Mousasi confirms title defense on November 7th

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi has confirmed that he will defend his title at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on November 7 which airs on CBS.

The news was confirmed by Mousasi on M-1global.com, authough no opponent has been named at this time.

With Nov. 7 only one short month away, speculation is surrounding only two fighters.

One is Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Mousasi was scheduled to fight Sokoudjou in the semi-finals of DREAM‘s Super Hulk Tournament, but withdrew from the fight due to a shoulder injury. Sokoudjou went on to defeat Mousasi’s replacement Bob Sapp quickly and without suffering any noticable damage in the bout.

Paulo Fihlo has also been rumored. Fihlo and Mousasi engaged in a bitter war of words after the Light Heavyweight made quick work of Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Fihlo had been quoted by Tateme.com as saying “I wanna fight Mousasi and show that with against me is a whole different thing… He doesn’t have my strength, he doesn’t have my level on the ground. He can be a better striker, but he doesn’t have my strength and he’ll go down once and be submitted…He’s well trained, but I don’t think he’s healthy enough to beat me…If he wins, I don’t even want my salary.”

Mousasi was quick to fire back in the now infamous Fighters.com interview in which Mousasi said. “We all saw what happened when he came to America,” Mousasi said. “He got beat up. Now he’s back in Japan, and he feels like a kid in a candy store. He can use all kinds of steroids, and I think the steroids have gone to his head,”

Regardless, with such late notice one has to wonder what Strikeforce is doing if their Light Heavyweight Champion is scheduled for a fight in 30 days and is still not aware who he is facing.

• moosebaby02 says:

who cares who he fights I just want to watch him fight.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS

• moosebaby02 says:

it would be the best he they do get Paulo Fihlo if he can get a “CLEAN” test first

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think Filho will take it on short notice as it takes a while to cycle all thoes “steriods” out.
    Really at 205 I dont think Filho is much stronger than Mousasi, I would rather Sokodju face him.

• YetiLee says:

I am pretty sure Sokodju would need to cleanse his body as well Fan, After watching his last 2 fights, I am thinking he is on the juice.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Filho cant pass a drug test of any kind, and Soko sucks. give Bobby Southworth the fight.

• edub says:

Coker needs to get his sh*t together. THis should be common knowledge by now regarding him on this card and his opponent. Shit ask Jacare if he wants the fight.

• xtreme_machine says:

Sokoudjou

but i don’t think he an beat Mousasi

• BigDave says:

Mousasi makes short work of either guy so pick the one with a bit of bad blood let gegard beat up on filho. Whoever said southworth i want some of what you smoking he sucks donkey nuts. Jacera would be interesting but he would only have a shot if it went to the ground and even there he isn’t on mousasi’s level.

• fraz says:

On the Strikeforce website, they just announced that they signed HENDO for this match.

Just kidding.

• GassedOut says:

LOL Fraz…you got me! You also owe me a clean shirt…I sipping coffee when I read that… 😉

• QueenKong says:

After seeing what Mousasi did to Babalu I doubt Soko will want this fight unless they offer him big bucks for losing.I hope it’s Filho and I’ve heard Arona’s name rumored too.I won’t be too surprised if it ends up being somebody we’ve never heard of taking it last min though;like when Gabe Lemly fought Gil Melendez.Even Bobby Southworth would be better than that.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Wow. Mousasi’s fight isn’t even a title defense anymore.

However, Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today told (a different website, not as good as 5oz though) Mousasi will actually take part in a non-title fight. His opponent? TBA.

• YetiLee says:

I don’t know who this TBA guy is, but he sure is fighting a lot of guys at the strikeforce event.

• Angry Mike says:

Filho could be the most entertaining fight, steroids or not. The question would be whether he shows up in shape and ready. He looked good against Manhoef at Dream 10 in July, but I can’t forget the way he looked and acted during his final fight in WEC against Sonnen.

• edub says:

“but he would only have a shot if it went to the ground and even there he isn’t on mousasi’s level.”

Wait, wait, wait did you just say Jacare wasn’t on the same level as Mousasi on the ground. Big Dave Im gonna chalk that up to u just not thinking before you wrote.

Jacare probably is the worsed person for SF to bring in because he has the best shot at beating Mousasi. Filho has No shot in a fight with Mousasi. None what so ever.

If they can’t get Sokoudjou who I think would make for a great fight, I’d say bring in Abongo Humphrey. Big strong athletic looking guy with KO power. It would be a good win visualy speaking to the casual fan. Kind of like when Vitor steamrolled an abolutely ripped Marvin Eastman.

• YetiLee says:

Looks like they got Sokoudjou.