Role Reversal: Roger Huerta leaves acting for MMA

It appears Roger Huerta will not be quitting MMA after what was said to be his last fight in the UFC.

He recently discussed his future with Sherdog.com, saying, “I can’t go out with two losses in a row. I don’t think I’m going to call it quits anytime soon.”

He lost last Wednesday in a tough fought three round decision against Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 19. The bout against Maynard was Huerta’s first since losing to Kenny Florian back at UFC 87 in August of 2008.

Reports were “El Matador” was hanging up his gloves for an acting career, which he signed a three-picture development deal with Lion’s Gate Films. Although not a successful as some of his MMA brethren, he did manage to secure a role in motion picture Tekken, which also features Cung Le, due out later this year.

Speaking of acting, Huerta said, “I’m still open to acting. Hopefully we get something going with that, but I’m not going to prioritize now. I’ll still prioritize fighting. If the UFC wants me back, I’d be willing to go back.”

The question that remains now is will the UFC want him back. He undoubtedly possesses star potential, but the premier MMA organization was turned down by Huerta when they offered a new contract to him back in January.

However, it seems the lightweight contender wants to call the UFC home, “I’ve been with the UFC since 2006. They’re all that I know, but it’s up to my manager Jeff Clark to decide that for me.”

For now, the Sports Illustrated cover boy wants to focus his attention on what gave him his star status in the first place, “I think this last fight was probably the best fight I’ve ever had, the most focused I’ve ever been.I fought a very dangerous opponent, who is probably going to be the next number-one contender. I lost to the number-one contender before that as well. I’m right in that mix, where a little tweak here and there and I’m right in there.”

Welcome back, Mr. Huerta

• Makington says:

After seeing fighter after fighter give up their gloves for make up, it’s pretty refreshing to see someone put them back on.

• moosebaby02 says:

so Makington. I still think the best I ever saw him was the 3rd round of him vs Clay. The look in his eyes after knowing he lost the first two rounds was damn right scary. He look very good vs Maynard. cant wait to see who they match him up with “WHEN” the UFC re-signs him

• Makington says:

I had a gif of the third round stare down in my signature on another site. It is hands down the best stare down anyone has ever seen. You could just see it in Roger’s eyes. He would have died for that fight, and I say that with certainty. That fight just so happens to be in my top 5 personal favourites.

I’ll be excited to see him fight again. He also seemed a lot more mature in his Maynard fight. There was no talk of cakewalks and him being unbeatable.

• manny says:

Once you turn dawn Dana he doesnt like you and expects you to kiss his feet b4 he offers a contract to you. I say huerta will end up in strikeforce.

• fanoftna33 says:

Huerta vs Gurgel in Strikeforce would be a huge fight. If he does not resing with the ufc that is.

• Angry Mike says:

Losing to Maynard may hurt his bargaining position with UFC, but they’ll want Huerta back. That was a close fight, and that was as tentative as I’ve seen Maynard. Clearly he had respect for Huerta or he would’ve tried to run over him. I think Huerta is one of those fighters who will actually learn something from a loss and improve, but he has to focus on fighting and not get distracted by peripheral stuff like acting. I just don’t see him stepping away from UFC, which is still the Big Show, and I just don’t see UFC kicking him to the curb.

• moosebaby02 says:

Dana wants him more than ever since losing Rampage. But this about Huerta. Mike Maynard had the respect for him and was tentative cause he tasted Huerta power and was ROCKED in the 1st. He shook of the cobwebs when the round was done but didnt want to just jump right in there. In the 3rd is were he knew the fight was close and thats when he took the chance of gained the confedance for the take down. Still was a great fight on both parts.

• shotokai_ says:

I never used to like Huerta. Mainly because I thought his abilities were overrated, his background was over hyped and that he was only able to pull both off due to his good looks. Plus in the pre-fight interviews when he fought Florian he looked at the camera and said “I don’t think I’ll ever lose man” in what was possibly the cheesiest and least believable MMA line I’ve ever heard.

But, after seeing him tough out that gruesome Kimura, my opinion has changed. His shoulder was popping, no doubt about it, and he gutted it. I reckon you can count the number of fighters that would be able/willing to do that, in the entire sport, on two hands. Respect!

• shotokai_ says:

Also @Fan Huerta vs Gurgel would not be a “huge fight”. That’s a ridiculous thing to say. I’ve absolutely no desire to see that fight as it would end in one sided decision to Huerta, Gurgel is no where near him in ability.

• edub says:

Yea definately agree Shoto. I actually dont think Gurgel would make it all the way through the beating he would recieve. If the UFC keeps him I would love for him and Tyson Griffin to go at it.

• Bullylover says:

the ufc will keep huerta,no doubt about it. they need him to break into mexico.sure they got efrain but efrain isn’t as good looking or charismatic as huerta wich trust me goes a very,very,long way with the mexican woman in mexico.there are as many woman are there are men in mexico and trust me they are just like the men when they see “something ” they like.Trust me mexican woman will spend money on anything they like.but yeah, i’m really excited to see that huerta still has his heart set on fighting.He is still young and has what it takes to be a top contender in the Lw division.

• Rich S. says:

I’ve never been a fan of Huerta, but this is just awesome..

• hindsightufuk says:

personally have a lot of time for Huerta, may not be the best technically but he always enteretains.
    Great news