Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva set for UFC 108

thiago_silva

Thiago Silva vs. Rashad Evans UFC 108

After Quinton “Rampage” Jackson removed himself from his UFC 107 bout to appear as B.A. Baracus in the A-Team remake, former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will now be facing off with American Top Team’s Thiago Silva at UFC 108.

It has recently been reported by MMAJunkie.com that both parties have agreed to the bout, which will be the co-main event to a middleweight championship bout between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort.

UFC 108 is set to take place from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on January 2.

Both men will be looking to get back into the title picture following mutual losses to current UFC 205 pound champion, Lyoto Machida.

There will also be a certain degree of the revenge factor in the match-up as Thiago most recently knocked out close friend and training partner to Evans, “The Dean of Mean” Keith Jardine.

Also expected for the card is a lightweight showdown between Joe Lauzon and Sam Stout.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rashad will ko this guy in about two minutes. Thiago offers absoultyl no problems for Evans.

• This is a really good undercard bout to Silva/Vitor’s headlining fight.

I’m still pretty pissed we won’t see Evans/Rampage, though. At least, not any time soon…

• Angry Mike says:

I think this will be a better fight than Rashad v. Rampage. Imo, Rampage hasn’t been the same since his split with Jaunito. Frankly, at the risk of sounding like I’m trolling, I wonder if Rampage is ducking Rashad.

• “Frankly, at the risk of sounding like I’m trolling, I wonder if Rampage is ducking Rashad.”

I don’t think that’s what it is at all. This is the guy who stepped in the cage with Wandy after being brutally KOed by him twice in Japan. This is the guy who took a fight with Jardine, who is notorious for giving elite fighters fits, while injured.

Rampage seems to wear his heart on his sleeve and is probably genuinely hurt by what he considers disrespect from Dana and the UFC. He also seems very small picture and doesn’t seem to plan long-term.

• xtreme_machine says:

I am going with silva on this one

Rashad is going to move around and try to avoid thiago’s power punch but eventually Thiago will catch him and KO

just like his little Techno-Viking buddy

• Makington says:

I think Rashad can take this one. In my eyes, Thiago still has some proving to do. I know he’s a good fighter, and top ten, but he hasn’t gotten any big wins against big guys that made me say wow. He did beat Jardine, but Jardine is absolutely notorious for his inconsistency. His fights have never gone how they should have, he’s basically a walking paradox.

• nope says:

techno viking…lol

I like this fight a lot.

• fanoftna33 says:

• 27jride says:

I am praying Silva KO’s Rashad in absolutely devastating fashion; I’m talking medics and stretchers and all that!

I doubt I’ll get my way here so I’m looking at Rashad wet blanketing a decision like the way he fought Tito. BORING.

• edub says:

I am hopping Rashad wins here and uses it to make a run at MW gold. He has talked about fighting Anderson before and with his size I think he could tare people up at 185. Hes probably still top three at lhw I just think he could be devastating at MW.

Evans vs Henderson- now that has a good ring to it.

• Rich S. says:

Rashad has shattered my world on countless occasions..

For that, I can never bet against him again..

Rashad via UD..

• edub says:

OH and along with hoping* Rashad wins I think he will win. In devastating fashion too.

Fan I think your right on too in saying that the fights switched wouldve been a lot more exciting.

• gy614x says:

Silva KO rd 2. No doubt in my mind

• manny says:

Have you noticed every time jardine figths someone win or loss, evans fight them next, or vice verza? Jardine fought lidell, then it was evans turn. Jardine fought Griffin, then it was Evans turn, Jardine fought Rampage, it was suposed to be evans next, now Jardine fought silva and now its Evans turn. Crazy! I know they wont fight each other cuz their friends and all. It reminds me of getting my a** kicked and then calling on my big bro to fight the perons whow kick my a** . LOL

I’m going for Silva but not sure if he will be able to handle evans speed. If so, Silva by KO 3rd rd.

• 27jride says:

Fanoftna33 I really like your idea!

• xtreme_machine says:

fanoftna33: I dont think Thiago can take a punch from a guy that hits with Rashads power, I think if the ufc had switched around the Couture vs Vrea fight with this for Randy vs Rashad and Vera vs Silve we would see better fights, two good wrestlers fighting and two good strikers.

i disagree

what would a win for Rashad over Couture do for him? – Nothing

and a Vera Silva fights would be a Decision because Vera would avoid all of his power punches

• fanoftna33 says:

A win over a 5 time ufc champion is a big win, Randy has faced way more top competition than Silva and Evans combined,
    As for Vera vs Silva I think with the attack style of Silve it would force Vera to really get in and fight, regardless of how good his chin is, Silva doest give people room to dance. I think that would be a great fight.

• MMApride19 says:

fanoftna33: A win over a 5 time ufc champion is a big win,Randy has faced way more top competition than Silva and Evans combined,

I disagree, Randy is moving down from HW to LHW. He wont be considered a top contender for the LHW title yet. Well especially not in the same position as Rashad is. If Rashad were to beat Couture… You know what will happen.. On forums all over the internet there will be posts disrespecting Rashads win anyway – saying that he beat an OLD Couture. Whenever Couture loses its because he is old nowadays haha, and all the credit is taken away from the fighter who beat him. If Rashad were to lose against Couture… It would be even worse lol. He got beat by an OLD Couture… Rashad must be way over hyped…

That fight would have made no sense at all for Rashad. Where as Thiago Silva makes alot of sense. Thiago is definetly a top LHW contender, he has proved himself IMO. Although i would like him face more top fighters. Thats where the test in Rashad comes in. IMO a win over Rashad should place Thiago Silva in line for the next title shot. If Rashad beats Thiago, i think that he should have a title shot. Of course, the Rampage vs Rashad fight would have been a far better deciding fight as to who gets the shot. But as it stands.. Silva vs Evans is perfect for that, going on there current standings in the UFC.

Also, both of them both left to Machida in quite devastating fashion. This fight will be awesome i think. Really looking forward to it. Ill be rooting for Thiago Silva, i really like his style and his attitude. I want him to KO Rashad, although i dont think it will happen. I think it will go 3 Rounds actually. But we will see. Should be a great fight to watch. And shoud set up a title fight for the winner against the winner of Shogun and Machida.