Roy Nelson vs. Kimbo Slice Shatters Records On Spike TV

In what came as little surprise since it was announced that the first episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights drew the highest rating in the program’s history, last evening’s episode featuring a bout between Roy Nelson and Kimbo Slice surpassed all previous records in the successful cable channel’s six year history.

In total the broadcast drew a household rating of 3.7, with 5.3 million total viewers.

A total of 6.1 million viewers tuned in at one point during the episode, making it the highest rated UFC program in the history of Spike TV, trumping the previous record of 5.9 million viewers during the main event between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Dan Henderson at UFC 75 back in September of 2007.

• metalmulisha says:

Rampage/Henderson I thought was the fight of the year back in ’07 and more people saw Kimbo/Nelson? Wow.

I remember when after the ratings for CBS first show with Kimbo/Thompson came out and it was a success and Dana slammed it as a disgrace to the sport and now it’s all good, because Kimbo is putting money in our pockets.

How much longer are people going to take what this guy says seriously? I mean his actions and comments are the disgrace.

• edub says:

Not a surprise. I really do not understand the infatuation with Kimbo. Even a good friend of mine who’s a hardcore is actually looking forward to kimbo fighting again. I really just dont understand.

• Rich S. says:

For some weird reason.. I want Kimbo to be successful..

But, at the same time, I wish that people would stop seeing him as the new face of MMA.. He said himself, he’s not a mixed martial artist.. All it will take is a couple losses for him to fizzle out.. Then what will happen?

Gah, this whole situation is just weird..

• danw84 says:

I agree with you Rich, I would like to see Kimbo be successful. I don’t understand why so many people want him to fail. All he did was make the best of a situation that was handed to him, it’s not like he was going out saying “I’m the best ever, pay me $500,000.” Anyone who would turn that offer down isn’t an MMA purist, they’re just insane.

• TerribleT says:

Kimbo obviously would have a better chance at being a boxer so why continue to humiliate himself with MMA when he’s too old to ever get good enough at it to be a force?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Mission accomplished.

I wanted Kimbo to win last night.
    And Roy Nelson’s a good guy and obviously fought smart.
    I thought Kimbo did well enough to earn another shot.
    Afterall,who can win when “the moon” is on top of you.

I’m looking forward to the UFC-BBQ PPV !
    Kimbo’s got a good chance of winning it all!

• xtreme_machine says:

only if Kimbo was a decent MMA guy

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

This really annoys me. If Kimbo was a good fighter it would be fine but the guy has won a few backyard brawls and fixed fights in the ring.
    I hate reality tv, I hate Kimbo and I hate that even though he obviously good enough to be in the UFC, he is now fighting for them in Dec.
    Booooooooooo! Dana and the UFC. You have just taken another step in the direction of ruining MMA.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Just noticed that about 10 of the last 20 stories on this site are about [email protected] Kimbo Slice. Fedor, GSP, BJ and Lyoto put together would not get the same coverage.
    Shame on you 5 oz. You are part of the problem.

• twyg says:

For everyone that is hating on Kimbo, Dana&UFC, this site, ect. they are not the problem. If you have a problem with all the hype/talk about Kimbo you can start by blaming yourself. It is us the fans that come on to this site, and watch the show. Whether you wanted to see Kimbo win or lose you watched. Then you come on to websites taking time out of your day to talk shit about him. Meanwhile the UFC and Spike are making more money because of Kimbo (through advertising) and I am sure that this site and sites like it are getting more traffic which could also result in more money through advertising. In the end Dana White doesn’t give a shit if you like Kimbo or hate him as long as you keep tuning in to watch. Bottom line if you don’t like the fact that Kimbo equals money look in the mirror and start the blame there.

• danw84 says:

twyg you don’t have a point there. People come to this site because they like it. Not for Kimbo. People watch TUF because they like it. Not for Kimbo. People comment on the posts because they like to. Not for Kimbo.

5oz has made way too many articles on Kimbo. And why? Same reason TUF has him. Because Kimbo draws people.

The people watching, the people who are fans aren’t the problem. It’s the constant talk about him that is.

• Banditt2 says:

The only problem i have with Kimbo and it’s not really his fault cause you can’t blame a guy for taking what’s being given to him. The amount of money that he was getting paid over at EliteXC was just unfair to the fighters that have been slaving away in training for years and not come close to making what he was making. it’s the same deal with Lesner.

• Vogairian says:

Metalmulisha,

The difference between Kimbo headlining the first MMA show on network TV and being on TUF is huge. It was a disgrace that Kimbo was the biggest name on the EliteXC card on CBS. It’s not a disgrace that people are interested in seeing the dude fight on TUF. The UFC isn’t going to live or die based on Kimbo, the UFC aren’t promoting Kimbo as the next big thing or in EliteXC’s case the biggest thing in MMA. I’m amazed that you don’t see the difference in the two situations.

• Banditt2 says:

also lovem or hatem you have to give it up to the guy he could of went over seas and made alot of money in japan but he’s staying here and fighting for less.

• joe mo mma says:

it’s all about the bottom line… the guy is a money making machine for the TUF show. people that like him are going to watch and hope he does well.. and conversely, people that hate him are going to watch so they can see him get his ass kicked. whether he does well or not people are going to watch him and talk about him.

• xtreme_machine says:

so did they do more than the Griffin Bonnar fight?

because if they did

then something little died in side me

• Angry Mike says:

Kimbo was literally last week’s news. I vote that we move on.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Kimbo in Japan ?
    YESSSSSSS MANNNNN
    SICE VS. SLAPP
    ….errrr….
    SLICE VS. SAPP
    Bring it on,I’m allllovar dat.