5 Oz. Exclusive with Shane Carwin: ‘Brock is what they call a “draw”, I am what they call a “fighter”‘

Shane Carwin PicIn what is quickly shaping up to be one of the most anticipated heavyweight championship bouts in the history of the sport, there’s no love lost on either end from fellow athletic behemoth’s Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar heading into their explosive collision set for UFC 106.

As we speak, Octagon construction technicians are likely working at a feverish pace constructing the reinforced cage that will be required to withstand the impact when close to 550 pounds of stupid freakish strength locks horns on November 21 in Sin City.

Not known for biting his tongue when it comes to his……..  discontent with Lesnar, FiveOuncesofPain.com recently had the chance to catch up with Mr. Carwin to gather his thoughts on recent remarks made by the current UFC heavyweight champion to The Las Vegas Sun where the larger than life title holder had this to say:

He’s a tough guy. He’s undefeated, but some of the guys he’s beaten aren’t worthy of having on your record. He hasn’t fought anybody. He’s fought Gonzaga, so I really think he’s 1-0.

While Carwin will be the first to agree that “Napao” was one legit heavyweight he’s faced, he’d be lying if he said that Brock’s recent remarks haven’t further fueled the fire that has long been burning to put a beatdown on the outspoken money machine.

“I totally agree that Gonzaga was one tough fighter,” said Carwin. “Anyone in the cage is a tough guy and deserves respect. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to this fight.”

Stepping the mudslinging up a notch, Carwin made it a point to remind Lesnar that unlike many of his bouts in the former WWE superstar’s previous career, the winner in this one will be far from predetermined, stating, “Brock forgets there were no scripts issued with the bout agreements. He better be training for a war because I will be.”

Although similar in stature, Shane would go on to explain that the pair couldn’t be any more opposite in his opinion.

“I feel like I have paid my dues and so have a lot of fighters waiting for their shot,” said the undefeated knockout artist. “Brock is what they call a “Draw”, he sells tickets, I am what they call a “Fighter”, I fight who I am told to fight the way my coaches train me too. We are different people and we treat people different. To me this sport is as much about respect and honor as it is paychecks sound bites.”

In the recent conversation with The Las Vegas Sun, Lesnar further went on to drag Carwin’s wrestling credentials into question, stating:

He’s a tough guy and a wrestler. But he’s a Division II national champion — enough said.

When it comes down to it, Carwin would like to point out that at the core, Lesnar has no idea who he is or where he came from, and he’d be wise not to make any ASSumptions in regards to the fellow goliath’s ability to hold his own on the canvas.

“I choose to go to a School that would allow me to play both sports and pursue my academic goals,” explained the former NCAA Division II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion. “I wasn’t raised to go to this program or that. I was raised in a house where sports came after the education and doing two sports meant even more work for me. I could have likely played football at any D1 college and likely would have been an All American but they would not let a full ride Football player wrestle. Just the same, I could have likely wrestled and been an All American at the D1 level but there were even fewer wrestling scholarships available and the Coaches were not interested in having big slow football players taking spots of dedicated wrestlers. Division II College really gave me the opportunity to both sports (that I loved) and embraced my academic pursuits.

“During my last year of football I totally focused on nothing but football and made it to the Sr. Bowl from a Div II College. Then after time away from the wrestling room I was able to return to wrestling shape and win a Div II National College Title.”

What it really comes down to is that it’s going to be a fight, not a wrestling match. We can go back and forth about wrestling credentials and mat superiority all day, but all that truly matters is that one man will remain conscious and the other will not when the dust settles in the Las Vegas desert in November.

• xtreme_machine says:

it is going to come doen to who is the beeter wrestler

if Shane can keep it standing then he KOs brock

but if brock takes him down then TKO via GnP

Brock TKO 2nd

• moosebaby02 says:

You telling him Shane.
    Carwin KO in the 2nd

• BigDave says:

In my experience watching MMA i notice that most guys that are as cut and muscular as carwin tend to gas quickly so I will be most interested to see if this fight can go into the deeper round or if Carwin will gas out. Although i wouldn’t say Brock has over the top cardio we have seen him go into the second round with Couture and wim a decision over Heath Herring. These two guys cancel each other out in size and strength Carwin may be a slightly better striker but Brock is the better wrestler. I personally would love to see these guys stand in the middle of the cage and just hit each other with bombs till someone goes to sleep.

Brock Tko round 2 (gnp)

• danw84 says:

Carwin by KO first minute.

• YetiLee says:

Lesnar has the better wrestling and cardio, as much as it pains me to say it I got to pock lesnar by TKO in the first.

• qat says:

im so tired of guys playing the wwe-card. thats neither innovative nor interesting in any way. yeah yeah sure lesnar forgets mma is not scripted, zzz zzz zzz.
    just for that alone i hope carwin gets ripped apart, so this shit stops once and for all. (and no, i am not a pro wrestling fan)

• Niv says:

I like Carwin, he seems like a good guy but I’d be kidding you if I think he’s going to last more than a round.

I hope Carwin proves me wrong, I’d love to see him put Brock to sleep but I fear it’s going to go the other way.

• Starforsaken says:

Let’s see what Lesnar’s chin is made of.

• danw84 says:

I find it odd that people continue to imply Carwin’s cardio won’t match Lesnar’s just because he has never allowed an opponent to take him further than a couple minutes into the fight.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

everyone seems to think that “since buff guys gas quick” that Carwin is gonna crash.. but remember, he is a champion collegiate wrestler. he’s gonna have a gas tank. By personal experience, I would generally use superior strength to make my opponents gas out (trying to fight it), but with wrestlers, you wait, and wait, …and it just doesn’t happen. also, I agree with qat… give the wwe thing a rest. brock is legit.

• YetiLee says:

Starforsaken: Let’s see what Lesnar’s chin is made of.

Let’s see what Carwin’s fists are made of.

• Jstew3785 says:

Carwin via KO in the first round. I think he catches him pretty early. Call me crazy, but this is MY most anticipated fight so far this year. Also, I am in agreeance with all, the WWE card is getting old. Brock has more than proven himself inside the cage.

• sensiman says:

Im a huge Carwin fan, And I most definately hate Brock the Jock. I think Carwins 5X glove will stop it in the first round. By the way how do you make a 5X glove weigh only 5 oz?

• KTru says:

Wow Qat,
    Since YOU told everyone not to use the WWE card I will listen and not go down that road. Because I am always one to listen to what people tell me what my opinion should be.

To the point that Carwin will gas, is completely moronic and absurd. The guy trains in high altitude and been wrestling for many years. These guys know how to train and cardio will be the last reason why Carwin loses (if he loses at all)

• Jstew3785 says:

He didn’t give strict orders not to use the WWE card, he just said he’s tired of hearing about it. I didn’t hear him telling you what your opinion should be KTru, he just simply stated his. Isn’t that what posting is for, to give YOUR own opinion?

• submit662266 says:

Carwin will win via TKO. A big part of Brock being successful is that he is SO big. With Shane being the same size, and having big power, he will hit Brock hard and often.

As I said, Carwin by TKO, Round 2.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Carwin is going to get what they call “Battered”.

• redwire says:

It’s funny how Carwin says that it isn’t all about sound bites, and then gives us one of the better ones I’ve heard in a while with the title of this article.

‘Brock is what they call a “Draw”, he sells tickets, I am what they call a “Fighter”’. I love it!

And despite what others above me have said about Brock being legit, and we should forget about the whole WWE thing, Brock didn’t forget about it when he played the heel at the end of his last fight, and went on about Coors and Bud, and climbing on top of his wife. That ain’t normal. That’s WWE.

• cocoonofhorror says:

That’s Brock, get used to it.

• danw84 says:

Yes it is Brock, and it’s also why as long as he continues to act that way his past in the WWE where he did nearly the exact same thing will continue to be brought up.

• bigbadjohn says:

Y’all need to give it a rest. Carwin is a good threat to the belt but Lesnar trains harder and has one focus: retaining the belt. Think about it… have you seen Carwin on his back because that’s where he is gonna be. If he can get a shot in during the first minute of a round before hes taken down then he has the “punchers chance” because of his excellent power and speed. but man to man, brock is on a different level athletically. research your div. 1/ div.2 differences

• bigbadjohn says:

and this WWE antics shit is exactly that, shit. frank mir and brock had a legitimate score to settle (anyone see the smack frank was talking before ufc 100 after he had luckily pulled off that leglock in their first encounter), but look when brock fought randy, he was nothing but respectful after which is what you can expect after 106.

• danw84 says:

How exactly do you know who trains harder? Is retaining the belt that much more of a motivation than getting the belt? If so, it’s confusing how often the LHW belt changes hands. You’re making quite a few assumptions without much to back them up. Div 1 and Div 2 are different, but I don’t think that alone justifies all your claims.

• bigbadjohn says:

well we know that 40 hours (atleast) of carwins time every week are soaked up by engineering. and we do know brock has spent 6 figures organizing his latest camp. i didnt even get to the obvious arguements Danw84, So… would gonzaga take mir, doubt it. couture? we know that answer already. and heath herring? id put my money on him over gonzaga too. i mean COME ONNNN

• danw84 says:

Well I definitely disagree about Gonzaga vs Herring; I think Gonzaga would wreck him. Mir, not sure, but I think it would be a good fight. Couture, yeah we do know how it went. However, Carwin ko’d Gonzaga very earily in the first round, it took Randy until the 3rd to beat him. What’s that mean? Not much, I don’t think comparing past fights against different opponents is worth all that much, but in the end Randy DID give Brock his toughest fight so far.

It’s true that Carwin still works a job, and doesn’t have as expensive of a training camp, but that doesn’t necessarily win a fight. Carwin isn’t stupid, I don’t think he’d keep working if it was seriously affecting his training camp. If anything it just goes to show Carwin’s work ethic.

Who knows? I don’t think anyone can really make all that convincing an argument on either side. I think the one thing so far everyone has agreed on and will continue to agree on is that regardless of how much gas either fighter has in the tank, 5 rounds are definitely not necessary for this fight.

• neijia says:

Div 1 or Div 2, an elite wrestler won’t gas easily. It’s not a fight of cardio. Both have big KO power. It’s not a fight of power. The power has to connect.

Lesnar is presumably better at wrestling. However, this is MMA, not pure grappling. Carwin has more striking experience – even if most fights were not against “legit” competition, that experience is still by nature markedly different from gym sparring experience. Carwin has an edge in standup striking, Lesnar the edge in takedowns and gnp. Gonzaga was able to take down Carwin so no question Lesnar can. However, can Carwin’s boxing make an impact first? That is pretty much the deciding factor.

• twyg says:

I know Brock is huge and all but has his chin ever been tested? Carwin came back and KO’ed Gabe after getting rocked. That being said Carwin has been rocked, but Brock has yet to show one punch knock out power IMO. He did hurt Herring and I think he rocked Mir in their first fight. Still no true KOs for Brock yet; only TKOs. The whole thing about Brocks post fight antics with Mir, I think that was something personal. He was very good after the Couture fight. Also for those questioning Shanes gas tank, Brock has gone three rounds but he did look like he was gassing with Couture. Brock is going to walk in at like 285, and it takes a lot of air to fuel a body that big. I am going back and forth on this fight, it is really hard to pick a true favorite. This fight goes one of two ways; Brock by TKO (ground and pound) or Carwin by KO. Not going past the third either way.

• danw84 says:

Is kneeling beside a person and throwing hammer fists as fast as possible ground and pound? Because if not, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Brock use what I’ve always thought ground and pound is.

• qat says:

KTru:

wow, since my sole opinion seems to be enough to go down as order, maybe i should state my opinion that its not good give me thumbs down, coz i seem to have the most of them. 😉

nah, just kidding. i’m really looking forward to that fight, but i think its rather hard to predict. lesnar never fought a guy like carwin, neither did carwin ever fight a guy like lesnar. and we havent seen that much of them so far.
    what will lesnar do if carwin can actually stop his takedowns? we dont know, he was tested against couture, but can he survive a standup with carwin?. what will carwin do if he cannot stop them? gonzaga had him on the ground. but we dont know either. but we will. :)

but one thing is for sure: the wwe has nothing to do with this fight or its prediction, and to bring it up is just simpleminded. what happens after a fight is another story, i agree, but i meant comments about scripted bouts and determined outcomes. i just don’t like carwin bringing that up again, its the same boring story over again.
    but lets be real, guys like tito ortiz had some serious trashtalk as well, is that alright coz he never was in wwe? and i dont remember ken shamrock getting this amount of hate because of wwe..
    i believe many guys just don’t like lesnars personality, which is perfectly fine. but i also believe that lesnar would not act any different if he never were in wwe. he is not that sort of showguy, call me a fool if you want, but i really believe that.

• cocoonofhorror says:

“well we know that 40 hours (atleast) of carwins time every week are soaked up by engineering”

LMAO, i’ve got a bridge for sale if you are interested, and i know that you are….

• mikee1980 says:

Shane Carwin, I will be rooting for you and praying for you like no other!! Brock is a piece of crap and I do not condone how he treats his fans. How could anyone be a fan of his how he treats them? He tries avoiding them, and does the bare minimum to keep them. I hate people who forget where they come from and if you are in the spotlight, you are going to have people that idolize you. To treat them with such disrespect is a cardinal sin in my opinion. That is just my opinion of course. Screw you Lesnar, I hope you take a brutal nap!

• s13 says:

I guess everyone forgets that Shane is 11-0 with 11ko/tkos all within 3 minutes…but yeah that doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t mean anything that an old much slower and weaker randy couture broke brock’s spirit in the first round (brock was gassed and had the dear in the headlights look) so i don’t see brock wearing out carwin…nevermind a 220lb guy was dominating the awsome lesnar…lets not forget that lesnar doesn’t take punches well (see mir lesnar 2 as soon as he was touched)….lets not forget that carwin hits alot harder than brock and has had his chin checked and still fought through till the finish (nose broke vs napao but we know how that finished). I just can’t wait to see how many carwin supporters come out once cock lesnar…er…brock lesnar becomes #12 in under 3 mins on shane’s resume.

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO @ praying for a fighter. give it a rest.

• neijia says:

The Lesnar that fought Mir in their second bout was already better than the Lesnar that was getting pushed around by Couture’s dirty boxing (I wouldn’t quite say dominated since Lesnar dominated the clinches). His hammer strikes in gnp are much better now. Further, he has surely improved since Lesnar-Mir 2. Carwin is no doubt the better boxer. We haven’t really seen Carwin doing great evasion or Couture type dirty boxing, though, and if Gonzaga can take him down, Lesnar can easily take him down.

My armchair analysis for Carwin: it would be a very good tactical idea for Carwin to copy Couture’s tactic – push Lesnar to the fence as soon as possible, then back off to pick some strikes, then push again — avoids Lesnar’s rush by taking it to him and closing down the space and confines things to boxing range as much as possible. Long range (space for Lesnar’s shot) is a very, very bad idea.

Very tough to call, other than to say it’s likely TKO via gnp by Lesnar or KO by Carwin standing. Difficult to see it going 5 rounds. Should be a very good matchup.

• danw84 says:

This fight needs to hurry up and get here.

• danw84 says:

Someone really disagreed with me on that? Haha weirdo.

• nope says:

Ktru = troll

+1 on S13

Carwin early in the 2nd

• moosebaby02 says:

s13 says:
    October 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm (Quote) I guess everyone forgets that Shane is 11-0 with 11ko/tkos all within 3 minutes…but yeah that doesn’t mean anything.

one thing s13 Carwin has 5 KO/TKO and 6 SUBS and yeah that means a whole lot.
    dont leave that arm out there brock you might get caught

• RU486 says:

Moosebaby I was going to say just that. Carwin supposedly has a solid jiu jitsu game, which combined with his size should be a real threat. Chances are, he will fare rather well off his back if it goes there. Wrestlers generally hate being on their back, but the ones that have transitioned into jiu jitsu are comfortable there (think Jeremy Horn)

I personally want Carwin to win this fight because I’m tired of hearing about Brock Lesnar being the bees-knees when he’s only fought 5 fights. Lesnar has outweighed each of his 4 opponents by at least 40 lbs. at fight-time, which makes a substantial difference. How will he do with someone he can’t throw around like a ragdoll that has engine blocks for fists and can break your leg as well? We will all see.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Personally I think Carwin is a b grade fighter and will fall by the wayside soon after he loses and the UFC brainwashing machine…er, I mean marketing machine drops him cold.
    But having said that a lot of you assume he is a good fighter, I don’t know why, perhaps…could it be…the marketing? I mean who has this guy beaten to deserve such support? that’s right! Gonzaga once he got sloppy. Again I could be wrong but I would say Gonzaga would destroy this guy in a rematch. Lesnar may find this more difficult than his other fights against Heath “journey man” Herring and Randy “I’ve won 2 and lost 4 since 2002” Couture but I would say Carwin will end up on his back and out.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

“Chances are, he will fare rather well off his back if it goes there.”
    Is he as good as Mir or Herring? because they got destroyed. Clutching at straws my friend. Comparing Carwin to Horn! dude dream on. Horn has been 1 of the best sub guys in his weight and has like 2 million fights against top guys that outweigh him Like Liddel, Couture, Babalu etc. Carwin on the other hand has fought guys like Nobody, Irrelevant, No good and Gonzaga and got luky against Napao.

• moosebaby02 says:

i think what he was comparing to was that Brock wont have same a size advantage like he has with his pervious 5 fights izzle
    Brock has HUGE size advantage in ALL HIS 5 FIGHTS. Lets see what he can do with someone his own size and MORE experience
    and as for HYPE MACHAINE……who has been more hyped between Brock and Carwin????

• scarred fighter says:

both of them have really weak chins so im excited to see which one of these monsters will fall first. If anyone is going to beat broc its soing to be carwin

• Shane is da Man, unfortunately for him (and anybody else for that matter) Brock is unbeatable right now! But hey, its mma…anything can happen lol

• wifeinthong says:

Im going for Brock but I have to addmit great match up,

• cocoonofhorror says:

Oh, wow. You haven’t seen the second Mir fight yet? Hamburger Hill.

• elkymbo says:

I reckon Brock is a fat bastard.

• edub says:

cocoonofhorror: “is kneeling beside a person and throwing hammer fists as fast as possible ground and pound? Because if not, i don’t think i’ve ever seen brock use what i’ve always thought ground and pound is.”Oh, wow. You haven’t seen the second Mir fight yet? Hamburger Hill.

Yea if you wanna prove a point why dont you just pull guard and show how innate is gnp is.