Official 5 Oz. Rankings: Light Heavyweight

lyoto_machida-025FiveOuncesofPain.com is back with it’s brand new and highly official light heavyweight rankings.

Agree or disagree, these ranking were compiled in a completely unbiased manner based on several decisive contributing factors to the decision making process. There will be no delusional (hopefully) or political slants to these rankings
The different factors taken into account when considering the placing of the various top ten listers included, among a variety of other variables:

A) Recent activity at the weight class. Basically the deciding factor was that if you have competed your last two fights or more at a given weight, that’s your division.

For example, Some are going to be upset to see that Hendo and Rich Franklin aren’t considered for 205 due to the fact that neither have competed at the weight class in two or more bouts. Although a case could be made for either man jumping right into the top ten as soon as they return to the weight.

A guy like Anderson Silva is going to be ranked in both the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions due to the fact that he consistently bounces back and forth between divisions.

B) Activity. I could make a very strong case for putting Tito Ortiz in the 205 top ten, but he hasn’t been fighting. Someone like Alistair Overeem that hasn’t fought in over ten months also takes a significant hit for not competing.

C) Level of competition faced in the past

D) Recent wins over top contenders

E) Experience

Like always, we invite you to post your own personal rankings, and agree or disagree with us in a loosely respectful manner in the comment section below.

1. Lyoto Machida: It’s hard to argue against the least hit fighter in the history of the UFC’s current occupation of the top spot at 205 pounds after his complete destruction of Rashad Evans during UFC 98. Previous lopsided victories over highly regarded fighters such as Thiago Slva, Tito Ortiz, Rich Franklin, Stephan Bonnar and a ballooned up B.J. Penn make it close to impossible to consider Machida for any other position at light heavyweight other than #1 until the elusive Brazilian suffers his first career defeat.

2. Rashad Evans: While both are former champions and an argument could be made for either Rampage Jackson or Rashad Evans in the second spot, a recent and decisive TKO stoppage over Forrest Griffin wound up being the deciding factor in this one.

3. Quinton Jackson: Even though the last time Rampage suffered a defeat in convincing fashion was at the hands of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Jackson has gone on to accomplish much more in the weight class since their meeting in April of 2005, including already having obtained the UFC light heavyweight crown.

4. Mauricio Rua: I’m certain that there may be many that feel like Forrest Griffin’s victory over Rua should automatically secure his spot above the dangerous Brazilian, I will point to back to back losses for Forrest, and back to back wins for Shogun as the reasoning behind this choice.

5. Anderson Silva: Silva may not have competed in the division more than twice during his time spent with the UFC, but his recent, and thorough annihilation of former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin makes it hard to place “The Spider” much lower than fifth.

6. Forrest Griffin: Two consecutive losses to fighters like Rashad Evans and Anderson Silva don’t cancel out victories over Mauricio Rua and Rampage Jackson in my eyes. Forrest is a former 205 pound champion at the highest level and the guys that fall beneath him on this list have a little more proving to do against top flight competition before they take his place.

7. Gegard Mousasi: My gut tells me to place Mousasi higher than seventh based on the level of talent he has displayed in the past alone. However, one win over a top 15 light heavyweight in Renato “Babalu” Sobral leaves me little room to justify Mousasi climbing any higher than this spot until he is tested another time or two at the weight class.

8. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: Although Lil Nog hasn’t faced the highest rated guys in the world since his upset defeat at the hands of Sokoudjou in February of 2007, four impressive victories, including a win over the highly regarded Vladimir Matyushenko, and previous wins over Dan Henderson and Alistair Overeem make a case for Nogueira belonging in the top ten an easy one to make.

9. Thiago Silva: Having the only loss of Thiago’s professional fighting career coming to the #1 rated light heavyweight is nothing for the dangerously well rounded ATT fighter to hang his head about. A recent devastating knockout victory over Keith Jardine put Silva in a position where one more win over top opposition could jump him up a few spots on this list in the blink of an eye.

10. Luis Cane: An impressive win over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 106 in November and Cane shoots up these rankings. While being impressive and undefeated count for a lot, a win over a top rated 205’er is the only thing holding this heavy handed knockout artist down on the 5 Oz. rankings right now.

Honorable Mentions: Keith Jardine, Tito Ortiz, Jon Jones, Matt Hamill, Renato “Babalu” Sobral, Brandon Vera, Eric Schafer

• metalmulisha says:

1. Mousasi
    2. Machida
    3. Anderson Silva
    4. Rashad Evans
    5. Shogun
    6. Rampage
    7. Jon Jones
    8. Luis Cane
    9. Thiago Silva
    10. Sokoudjou

• edub says:

1. Lyoto- Nuff said
    2. Rampage- 6-1 in last 7 fights with wins against, a prime Liddell, Hendo, Wand, and Jardine.
    3. Rashad- Good wins over Griffin and Liddell.
    4. Spider- Dominant in two wins; One against a very overrated James Irvin, and the other the most dominating performance ever put up against Forrest Griffin(which I hold in very high regard.)
    5. Shogun- Two lackluster wins coming off a very disapointing loss to Griffin. Career record keeps him near top for me.
    6. Thiago Silva- Most wins by KO agianst “no named” opponents, but shows a lot of talent. Great game plan to time left hooks against Jardine.
    7. Forrest Griffin- Third in my rankings before Silva loss. Needs good win to get back on track, and maybe after seeing his interviews to get back his sanity.
    8. Lil Nog- Wins over Matyushenko are hard to come by. Still shows ever improving skills after being in the game for a long time.
    9. Gegard Mousasi- Mountain of potential. Best win is over Sobral. Problem will be getting ranked opponents.
    10. Jon Jones- Good wins over Bonnar and O’Brien. Possibly the only person on this list with more potential then Mousasi.

• neijia says:

Silva could easily beat any of 2 – 4, so I’d put him at 2, but the logic does make sense. Can’t believe you put Mousasi above Machida and Silva, metalmulisha. Jon Jones should be near the top of the list soon.

• edub says:

metalmulisha: If you’re going to rank Anderson Silva he should be 3rd. and what strong case could be made for Tito Ortiz who hasn’t had a win since he beat Shamrock in 2006?1. Mousasi2. Machida3. Anderson Silva4. Rashad Evans5. Shogun6. Rampage7. Jon Jones8. Luis Cane9. Thiago Silva10. Sokoudjou

You cant be serious. How in the world would Mousasi be ranked #1.

• metalmulisha says:

edub:
    You cant be serious. How in the world would Mousasi be ranked #1.

Why can’t I be serious?

If they fought right now I’d take Mousasi over Machida so why wouldn’t I rank him 1st?

Rankings are all subjective right? I mean you think Frank Mir is a top 3 heavyweight and I’d have a hard time putting him in a top 20 list so to each his own.

• Ronin says:

Light Heavyweight
    1. Lyoto Machida
    2. Quinton Jackson
    3. Rashad Evans
    4. Forrest Griffin
    5. Mauricio Rua
    6. Gegard Mousasi
    7. Thiago Silva
    8. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
    9. Renato Sobral
    10. Luis Arthur Cane

• edub says:

metalmulisha: Why can’t I be serious?

Well theres your first problem Machida would pwn Mousasi.

• edub says:

But you are definately correct to each his own.

• danw84 says:

How long until Rampage gets dropped off all the lists? Or I guess more accurately, how long until people believe he is truly retired?

• metalmulisha says:

edub:
    Well theres your first problem Machida would pwn Mousasi.
    And My own personal rankings are based mostly on fight history, and level of competition. WIth my own feelings on who would beat who playing a small factor.Yours are apparently fully based on opinion. So mine really dont compare to yours.

lol. EVERYONE’s rankings are based on opinion, and yours do compare to mine we each have 8 of the same fighters in our top 10 just in a different order.

Rankings wouldn’t be such a much debated topic if everyone’s rankings were exact.

• edub says:

I dont have a guy who has one fight at a certain weight class against a non top 5 opponent at the top. Thats why i said our rankings really dont compare.

And actually rankings shouldn’t be based on opinion. Opinion can be involved. But it should be based on the main factors Cory talked about inthe opening part of this article.

• mikee1980 says:

I would really like to see Couture ranked. I believe he deserves to be on either list and if not in the top five, close to it.

• danw84 says:

Couture hasn’t fought at LHW in so long, we don’t know how well he matches up there at the moment.

• Cory Brady says:

mikee1980:

I wanted to rank Couture, trust me I did, but Randy is in a weird situation where he just lost twice at heavyweight and decided to move down to light heavyweight, yet hasn’t competed at the weight class since 2006, which was a KO loss to Chuck Liddell. As soon…… er, if Randy beats Brandon Vera at 105 he will take an immediate spot on this list.

• edub says:

Cory do u think Couture and Vera should be ranked at the same spot on the list based on whoever wins, or would you have Couture ranked higher.

• Cory Brady says:

metalmulisha:

What strong case could be made for Tito Ortiz who hasn’t had a win since he beat Shamrock in 2006?

Outside of the fact that he can’t be considered due to inactivity, in the last two years that Tito did compete, he picked up a win over Forrest Griffin, went to a draw with Rashad Evans and gave Machida his toughest test to date (see nasty triangle attempt in round 3). If you’re keeping track, that’s the last three UFC light heavyweight champions that Ortiz has done pretty well against.

If Tito defeats Mark Coleman convincingly, which I’m confident he will, he instantly jumps into the top ten.

• Cory Brady says:

edub:

Do you mean: Where would I rank each one if they were to win the fight?

• BigDave says:

4. mousasi
    5. griffin
    6. silva
    7. Sobral

• edub says:

Cory Brady: Do you mean: Where would I rank each one if they were to win the fight?If that’s the question, I’d honestly have to say that there is a different standard for Randy based on his past accomplishments in the division. So if Randy wins convincingly I don’t see him falling any lower than 7 or 8, while if Vera wins convincingly, he’ll probably break the top ten, but a lot depends on the Nogueira vs. Cane match-up. Either way, one of those Brazilians will be taking a short hiatus from the list when they lose.

Yea exactly my question. Good points.

BigDave: good list i feel 4-7 is really tough to call Mousasi beat sobral who beat rua. Griffin has also beat rua and ranpage but was destroyed by silva. Silva is the current king of 185 but only one legit at 205. I can’t justify rua being as high as 7. As it stands right now 4 through 7 for me would be…..4. mousasi5. griffin6. silva7. SobralI would have Rua at 10 at the moment and would drop cane of for now but a win over lil nog and he will be right back on. But this list i feel will be changed in the near future with some of the fights on tap. I will be watching thats for sure.

MMAth is complicated.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Rashad Evans is the most OVER RATED fighter on that list. I would like to see him fight Anderson Silva and Rampage. If he beats either of them then he can be ranked higher then them.

• xtreme_machine says:

edub: Good list. Changes that should be made by any LOGICAL person…you know im kidding but heres the way I see it.
    1. Lyoto- Nuff said
    3. Rashad- Good wins over Griffin and Liddell.

agree 100%

• Dana Black says:

There a little something im confused about. Shogun is ranked 6th on your pound for pound list but is 4th on the light heavyweight ranking?

• twyg says:

1. Machida- The best in the division the only person that has a chance at beating him is..
    2. A.Silva- Yes he has only two fights in the division but besides Machida no one at 205 beats him.
    3. Evans- Can beat anyone at 205 besides the two men mentioned above.
    4. Lil Nog- Has put the Sokoudjou lose behind him and looks great since then.
    5. Mousasi- Lack of quality opponents keeps him from going higher. Ton of potential.
    6. Shogun- Two wins over AARP members and a lose in your UFC debute are what keep him from reaching the top five. Must see the 4th round against the champ to keep from dropping off.
    7. T.Silva- One lose against the man is not bad. The Jardine fight was a good first step towards fighting quality opponents.
    8. Griffin- Two loses coming to two top five guys isn’t bad, but it’s not good either. A solid win and some luck with guys losing gets him moving on up.
    9. Cane- See article
    10. Vera- Good fighter, Randy fight will tell us a lot.
    Rampage retired and until he comes back he is off the list.

• fraz says:

1. Machida
    2. A. Silva (I don’t give a shit that he’s only had 2 fights at LHW)
    3. Mousasi
    4. Rua
    5. Evans
    6. T. Silva
    7. Rampage
    8. Lil’ Nog
    9. Forrest
    10. Cane

• TheHouse says:

I would really like to see Forest take on Thiago Silva. I think that would a great fight. I don’t think Silva would be as capable or fast as Evans was and no one is as dynamic as Anderson. And Forest could probably stay heavy on Thiago and not allow him too much breathing room. A couple of leg kicks could slow Thiago down. The winner gets winner of Evans vs……. with THAT winner getting next shot at Machida after removes the Fighter formerly known as Shogun from consciousness.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Why would Anderson Silva be top 10 LHW?
    1 win of substance gives him top 10!? No it doesn’t! you are saying he is top 10 based on 1 fight. It was an incredibly poor performance from Forrest as well. Please don’t say “he makes good fighters look bad” because he made Lutter, Cote, Gono, Takse, Azerado, Otsuka and a few others look BETTER than they are and the only good fighters he has made look bad was Franklin and perhaps Marquadt. I think Forrest made himself look bad. Same goes for Mousasi he has only fought at LHW once as far as I know. So you base your top 10’s on “I think he is good” or “He won that fight easily”and not much else.

• bjjnut says:

seriously stop hitting the bottle anybody that has sokoudjou in the top 10 is drunk!