5 Oz. Exclusive with Brett Rogers: ‘I should already have the title’

Brett RogersIn just one month it will have been two years since the Strikeforce heavyweight title has been put on the line.

Two years folks. That’s how long the championship belt has been residing with Alistair Overeem in his stomping grounds in Holland, steady collecting dust.

As Brett “Grim” Rogers prepares for the biggest fight of his life against Fedor Emelianenko, he’d be lying if he didn’t admit that the fact that the fight is just another fight to some degree has left an awful taste in his mouth.

In a recent conversation with FiveOuncessOfPain.com, Rogers made his stance on the situation quite clear, explaining, “Alistair’s kind of holding on to the title. I don’t know what he’s doing, or what little plan he has hidden up his sleeve, but he’s gonna have to give that up, sooner than later, because I’m coming for it.”

No strangers to one another, Overeem and Rogers were set to have their day back on June 6. A bout Alistair was forced out of due to a broken hand suffered during a barroom brawl in Holland.

When former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski steeped up to fill Overeem’s shoes, he got bounced in just :22 seconds on the receiving end of a “Grim” knockout. A victory that has left Rogers in a position where he feels like he’s already the guy to beat in Strikeforce.

“I feel like I should already have the title for when I fought Arlovski,” said Rogers. “That title should have been mine, but Alistair keeps procrastinating and making up little excuses abut his hand and all this. I mean, he has I don’t know how many other wins, but he’s making excuses. We’re going to get our day.

“I’m about to get two titles in a sense [laughs]. I’m going to take out Fedor, and I’m going to take out Overeem whenever I get to him.”

• fanoftna33 says:

Win or lose vs Fedor I would like to see Rogers face Overeem sometime in the future. If Rogers can catch him early with some good power shots he may be able to gnp a win vs Fedor I think he has the skills to pull this one off.

• xtreme_machine says:

i think he could KO Overreem

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Overreem is on the Juice but I dont think he cant beat Rogers or Fedor so strikeforce should make the interim-belt on the line in November.

• Makington says:

I’ve never liked Brett, and I still don’t. Everything he says bugs me. I hope Fedor shows him how professionals act after he whoops him soon.

• edub says:

Youll never have the title already. Neverrrrrrrrr.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

“edub says:
    October 1, 2009 at 2:03 pm
    Youll never have the title already. Neverrrrrrrrr.”

LOL

anyways it’s only going to be a matter of time till Rogers actually knows what’s coming for him after talking the talk.

• twyg says:

The Fedor/Rogers fight shouldn’t be for an interm title; it should be for THE TITLE. When the hell is Coker going to get off his ass and strip Overeem? He waited ’til LE retired, and I don’t think Alistair is going to do that anytime soon. Please Scott, for all that is holy, take the fucking title off of Overeem and make Fedor vs. Brett a title fight.

• Makington says:

I think the reason is because Strikeforce is obviously still struggling, and he desperately needs every big name fighter he has. If he went and stripped Overeem (although he should) then he would receive a lot of bad press, which in turn gives Strikeforce’s abysmal roster bad press.

It’s the same thing with Cung, he waited because Le was huge for his business and he really does need every name he can get. It’s getting better everytime he signs a good new fighter but the reality is they need every fighter they can get.

• twyg says:

Maybe but then my question is how long do you let this continue? Also bad press?, what bad press. Put out a statement that says something like “Today I have made a very tough choice, and that is to strip Alistair Overeem of the Strikeforce Heavywieght Title. He has not defended it since capturing the title two years ago, and that is too long for any title to sit dorment. We have a lot of exciting and accomplished heavywieght fighters in Strikeforce including the best pound for pound fighter on the planet and it is time that we start showcasing that talent in title fights. Alistair is always welcome to come back and fight in Strikeforce but at this time the Heavywieght division will be moving on without him.” There done Scott you can use some or all of that for the press release. No bad press for Strikeforce just make Overeem look bad, and yes I know throwing fighters under the bus is a DW move but in this case it is warrented.

• fraz says:

Overeem is an overrated bitch.

• jim7283 says:

Hilarious – has Rogers ever seen Fedor fight? Fyodor is gonna end this guy’s career in less than 5 minutes without question… love the talk though, only fuels the coming embarrassment…

• […] catch up with current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem to gather his thoughts on Brett “Grim” Rogers recent comments where he stated: I feel like I should already have the title for when I fought Arlovski. That title should have […]

• fanoftna33 says:

Anice win over Arlovski is a bit of a understatement.