Fabricio Werdum vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva set for “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers” (UPDATED)

Fabricio WerdumIt’s looking as if a heavyweight showdown between fellow Brazilians Fabricio Werdum and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva is likely for “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers” on November 7.

At first Werdum revealed to Tatame.com that the fight had been agreed to, but then went on to express doubt in the match-up coming to fruition, explaining, “My manager called me asking if I agree to fight him, and I said yes and that I was ready, but I think this fight won’t happen anymore. He’ll probably fight for Sengoku’s title. Strikeforce made a partnership with Dream, so my manager said I can also fight in Japan, at Dream”.

However, Silva’s manager Alex Davis has since had this to say in regards to the potential match-up between the two, “I spoke with them and they said everything is ok. I’m in Brazil and I don’t know more about it, but I think it’s gonna happen”.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date on this possible fight.

UPDATE: Since the posting of this story, all the usual sources are claiming to be the first reporting  that this fight has been confirmed by sources close to both camps.  Strikeforce has not as of this update confirmed the match up.

• Niv says:

Well I dare say Big Foot Silva, possibly Bobby Lashley, SF’s HW division is all of the sudden looking pretty decent to say the least.

I see some potential good fights coming in the HW division.

• dpk says:

This will be a great fight, can’t wait to see it.

• saerbarnet says:

Will Antonio Silva really get a license in the US again?

• metalmulisha says:

saerbarnet: Will Antonio Silva really get a license in the US again?

• Joseph says:

Who doesn’t think this would be an awesome HW class?

Alistair Overeem
    Daniel Cormier
    Abongo Humphrey
    Daniel Puder
    Jon Murphy
    Carl Seumanutafa
    Mike Cook

I would love to see all of Strikeforce’s weight classes develop, and you have to take into account they have done this in less than a year.

• mpwhite2 says:

Are Arlovski and Sylvia still under contract with Strikeforce?

• “Do you think that Strikeforce would be negotiating with him without knowing whether or not he’d be licensed again? Think about it.”

• edub says:

I dont know about Arlovski but Sylvia isnt. Abongo Humphrey is fighting at lhw now also, and til i see a contract I doubt Bigfoot will fight in Strikeforce.

Antonio Silva- Sengoku
    Sengoku/Dream=Rivals
    Dream/Strikeforce=Partners

Im not saying its impossible. Im just saying Ill believe it when I see it.

• edub says:

Sergio Hernandez: “Do you think that Strikeforce would be negotiating with him without knowing whether or not he’d be licensed again? Think about it.”This is the company that signed Herschel Walker to an MMA contract and allows their HW champion to fight for any company BUT theirs. I literally don’t know what to expect from SF now.

…ZING!!

• xtreme_machine says:

I think Werdum would beat him

• moosebaby02 says:

Here is my problem
    Shouldnt this all been taken care of like a month and a half ago???????
    When first heard the annoucement for this card and it will be on CBS i was stoked. but reading all the dog and pony show going on with 30 days left leaves me to think a little more about the direction that Strikeforce is going. Where the hell is M-1??? Other than this site (i really dont venue around that much on line) i still havent heard anything about this card.
    At least i will get to watch Fedor fight for about 3 min and Miller vs Shields for the belt

• David Andrest says:

Sergio Hernandez: “Do you think that Strikeforce would be negotiating with him without knowing whether or not he’d be licensed again? Think about it.”This is the company that signed Herschel Walker to an MMA contract and allows their HW champion to fight for any company BUT theirs.I literally don’t know what to expect from SF now.

+1 for logic

• mpwhite2 says:

Strikeforce should pick up Butterbean vs. Tank Abbott, the technical battle MMA purists have been wishing for for years. That’s the fight the nation wants to see!

• metalmulisha says:

Wow I literally can not believe some of the comments on here.

• BigDave says:

This card is gonna suck lets face it. Rogers couldn’t hold fedors jock strap and Silva isn’t on werdum’s level plus who knows if this guy will ever pass a piss test.

• edub says:

metalmulisha: Wow I literally can not believe some of the comments on here. A lot of idiocy going on here today to say the least, and that’s about as nice I could be for the majority of the comments above.

Examples?

• fetussandwich says:

I literally can’t believe your comment about literally not believing the comments.

• metalmulisha says:

edub:
    Examples?

Come on you’re smart enough to figure out which ones I’m referring to.

• edub says:

metalmulisha: Come on you’re smart enough to figure out which ones I’m referring to.I purposely didn’t mention anyone by name to avoid a back & forth argument that no one wants to let go.

I just didnt see any arguments that were too asinine. In fact the worsed one I saw was after you thats why I asked.

Not trying to start an argument with you either just wondering.

• scarred fighter says:

cant wait to see that fight. finally bigfoot is going to face a real opponent.

• fraz says:

Since Strikeforce’s HW champion Overeem never fights in Strikeforce, it makes sense to line up a match like this so they have somebody to hype up as Fedor’s next victim.

• CMT says:

Just in Tito vs Forrest II.

• neijia says:

Exactly, lol. I’ll tune in for the last 3 minutes.

• xtreme_machine says:

Forrest vs Tito @ UFC 106

IT’s ON!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Joseph you can include guys like Kharitonov, Aleks, Hunt and a few others like Schilt and K1, M1 fighters. I think it as good if not better as the UFCs HW division as guys like Carwin, Valasquez, Kongo, Herring and Crocop have a certain amount of doubt surrounding there TRUE ability now and Couture a guy who has only won 2 out of his last 6 HW fights is at LHW.

• hindsightufuk says:

think it would make a great fight but i would also think if its not signed by now and every one is clean, its unlikely to happen

• metalmulisha says:

Where are all the posters now who thought this was Bull Shit because Silva wouldn’t get a license and thought Strikeforce was negotiating with him for no reason?

• edub says:

There on a different thread. I was wrong in the fact that I didn’t think Sengoku would allow Silva to fight for their rival so HAA.