Matt Serra set for UFC 110; Frank Trigg possible opponent

matt-serraFormer UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra will making his return to the Octagon at UFC 110.

Serra revealed during a conversation with MMAFanhouse.com that he has recently agreed to participate in the event that has been pegged for February 6 in Las Vegas.

While an opponent has yet to be determined for Serra, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt went on to reveal that Frank Trigg was one of the front runners for the spot.

Serra will be looking to bounce back from back to back defeats at the hands of Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre following his shocking knockout over GSP during UFC 69 on the heels of his TUF 4 championship performance.

If Trigg ends up facing Serra at UFC 110 he will undoubtedly be in a sink or swim position coming off of his first round TKO defeat via Josh Koscheck during UFC 103.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a good fight for both fighters, pretty evenly matched with two good veteran fighters. I am looking forward to seeing this as both are known fpr being able to do a little bit of trash talk also.

• moosebaby02 says:

this looks like sink or swim for both of them to me.
    fan agree on all points. I hope Serra pulls it off since imo he won his last match against Huges.

• fanoftna hit it on the head.

This in no way has any sorta of title implications but is instead a solid fight between two veterans.

Wow… UFC *110*…

• mpwhite2 says:

I personally find both of these fighters extremely annoying, but I tend to think Trigg is a little less annoying considering he is able to go three sentences without saying, “dick,” unlike Serra. I think both fighters are well into the twilight of their careers, so this fight is really up for grabs. Should make for an entertaining fight though.

• xtreme_machine says:

Trigg NEEDS a wins

but i think that if Serra looses and he sais that he wants to drop down to LW
    then i think that the UFC woulf give him a chance to show what he can do

• YetiLee says:

While I agree it is a good fight for both fighters, I think it is an even better fight for Trigg. IMO even though both fighters match up well, I think Trigg should win this fight very easily. If he doesn’t then he will be retired anyways because there is no way the UFC is keeping him after another loss.

• joe mo mma says:

do you think dana/joe silva sets up these types of match ups on purpose? i mean, they obviously want to kick someone off their payroll with this fight. oh well.. i dont really care for matt serra or frank trigg anyways.

• BigDave says:

mpwhite2: I personally find both of these fighters extremely annoying, but I tend to think Trigg is a little less annoying considering he is able to go three sentences without saying, “dick,” unlike Serra.I think both fighters are well into the twilight of their careers, so this fight is really up for grabs.Should make for an entertaining fight though.

Gotta agree with you completely on this one.

• fanoftna33 says:

MPWHITE2, that was great I got a good laugh at your comment, very funny. I think Serra will take this one hopefullt with the rnc, but as Machine said Serra goes to LW then a loss wont be that bad as there are some very good fights for Serra at LW, Serra vs Edgar would be a great fight making sense for both guys. Edgar wins and he beat a solid vetran who is a former WW champ. Serra wins he legitimizes himself at LW instantly.

• bigbadjohn says:

does it matter who wins this fight? both fighters stocks are dropping faster than letterman’s assistants pants’

• 27jride says:

what’s with the pretty back round colors on the comments? We’re at a website about men punching and elbowing each other in the face with the intent to draw blood and/or render his opponent unconscious right? Am I nuts here?

• I love the fact it took that long for someone to talk about the weird coloring in the text. I like this fight. Either Frank Trigg is gonna take Serra down and avoid the submission by beating Serra’s face in OR Serra taps him out. Good fight though.

• RU486 says:

I like the prospects of Serra fighting at LW where he belongs. I think he’d be a real threat to the LW crown. A ground war between Serra and BJ, Diego, Diaz, or Kenny would be awesome.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Trigg wins this easily.

• scarred fighter says:

I cant wait to see this fight. Its a good match up for both fighters its definetly both a win situation for both fighters.

• metalmulisha says:

I’m not sure if I was matchmaker if I could’ve come up with a more uninteresting match up if I tried to.