Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic: ‘I don’t feel the hunger anymore’, ‘I want a normal life’

Cro CopMirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has come to grips with the fact that his best days are behind him when it comes to performing at the highest level of mixed martial arts.

While there were many that feared a crushed orbital or cheekbone as the reason for Mirko’s early resignation in his UFC 103 bout with Junior dos Santos this past weekend, in a recent interview with the Croatian newspaper Jutarnji, Cro Cop cited a mixture of blood and sweat flowing into his eye as the reason for calling it quits in the third round of the match-up, explaining, “Dos Santos cut my eye lid. Blood and sweat gave me a narrow field of vision. I stood like a blind man, I’m in a cage. At one point at the end of the fight I thought the referee was my opponent. Later it turned out that I cut the inside wall of my eyelid. In the locker room I was given four sutures”

A cut may be the reason Filipovic is giving for bowing out of the contest, but he will be the first to admit that the true reason for his lackluster performance runs much deeper than the gash that tattooed his eyelid following the bout.

“This was not the kind of performance the public pay for,” admitted Cro Cop. “I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I have started playing it safe, I’m not prepared to take risks.”

“I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 am and working hard physically until 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should have quit after I won the [PRIDE FC] Open Weight Grand Prix.”

The word around the campfire is that the former PRIDE champion is a wrap. A done deal when it comes to performing at the highest level of the game, and if you asked Mirko, he’d be hard pressed to argue with you, stating, “Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. I have twenty years of training like a spartan behind me. It has caught up with me, my body is broken down. I’ve been worn out.”

If this is really the end of the road for Cro Cop, it is a sad day for the world of mixed martial arts. Hopefully history will look back on Filipovic in the future and give him the credit he is due for increasing the popularity of this great sport when it needed it the most.

Thank you Mirko.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is sad news for mma, as rarely have we seen a truely fearsome striker like Cro Cop. Although it is very refreshing to hear a fighter come out and tell people so candidly what his thoughts are and why he may call it a careere.

• dpk says:

It will be good for a lot of the new fans to the sport to see the real Cro Cop when Zuffa starts the best of Pride series early next year.

• davebo says:

“I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka”….haha..that’s kind of a funny line. Dos Santos is thinking about ripping his head off, and CroCop is thinking about throwing a line out.

• hindsightufuk says:

much love to Mirko for being honest, not enough people have the nuts to tell it like it is.
    one of best, major props to him.

• moosebaby02 says:

at least he is man enough to tell it how it is. if he is done thanks for the memories and for the wars when you were in there to fight. nuff respect goe’s out to him from me. it takes alot to comment on where he is at this point of his life

• Angry Mike says:

Let’s see if he really retires. Will he second guess his statements and announce that he’s rediscovered his enthusiasm? A guy who’s been training for one form of combat or another for 20 years may not be able to quit cold turkey. I don’t think that fishing would give him the same rush of adrenaline.

• mikefab says:

Hopefully Mirko retires. He seemed very scared to “pull the trigger” in many of his UFC fights. It is nice to see a fighter know when it is time to hang it up.

• ronin1974 says:

Definitely some of the best footage ever to come out of MMA. Hate to see a kicker like you go. Anytime you want to fish the Gulf Coast let me know!!!! Maybe we’ll see you at your coffee shop in Croatia!!! Enjoy your time and your family!!

• cocoonofhorror says:

somehow CC was the last to know.

• neijia says:

Thanks a lot, Mirko, for your great fights. You owe it to yourself to enjoy fishing and other pursuits after all this time.

• edub says:

Cro Cop I would raid a house with you anyday. Your a legend.

• xtreme_machine says:

is true man,

Cro Cop is a legend , and he should be respected for what he did for the sport and all the wars he was in that entertained millions of fans all over the world

• I hope he retires for good. The Mirko of old was a killer. I would like to remember him for that and not for his recent string of UFC fights. Hope he lives a happy life.

• I don’t think he ever mentally recovered from the Gonzaga KO.

Either way, the man is a legend and I thank him for tons of entertainment.

• mac wilson says:

Cro Cop has been one of my favourites as well and he deserves every ounce of my respect IMO.

An incredible person with an incredible life and one of the most exciting fighters ever at his peak.

Thanks.

• bigbadjohn says:

hats off to a great career cro cop. I wonder what a “normal life” is like when you know you are capable of kicking any average person’s head clean off their torso. I guess kinda like clark kent