Kimbo Slice: Don’t Believe The Hype

kimboOver two years spent “training” in mixed martial arts and Kimbo Slice has made it painfully obvious during his time spent in The Ultimate Fighter house that he has done little, if anything to address his deficiencies on the ground.

I’m tired of hearing about how the time spent at the TUF house is going to somehow transform the lifelong street brawler into a mixed martial artist we should take seriously on a UFC level.

A half of a million dollars is what Kimbo took in during his :14 second beatdown at the hands of Seth Petruzelli alone. That’s plenty of money to send your children to college in my estimation, and there should definitely be enough left over in there to put yourself through a quality training camp.

There’s really no excuses for Slice in his neck of the woods in Miami, Florida. Just a short drive away you have one of the best MMA gyms in the business, The American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Florida. You also have Gracie Tampa which is fully endorsed by the legendary Royce Gracie, and is also home to TUF 10 cast member Marcus Jones.

The point is that Kimbo doesn’t care about the getting better in the sport, and if he has, he sure hasn’t gone to any great lengths to show it.

In the most recent episode of Spike’s “Inside The Ultimate Fighter” Podcast, Kimbo had this to say about last night’s performance, “I knew to be careful because Roy will bait you, that’s how good he is. He can look rocked, but the minute you go in for the kill, shwoop! You know what I’m sayin? He’s a smart fighter. When I felt like I rocked him I went in for the kill and that’s when I made my mistake. That’s when I realized, ah, this motherf***** was slick. But in the midst of the fight I had to figure that out.”

Two years into the game in the middle of a fight with a guy like Roy Nelson is the wrong time to be figuring that the motherf****** is slick.

“By the second round he figured out how to get in, how to play possum and get me down to the ground,” continued Kimbo. “That weight was hard to move. The crucifix is not my favorite position. I been in that position with James Thompson and was stuck. Roy had me also in that same position. That’s a position I would really like to know how to get out of. I know some shit on the ground. It’s not like I get down there and I don’t know nothing. I have some skills.”

First off, it was apparent to me that Roy had “figured out how to get in” very early on in the first round when he had Slice pinned against the fence. You know, right before he slammed him to the canvas, mounted him and took sidemount as if he was demonstrating technique during a beginner’s Ju-Jitsu class.

Second of all, If the crucifix is not your favorite position because of obvious reasons, why wouldn’t you take steps to prevent it from happening in the future? makes sense right?

Then Kimbo goes on to state that it’s a position that he “would really like to know how to get out of”.

Are you kidding me?

It’s not as if the show just finished taping today, but that’s when this interview was released.

So let’s just say theoretically that you just had your lunch money completely taken from you on national television because of your obvious lack of ability to defend the position. Would that not be the first thing you would address?

It doesn’t seem as if Kimbo can be bothered. The word is that he’s currently up at the American Top Team in Coconut Creek training for a fight in December. What he needs to be training is that crucifix position.

Either delirious or doing a fantastic job at trolling all of us fans, Kimbo would go on to state, “I’ll beat Roy next time around. You’re only gonna beat me once. If I fight anybody and they beat me that one time, that’s it. You gave me your best. You didn’t beat me at my best. Now I know how you’re comin’. You ain’t beatin’ me twice. Damn right I’d rematch Roy.”

Roy Nelson and Kimbo Slice fight 100 times, Nelson wins 99 of them.

• cocoonofhorror says:

jeez Cory, you sound upset?

• Cory Brady says:

LOL, just calling’em how I see’em Cocoon. Not upset, just shooting from the hip. It’s a weakness of mine.

• edub says:

Yea Cory sound a little angry here man.

I understand where your coming from too though. Ive tried to tell my friends the same thing when they say he is just starting out and everything.

And to me that definately didnt look like Roys best. It looked like he beat Kimbo at half speed.

• H3ro says:

Funny…it sounds like something I commented on yesterday about Kimbo…lol

• MacBatty says:

I’m kinda tired of all the Kimbo hating….Kimbo never came out and said he was the best….All these MMA “purist” love to bash Kimbo because they are still eating CROW because WWE champion Brock Lesner is king of the mountain.

You guys want to bring more people into MMA so that the sport grows but then you bash the very things that help the sport grow….Why does everyone in the sport have to be the same mold? Why cant we appreciate the GSP’s for who they are and the Kimbo & Tank Abbotts for who they are?

• xtreme_machine says:

chill out dude its JUST kimbo

he would go away in about a year

then in another year he would be out of strikeforce

and then he will see him in WWE

• Bullylover says:

it didn’t really look like kimbo was even trying to get out of the crucufix.He should of been working on this position since the thompson fight,

• Angry Mike says:

It wasn’t the crucifix that caused Kimbo’s problems. The poor bastard was smothering under Nelson’s belly. Is there an official Jiu Jitsu name for that submission? You know, “Go Go Blob” or “Man teat choke” or something?

• joe mo mma says:

maybe he IS trying.. and it’s just that he… sucks? i mean the guy is 35 years old with zero wresting/ground game.. he has hands and that’s about it.. but to instill years and years of technique and muscle memory in 2 years of training is a little hard to do imo. but.. i really cant discredit him for trying.. plus he does seem pretty sincere about training/learning on the TUF show. realisticly.. when i first heard that kimbo was going to fight in MMA.. I was expecting him to lose every fight..

i actually wouldnt have minded if he continued fighting the tank abbots of mma… but that’s me. ALSO.. he really shouldnt have f*cked up his relationship with BAS, cuz he’s the man.

• cocoonofhorror says:

his training partners arent doing him any favors by letting him hump out of the mount and saying “yep, you got it”. he should be going full speed in training with guys actively trying to maintain position. that being said, he does look like a fish out of water on the ground still. in his defense Nelson is no Thompson on the ground, and he may have improved but not enough to move the bowl-of-jelly that is Big Country’s Boiler.

anyone else see Nelson nailing his own belly while trying to pound on Kimbo’s head in the crucifix? that was perhaps the funniest thing i have ever witnessed. i thought he might TKO himself.

• justafan says:

I agree that Kimbo should have been better prepared for the ground game, but despite being a big fan of Rampage as a fighter, I don’t think he is doing his part as a coach. Roy Nelson stated before the fight that his goal was to just get the crucifix where by his own admission, the other fighter is in no danger, just can’t move because his big blubbery gut is smothering them. If he is proud of that as a seasoned fighter, more power to him, but it would sure seem that Kimbo was in no danger of being hurt, so instead of the fight being calle for it, they should have been stood up. Definitely need a name for that move, choke by blubbery gut.

• halbibabe says:

You know somthing Angry Mike,you are full of yourself, if the gut did the job then why did tank abbott get his fat a** knocked out? Grow up basement boy and know what your talking about.

• Angry Mike says:

@ halbibabe:

Yes, I am full of myself, and why not? I’m charming, insightful and articulate. (For this next line, you’ll need your dictionary, so get ready. Got it? Good.) Your comment about a gut and Tank Abbott getting knocked out is unintelligible and also a non sequiter. (That last phrase is why you’ll need the dictionary). Furthermore, I really do know what I’m talking about: Prodiguous abdomens. (I’ll give you a few minutes to look those words up, too. Ready? Good.) Finally, I think you’re misusing the word “your”, which is a possessive pronoun. You should have used the word “you’re”, which is a contraction of the words “you are.” Class is dismissed; you can run along now.

• edub says:

Internet battles are fun.

• submissionist says:

Didn’t he say in last night’s epidose that he was training at ATT?

• cocoonofhorror says:

maybe he meant AT&T…

• Dr.Stoppage says:

@cocoon- Niiiiiice!Or maybe he meant TNA….

Back to the article-

But believe the hype about his popularity, as 5oz has proven with…how many articles about him?
    I know he’ll never be champ (except for maybe in the rumoured UFC-BBQ PPV that is making a buzz) but god bless him for making a good honest showing against Roy Nelson.
    Sure he ain’t an MMA fighter yet.
    And he’ll never be a great one.
    But Dana’s giving him a legit chance and I for one think he’s worth 3 fights on UFC cards,based on the 3 losses and you’re out deal.
    I’m sure Joe Silva can set him up with 3 interesting fights,even if they’re undercards.
    Let’s see ,who’s at the bottom of the UFC heavyweight division ?

• Austin says:

i was lolling through all the crucifix’s. Kimbo wasn’t even bucking or trying to sweep. In the words of the great bas rutten “BUCK UP”.
    At one point it looked like he was laying there thinking “WTF” with his arms in the air, but the fact of the matter was, roy had him pinned in that position, lol.

• DrummerFFG says:

What kills me are all of the people defending Slice (not necessarily on this site) saying he didn’t really lose, it was a bad stoppage, he wasn’t taking real damage, etc. What it comes down to was Nelson was pretty bad, and yet Kimbo managed to actually be worse. Can we move on from the Kimbo Slice hype now? Please?!?

• Makington says:

It’s cool Cory, I’ve had the exact same conversation with many idiot casual fans who see the show and think Kimbo is god. Telling them that Mr. Slice actually sucks worse than Hellen Keller would is hard for them to swallow.

The only part I disagree on is when you said Nelson would win 99 out of 100………

He’d win 100.

• s00nertp says:

This article with the “Dollars and Sense” article offer all the reasons Kimbo is a attraction in my opinion.
    I loved reading Cory’s opinion and can relate to it. I still root for Kimbo however just because. From a sport perspective I dont really consider him an MMA fighter.

This article + “Dollars and Sense” = WHY I LOVE THIS SITE SO MUCH!! Keep up the great articles.

• CMT says:

I love Angry Mike. Way to give an education not a schooling which is obviously what Halbibabe got with his/her parent’s tax dollars. If you don’t know the difference between the two, them look it up.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Hell Roy even mentioned about how they’ll stop a fight if you’re pat pat patting on someone’s face and he can’t intelligently defend himself,regardless of how much damage you’re ‘inflicting’.
    Kimbo got stopped legit by a smarter fighter.
    kimbo ALMOST got a sweep by pushing off the cage that one time.
    But Roy obviously knows how to use his GIRTH against a more inexperiened opponent.
    Mark my words….ROY WOULD NOT WIN AT THE BAR-B-QUE (assuming we’re not talking about an eating contest)

• BigDave says:

He needs to stop learning his ground game from chiek kongo.

• neijia says:

Everyone knows Kimbo will not be champ but who cares? Pretty much no one. This is where the entertainment aspect clearly comes first. There is a reason ADCC is not on PPV or networks. No one but hobbyist grapplers would watch it. For everyone else it’d be like watching paint dry.

A lot of so-called mma fans didn’t even want to watch Machida until the last two matches (admit it – you know if you are one of them) and he is frigging technically up there with Fedor and Silva.

Everyone wants to watch a crappy fight between Kimbo and Nelson (substitute whomever for Nelson). That’s more the equivalent to everyone yelling “fight! fight!” out on the school playground.

• neijia says:

Put another way, watching Machida or Silva is like listening to jazz greats. It’s music for musicians. You have to be an aficionado to really appreciate the performance.

Watching Kimbo is like listening to rock/pop. Everyone, even the tone-deaf, can enjoy it.