Frank Trigg given one last chance in the UFC

It seems as though Frank Trigg will not be getting cut from the UFC after all.

After a lackluster performance where Trigg was defeated in a first round TKO by Josh Koscheck at UFC 103, Dana White suggested “Twinkle Toes” has fought his last fight in the octagon. Trigg himself was quoted as saying if this were the case; he would walk away from MMA altogether.

However, Trigg learned on Monday the UFC would give the veteran fighter one more shot with the organization. He recently spoke with MMAJunkie.com and discussed his situation, “I’ll get one more shot, another fight, to prove I belong here. If I win, they’ve got to keep me around. If I lose and it’s back-to-back losses, they’ll probably drop me, rightfully so.”

Initial reports were that his UFC deal was a one and done, stemming from the beat-down he received by Koscheck, but Trigg said he was told a different story by the UFC, “They basically said, ‘If you lose, we have to keep you for one more fight since Josh is a top-five guy and it’s such a tough fight. That’s why I was so surprised that Dana said that I was being cut.”

It now seems by the grace of the UFC or the overwhelming argument from fans about Trigg being cut, he is being given at least one more opportunity to prove he’s still the premier fighter he once was.

Trigg ended by saying, “I’m ready to fight, and I want to fight,” he said. “But I just want to fight in the UFC.”

• bigbadjohn says:

how’s that saying about old dogs and tricks go again?

• fanoftna33 says:

Finally some good news this week. I hope that Trigg has worked out the rust. This reminds me of the ime Evan Tanner came back to fight. You could tell in his first fight he was not ready, but in his second fight he really took it to a bigger and younger fighter. Hopefully Trigg can pull it off and get a third fight.

• xtreme_machine says:

this time give him an up and comer not a top contender

maybe Johnny Hendricks

• Lord Faust says:

Even if Trigg loses again, I think they should keep him around for other things. Although Mir is OK as a broadcaster, I think Trigg would do very well commentating on WEC events. Trigg is a natural talker and knows what he’s talking about. Mir and Trigg together might be a good announcing team, actually.

Either way, glad to see Trigg’s getting another shot. As everyone else has said, losing to Koscheck is not exactly an embarrassment by any stretch of the imagination.

• hindsightufuk says:

my one lasting memory of Frank Trigg is the first time he took over from Bas in Pride. I remember watching one of the Bushido’s and seeing him sitting next to Mauro and thinking, whats this cheesey cunt doing on my tv with his curly mop of hair and his big fake grin. Then it turns out the fucker was taking over from Bas for good. And suddenly Pride wasnt as much fun to watch. So fuck Frank Trigg for making me mute Pride on occasions. Never really cared for him as a fighter that much, but i hate him as a commentator.
    With everyone around here quick to jump up and say fuck Rampage and fuck cro cop, i’d like to say fuck frank trigg

• Angry Mike says:

@hindsightufuk:

You’ve got style, my man.

Trigg can be an annoying twit, but getting steamrolled by Kos was about what everyone expected. He should get another fight to see whether he’s still competiitve. Just result, imo.

• metalmulisha says:

Trigg is being kept around for 2 reasons IMO.

Number 1 he strikes me as the type of person that kisses ass with the best of them, and number 2 he’ll get matched up with a fighter who Zuffa is trying to get a win.

My best memories of Trigg are after he cheap shot-ted Matt Hughes with a low blow and tried to finish him he couldn’t and ended up losing a minute and a half later.
    But most of all get knocked cold and left on his ass in the corner of the ring by Robbie Lawler.

• Makington says:

People hate him a lot more in this thread than the last, but my view hasn’t changed. I’d like to still see him around for another fight. I think he still has the potential to be good. Not great, but good, and it looks like he really has grown up a lot over his last 4 years.