Brock Lesnar on Shane Carwin: ‘He hasn’t fought anybody’

Shane Carwin PicThe trash talking has officially begun with Brock Lesnar putting in his two cents on his upcoming bout versus Shane Carwin at UFC 106, which has been scheduled for November 21 from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Carwin was first to voice his opinion of the Heavyweight champion, giving Lesnar a ton of criticism after his successful title defense against Frank Mir, back at UFC 100.

Shortly after Lesnar avenged his only defeat as a professional against Mir, Lesnar looked like he was back in the WWE with his post fight antics. Carwin, when asked his opinion on the matter, was quoted as saying, “I hate that he disrespected the greatest sporting fans in the world and I can’t wait to fight him. Really it comes down to respect and I do not think that he respects the sport or the fans of this sport. He may be well known, but fame does not equal respect.”

Initially staying quiet, Lesnar has finally put in his opinion on the upcoming challenger in a recent interview with the Las Vegas Sun, explaining, “He’s a tough guy. He’s undefeated, but some of the guys he’s beaten aren’t worthy of having on your record. He hasn’t fought anybody. He’s fought Gonzaga, so I really think he’s 1-0.”

Lesnar, a Division I champion at the University of Minnesota back in 2000, continued, “He’s a tough guy and a wrestler. But he’s a Division II national champion — enough said. I don’t know what he is, 11-0, 10-0, but he’ll have a loss against Brock Lesnar.”

• metalmulisha says:

That’s funny Lesnar saying someone else hasn’t fought anyone when he’s had a whole what 5 fights in his entire career.
    I really can’t stand this guy.

• xtreme_machine says:

i am one of Brocks biggest supporters but Carwin still has a Punchers chance

before they start talking sh*th about Brock’s antics we all have to remember that CONTROVERSY CREATES CASH

yeah Dana might have said that he was mad but we all know that he loved it as it got them a ton of publicity and a spot on ESPN

now this does not mean that he would do it every time

also Lesnar ONLY talks trash when his opponent starts and pulls the WWE card

Anyways Brock 2nd TKO via Ground and Pound

• fanoftna33 says:

This will be a pretty hyped fight and as usual Brock will talk trash but really mulish you are right, brock himself hasnt really had much experience to speak of, just bigger names.

• cere says:

Seriously Brock? You are the last guy in the world (besides me) to be trashing talking based on someone else’s record.

what a tool.

• David Andrest says:

Carwin a punchers chance??? did I just read that right??? I’m sure you meant Brock has a punchers chance.

• BigDave says:

He had it right Carwin has a punchers chance at best. Lesnar will take him down and beat on his head like a drum. If it goes two rounds i’ll be shocked. Like I have said Lesnar won’t lose till he fights Cain.

• TR1979 says:

I know one person Brock should fight. The person who gave him that tattoo his chest.

• Angry Mike says:

I watched a rebroadcast of the Carwin/Gonzaga fight the other day. Gonzaga rocked Carwin several times before Carwin ko’d Gonzaga. I can’t recall anybody rocking Lesnar even briefly. Lesnar talks a lot of smack and behaved like an ass after the second fight with Mir, but I’ve got real doubts about whether Carwin can shut him up. I expect Carwin to charge in flailing and to eat several stiff punches before he hits the canvas for a nap.

• bigbadjohn says:

finally bigdave brings the reality check here. Lesnar will take Carwin down the minute he throws one of those meathead hooks. Brocks right, Carwin is 1-0. Gonzaga, thats it. Look for the 2nd round TKO ground and pound. and sorry bigdave but if Cain beats Rothwell, look for the same outcome if Cain gets the next shot

• moosebaby02 says:

Mike. Carwin is to smart to just run in like that. He is not that small of a man and yes his record is not a resume of assassins but at least its a record with a little merit. He is 11-0 with 6 ko’s and 5 SUBS. Not knocking Brock but how many subs has he have with his 5 fights??? Wait 5 subs for 5 fights???? Brock 6’3, 265 or 280 fight night chubby. Carwin 6’3 262 cut. Brock hasn’t knocked anyone cold yet where Carwin has 4 times I believe. Oh and yes Carwin has bigger hands. Mir twice, Herring, and Couture is very impressive vs Gonzaga, Wain, well really thats it. Im not putting Carwin up there with the top of the heap but i know first hand when your that rocked against a man like Gonzaga your in some serious shit. But for some freaky reason wake up like the way he did and as violent as he did well that leaves much to the imagination. 5 subs alone for the size that he is just proves that with his size he can handle his own on the ground as well. Also he can just hold people and pin them down just as well as Brock can. Only difference is he will make you tap. Ya Brock dosent have to…or maybe he cant???? This is the closest to the same size of a man that Brock will have to face in a while that has MORE then a punches chance. To me this has all the looks of who will have more gas in the tank and is the better striking. Carwin imo has better take down defense then Mir and Herring. Not as much as Captain America but almost with bigger size and how good was Brock at handling that??? I called it before and will call it now Carwin WILL be the next UFC Heavy Weight Champion.

• Rich S. says:

We still haven’t really gotten the chance to see Carwin’s cardio.. But, I’m willing to bet it’s not on par with Lesnar’s..

I’m hoping Carwin grabs the win here, but if it goes past, oh, say 3 minutes.. It’s Brock’s..

• danw84 says:

Angry Mike – ” I can’t recall anybody rocking Lesnar even briefly. ”

Did you watch the last Mir vs Lesnar fight? Lesnar HIMSELF admitted he got rocked and was seeing stars after Mir’s knee to his face. Just because you love him doesn’t mean you can ignore things that have happened.

Carwin has never even seen the 2nd half of the 1st round, so I agree we don’t know anything about if he can go the distance. But the point is, he trains for the distance, like all fighters, not a 1st round destruction.

Finally, Lesnar is fat.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

“I hate that he disrespected the greatest sporting fans in the world”

What an ass kisser. I hope Lesnar kills this brown noser.

• Austin says:

brock just owned shane carwin

• LethalStriker says:

Brock does have a point, outside of fighting Gabriel Gonzaga he wasn’t fought that tough of competition at all. While Brock hasn’t fought that many times himself at least in that limited amount of times he has fought Frank Mir 2 times, randy Couture and Heath Herring.

• MM izzle my Nizzle says:

Just thought I would add that I don’t think Carwin is a great fighter at all but he may prove me wrong.
    I said it about the much hyped Lutter, Leites, and Maia and I’ll say it about Carwin, Kongo and even Valasquez. They are just average fighters not great ones. But having said that I do think that Carwin has a fair chance against Lesnar just because of the skill set they both have.
    I know people will try and argue with me and say I’m an idiot but there is really no point, we’ll just wait and see how these guys progress wont we.

• shotokai_ says:

This really is a pick ’em fight if ever there was one. Not only are both almost equally matched in ability, size and athleticism, they’ve both had limited exposure on the big stage, and no experience whatsoever with opponents their own size and of similar wrestling ability.

So it’s fair enough saying “Brock has a punchers chance.”, or “Brock 6?3, 265 or 280 fight night chubby.” (calling him chubby is slightly ludicrous but whatever) but in reality no one has a clue about this fight and so picking a winner assertively or bashing others for doing so is based on little evidence.

Lesnar is a better wrestler, technically, (Div. I vs. Div II; it’s funny how the difference between the two only ever gets downplayed by Div II champs) and is the bigger man – he will probably be around 285 on fight night, whereas Carwin cuts only a small amount of weight. So physically and wrestling-wise you can give a slight edge to Lesnar. But then Carwin has more MMA experience and his submission wins might indicate an edge in the MMA relevant grappling department, which is significantly different to pure wrestling ability. Finally, I personally believe Carwin has heavier hands, and Lesnar longer arms (see Couture’s post fight comments); so the more dangerous is, again, debatable, but I would probably say Carwins better chance of victory is on the feet and Lesnar’s is on the floor, with both being very marginal.

Either way, I can’t wait for this fight. My personal feeling – Lesnar by ground mauling R1.

• bowlingotter says:

Say what you want, but you’re gonna tell me Brock isn’t right?

Lesnar’s very inexperienced, but he hasn’t fought a single can. (You’re gonna say Herring and pretend you’re not one of the people who was screaming from the rooftops that Brock would get destroyed by Herring)

Carwin’s beat a bunch of cans and Gonzaga. It’s the same knock people have on Brett Rogers.

Yeah it’s trash talk, yeah Brock’s a dick, but it doesn’t make his statement less true.

• moosebaby02 says:

Shotokai when your love handles are overlapping your trunks then thats chubby. He is not chiseled like everyone keeps calling him.
    I agree that Carwins best chance is on the feet. I truly believe he is the better striker and has heavier hands. Brock needs to get this to the ground. How easy can he do it???? That one is up in the air. Carwin might have the sickest sprawl but like some one pointed out we havent seen that much of him later in his fights to determine that factor. If Brock can get him down with ease then it might as well be over cause I cant see Carwin continually getting back up and getting taken down all night with out gassing out. Your right this is truly a pick em fight. All logic should have this as an up and comer fight with so much potential for two fighter with so little experience. But cause of the little talent in the HW div this happens to be a title fight. I have been calling for this fight for a while since this might be the best chance of someone taking down Brock. Cause if Carwin cant we will see that belt around Brocks waste for a while. With his freaky size, speed and strength who really has a chance?? All he will have to do get who ever he is fighting down on his back lay on him until that fighter is tired and punch him in the face till the ref stops it. How hard can it be when you’re the size of Brock?
    Im hoping for a stand up war but I doubt it will happen. Brock will go for takedown as soon as the ref says fight. He knows standing with Carwin will be stupid. And in a fight Brock is not stupid. Only when you put a mike in front of him

• metalmulisha says:

Yeah I don’t see it either as far as Lesnar being “chubby” or having “love handles”.

He’s like a concrete wall and I’m no fan of Brock Lesnar.

• I will be shocked if it lasts ONE round.

• LethalStriker says:

I really don’t see Carwin as having an MMA experience advantage over Brock. Sure he has more fights on his record but not against nearly the same level of competition as Brock has. And all of Carwin’s fights have ended early in the first round. We really don’t know what kind of a gas tank that Carwin has since he’s never really been pushed into the later rounds. A lot of fighters are juggernauts in round 1, but not so much as the fight goes on. Is Carwin one of those guys? It’s too early to tell since he hasn’t been put in that position yet.

• Angry Mike says:

@dawn84

When Carwin fought Gonzaga, Carwin’s knees buckled at least twice after he took punches from Gonzaga. I did see both fights between Mir and Lesnar. Maybe Mir rocked Lesnar with a knee in the second fight, but Lesnar didn’t really show it. My point is that Lesnar may have a better chin than Carwin. I could be wrong.

And I agree with everyone who says this fight is over in one round. I think Carwin will coming out swinging, which is probably a good game plan. A back and forth Greco wrestling or wrestling contest probably favors Lesnar, who’s a better wrestler.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this will be a pretty even fight and barring a one punch ko I really think that a winner here will be determined by who is in better shape. Brock looked very good going three rounds with Herring but really Herring offered very little resistance. When Brock fought Randy he was really getting gassed by the end of the fight due to Randy being able to fend off the takedowns and counter punch effectivaly. Now we really know little of Carwins conditioning to speak so we can only guess its going to be as good as Brocks as he is with a good camp.
    Once these two lock up and really start going at it they are going to tire out very quickly due to the fact that they are two of the biggest and strongest guys in this division and very likely equal or close to it in wrestling. If this fight lasts more than two rounds I will be very surprised.

• dpk says:

I really just can’t wait for this fight. Carwin has unreal punching power, and when he hits guys they stay hit. Lesnar has the better wrestling so I think he will try and take this down and use some G&P, but he could also land the big punch and end it. Either way, I really don’t see this going past the 1st round.

• moosebaby02 says:

I think this will end in the 2nd round with a more of a feeling out process happening in 1st. Its a five round fight and I dont think any of the two wants to make that 1st mistake

• edub says:

Andrest:
    WHy would Brock have a punchers chance, and not Carwin. As a matter of fact why would either of them be labeled as having nothing but a punchers chance.

Should be a great fight imo ending in two possible ways:
    1. (Most likely IMO) Brock neutralizes Shane for about two rounds and pounds him out in the 3rd.
    2. Carwin catches Brock in the 1st or 2nd with something big and puts Brock to sleep.

• Niv says:

metalmulisha, I totally agree with you that’s a rich statement from a guy who has five fights in his career and has already suffered a defeat.

Who has Brock fought, a completely overrated Frank Mir (not the same post accident), Heath Herring who hasn’t been a top HW for at least five years now, and a 46 year old Randy Couture who hadn’t fought in over a year and quite simply is a LHW in reality.

Unfortunately I think Brock will take this fight as Carwin really just appears to have the big punchers chance as his only real advantage.

• danw84 says:

I agree with your 2 possibilities edub. I think in the end this is going to be both of their best fights yet.

• gy614x says:

I want Carwin to win this fight, and definatley think he can…Lesnars a monster and an extremely strong and fast so his skills shouldnt be down played.

i can see this fight going 3 ways

Carwin by KO rd 1
    Lesnar by Ko (gnp) rd 2
    Lesnar by ko rd 1.

bottom line….this will not be a long fight at all, no matter the outcome

• Bart45 says:

This is for the people that say Lesnar shouldn’t be talking becuz of his record. Come on now, yes he has only 5 fights but look who he has fought already. former champ Frank Mir, who looks like he is back in his prime, Texas Crazy Horse who has ton of experience against top name fighters, and of course the great Randy Corture. Who has shane carwin fought. Don’t get me wrong this is going to be a good fight, I just can’t believe ya’ll are saying lesnar can’t talk.

• wifeinthong says:

Lesner said it perfectly

• BigDave says:

It’s been my experience that guys that are heavyly muscled and shredded at hw tend to have very little in the gas tank so it will be interesting to see if brock allows this fight to go long enough to see carwins tank.

• danw84 says:

I’d hardly say Mir looks back in his prime. He’s been completely manhandled by Lesnar twice, and beat a very sick, bad looking Nog. Beating Randy was quite impressive, and he played with Herring like a toy, but still, it’s not a big record.

• danw84 says:

Sorry I meant Brock’s beating Randy and Heath. Had two thoughts going at once.