Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin II set for UFC 106

titoortiz1After a torn MCL recently forced Mark Coleman to the sidelines in his expected match-up with “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy”, a rematch between former light heavyweight champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin has now been set for UFC 106.

According to UFC President Dana White in a report on Yahoo! Sports, Griffin recently agreed to the match-up on just six weeks notice.

UFC 106 is set for November 21 from Las Vegas, Nevada, featuring a main event for the heavyweight championship between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin.

Far from strangers, the pair previously locked horns during UFC 59 back in April of 2006. Ortiz wound up edging out Griffin that evening via split decision utilizing his trademark ground and pound during the course of the back and forth tussle to come out on top.

The bout will mark Tito’s first return to action since dropping a decision to current UFC 205 pound champion, Lyoto Machida, in May of 2008. Immediately prior to the loss to Machida at UFC 84, Ortiz fought to a draw with former UFC light heavyweight title holder Rashad Evans during UFC 73.

Griffin is also looking to get himself back in the winners circle following a blow out knockout defeat at the hands of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva after surrendering his 205 pound crown to Rashad Evans at UFC 92.

• xtreme_machine says:

I hope Forrest wins

Forrest via decision

• fraz says:

xtreme_machine: I hope Forrest wins I don’t like Tito’s antics and the way he fights plus he has not beaten any top level guys and th eones he beat where not at their peck yetForrest via decision

I only half-agree with you. Tito’s last 2 fights weren’t actually that bad. He drew with Rashad and he lasted the distance with Lyoto and even almost pulled off a submission at the end. Yes, Lyoto dominated Tito but Tito looked better in there against him than Rashad or Thiago did.

• dpk says:

Forrest is a much better fighter now than in the first meeting, I think he will win by UD. This is a hard comeback fight for tito

• danw84 says:

This fight is wayyyy harder for TIto than Coleman.

I hope Forrest wrecks him.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Tito should win.Tito via UN DEC.
    I would like to see Tito vs A. Silva afterwards. I think Tito has the game to beat Silva and it would inspire a lot of interest.

• mpwhite2 says:

Much more interesting fight than Ortiz-Coleman. I know Forrest’s skill set is much better than their first meeting, but after back to back losses you have to wonder if he’ll be ready mentally, especially considering Tito beat him once (albeit controversially). Regardless, should be more exciting than watching Coleman and Ortiz try to outwrestle each other. I see Forrest making another dash for the locker room after this one.

• danw84 says:

Tito is good at beating Ken Shamrock. That’s about it.

• Rich S. says:

I was hoping they’d go with this..

• Jstew3785 says:

This is the fight I was hoping for as well. I think Forrest takes this one. IMO he won the first fight anyway and he has improved his game a lot since then. Unless the Silva loss is still in his head I think he takes a UD.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep, great fight, first one was very close and entertaining.

Winnable for both fellas and i guess the odds will be about the same so aint putting anything on who takes this.

I like both, dont care who wins if its entertaining.

• dh11 says:

not that I disagree with you all or anything, but what has Forrest shown to make you think that his skill set has vastly improved or improved at all barring he doesn’t just try to fight with his chin anymore.

• moosebaby02 says:

rather see Franklin but this is just as good. didnt think Forrest would have taken this one on such shot notice or by his last interview. Dana must have thrown a ton on $$$$$$ in front of him for this one.
    I see Forrest pulling out some kind of sub for the win. IMO Forrest is better OVER ALL than the always predictable tito
    I hope Forrest head is in this one and didnt take this one to try to shut everyone up who has or still talking about him. Cause to him a fight is just a fight and i hope he sticks to that

• shotokai_ says:

Such a better fight now. This could headline on its own quite easily in terms of PPV draw.

Much tougher fight for Ortiz now but it depends how much the Anderson Silva debacle is still milling around in Griffins head; quite a lot you would imagine. Although there first fight was close, in the first two rounds Ortiz was able to take him down and keep him there – which won him the fight. If he can do this again, he will the fight again. I suspect, though, that Griffins takedown defense, and stand up to go with it, has significantly improved since then, so it ultimately depends where Titos takedowns are at. Forrest won’t sub Ortiz and vice versa, so it basically comes down to striker vs grappler, and my money would be on Griffin defending enough takedowns, or getting back up quickly when he is put on his back, to win this fight.

• s00nertp says:

I like this matchup a lot…. but didnt Forrest just get married and in one of his recent interviews say that he isnt training???!?!

I would hate to see Forrest lose because of that, to someone like Tito

• YetiLee says:

I just don’t see Forrest winning this fight, I think the Silva fight messed with his head and he will never be the same fighter again. I have a feeling that Griffin is going to fight scared and that is going to cost him.

• Yes! Not that I see it being completely different than last time….but this time I think the judges wont be on Tito’s junk this time. Last time that judge who scored it 29-27 was just too in love with Tito. Im gonna go out on a limb and say Forrest by submission…….he’s improved leaps and bounds since last time and I see him being even trickier on the ground and their last meeting. Plus I just wanna see Tito tap.

• bowulf says:

This has the opportunity to wreck whoever loses. Both MMA need the win to be legitimate again, and while I am not arguing, this really would have been a better bout in 5 months as Tito’s second fight in the UFC. No one can say the UFC hides its fighters, or perhaps Dana really hasn’t made up with Tito and wants to throw him to the wolves already and punish Forrest for running out of the cage.

• YetiLee says:

I’ll bet you $50 Tito will never tap. Tito by TKO in the 2nd.

• So many variables for this fight…

Is Tito finally 100% Will ring rush play a factor? Is Forrest mentally recovered from the Silva lost?

I see Ortiz snatching another decision.

• moosebaby02 says:

Also this has given me the respect for the UFC that they lost on my part. from the begging I thought the tito vs Colmen fight was a joke. I also questioned the credibility of the UFC for putting on such a gimmie fight for someone with big of a mouth as tito. this can still considered a gimmie in regards to the fact the Forrest just got married and planning his honeymoon and wasnt currently training…….according to Forrest. But a fight is a fight and thats what Forrest does. I dont see him having any flashbacks of Anderson bobbin and weaving in front of him. Forrest is not mentally weak at all but more emotionally weak and we all know Forrest is very emotional despite what he says. 6 weeks is not allot of time to train considering the HUGE implications of this fight. but if all you have to do it train to fight a person who is only good at one thing how hard can it be. Keep it standing, stuff all his takedowns and if he does get you down get back up with your BJJ (I know it sounds easier than it sounds).
    My game plan would be to work on my knee striking over and over and over and then some more. Tito will let you know when he is going to shoot all the time. So as soon as he make his move which will be in the first 3 seconds, pop the huge Cranium with a knee and he will think twice about his takedowns. Then he will get confused and fold like he did the last time he face Randy.

• joe mo mma says:

I like both fighters.. but im predicting a boring performance by both of them… decision for tito…

• BigDave says:

I have to laugh at this fight for a few reasons. First over the last few weeks almost everyone on here was talking shit about griffin after his running from the ring after the fight and now since he is fighting Tito all of a sudden he is the better fighter and will beat him.

Now I do agree that forrest is the better fighter in this fight and will win but It will not be an easy fight these are 2 seasoned fighters that have been in there with the best and have both been champs. I predict a three round war but Griffin will win by split decision.

• metalmulisha says:

The UFC was trying to give Tito a “gift” by scheduling Coleman for his first fight back, and now Tito is being used for that purpose to get Forrest back on track after getting humiliated, and losing 2 in a row.

Forrest is better now than when he fought Tito the first time a fight which I thought he won the last 2 rds. in and Tito if anything has taken a couple steps back.

The guy hasn’t beaten anyone of note since he won that split decision over Forrest 3 and a half years ago and hasn’t stopped an opponent besides Shamrock since 2001. He is nothing but a product of hype.

I think Forrest is going to have an easy decision win here, and trust me I’m no Forrest Griffin fan.

• YetiLee says:

Everybody keeps talking about how much better Forrest is now and I have to disagree. A big part of being a fighter is the mental aspect and after Forrest’s fight with Silva, I honestly don’t think he can rebound from it. Just listen to him in the few interviews he has done since and you can tell the guy has some problems and that his heart and head aren’t into fighting.

Sure they are not at the Junie Browning level, but there is a problem there. When Forrest fought Jardine and lost, he was gunshy in the next fight and fought a little scared. Silva completely destroyed him, so I can only imagine what it has done to him.

We also have to take into consideration that Tito isn’t the same fighter either and let’s see what his back surgery has done to make him a better fighter, he says this is the best he has felt in years, so let’s just wait and see.

I still say Tito wins this and I think it will be the end of Forrest’s career, I don’t think he is mentally tough enough to bounce back from back to back losses and will crumble completely under the pressure. Which is too bad because I like Forrest but I think on Nov.21 we see Tito win and Forrest have a meltdown.

• KTru says:

Tito is hated
    Forrest is loved

Easy discussion here
    I for one, still has not forgave Forrest for being a wimp and run. Does not want to answer the media questions, but will not mind using the media when he is on his “book tour”.

I dunno, I know I am in the minority, but Forrest and his “happy-go-lucky” attitude that we all love, has worn thin on me

• cocoonofhorror says:

im on board with KTru. Im a former Forrest fan, and for the 1st time ever i will be pulling for Cheeto in this one.

• bigbadjohn says:

Any “ex-Forrest” fan who cheers for tito was never a fan. Forrest is a no bull shit fighter and tito is a talk-talk bullshit fighter. but personalities aside this will be a pick ’em/choose ’em fight. I hope forrest wins because tito is a boring fighter. if tito does lose, his only prospects lie in a “leaked” home sex video with his lady.

• twyg says:

IMO Tito got the last fight because the UFC needed Tito to win in order for a Tito-Chuck rematch. Go back and watch that fight; Forrest was robbed. Then you have the Tito-Rashad fight in which Tito wins if not for the point that was taken away in the second round.The Tito-Lyoto fight is a mixed bag, because although Tito has come the closest to beating Machida he was dominated for 14 mins 30 sec of the fight. Forrest has looked horrible in his last two fights getting KO’ed in each. This is a risky fight for both fighters and for the UFC. You have two insanly(?) popular fighters that both really need a win. This either ruins Titos homecoming or relagates Forrest to gatekeeper status (if he isn’t there already). I like Griffin to pull this out though, I don’t think all the time off for Tito is a good thing, and when was the last time he KO’ed somebody?

• submit662266 says:

I think this one is tough to call. These guys always say they feel better than they’ve ever felt. . . I know Tito says that, but if his back was so wrecked that he needed surgery, how much better could it feel? People I know with back problems do seemingly harmless things, the back goes out, and they can hardly move for months. Tito is trying to compete in one of the most grueling sports with a bad back!!

Having said that, I think Tito will win this fight. He seems driven to win, while Forrest seems to have lost all desire.

twyg- I agree, Tito was having his a$$ handed to him for 90% of the Machida fight, but he still survived the full 15 minutes. Tito is the only fighter who has come remotely close to beating “the dragon.”

• cocoonofhorror says:

“Any “ex-Forrest” fan who cheers for tito was never a fan. Forrest is a no bull shit fighter”

wow, apparently your nut hugging has no shame and knows no bounds. he has exposed himself as a hypocritical cry baby who has a lack of respect for the fans and media, what is left to like? he isnt funny enough for his humor to carry him….

• Batman says:

I think Tito will beat him down. He just got back sugery, and will be feeling and looking great.

• neijia says:

metalmulisha: People need to stop this Tito gave Machida his toughest fight because honestly Tito was getting his ass handed to him for 2 rds. and 4 and a half minutes and then failed at a triangle attempt that a lot of people can’t seem to let go of.

lol thanks for saying that. getting dominated then almost a sub is still not g0od.
    but Griffin is no Machida. To0 close to Call. Going Split Dec. And 1/2 of us will disagree.

• danw84 says:

Man I’d hate to be a fighter with some of you guys as “fans.” You don’t care that Forrest has never backed down from a fight that has been offered to him, you don’t care that he fights his heart out and cares more about this sport than his own honeymoon, but you think the fact that in an extremely emotional state right after getting knocked out he didn’t want to speak with anyone makes him the a hypocritical baby and a wuss and a bad fighter and a reason to drop him as a fighter you like.

It’s pretty pathetic.

• With all do respect to Coleman, he is a legend and all, but this fight just got alot more interesting with Forrest instead of Coleman. Tito now has his hands full! Also Forrent got alot to show and prove!

• submit662266 says:

danw, I see your point, and I even agree. The thing I’m most impressed with though, besides the actual fighting itself, is that a fighter who was just defeated can congratulate his opponent afterwards and admit that the other man was better. Couture has always done this after his defeats, Jens Pulver has done this, and many others whom I’m forgetting right now. I met Jens Pulver after UFC 63 (his loss to Lauzon). From where I was sitting, I thought Jens was robbed and I asked him if he felt the same way. He told me “I got popped.” Plain and simple. Disappointing, I’m certain, but in my opinion, his comment was a huge statement of respect and had no hint of BS. It is called honesty and humility. I NEVER hear public figures make honest statements. Politicians lie (on the right and on the left and in the middle), people at work lie, Dana White always lies. It is a huge breath of fresh air to hear some of these athletes admit the truth about how they performed. These are the guys that I always find myself pulling for. Forrest has been that guy for a long time, and perhaps we may see this side of him again in the future (I hope to see the side of him that has the ref raise his hand after the fight, though). I was disappointed that we didn’t see that after the Silva fight.

• wifeinthong says:

Tito vs Griffin =Boring been there done that Machida vs Ttio now thats interesting

• danw84 says:

You serious? You think Machida vs Tito isn’t “been there done that”?