5 Oz. Official Heavyweight Rankings

FedorWe’re back with the big boys of mixed martial arts following the always controversial pound for pound list that so few others care to address due to the potential backlash.

Here at 5 Oz. our position has long been, “Bring your backlash”. We stand behind our ranking system, and we’ll be right here to hear your side of things if you disagree.

Agree or disagree, these ranking were compiled in a completely unbiased manner based on several decisive contributing factors to the decision making process. There will be no delusional (hopefully) or political slants to these rankings, so just be forewarned that if you’re expecting to see Shinya Aoki in the top five at lightweight, you had better start preparing your retort right now because it’s just not happening. I’m having a problem putting him in the top ten to be completely honest.

Quite frankly, the incomprehensible lightweight ratings I have seen over the last year or so have served as the number one inspiration for the revamping of these rankings to make 5 Oz. the one place on the web you can trust to give you a rational view of where the best fighters in the world fall in line with one another.

Take a look around and hopefully you’ll see what I’m saying. You’re going to see sites that have as few as three or four UFC fighters ranked. Places that have Gesias “JZ” Calvancante in the top ten, with Gray Maynard nowhere to be found.

The different factors taken into account when considering the placing of the various top ten lister’s included, among a variety of other variables:

A) Recent activity at the weight class. Basically the deciding factor was that if you have competed your last two fights or more at a given weight, that’s your division.

For example, Some are going to be upset to see that Hendo and Rich Franklin aren’t considered for 205 due to the fact that neither have competed at the weight class in two or more bouts. Although a case could be made for either man jumping right into the top ten as soon as they return to the weight.

A guy like Anderson Silva is going to be ranked in both the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions due to the fact that he consistently bounces back and forth between divisions.

B) Activity. I could make a very strong case for putting Tito Ortiz in the 205 top ten, but he hasn’t been fighting. Someone like Alistair Overeem that hasn’t fought in over ten months also takes a significant hit for not competing.

C) Level of competition faced in the past

D) Recent wins over top contenders

E) Experience

Like always, we invite you to post your own personal rankings, and agree or disagree with us in a loosely respectful manner in the comment section below.

1. Fedor Emelianenko: While there is some question as to who may come out on top if Fedor was to square off with the second ranked heavyweight, there is little question as to who has rightfully earned the number one spot in this weight class. Longevity is the key to Emelianenko’s number one placement on this list. Until Fedor loses, or Brock Lesnar defends his title a minimum of three more times in more impressive fashion than Emelianenko, “The Last Emperor” isn’t going to budge on this list.

2. Brock Lesnar: Lesnar went from constantly being referenced as “the former WWE superstar” to one of the most feared men on the face of the earth, and he did it by fighting the toughest guys humanly possible in the blink of an eye. While much can be made about how early Brock got his shot at the championship, impressive victories over Randy Couture and Frank Mir to become the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion leave little doubt that Brock will be among the best in the heavyweight division for as long as he feels like it.

3. Frank Mir: It was hard for me to put Mir up this high. I’m not going to sit here and lie to you. Not taking away from Mir but I think his high ranking is a testament to the still developing stage of the rapidly growing heavyweight division. This list could look very different in just a few months time. I will freely point to the fact that Mir is a former UFC champion, holds the only win over the current champ, and recently completely pwned my number four guy as the reasoning behind his third place ranking.

4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: After an uncharacteristic showing in his TKO defeat suffered at the hands of Frank Mir, Big Nog totally redeemed himself in his back and forth war with Randy Couture at UFC 102. It seems as if the Nogueira of old has returned, and if that’s the case it’s a scary proposition for the other heavyweights with championship aspirations in the UFC for the next few years. Some of the notable names on Antonio’s extensive resume include Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Heath Herring, Sergei Kharitonov, Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett.

5. Josh Barnett: Whether you like the guy or not, a split decision victory over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and recent victories over the likes of Jeff Monson, Pedro Rizzo and Gilbert Yvel make it hard to justify putting Barnett any lower than the fifth spot on this list.

6. Brett Rogers: Now after the number five spot at heavyweight it starts to get a little bit tricky. Brett being undefeated and basically walking through all of his past opposition played a big part in this pick. There would be some that would argue that Carwin should be above Rogers but a win over a former UFC champion in Andrei Arlovski trumps a victory over Gabriel Gonzaga. Outside of the pair’s key wins, they have faced a similar level of competition throughout their careers with similar devastating results.

7. Shane Carwin: See above…. With that being said, both men are in extremely unique positions to make drastic jumps in the rankings if either fighter comes out on top in their next bouts.

8. Junior dos Santos: Recent impressive victories over Fabricio Werdum and Cro Cop make dos Santos a shoe in for the top ten at heavyweight. He’s another guy that could jump up drastically over the next year depending on the match-ups he ends up taking.

9. Andrei Arlovski: It’s no mystery that Andrei has seen his fair share of bad luck lately, but I don’t feel like losses to guys like Fedor and Brett Rogers should immediately eliminate all of what “The Pitbull” has accomplished at the division. Really, this choice boils down to not being able to justify placing anyone else above him based on Arlovski’s achievements at the weight class.

10. Fabricio Werdum: Although the fact that he submitted Mike Kyle recently doesn’t automatically mean that Fabricio is back to his old top ten form by any stretch of the imagination, the fact that he weighed in around the 230 pound mark for the fight, and his previous victories over numerous highly regarded heavyweights definitely did.

Honorable mentions in no particular order: Cain Velasquez, Gabriel Gonzaga, Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell, Heath Herring, Jeff Monson, & Antonio Silva

• twyg says:

Mostly agree with your list, but there are a few points of interest. First “The Pitbull” should be nowhere near a top ten list after getting brutally KO’ed in his last two fights. He is accomplished no doubt but it comes down to what have you done for me lately. So I submit Cain to move into the top ten. Next is Barnett, and while you make a great argument for his placement it is still an abomination. He is a disgrace to the sport and the less we hear about him the better. I wish he would stay under the rock he slithered under after the drug test fiasco. So he is gone and I submit Rothwell in to the list, but not in his place at #5. Fedor, Lesnar, Mir, Nog, Carwin (little difference), Rogers, Dos Santos, Velasquez, Werdum, Rothwell. There now all is right with the world. Also side note as a Chicagoan I just what to say fuck the IOC.

• edub says:

Hahahah. Fukin IOC.

Great great list. As much as I hate to see him at 6th Brett with his KO of Andrei probably belongs there. Cory how could you mess up the pfp list so bad and do such a good job on this one??LOL!
    I submit mine for you ridicule:
    1. Fedor
    2. Brock
    3. Mir
    4. Nog
    5. Josh
    6. Shane
    7. Brett
    8. Arlovski
    9. Cigano
    10.Cain

• 27jride says:

you really put Arlovski over Randy Couture?! Seriously?!

• David Andrest says:

27Jride, Randy is no longer a Heavyweight

• Cory Brady says:

Couture was not under consideration for this list due to the fact that he is set to fight Brandon Vera at LHW during UFC 105, and has intentions of competing at 205 pounds for now.

• xtreme_machine says:

Cigano vs Mir
    Nog vs Cain

or

Mir vs Nog II
    Cain vs Cigano

• Cory Brady says:

While I’m as big a fan of Velasquez as anybody, I’d ask people to reconsider his placement above someone such as Fabricio Werdum based on one victory over top opposition. Of course the same rule applies to Carwin and Rogers, but the reasoning behind their higher placement than Cain is based on the fact that both men have had close to twice the amount of fights as Velasquez, and neither has gone the distance. Where with a guy like Werdum, you have a fighter with victories over the likes of Gabriel Gonzaga, Aleksander Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem.

• TheHouse says:

So, this comment might come out of left field but I want to hear some responses. People are giving Rogers a chance at beating Fedor right? Well, is there any doubt that Lesner would absolutely tear Rogers a new one if they squared off? I mean, I would not even hesitate to say that Lesner would grind the Grim down to nothing more than a shadow of the mohawk rocking loudmouth. Now if most of us would put all our pennies down on Fedor derailing the Brock express, then how come people are still saying Mr. Angry Rogers will beat Fedor and shake up the heavyweight division?

• cocoonofhorror says:

if Mir belongs on this list at all it is at #9 or 10.

• edub says:

I got ya Cory I just think the KO to Cigano was so devastating that it knocked him off the list and the win over Mike Kyle doesnt do much in my book. This could also be applied to Arlovski, but since he holds a victory over Werdum albeit non spectacular he stays on the list in Werdums place.

I hold Cains win over Kongo in a higher regard than most people. I feel Kongo is still improving and becoming one of the most dangerous HW’s in the game, even though he is not ranked as high. I also think Kongo has a great chance at upsetting Mir dpending on which Mir shows up.

• Cory Brady says:

@ TheHouse. I think you may have the roles reversed a bit in regards to Fedor and Lesnar. I personally feel as if it is Brock that must derail the Fedor express. Lets not forget that the Brock express was alraidy derailed once, and the Fedor express has been running for much longer.

As far as there being no doubt that Lesnar would tear Rogers head off: I personally don’t think that outcome would be a given. Brett is a large 265 pounds, and he knows how to use his weight. Particularly behind his punches. Momentarly lapses during Lesnar’s bouts with both Randy Couture and Frank Mir, two guys that combined might punch as hard as Rogers, make me think that a Brock victory over Rogers is very possible, but not a guarantee.

• Joseph says:

Good list, though, what makes Gonzaga have an honorable mention?

• David Andrest says:

cocoonofhorror: if Mir belongs on this list at all it is at #9 or 10.

Really??

please elaborate….

• Cory Brady says:

Joseph:

Good list, though, what makes Gonzaga have an honorable mention?

For me it was a few things. First of all, Gonzaga is easily one of the most well rounded heavyweights in the business. He has knockout power in both his shins and fists. On top of that, being a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu makes him a threat everywhere. While he’s suffered a few defeats recently, all of them were to top ten heavyweights (Randy would be a top ten HW if he wasn’t droppng down to LHW). Outside of those losses, Gonzaga has won all seven of his bouts in the UFC, with seven finishes.

• danw84 says:

So how do you see this changing if Rogers beats Fedor AND Carwin beats Lesnar?

• edub says:

I gotta agree with House in that I think Rogers would be a taylor made opponent for Brock. He stands straight up and he has no wrestling background. IMO i dont think it would be all that hard for Brock to take him down and play bongos on Rogers enormous head. A big skull usually makes for a good chin, but it also makes for a big target.

• edub says:

danw84: So how do you see this changing if Rogers beats Fedor AND Carwin beats Lesnar?

apocalypse.

• xtreme_machine says:

edub:
    apocalypse.

Apocalypse like 2012?

• 27jride says:

Cory I knew Brandon & Randy were fighting at 205 but somehow I missed the fact that Randy was planning on staying at LHW. I agree now that I realize this. He belongs at 205 anyway. The list makes SO much more sense to me now!

• Cory Brady says:

27jride:

Glad to help out :-)

• Cory Brady says:

danw84:

So how do you see this changing if Rogers beats Fedor AND Carwin beats Lesnar?

Wow! ….. I thought we agreed that this question wouldn’t be asked, lol.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cory, dont you think Gonzaga(who has basically been spoon fed anybody with little experience after every loss so people will continue to buy in to him) should beat at least one top 10 heavyweight to be anywhere but gatekeeper here?

• xtreme_machine says:

Cory Brady: Wow! ….. I thought we agreed that this question wouldn’t be asked, lol.Of course I have already ran that over in my head. Let me just say that I’d have to take a good look at things if that unlikely scenario should take place; with both fighters losing that is.I will say this much, even if Fedor loses faster than Tim Hague against Todd Duffee, he’s staying in the top 3.

do not worry it won’t happen

• cocoonofhorror says:

David Andrest: Really??
    please elaborate….

his last win was over a comatose Nog, and i think we have seen that the win before that was a fluke (vs. Lesnar) i just dont see him ahead of guys like Carwin, Cigano, Velasquez, hell even Grimm would probably kick his ass. i have his fight vs. Kongo as a 50/50 proposition.

• metalmulisha says:

The fact that so many people think Frank Mir is a top 10 heavyweight is a testament to the UFC marketing machine.

Until Brock Lesnar beats up someone other than an overrated Mir and geriatric Couture there’s no way he should be #2 in the rankings. Not with the resumes of guys ranked behind him who are still in the relative primes of their careers.

Lastly how can you not have Aleksander Emelianenko at least in the honorable mention portion of the rankings?

• fanoftna33 says:

Aleksander hasent beaten anybody of note in quite a while, not a bad honerable mention guy though, hopefully we see him fight in the US soon.

• edub says:

And Cocoon I would love to see him get in there with Cigano, Carwin, Cain, Kongo, or even Rogers. I have to say I think his striking is only behind Kongo and Cigano on this list and hes definately better on the ground.

Mir is probably in the prime of his career right now. I think he has a shot to beat anyone in the world, even Lesnar if he shows up in the same shape he was in when he fought Lesnar.

• metalmulisha says:

edub: Frank Mir in the top three is a testament to his continued growth and hardwork in mma. He embarrased Nog more than anyone else in mma history. No matter what condition Nog was in you just cant throw away this fact.

When you said his striking is only behind Kongo & Cigano who were you referring to? Not Mir.

• edub says:

Yes Mir.

• cocoonofhorror says:

lol @ Mir’s striking.

Hamburger Hill.

• cocoonofhorror says:

edub: F No matter what condition Nog was in you just cant throw away this fact.

• fraz says:

He’d leave Fedor at no. 1 on this list and the P4P list and move Brock down to number 100.

• fanoftna33 says:

Is anybody else stoked about Jason Macdonald vs Travis Lutter in a few hours?

• Jstew3785 says:

Cory, I hate to disagree with you, but………. this is how I see it.

1. Josh Hendricks
    2. Justin “The American Fedor” McCully
    3. Tim Hague
    4. Sherman Pendergarst
    5. Wes Shivers
    6. Antoni Hardonk
    7. Assuerio Silva
    8. Mostapha Al-Turk
    9. Pat Barry
    10. Jason Guida
    Honorable Mentions- Fedor, Brock Lesnar, and Tank Abbott

• metalmulisha says:

fan w

fanoftna33: Is anybody else stoked about Jason Macdonald vs Travis Lutter in a few hours?

fan was that Nickels/Heath fight sick or what?

• edub says:

cocoonofhorror: i can, and i do. that was not Nog, that was a Staph infection masquerading as Nog. he gets 0 credit for that, IMO, and even less since he went shooting off his mouth about it afterward.

Ill give you that last part.

• fanoftna33 says:

Metal I was really surprised by how good Nickles hands looked, what a good fight. Alessio surprised me also. Lutter may have won but it was ugly, I think Macdonald had great defense-unless you are Maia he cant be submitted.

• Ronin says:

There is no way AA can be listed in the top ten, here is mine

Heavyweight
    1. Fedor Emelianenko
    2. Brock Lesnar
    3. Frank Mir
    4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    5. Josh Barnett
    6. Randy Couture
    7. Alistair Overeem
    8. Shane Carwin
    9. Junior dos Santos
    10.Fabricio Werdum

• neijia says:

Given HW has a 60 lb range, too bad there is not a p4p list just for heavyweights. E.g., if everyone were the same weight as Brock and cut to 265, it’d be more like:
    1. Fedor
    2. Mir
    3. Nog
    4. Couture …

• submit662266 says:

Interesting. . . a lot of these guys have shown great potential (Gonzaga, Werdum,), but when you factor in 1 or 2 defeats, they should receive the lower rankings. When you have the criteria for the rankings, it makes sense, but when I think of the match-ups, it gets confusing. I think Gonzaga would run over Mir, and it’d be close against Nog. I think the same with Werdum. If dos Santos and Mir fight, they will have to carry Mir out of the Octagon. I know this is speculative, but I don’t those fights going any other way.

Arlovski should not be on this list. Since recent competition is a criteria (weighed with results from the past) his recent defeats should bump him down several notches. Cain Velasquez may not have the experience, but we have not seem him laying on the canvas in a crumpled heap after any fights.

Couture should be on this list. Yeah he has dropped a weight division, but he is the reason the HW division had any life in it for several years.

• BigDave says:

I have to agree with your list for the most part although I would swap rogers and werdum and I would not put barnett on this list at all because of his steroid use. which would move everyone under him up 1 spot and put cain at 10.

• twyg says:

neijia intersting thought; if everyone was Brocks size and had to cut. If that was the case Fedor would be the most dangerous person in the history of our species (in unarmed combat that is). You have Randy at #4 in this hypothetical world where as I make at least #3 if not #2. Intersting thought though.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

1) Fedor
    2) Nog
    3) Brock
    4) Barnett
    5) Overeem
    6) Werdum
    7) Mir
    8. Dos Santos
    9) Arlovski
    10) Gonzaga
    I’m sorry but just because people think they are good or bad fighters does not give you a top ten spot when you have only beaten 1 good fighter (Carwin, Rogers) and a lost to Fedor and one of the best prospects in MMA does not drop you out of it (Arlovski). A lot of you base it on opinion not results and performances.
    Possible contenders Rogers, Carwin, Valasquez, Monson, Aleks, Kharitonov, Sylvia.
    Herring, Kongo are not even top 20 in my opinion.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Why do so many lists have a guy who has only won against about 5 HWs in the last 10 years and lost 4 of his last 6 HW fights is beyond me. He has also beaten nobody on most of your lists. Couture gets the sympathy vote does he Ronin and Submit etc? AA has a far better record over the last 10 years than couture, I mean the great Randy has only beaten 2 HWs since 2002. But lets give him top 10 and another automatic title shot.

• […] FiveOuncesOfPain.com is kicking UFC 104 week in high gear with another edition of trading punches. Come along with us as we tear into the undercard  for this Saturday evening’s UFC 104 card that features a light heavyweight championship match-up with Loyoto Machida defending his belt for the first time against Mauricio Rua, a battle of the big men  between Cain Velasquez  and Ben Rothwell , a 155 pound shoot out between Joe “Daddy” Stevenson and Spencer Fisher  and much more. […]