Mike Swick vs. Dan Hardy set for GSP title shot

Dan HardyA rumored welterweight match-up between Mike Swick and Dan Hardy is said to be in the works for the UFC. The fight, if scheduled, will determine the next in line for the 170 pound championship against Georges St. Pierre.

The plans of the bout were recently confirmed through UFC president Dana White.

Although no confirmed date has been announced, speculation is that the two will meet on the November 14th card Hardy was initially scheduled for against Dong Hyum Kim.

Swick has been impressive since moving down to welterweight, compiling a 4-0 record during that time, with notable wins over Ben Saunders and Marcus Davis.

Hardy, who has been equally impressive, is riding a six-fight win streak, with a 3-0 record since joining the UFC. His most recent wins came over Rory Markham via KO, and Marcus Davis by split-decision.

UFC 105 is scheduled for November 14th, from Manchester England, with a headlined match-up between Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera

• fanoftna33 says:

I understand Swick being in a #1 contender match, but Dan Hardy? They should have been able to find someone with a little more Octagon experience than Hardy. Hell they should make Swick vs Fitch for the #1 spot.

• moosebaby02 says:

that sounds better to me fan. i guess if Vitor can just walk in the UFC without ever fighting in MW div in the UFC than why not Hardy get a title shot fight after ONLY getting a spit dec aginst Davis. Wonder if Davis got the Dec would the UFC put him up in this match???

• moosebaby02 says:

either way GSP takes out who ever wins

• fanoftna33 says:

Dont forget Hardy also had a split decision win over Gono.

• 3OAM says:

GSP will run through either of them any given day of the week. Thiago Alves would run through either of them any given day of the week too.

• Starforsaken says:

Are they scraping the barrel or what? :)

Perhaps they should start cooking up Daley vs. Johnson for the next contender slot.

• manny says:

I agree with 3OAM, Alves would beat any of theses guys and so would GSP. I believe the ufc needs new WW fighters that GSP hasn’t beaten yet. He destroyed Fitch plus his match again paulo thiago was lame. He gp alves wich had the best chance to beat gsp but he was too much for him. Either way I still see gsp retaining the belt for his next 2-3 fights

• moosebaby02 says:

How bout this Swick, Hardy, Alves, and Fitch in one big battle royal for a shot at GSP????

• moosebaby02 says:

and bring in the Big Show as a guest ref

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to see GSP fight in the first MMA gauntlet match, with a new fighter every round. Keep the big show as ref though.

• moosebaby02 says:

Gauntlet match……..thats a way better idea. 5 rounds??? I say you throw Hardy in for the 1st round

• fanoftna33 says:

after Hardy I would go with Fitch.

• edub says:

If GSP gets through the first 4 rounds than hes gotta go through Anthony Johnson in the 5th round.

• YetiLee says:

I have to disagree Fan, Fitch got totally dominated the last time he fought GSP and the same thing would happen again. Sure he went the distance but never once did he look like he had a chance to win in that fight, it was a complete mugging on GSP’s part.

• fanoftna33 says:

You are correct Yetilee, the only reason I picked Fitch was that Hardy is a stand up fighter and Fitch is a wrestler, trying to mix it up in there a little.

• dpk says:

This is the fall out from GSP being so dominate. WW is a deep division, but GSP has taken out all of the top guys. I don’t have a problem with the winner of this fight getting a title shot, because it will also buy more time for GSP’s next challenger to win at least one more fight. Fitch, Alves, and Kos all need a few more impressive wins to get back in the mix. You know UFC was hoping for Paulo Thiago to beat Fitch, but that didn’t work out, so now they are hoping for Ricardo Almedia to win his next fight so he can jump to the front of the list. Guys like Anthony Johnson, Daley, Condit, and Kim all need a few more wins to be legit.

Does anyone know Shield’s contract status with Strikeforce?

• Rich S. says:

I find this kind of weird.. Swick in the no.1 contender match is a given.. But Hardy? He hasn’t faced the competition that Swick has yet.. Then again, I guess they’re running out of people to challenge GSP.. After all, although he’s 4-0 at WW, Swick’s biggest win was over Davis..

He should REALLY be fighting Fitch.. Actually, Swick/Daley makes a lot of since too.. Kampmann was supposed to be fighting for no.1 contendership, and got absolutely destroyed.. Daley took no damage in that fight, so he’d be ready..

• fanoftna33 says:

Good call on Almedia DPK, I forgot he was dropping weight. If he beats Fitch that would be a good match up with GSP. I think even with GSPs wrestling and BJJ he would stand with Almedia. Still a interesting fight.

• BigDave says:

This is kind of a no win argument just because the simple fact is there isnt anyone out there at 170 that is even good enough to hang with the Greatest fighter on the planet by a mile. GSP is the best there is in mma and there is no one in any weightclass that can hold a candle to him. The only fight that I would like to see for gsp in the near future is anthony johnson.

• moosebaby02 says:

I say you put Kos in for round 3.
    Rich I hear what your saying. Next thing you know Amir Sadollah will get a shot since he is the new face the UFC keeps pushing on us with his new tuff after show (what ever they call it) web show and all the face time he gets on the Tuff promos.

• moosebaby02 says:

aftermath thats what its called

• hindsightufuk says:

strange choice, i’m pretty sure the ufc are hoping Swick to win this. I think they’d be pretty gutted if Dan won. Having said that, major props to Dan, put in a lot of hard work to get to where he is, and you gotta take any oppurtunities that come your way, just like Paul Daley is. Chuffed for him.
    Also think the UFC have realised what a daft cunt Bisping is and are trying to prmote a new face of English mma. Dan Hardy and Paul Daley been tearing it up for years, they are a fine choice. In fact any of the other crop of english UFC fighters is better than fucking Bisping. Fuck him

• edub says:

Man Hindsight you really hate bisping. It almost makes me feel bad for him haha.

• fanoftna33 says:

I always enjoy hindsights comments on Bisping.

• edub says:

Anyways I like the fight here. If Swick wins I think he is a deserving ww title contender. I dont think Dan Hardy deserves it but Carlos Condit is 1-1 in the UFC, Koscheck lost to a nobody in a fluke KO, Fitch was dominated by GSP and has only one lackluster decisions since the bout, Alves just lost to GSP, Rumble hasnt faced the top level competition yet warranting a title shot, Daley needs to be more consistent, Kampman just lossed, Diego is down at LW, and Shields is in Strikeforce fighting at 185 so I really dont think they have anyone else.

Oh and Matt Hughes and Matt Serra shouldnt be considered for this argument.

• edub says:

won* lackluster

• fanoftna33 says:

edub, Fitch has won twice he also has a decision win over Gono since his loss to GSP.

• thomaswhigham says:

who here thinks swick or kos or daley or hardy beat fitch? :)

• thomaswhigham says:

Sorry for double post, but let’s see a alves fitch fight

• edub says:

I know fan the ONE part of the text was a typo.

• edub says:

Alves and Fitch already fought man Fitch tkod him after an upkick. I think Fitch is a terrible matchup for Alves and I think the fight would probably go to a Fitch Dec. if the two ever fought again,

• Bullylover says:

really didn’t see this one coming. I agree with most that hardy doesn’t deserve to be fighting for a title shot yet but since i’m not dana or joe silva i’m just going to sit back and watch this one.I’ve been wanting to see see this one for a little while anyway.i’m a say swick via 2nd rd tko.if hardy loses i hope to see him against alves in his fight after this one.I can’t hate on hardy for taking the chance to fight for a #1 contender spot.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hardy is a tall ww fighter so it will be good to see Swick fight somebody thats about his height, it looks pretty even though as both guys are good strikers with power going to Hardy and speed with Swick. I think Swick really has the grappling advantage here and unless he gets caught( or injured in training) he should be fighting GSP soon, even though Hardy has impressed me latly.

• Bullylover says:

I think that swick’s speed will be too much for hardy and will keep him of balance enough to keep him from being able to fully use his power in his striking.However i believe that if hardy lands a nice head kick or a flush uppercut that it could bve lights out for swick.

• Bullylover says:

be lights out for swick

• xtreme_machine says:

OK

this tells you that they really want GSP vs Swick

i wanted to see Antony Johnson vs Dan Hardy that would be a 1st KO

• shotokai_ says:

How incredibly irrelevant this match is. Either will get mauled, and I mean M-A-U-L-E-D, by Georges.

• I think everyone is Seriously underestimating Swick. First of all until he ran into Okami he TORE through the middleweight division. He beat Vitors record for three fastest finishes combined….he beat the hell out of Louisea(sorry if that’s spelled wrong I worked a graveyard and Im headin to sleep) since moving to WW he’s mauled everyone including dominating Marcus Davis(who’s only been stopped once by a cut) and other then that its been KO after KO after TKO……Im taking Swick on this one and yes Im gonna say it Swick to beat The MIghty GSP….if Serra could catch him and knock him out Quick has 10x the chance. Been reading the articles and comments for awhile….nice to post up here finally.

• edub says:

Super Dave:

When he tore through the MW division he was “smashing” Gideon Ray, Alex Schoenour(sp?), Steve Vigneault(sp?), and Joe Riggs. He didnt really beat the hell out Louisaeu, but more or less fought a conservative fight looking for the dec.

Since droppin to ww he’s won lackluster decisions against the two best guys he faced(Marcus Davis, and Josh Burkman). Not really his fault but he didnt dominate. His KOs were not against stellar competition, but more or less one prospect and one journeyman. I think Swick has a crapload of talent and im a big fan of his, but if Okami can wrestle enought to avoid his striking why do u think GSP couldn’t.

• Bullylover says:

i hope that swick wins because i would rather see swick/gsp than swick/hardy but i’m positive that who ever wins this contender match is going to win by knockout.

• Good point Edub I do think GSP can wrestle to avoid those fast hands. On the other scope of things everyone says GSP is the best p4p and Soooo strong, agreed but we havent seen him fight anyone with the strength of Okami and we also havent seen anyone take Swick down yet in ww . Swick is as big or bigger than GSP and has quicker hands. That being said GSP is the best mixer of technique. Problem is he doesn’t finish anyone and Im tired of watching championship fights be boring and non competitive. I think if Swick can dot his eyes a little and stay off his back I think his not-as-good-as-people-think standup will be shown leading Swick to a KO.

Ok the Louisaeu fight he was conservative in the third but the first two rounds he was anything but. burkman was a close fight but Davis got held down and bashed in the face for three straight rounds. Plus everyone comes due for a loss and I just want to see the title float around a little bit to stir things up.
    Excellent response though…thanks for the engaging discussion.

• edub says:

Good points all around. Im with you in part that I think Swick is a lot better than most people think. I just dont think anyone beats GSP at ww.

• Angry Mike says:

How about GSP v. 2 125 lb’ers? Attack of the killer smurfs! Small, angry and quick!