Gegard Mousasi set to return to action in November

Gegard MousasiRecently crowned Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi posted a blog entry on the official M-1 Global website over the weekend. Of the more interesting points in the blog, Mousasi, confirmed he will be a part of the Emelianenko vs. Rogers card, with an opponent to be named later. He also discussed his interest in one day fighting for the UFC, but is in no hurry to leave Strikeforce.

Below are some highlights from the bog entry:

On Strikeforce –

After my win on Babulu, I’ve noticed that I have gotten more American fans. A lot of people didn’t know me but winning against the favorite in Babulu gave me extra attention. There were some people that weren’t convinced yet but I’m happy to show them my ability. I like to read all the great reactions and that people believe in me. It really motivates me and I feel I’m just making my entrance. I still have a long road to go.

In November my second fight for Strikeforce will take place but my opponent is not been determined . I heard some rumors like Kevin Randleman, Paulo Filho and Mike Whitehead. Whitehead would be the most logical pick because he recently won against Randleman. I’ve also heard a rumor that Arona is fighting again and it would be great if Strikeforce can pick him up. We can use a new light heavyweight fighter.

For now, I am just just concentrating on myself. On this level everybody is a threat in a fight. It’s better to look at yourself instead of your opponent.

On Fedor vs. Brett Rogers –

Unfortunately I don’t have the main event yet because the honor goes to Fedor and to be honest I don’t mind it a bit. It’s a interesting matchup. I think Fedor will win but I have to mention that lots of people are underestimating Brett Rogers. Even though he didn’t fight the best of the best yet he still has a undefeated record and almost every fight ended in a KO. Then KO Arlovski in under 30 seconds or so makes me a believer. He’s very big and very strong, so he’s a danger for everybody. So I’m pretty excited for the fight. I hope I don’t break any bones in my fight so I can see the fight live myself. If Fedor wins there is a big chance he will fight Alistair. That’s a match a lot of fans want to see, so do I. Normally I like to see Alistair win, because he’s one of my favorites to watch, but this time I have to root for Fedor.

On the UFC –

I was doubting if I’m doing a UFC chapter in my blog, my first thought was no because I’m not a UFC fighter but on the other hand a lot of people ask me the question ‘when are you going to the UFC?’. I know that the best fighters in my weight fight in the UFC but I’m still young and very happy with Strikeforce as a company. I’ve signed a contract with them and I will fight the fights they give me.

There are so many things possible in a short time, maybe I lose two times and the UFC doesn’t want me at all. That’s why I focus on one fight at a time. My goal in the future is of course to become UFC champion but I’m not in a rush. I’m happy with Strikeforce now and that’s the most important things. I’m now champion and want to defend with honor and dignity. It’s up to fighters like Fedor, Alistair and me to show great fights and make Strikeforce look good. I still believe Strikeforce is the company with the most growth potential. By the way maybe the UFC champions will come to Strikeforce and challenges us for the belt (laughs).

On the future M-1 –

I’ve just came from the M-1 office and saw the plans for 2010, I can’t say anything about it but it looks good! It will be a year with a lot of events and a unique way for up-and-coming talents to put themselves in the big picture. I started at shows like that and it’s good to see that I grow with the company. I’m grateful they help me make the right decisions. M-1 has been in the press a lot lately and a lot of the attention has been bad. Some fans and people only hear one side of the story and that’s a pity. I’m not into politics so I don’t say anything about it but the only thing I can see is that they love the sport and invested a lot in giving talented fighters a platform to perform.

• moosebaby02 says:

I just love reading about anything this guy has to say. Would love to see him the top tier the UFC has.

• fanoftna33 says:

This guy gives us a very honest assement of the Fedor Rogers fight, nice that a guy in camp with Fedor gives a good honest opinion like this.

• dpk says:

Whitehead, Filho, and Arona would all be good match ups. Can’t wait to see this guy in action again.

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont see whitehead being much of a test, could be a good short fight though.
    I’d love to see Gegard fight Arona, that would be great, Arona with the chin in the air wouldnt last much longer than Babalu. Filho would be the sternest test, unfortunately Filhos sternest test would be the piss test before the fight

• edub says:

Kinda funny in a way: He has called out Japan(Paulo Filho in particular) on the abuse of steroids. Yet he shows great admiration for Alistair Overeem… who has been embroiled in controversy the last year or so with amount of muscle he added to his frame.

Very interesting.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to see Mousasi fight Filho only to see him ko Filho, the fight would probably not be to competitive though.

• metalmulisha says:

I don’t see what’s so interesting about Mousasi calling out Filho for steroids and admiring Overeem.

I mean Mousasi fought in Pride back then and seems like an educated guy I don’t think he’d just throw out a steroid accusation towards Filho without having some sort of knowledge.

Plus he’s trained at Golden Glory gym with Alistair so there must be a bond there. Even though neither sides management team has much respect for the other side obviously the two fighters do.

Mousasi vs Filho doesn’t interest me much at all really after watching Filho’s performance at Bitetti combat a couple weeks ago. It was one of the worst fight I’ve seen in awhile.
    Mousasi vs Whitehead will probably be the fight since as Gegard pointed out he just beat Randleman in June although he didn’t do a lot besides score take downs and land a couple of jabs Randleman landed the best punches I thought, but rumor is he’s fighting King Mo in Sengoku in Nov. who knows? I’m just glad he’s going to be on the card.

• fanoftna33 says:

King Mo needs to fight some better fighters, with his skills he can handle some much tougher fights.

• edub says:

Metal it just seems to go two ways to me. First you claim all of Paulo Filho strengths come from steroids, and then you claim great admiration for a guy whos put on about 30lbs of functional muscle in the last year and a half. It just seems a bit bias to me.

• Makington says:

Friendship IS bias edub. It’s not ureasonable to believe that he made a bit of a friendship when they trained, and therefore supports the guy when he fights. I would do the same really.

I’m just excited to see this guy fight. I admit I’m one of his newer fans but after he started getting a lot of buzz before Renato I began to look into him and I really admire the guy. He’s a real class act and fights like a champ.

• Bullylover says:

i don’t really see that many good opponents for mousasi in strikeforce. i really wish he wasn’t signed with m-1 that way we could see him fight the best in the lhw division and see how really good he is at this new weight class.

• xtreme_machine says:

i really like the way this guy talks and the way he caries him self

he is very professional and a dangerous opponent

• Niv says:

I love everything about this guy, the way he fights and the candid way he speaks.

He’s definitely a class act and I too think that it would be great if some UFC champs tested themselves against himself and Fedor. Hopefully we’ll get to see that, but I agree that SF is a genuine up and coming promotion with great growth potential.

As an mma fan things are looking good these days.