Nizzle(Oh see how I did that on there not hard).

3. You probably live in your mom’s basement. Unless your not old enough to move downstairs yet.

4. Yes I actually did think Fedor would be in SF, after everyone figured out he wouldn’ t go to the UFC. Thats the only other place in the US for him to go. Not hard to figure out.

In closing I feel the need to keep arguing, but in looking back at noth comments the you only really made one point. The rest is a blend of asinine comparisons(Zuffa-Third Reich), and me being blinded by the Zuffa machine…
    “I mean I must admit I was a little angry when I read your speech at first but then I realized that you had no argument and you were just repeating the same things over and over again”
    Are you taliking to me with this or are you just projecting something.
    I jump in when people make arguments that make no sense. This just happend to be one of those occasions.

• edub says:

“but in looking back at noth comments the you only really made one point”

but in looking back at both comments you only really made one point.

• Jstew3785 says:

As a light heavyweight, once I cycle off the roids.

• edub says:

Jstew3785: 5 Oz. Exclusive with Alistair Overeem: ‘I expect to be fighting solely in the U.S. throughout 2010?…..As a light heavyweight, once I cycle off the roids.

If hes on em and he cycles off that would be one helluva a blubbery lhw.

• Jstew3785 says:

• metalmulisha says:

Jstew3785: Yeah. I really doubt he could make the cut, I was just being stupid. He’s so big now that he will probably never be a LHW again.

• edub says:

metalmulisha: Talk to the guy who’s apparently convinced Bobby Lashley should cut to 205. He probably thinks Alistair should cut down to 185.

Metal Bobby himself has talked about cutting down to 205 before. It was on insidemma. He was on there with Rashad Evans.

• metalmulisha says:

By the way my above comment was meant as a joke.
    I thought I’d point that out in case Sergio saw it and became irate.

• edub says:

• metalmulisha says:

edub: You gotta type these things faster than that metal. I got nothing else to do at work.

I hear ya, but checking various sites, and playing on line poker at the same time slows me down.

• metalmulisha:

SCREW YOU, METAL, IMMA RIP YOUR THROAT.

But really, I honestly believe, as does Lashley apparently, that he could make the 205 cut. I stated my case and the only argument was “he’s got so many muscles” so I consider it a moot point now.

And yeah, all I do at work is look at 5Oz, it’s ridiculous.